Cheapest way to get a 360?

APE992

CAGiversary!
If theres already a thread detailing this forgive me and point me in the right direction.

I've got the money to pony up a full fledged Premium 360. My research so far has concluded:

Amazon.com - $400 flat, no tax, no shipping charge.
Buy.com - $395.98 with googlecheck and shipping. With tax that comes out to $425.27
ZipZoomFly - $400 flat, no tax no shipping, out of stock currently.

Stats: I'm in California so anything instate will require taxes. Local sales tax is 7.75%. I'd prefer to do this online but if theres any way to beat the tax back by going to a store I'd take that. Circuit City, EB/GS/ Best Buy, GameCrazy, Target and Wal-mart are all local.

Thanks in advance for any help given.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Wrong forum dude, there's a Deals request forum.

On topic: I suggest Toys R Us. This week get a Premium $400 and get a free $100 giftcard on the spot.[/quote]

I knew I was doing something wrong. If anyone can move this thread I'd be grateful.

Mine was +/- $345, free shipping and no tax from Overstock. Like you, I'm in California - wait till Overstock has one of their 12% off codes or so, and go for it.

If you're not into that, Toys R Us has a $100 giftcard with the purchase of a 360 Premium - it's like getting a game and extra controller. You'll get screwed on tax though.

Target is offering it with a $100 giftcard this week I think though I'm not fully sure on that. Also, if you shop online, you can usually get it for $350.

Check around the deals forums from time to time.

A savings of $68 is to be had if bought at Toys R Us. I can't for the life of me remember how I figured that out as it's 1am.

If Target is selling them with a $100 giftcard I can ask as my friends brother in law is the assitant manager at the Target I got my Wii from.

Dang it, the draw of the 360 has been pulling me in too. I almost bit on the 20% off Overstock deal. I don't need another system though as I'm still working on a backlog as it is. :p

I'm guessing before summer the 360 will see a price drop (just in time for the Wii and PS3 to actually be in stock). I may see what's up then.

[quote name='daroga']Dang it, the draw of the 360 has been pulling me in too. I almost bit on the 20% off Overstock deal. I don't need another system though as I'm still working on a backlog as it is. :p

I'm guessing before summer the 360 will see a price drop (just in time for the Wii and PS3 to actually be in stock). I may see what's up then.[/QUOTE]
I'm in the same boat. It's killing me not to have any of the next-gen (well, now "current gen") consoles yet. Never mind that I can never seem to find the time to play through my own backlog. I might actually be two price drops away from getting one.

Overstock.coms 12% off coupon comes with unwritten stipulations, mainly that it doesn't apply to media items. Low and behold the 360 is a media item.

EDIT: Seems if you complain they will give you the discount, which is then applied on your account. My middle name got typod and I fixed it post discount. My account shows a $400 charge instead of $352, I'll post again once I find out what it ends up as.

[quote name='APE992']Overstock.coms 12% off coupon comes with unwritten stipulations, mainly that it doesn't apply to media items. Low and behold the 360 is a media item.

EDIT: Seems if you complain they will give you the discount, which is then applied on your account. My middle name got typod and I fixed it post discount. My account shows a $400 charge instead of $352, I'll post again once I find out what it ends up as.[/QUOTE]
Yo, add a filler item (I used a $3 sharpie) and it'll apply the discount. You'll also score the cheap shipping as well.

It seriously might be worth the trip to microcenter, just find something else you want to do in Santa Cruz.

I got the 100 dollar MIR, and 100 cash back for signing up for there VISA card and putting the 360 on it. Thats 200 bux for a 360 Premium. You're not going to beat that.

If it wasn't already being charged to my account I'd consider it. 2-3 hour drive through a section of the state I haven't been through in years let alone haven't driven through.

We will see how this goes with overstock. Probably won't get the thing until after X-mas being they apparently ship media mail only.

Yeah, I'm close to pulling the trigger on the 360. I finally got my free Gears Of War last week and it's been begging me to play it. I hadn't heard of the Target deal. Is this YMMV cause I didn't see it in the ad anywhere this week?

[quote name='APE992']Assistant Manager said there was no such deal.

How'd you get Gears of War for free?[/QUOTE]

E3 2006. Mountain Dew people were giving out free bottles of the "Nectar Of The Tards" with instant win game pieces. I won GOW and Too Human when they are released and GOW came in last week. Who knows when Too Human is gonna be released but it looked horrible at the show. I shoulda picked Forza 2 instead....

[quote name='APE992']Closest one is in Santa Cruz, I'd have to drive about an hour or 2 to get there.[/quote]are you sure? the store locator only shows a couple in southern california.

[quote name='paddlefoot']I was at gamestop the other day and somebody sold their 360 to them for $177.00, so if you could wait by a gamestop :roll:[/quote]

Why anyone trades in in anything at EB Games or Gamestop is beyond me.

Yeh, I tried to trade in some junk games at a GameCrazy. He told us they won't take anything unless it had value. My question to the clerk was that if it was of value why the hell would they bring it to you to be paid 1/4 it's value when ebay will give it to them in full?

My misttake, Santa Cruz, not Clara. Still only 2 hours or so.

What do people think about the Overstock deal Vs. TRU deal Vs. EB/Gamestop After Christmas deal?

I plan on getting at least a 1 year warranty on the console regardless of where I get it. The Overstock deal seems to be the cheapest, but I'd have to get the warranty from Microsoft and I don't don't really want their warranty due to the shipping time involved if there is a problem. TRU deal is nice but tax and the warranty would pretty much eat up any savings from the giftcard. So that leaves Eb/Gamestop, I'd get the free warranty but I have 0 interest in GRAW. Right now I'm leaning towards the EB deal and trying to trade GRAW here for something else.

The Overstock.com 12% or 10% off $400 is the best deal right now IMO, but you can score 6% more off + $5 sign up bonus by signing up @ http://www.fatwallet.com/ first then go through their Overstock 10% -12% off.

Add the cheapest non-media item you can find, to get the $398.99 Xbox 360 over $400 so the coupon will work.

10% off $405 = $365

12% off $405 = $357

Plus, that's before the FatWallet 6% rebate.

6% of $365 = $21 cash back

6% of $357 = $21 cash back

[quote name='jimbodan']What do people think about the Overstock deal Vs. TRU deal Vs. EB/Gamestop After Christmas deal?

I plan on getting at least a 1 year warranty on the console regardless of where I get it. The Overstock deal seems to be the cheapest, but I'd have to get the warranty from Microsoft and I don't don't really want their warranty due to the shipping time involved if there is a problem. TRU deal is nice but tax and the warranty would pretty much eat up any savings from the giftcard. So that leaves Eb/Gamestop, I'd get the free warranty but I have 0 interest in GRAW. Right now I'm leaning towards the EB deal and trying to trade GRAW here for something else.[/QUOTE]
What is the EB deal? Free warranty and GRAW with premium 360?

Seriously, any help with the EB/GS deal? My 360 just decided to go dead on my and I need to pick up a replacement (no way am I forking over $140 for sketchy repair service). I'm currently eyeing the TRU $100 GC w/ a premium but the one by me is sold out. Otherwise I'm just going to go to Microcenter and get a Core with the MIR and cross my fingers. Of course I'll be parting out the extra core stuff (controller, Power box, broken console) on eBay....

Yo OP...do you have a Costco membership?

If any of you are concerned about warranties, remember that Costco has a LIFETIME warranty on everything they sell. You could take back a PS1, and even if it doesn't ring up in their system, they will look it up against your purchase history and if you bought it there, give you full purchase price in cash or exchange it.

If it drops in price, say to $300 or even better, $250 (I can dream damnit!) for the Premium, then I say pick up the 360 bundle there.

Plus I have a corporate Costco card so no 8.25% Cali Tax on "resale" items WOOT! Everything I buy there is for "resale".

Seriously, any help with the EB/GS deal? My 360 just decided to go dead on my and I need to pick up a replacement (no way am I forking over $140 for sketchy repair service). I'm currently eyeing the TRU $100 GC w/ a premium but the one by me is sold out. Otherwise I'm just going to go to Microcenter and get a Core with the MIR and cross my fingers. Of course I'll be parting out the extra core stuff (controller, Power box, broken console) on eBay....

If you are morally/ethically "challenged"/questionable, then just buy one, preferably with cash, and pull the old switcheroo. Switch out the bad console and return it. You will undoubtedly have to change the stickers, but it is worth it. If you buy it at Costco, you will get 100% cash back.

The switcheroo will be hard to pull off as all Serial Numbers are now recorded on the receipt itself.

However, I got my xbox 360 for free although it takes a bit of "working" to get it free. I did the Microcenter rebate along with opening a new CC and got $200 off. Also I signed up for a year of Vonage (which I needed for my office anyhow) and got an instant $200 off.

The catch is, in order to get the $100 off from the credit card, you need to spend $399. The problem is that the Vonage instant gift card is an instantaneous deduction which will drop your system to $199. As advised by the sales rep, I bought an external HD valued at $200. The total purchase came out to be 399$ + tax. I exited the store, put the xbox 360 in the car, re-entered the store and returned the HD.

This way I fulfilled the 399$ point of purchase requirement to get the 100$ check for opening the credit card. They don't care if you return the "$200 filler" item immediately afterwards as long as you made a $399 purchase immediately after opening the account.

So in essence, I paid only $32 in tax for my Xbox360. I went back the next day to buy a 1 year warranty just in case.

Wait till E3 2007. I'm sure MS will announce some sort of price drop AND a new HD-DVD 360 SKU. But that's just my humble, outrageous speculation.

[quote name='karkyco']Yo OP...do you have a Costco membership?

If any of you are concerned about warranties, remember that Costco has a LIFETIME warranty on everything they sell. You could take back a PS1, and even if it doesn't ring up in their system, they will look it up against your purchase history and if you bought it there, give you full purchase price in cash or exchange it.[/quote]

I personally do not but my parents both have Executive memberships. Overstock has shipped my 360 but I won't hesitate to go to Costco if this ends badly somehow, even if I do have to pay sales tax. Good to know they offer lifetime warrenties, I'll get my HDDVD drive from them.

[quote name='karkyco']Yo OP...do you have a Costco membership?

If any of you are concerned about warranties, remember that Costco has a LIFETIME warranty on everything they sell. You could take back a PS1, and even if it doesn't ring up in their system, they will look it up against your purchase history and if you bought it there, give you full purchase price in cash or exchange it.

If it drops in price, say to $300 or even better, $250 (I can dream damnit!) for the Premium, then I say pick up the 360 bundle there.

Plus I have a corporate Costco card so no 8.25% Cali Tax on "resale" items WOOT! Everything I buy there is for "resale".

If you are morally/ethically "challenged"/questionable, then just buy one, preferably with cash, and pull the old switcheroo. Switch out the bad console and return it. You will undoubtedly have to change the stickers, but it is worth it. If you buy it at Costco, you will get 100% cash back.[/QUOTE]

Just a quick thanks Kark. I was wanting a 360 for a while, but was concerned about hardware failure at some point in the future and I HATE paying for extended warranties. I checked out Costco (B&M) and they had a 360 Premium bunded with an extra wireless controller, quick charger + extra battery, and an Arcade Unplugged for $489 minus an instance $25 rebate. Final total was about $485 after tax PLUS you get Costo's FREE LIFETIME warranty.

Anyhow, good deal and thanks again!

[quote name='CounterSeal']Wait till E3 2007. I'm sure MS will announce some sort of price drop AND a new HD-DVD 360 SKU. But that's just my humble, outrageous speculation.[/QUOTE]

Not to be the bearer of bad news but e3 was cancelled back in August. There is another expo that will be replacing it for the consumer. It will not be held in the month of May but rather in the summer.

I don't know about the price drop..... or a combo pack... Honestly.... by then you would have missed all the fun of owning one.

bread's done
Back