Cheapy, roll up your sleeves and let's fix Motorstorm

mik

CAGiversary!
I'm not talking full-scale overhauls. I'm not even talking about things that would require extensive additional development time. As I see it, there are three quick and (relatively) simple things that could be done--beyond adding online play--to make Motorstorm feel like the complete, AA title it deserves to be.

1. Variance in vehicle attributes within each class. Currently, the game offers a number of different vehicles of each type, but every one has, apparently, the same attributes. Seems it would be easy enough to A) let you see what those attributes are, and B) offer some variation in each model--so one would have better acceleration, handling, boost, or top speed. Simple, but it would go a long way to filling out the car selection, without even adding customization (which I imagine would be much more of an undertaking).

2. Add two simple game modes. Adding "time attack" and "free play" options would be very easy to do and would allow, in a game with no multiplayer, at least leaderboards to compare yourself to both the people you know that have a PS3. A free play mode would be an excellent way to not only learn the tracks and shortcuts, but to screw around with the nifty physics the game offers. I remember getting the first Motocross Madness on the PC and spending the majority of my time messing around in the free ride mode.

3. Add a pair of race types. Speaking of the nifty physics, why on earth would they not implement a couple race types that would really put them on display? I think on each ticket they could easily put in a "down-and-back" style race with more confined boundaries to encourage some head-on traffic and wicked crashes. Also, in that spirit, it would be easy (and tons of fun) to have a couple levels that are just in one of the basins of the other tracks, with all the rocks and outcroppings, and make a demolition derby type mode. Last car standing wins. Or a "king of the hill" game on one of the buttes, with the object being to knock off the other cars, one by one.

I hope at least a couple of these are addressed in the US release, and perhaps even more. There are great possibilities for online play--what about a cat-and-mouse game like PGR had? I'd love to play that with a bunch of big rigs chasing a lone ATV rider through the mud.

*sigh*

I'll keep my fingers crossed (but doubt any of it will come to fruition).

Gotta have something to add for the sequel..

Unfortunately this is going to be an increasing reality for Next Gen games. The original title will develop the engine and technology, sequels will add features. You've already seen it with EA. It just costs too much and takes too long to make these intricate new game engines to use them only once.

[quote name='jer7583']Gotta have something to add for the sequel..

Unfortunately this is going to be an increasing reality for Next Gen games. The original title will develop the engine and technology, sequels will add features. You've already seen it with EA. It just costs too much and takes too long to make these intricate new game engines to use them only once.[/QUOTE]
True, but all this is going to lead to is less and less people buying original properties, and instead waiting on sequels that may never come.

[quote name='elwood731']True, but all this is going to lead to is less and less people buying original properties, and instead waiting on sequels that may never come.[/QUOTE]

Ideally, and it will discourage this behavior, again, Ideally.

Can't have too much faith in the intelligence of people, however. They like to buy shiny things.

[quote name='jer7583']Ideally, and it will discourage this behavior, again, Ideally.

Can't have too much faith in the intelligence of people, however. They like to buy shiny things.[/QUOTE]
Ideally? I'm not sure if I'm not understanding your post, or you misunderstood mine. People not buying original properties is a bad thing. I don't really want Full Auto 6 next year as much as I'd like to see something completely different at its time like Ico was.

bread's done
Back