CheapyD at E3 2007? UPDATE: Invite received!

friedram

CAG Newbie
3/7/07 UPDATE: Click here

With the recent changes being made to E3- it seems that there are some who think the restrictions are a good thing.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6155038.html

Michael Pachter, analyst with Wedbush Morgan Securities:
I think that the right way to look at E3 is to step back and ask yourself why we have the show in the first place. From the publishers' and the developers' and the console manufacturers' perspective, the reason they have the show is to generate positive press about their products. I'm not sure that there are 60,000 people who matter in generating positive press.

I think there are 5,000 people who matter, and then 50 million who matter because they actually buy the products.

I'm not sure that next incremental 55,000 who show up really influence opinion making.

Ken Levine, cofounder, Irrational Games:
Like most things, it's probably good for the big boys and probably bad for the little guys. If you've got a bunch of games to show, you can host a giant event, fly in journalists, give them good food, have the Spice Girls reunite, etc., and spread all those costs across all those big games. If you're a small publisher with just a couple of titles, well, then you're kind of hosed.

I'm just surprised this didn't happen sooner. Some of the biggest games at E3 had very low-key presentations. We were fortunate enough this year to have a great response to BioShock, and we were just showing it off in a tiny little room on a medium-sized television. I'm sure that didn't make some of the big guys spending zillions of dollars on the same show floor very happy. I'm sure there are big players wondering, "Why bother? We'll just do our own thing where there's no competition."

I think the biggest loser is the "universal awareness of the games biz" in the sense that there's no longer a single event for the mainstream press to wrap their head around. It was sort of like an annual holiday where the "Live at Five" anchor-bots talked about the game industry for five minutes. I always thought that was good for a laugh.

[quote name='sying']We need to make a convention like PAX. CAX maybe?[/quote]

This idea requires immediate CAG Comic #3 attention! The potential for hilarity is immense.

Cheap Over Cool Kontent Stuff

How about that? For short we could abbreviate it.... :whistle2:D

Meh- CAX is better! :)

I think you are missing an option in the poll.

"It's too early to tell. Let's see what the new incarnation will be first."

[quote name='daphatty']I think you are missing an option in the poll.

"It's too early to tell. Let's see what the new incarnation will be first."[/quote]

Well, yeah, that I agree with.

He won't be invited because he's not really a media outlet and you can't pay to get in... well unless you got a shit load of cash.

[quote name='thorbahn3']He won't be invited because he's not really a media outlet and you can't pay to get in... well unless you got a shit load of cash.[/quote]Well fuck you too! Thanks for the vote of confidence.
I guarantee I will be there.

[quote name='CheapyD']Well fuck you too! Thanks for the vote of confidence.
I guarantee I will be there.[/QUOTE]

when did you get a shitload of cash?

I guarantee I will be there.[/QUOTE]

Lol! I read that it will be held next July, be in two hotels and only 5,000 people will be invited. Nothing personal but I highly doubt you or even I could get in.

[quote name='thorbahn3']Lol! I read that it will be held next July, be in two hotels and only 5,000 people will be invited. Nothing personal but I highly doubt you or even I could get in.[/QUOTE]Wow.

[quote name='thorbahn3']Lol! I read that it will be held next July, be in two hotels and only 5,000 people will be invited. Nothing personal but I highly doubt you or even I could get in.[/QUOTE]

...and who are you, again?

[quote name='SMMM']...and who are you, again?[/QUOTE]

he's Tomonobu Itagaki.

[quote name='SMMM']...and who are you, again?[/QUOTE]

Doesn't anyone read banners or do they blur them out of their minds like commercials?

[quote name='thorbahn3']Doesn't anyone read banners or do they blur them out of their minds like commercials?[/QUOTE]

I'd go with the latter.

[quote name='sying']We need to make a convention like PAX. CAX maybe?[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure calling it CAX is the best idea.

[quote name='Kuros']I'm not sure calling it CAX is the best idea.[/QUOTE]

Only if I get to be the official mascot, as I am the only one worthy.

Funny, I looked into having a mini CAG convention during the week of E3 2006, but the hotels were way to expensive.

I am glad for the E3 change, but that does mean "less important public members" will probably not be invited. If Cheapy is not invited than I guess the public gaming industry would see him "less important" though I think he/you have an impact on the industry largely for providing a service to a particular audience.

If anything, there's always Game Developers Conference. Though it's more technical, I always liked how they were less overblown than E3.

What's really interesting is, reading the op here, it really makes sense. 5,000 people really do hit the "important" press members. The games will still have their buzz. Really, for those of us who don't go, will we really notice much of a difference (the live coverage will be the same, we'll still hear about the new games).

I think this is a much bigger deal to the press members, who pretty much have a 5 day party here. Sure, it's normally hectic running from presentation to presentation while having to write stuff in the middle, but the free beer and hot woman made it all worth it (plus, for a few days, you get to feel like a big shooter).

I'm really wondering why people feel so strongly about this, when it just doesn't effect most people.

I agree, this seems to make sense. Why does some assclown from the local Gamestop need to go to E3? Most of the people who go to E3 have no real reason to be there. I doubt there's even 5,000 people that need to be there.

[quote name='rlse9']I agree, this seems to make sense. Why does some assclown from the local Gamestop need to go to E3? Most of the people who go to E3 have no real reason to be there. I doubt there's even 5,000 people that need to be there.[/QUOTE]

I'll agree also. 5,000 media people seems like it would cover every reasonably viable site/podcast/magazine out there. Unfortunately, I was planning on going next year for the first time and I'm not exactly viable.

[quote name='FlashStash']
Dude you're bald ass ain't getting into E3 anymore...be prepared for the rejection. You need to look around a bit and do some research about who these shows will be run for...it's not you.
[/quote]

[quote name='thorbahn3']He won't be invited because he's not really a media outlet and you can't pay to get in... well unless you got a shit load of cash.[/quote]
I guarantee I will be there.[/quote]
I hate to say, "I told you so." Oh, wait...no I don't.

[quote name='thorbahn3']He won't be invited because he's not really a media outlet and you can't pay to get in... well unless you got a shit load of cash.[/quote]

Aren't you the dude who posted at 1up bragging about getting a random bag of stuff from them and than had his same letter posted in two different magazines?

Anyways, Cheapy could be invited if he started posting random video games news instead of just deals. Either way I never really cared about E3 so it doesn't matter to me.

[quote name='Thongsy']Aren't you the dude who posted at 1up bragging about getting a random bag of stuff from them and than had his same letter posted in two different magazines?

Anyways, Cheapy could be invited if he started posting random video games news instead of just deals. Either way I never really cared about E3 so it doesn't matter to me.[/QUOTE]
Of course you never cared, or you would've seen a few posts up where Cheapy got his invite.

[quote name='CheapyD']I hate to say, "I told you so." Oh, wait...no I don't.[/QUOTE]

I don't know how I missed the "Well fuck you too" quote but good shit man!

[quote name='gunm']Is E3 even relevant anymore?
/puts on the fireshield[/quote]

Seeing as how they're starting over with a clean slate and this will be the first of its kind, my answer is, "We'll see." I don't think anyone can predict whether it will be any good, or a waste of time in its new incarnation.

E3 might not be nearly as flashy as it used to be, but I think the information that is leaked/reported out from the conference is going to be a lot more interesting.

I'm not positive, but I hope the press conference from the big three are still going to be in effect, that is probably the best part of E3.

Cheapy didn't get invited, he got one of the guys at Joystiq to take a picture of the invite and send it to him. That's why you don't see anything addressed to Cheapy, David, or anything of the sort :)

bread's done
Back