CheapyD at Tokyo Game Show 2010

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[IMG-R=5838]18100[/IMG-R]The Tokyo Game Show kicks off today and I'll be there! I'll be sharing my thoughts INSTANTLY via Twitter in audio, video, and text form. If you don't have a Twitter account, you can find my updates on the front page of CAG, in the right column. Post your questions & comments in this discussion thread and I'll try to get back to you pronto!

iconcag.gif
CheapyD on Twitter - AudioBoo - Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:
Audioboo seems to be down for me...
@Buuhan1 Try again? I'm listening to it now just fine. @CheapyD keep up the updates, we appreciate it! Also, are you sure you don't want to do a show this week?

Here's a few questions--

I've got a passionate dislike for most Japanese games for their plot weaknesses and one-dimensional characters punctuated with terrible dialogue. I know that Western-developed shooters have many similarly well-worn conventions, for example they seem to all have a protagonist that's a marine or a space marine shooting rocket launchers. How are Western-developed *non-shooters* along the lines of RPG's like Fable 3, Mass Effect 2 on PS3, Dragon Age 2, or a strategy game like Civ V being received by Japanese gamers and/or the Japanese gaming press?

By the way, with space being at such a premium in Japanese homes, I'd think a service like Steam would be really popular. Is that correct, or do Japanese gamers still prefer their games in boxes purchased at their local Sofmap?

How's the MS booth looking? Are they still trying to be a contender in the Japanese market, or just paying it lip service like they were a couple of years back? More importantly, did their party have an open bar, or just a lousy cash bar?

Looking forward to your coverage.

[quote name='phoenixdown3']@Buuhan1 Try again? I'm listening to it now just fine. @CheapyD keep up the updates, we appreciate it! Also, are you sure you don't want to do a show this week?[/QUOTE]

Guess the site just doesn't work on the PS3. (My PC went boom.)

Good for you Cheapy, I think some people forget this is a shopping site and get on your back for it. It's great too see your opinions on the events.

Cheapy, could you give us a general feel of the show in terms of whats popular? Overall, im looking to see which platform people are excited about most, if people are digging kinect, move, and also why if you see a Sega rep, please kick them in the balls for me for putting Valkyria Chronicles 3 on PSP, and then ask where is Daytona USA HD Remix for PSN/XBLA. Thanks.

Japan isn't the mecca of gaming it used to be.

US is getting all the special editions now, and Japanese games are getting edited. It's been reversed.

[quote name='2DMention']Japan isn't the mecca of gaming it used to be.

US is getting all the special editions now, and Japanese games are getting edited. It's been reversed.[/QUOTE]

I have to agree. I'm not going this year but I was at TGS last year and I was disappointed. I had fun and everything but it didn't live up to my expectations.

damn Cheapy, you think you got enough pics of the girls playing the kinect?!
im not complaining......but you were getting close to stalker status with that one.......

bread's done
Back