Cheat the system?

Randee Newman

CAG Veteran
I don't really like buying used games unless I know who I'm buying it from personally. Anyway, in regards to gamestop's B2G1 used sale, can i buy a new game, open it in the store, return it for store credit then rebuy it "used" on the spot? I know it seems unethical, but I just don't trust gamestop because 2 out of the 3 used things i bought there didn't work out of the package.

The second you open it, you're no longer returning a new game to them. So you'd be trading it in, instead of returning it.

Can't tell if you're trolling or if you're really just that dense, but I'm placing my bets on trolling. Regardless, it doesn't seem unethical, it is unethical. Besides, it wouldn't work for the reasons that others have already given.

[quote name='arcane93']Can't tell if you're trolling or if you're really just that dense, but I'm placing my bets on trolling. Regardless, it doesn't seem unethical, it is unethical. Besides, it wouldn't work for the reasons that others have already given.[/QUOTE]

I am voting dense. He asked the same thing in the deal forum, got it deleted, and decided this was a better place to ask. Rocket scientist.

[quote name='Randee Newman']I don't really like buying used games unless I know who I'm buying it from personally. Anyway, in regards to gamestop's B2G1 used sale, can i buy a new game, open it in the store, return it for store credit then rebuy it "used" on the spot? I know it seems unethical, but I just don't trust gamestop because 2 out of the 3 used things i bought there didn't work out of the package.[/QUOTE]

What you can do is buy it and then trade it in for store credit and rebuy it :D

The biggest and most obvious problem with this is your (false) assumption that just because it is open at gamestop it is "used". This is FAAAAAR from the case. Not only do they constantly sell open as new, they VERY often try to sell used as new.

[quote name='AJVtony831']What you can do is buy it and then trade it in for store credit and rebuy it :D[/QUOTE]

Or, buy it, piss on it, go back inside and say "I don't want this, someone pissed on it."

They'll refund you and then you can buy it again used. Problem is, some asshole pissed on your game already.

[quote name='mietha']The biggest and most obvious problem with this is your (false) assumption that just because it is open at gamestop it is "used". This is FAAAAAR from the case. Not only do they constantly sell open as new, they VERY often try to sell used as new.[/QUOTE]
Not sure what stores you go to but that doesn't seem possible. Everything we do is labeled and marked accordingly.

[quote name='mietha']The biggest and most obvious problem with this is your (false) assumption that just because it is open at gamestop it is "used". This is FAAAAAR from the case. Not only do they constantly sell open as new, they VERY often try to sell used as new.[/QUOTE]

yeah thats true. my friend worked at gamestop and told me that his store keeps 3 new copies of recently released games for the employees to borrow. they can borrow for a couple of weeks. and once theyre done, they reseal it with a machine they keep in the back lol

[quote name='giantqtipz']yeah thats true. my friend worked at gamestop and told me that his store keeps 3 new copies of recently released games for the employees to borrow. they can borrow for a couple of weeks. and once theyre done, they reseal it with a machine they keep in the back lol[/QUOTE]

Ok so that is one F'ed up store then. We are not allowed to keep copies for employees to borrow. We can only check out games we have already opened for display or for marketing and then only for 4 days. We have to wait at least one week to check out new games. As for the resealing goes, that all depends on weather or not the customers wants them resealed for gifts or not.

[quote name='Whinterfell']Ok so that is one F'ed up store then. We are not allowed to keep copies for employees to borrow. We can only check out games we have already opened for display or for marketing and then only for 4 days. We have to wait at least one week to check out new games. As for the resealing goes, that all depends on weather or not the customers wants them resealed for gifts or not.[/QUOTE]

The important question is when you return these games that are "opened for display" (isn't pretty much everything in Gamestop "opened for display"?) which you have "checked out", are they sold as new or used? Because they aren't new any more at that point.

I'm willing to grudgingly accept a game that has been gutted for store security purposes as "new" (though even that makes me take most of my business elsewhere), but as soon as some lard-ass Gamestop employee has taken it home, put the disc in his console, and run his Cheeto-encrusted fingers through the manual, it ain't new anymore.

bread's done
Back