Chibi-Robo Park Patrol is Wal-Mart exclusive

trunks982

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
http://gonintendo.com/?p=26275

1001071554.jpg

1001071555.jpg

Kinda tells you how much faith Nintendo has in this game when they make it a WM exclusive that's being released against Phantom Hourglass.

Could it really be that bad? I'd always heard of the GC original as kind of a sleeper hit... I almost bought it a couple times. I was hoping this would get good reviews.

[quote name='Cao Cao']Kinda tells you how much faith Nintendo has in this game when they make it a WM exclusive that's being released against Phantom Hourglass.[/quote]

Sure, especially when WM is the biggest retailer in America - if not the world.:roll: Most retail dollars go to them and they're aren't even included in the monthly video game numbers.

damn that logo thing sucks, I don't want to be reminded of wal-mart when playing. I hope the ratings are decent the GC one was great.

[quote name='UncleBob']Hopefully, the fine folks over at thecoverproject.net will get us all hooked up soon. :)[/quote]And...done.

LINK

WTF??

I was just wondering about this. I created a thread about this game a year ago when it was supposed to come out then :lol:.

Anyway, I saw on Metacritic that it was coming out today and they have 3 reviews up there which aren't too bad:

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ds/chibiroboparkpatrol

But a Walmart exclusive? Walmart basically doesn't exist to me... There really aren't even that many around me (much to my surprise as they are supposed to be the biggest retailer and all that). But for "Walmarty" stuff I'd much rather go to Target. I wouldn't get games at either place (except for the occasional Target clearance game). I really wanted to use my built-up Gamecrazy credit on this. I guess I'll have to wait for the odd used copy to show up.

I actually looked around today and EB/GS and Target don't even have the game listed. I just figured the release date was pushed back and metacritic was wrong. I would have never thought they'd make it a fucking Walmart exclusive. If this is true (and it doesn't get released soon to other retailers - maybe it is only exclusive for a bit), my opinion of Nintendo (or at least NoA) has gone WAY down...

[quote name='io']
I actually looked around today and EB/GS and Target don't even have the game listed. I just figured the release date was pushed back and metacritic was wrong. I would have never thought they'd make it a fucking Walmart exclusive. If this is true (and it doesn't get released soon to other retailers - maybe it is only exclusive for a bit), my opinion of Nintendo (or at least NoA) has gone WAY down...[/quote]Supposedly Walmart and Nintendo partnered up due to Walmart's environmental focus. Not a terrible business decision, given the enormity of the chain, but an annoying one.

I want this game, I loved the GC precursor. I loathe Walmart. I do not want to give Walmart my money.

What to do?

[quote name='chakan']I want this game, I loved the GC precursor. I loathe Walmart. I do not want to give Walmart my money.

What to do?[/QUOTE]

well...

i'm sure it'll be on ebay soon. you can give someone else your money. although, technically you'd be giving your money to walmart indirectly...

or you could wait to find a used copy at gamestop. that kinda removes the link between you and walmart...

or i suppose you could import the japanese one, if you don't mind that...

or...

you can just suck it up and go to walmart. they're not raping little girls or killing kittens. it's walmart. trust me, you'll survive.

[quote name='botticus']Supposedly Walmart and Nintendo partnered up due to Walmart's environmental focus. Not a terrible business decision, given the enormity of the chain, but an annoying one.[/QUOTE]

Whaaa?? Environmental focus? That's news to me...

Anyway, it is an annoying decision because believe it or not Walmarts are not ubiquitous. Like I said, there are 2 around here but nowhere I normally go. Also, I wouldn't be buying this for $30 from Target or any other place either. I wanted to use trade-in credit at EB or GC. So I guess I will be waiting for a used copy or until it is no longer exclusive. Oh well, didn't need another game for the backlog anyway. Hopefully this hurts sales enough they don't pull this kind of thing in the future. I know Walmart is the biggest retailer and all that, but it seems shortsighted to exclude EB/GS at any rate. Aren't they the biggest game seller, even over Walmart? Or it is close, anyway... They could have just given Walmart a Chibi plush bonus or something.

Is this game actually $35? Wal-Mart's site (well, the video games section at least) isn't working for me at the moment, so I can't check, but I noticed when I was reading IGN's review that on the side where they have all the miscellaneous info at, it has the MSRP listed as $34.99, which is pretty much highway robbery.

Nintendo must really hate this game for some reason. Releasing it on the same day as one of their biggest titles of the year and making exclusive to one retailer are already bad enough, but charging $35 for it as well would be the final nail in the coffin.

It is working now - showing $29.92 for me.

However, either their in-store availability tracker is a piece of crap, or they don't even have this widely available in store. Only 1 store that is 24 miles from me has it in stock within a 100 mile radius. Unless it sold out everywhere else, but I somehow doubt that.

[quote name='io']I know Walmart is the biggest retailer and all that, but it seems shortsighted to exclude EB/GS at any rate. Aren't they the biggest game seller, even over Walmart?[/QUOTE]

Back when EBGames/GameStop wanted to "merge", part of their case was the fact that even the merged company would still only be something like #3 or 4, Behind Wal*Mart (35-50%) and Toys R Us (20% or so)... I can't remember if there was a third company that accounted for more sales than EB/GS combined.

Now, this could have changed by then, but I doubt it...

[quote name='UncleBob']Back when EBGames/GameStop wanted to "merge", part of their case was the fact that even the merged company would still only be something like #3 or 4, Behind Wal*Mart (35-50%) and Toys R Us (20% or so)... I can't remember if there was a third company that accounted for more sales than EB/GS combined.

Now, this could have changed by then, but I doubt it...[/quote]

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if GS is #3 or #4, or maybe even lower. I can't quite grasp how a company that is completely based on selling games and systems has neither games nor systems to sell half the time. It's pretty obvious that the used game market is the only reason GS is still in business.

When you can't walk into a game store and buy a copy of Mario Strikers Charged or Metroid Prime 3 off the shelves, something is wrong. I now understand why they do the pre-order thing on everything except the huge games like Halo 3 and GTA - they want to keep the inventory of new games that they carry at an absolute minimum. They don't make enough money on new games to justify having an ample amount to sell to walk-ins, so they limit their stock to a handful of games and just hope people will continue getting ripped off on game trades.

You can't be #1 in games sales when all you sell is pre-orders and used games.

[quote name='io']Whaaa?? Environmental focus? That's news to me...
[/quote]

Hey, when every store in the world is out of business except for Wal-mart, think of all the land we'll get back!

[quote name='io']Whaaa?? Environmental focus? That's news to me...[/quote]
Yeah, WalMart jumped on the envirowagon a few years ago. They started pushing organics in their Super WalMarts (essentially by coasting by on the bare minimum definition of "organic"), pimping compact fluorescent lightbulbs, and a few other initiatives. Great PR for minimal effort on their part. Doesn't change the fact that they are fundamentally evil.

I know Walmart is the biggest retailer and all that, but it seems shortsighted to exclude EB/GS at any rate. Aren't they the biggest game seller, even over Walmart? Or it is close, anyway... They could have just given Walmart a Chibi plush bonus or something.
Not even close. WalMart is the far and away leader in game sales, followed, almost certainly, by Best Buy, Target, and TRU. THEN maybe EB/GS.

I love Chibi, and I will suck it up and go to a WalMart to get this game (I'd never step foot in one otherwise). But not right now, when I'm still playing Pokemon Pearl and just started Phantom Hourglass.

I really hope Chibi Robo makes it into Smash Bros. Brawl somehow. Poor lil guy.

I got a good laugh out of this review from Destructoid:

I still have no idea why this game is only available at Wal-Mart. If you decide to pick up this game, be sure to have a map ready with you, in case you get lost inside the giant cavern that is a Wal-Mart. Or, if you need to count how many Goron children are in the store.

Goron children!! - priceless.

I wanted to buy this but I also don't want it to stay at walmart price forever, since walmart NEVER drops prices on their games. I will just have to wait for the odd copy to show up on ebay or amazon or half.com or maybe even in gamestop, hopefully this game will slip under the radar so its forgotten about, then it will sell cheaply online.

Going to Wal-Mart to get this ended up being rather fruitful. I also found a silver Wavebird controller. Although it was $26, it was still well worth it.

Bump time.

Anybody else want to pick this up, but waiting for a price drop? There are about 6 copies at my Wal-Mart, and I check in every 1-2 months and they don't seem to have sold a single one. But I'm kind of paranoid about missing the clearance and missing out on the game. It seems to go for $35-45 shipped on-line, and I definitely don't want to pay that.

Curiously, about a month ago I saw about 3 copies of this (Brand New) at Micro Center. They were all marked with the same "Walmart Exclusive" sticker. How strange...

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Jeez, was I out of the loop on this one. I never knew this game was even out let alone a Wal-mart exclusive.[/QUOTE]
I'm in the same boat as you.

I picked up a sealed copy off of ebay for about $35, simply because I haven't seen it at any of my local Wal-marts and I didn't want it to get absurdly rare to the point where it'd be impossible to find for a reasonable price. Haven't played it yet, but I hope it'll be worth it. :)

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Jeez, was I out of the loop on this one. I never knew this game was even out let alone a Wal-mart exclusive.[/QUOTE]

Dude, Chibi is in your name! ;)

I bought a copy back when it came out, thinking it might become rare, but I still see it every time I go to Wal-Mart (still $29.99). At this rate, I don't see it becoming rare nor going on clearance anytime soon.

This game has been really fun, but unfortunately I'm already stuck and it's starting to get pretty irritating!

I have 60 flowers, all of the soil has turned green and there isn't any soil left for new flowers (it's all sand).

I've read some topics on forums about this - some mentioned getting the friends or breaking open boxes, etc... yet I can't find anything of the sort. The only thing I've found in town is Kid Kombo the monkey... he only tells me some stuff about dancing. He does want some monkey burgers, but the cook won't give me any because I don't have any 'moolah'.

Some mentioned about checking out the alley where the mouse was, but there is absolutely nothing back there. I can't find any other friends/toys and I've looked everywhere! What the heck am I supposed to do? The FAQ on GameFAQs was not helpful at all as it gives you no information on what to do to get beyond 60 flowers and how you find the toys and/or get the sand tilled into soil.

Thanks for any help... waiting to play this game some more!

Is this game still available at retail? I have a $10 Walmart gc and was hoping to use it on this, but it's not on the Web site anymore.

EDIT: Check that. Found a complete used copy on eBay for a great price. Hope the game's good.

This isn't one of those games where I'll have problems clearing the save data, is it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I can find this in a game bin for overflow games at Walmart... still priced at 30 though.

I've played a few minutes here and there and can't figure out why Nintendo would want to make this exclusive, this needs more coverage...

Yeah, the Walmart exclusitivty really sucks considering their game clearance sucks. I would have loved to have gotten this for 5.00 at Kmart or 7.48 at Target.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']I would have loved to have gotten this for 5.00 at Kmart or 7.48 at Target.[/quote]

I just don't think it's worth $30. I'd be happy buying it at $20.

bread's done
Back