Chibi-Robo.

The NP article mentioned that the story line gets a little dark with leanings towards a divorce, etc. Any comments from those who have gotten that far into it?

Wel, sort of. Spoiler warnings, blah, blah, blah blah-blah.

You get to a point in the game where the mother gets fed up with the father spending so much money on toys, so she locks herself in her room to figure things out. The daughter goes apeshit and stays up all night crying in the hall and staring at tv static. Healthy.

Right now I'm trying to round up stickers and think it's going to be a while. I just can't figure out the last couple of them (Yellow block for Dina, anyone!??!)

Just picked this up today.. great freakin' game! I played it for about four hours straight this evening and had a ball with it. Highly recommended for Nintendo fans.

Is there any other game you can compare it to? I like to support off-beat games, but at the same time, I can't justify a $50 purchase on a game I'll never play. For instance, if it borrows a lot from Animal Crossing that's cool, I understand why people dig that game, it just doesn't last long enough for me. But the comments about a story and puzzles, etc, make it sound almost akin to Zelda... in a stay-in-the-house sort of way. Thoughts?

[quote name='daroga']Is there any other game you can compare it to? I like to support off-beat games, but at the same time, I can't justify a $50 purchase on a game I'll never play. For instance, if it borrows a lot from Animal Crossing that's cool, I understand why people dig that game, it just doesn't last long enough for me. But the comments about a story and puzzles, etc, make it sound almost akin to Zelda... in a stay-in-the-house sort of way. Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

It is much more like Zelda than Animal Crossing. In fact, in no way is it like AC except for perhaps the "whimsy and charm". It is more like Zelda or Metroid Prime in that there are puzzles to solve and places to reach that you can't get to until you progress through the story and get different items. It also has a little Pikmin element to it in that you have a limited amount of time each day/night cycle to accomplish what you want. At the end of that time you get sent back to your "Chibi-house".

So I would say it is more a Zelda/Pikmin hybrid than anything else. Hope that helps :D.

[quote name='io']It is much more like Zelda than Animal Crossing. In fact, in no way is it like AC except for perhaps the "whimsy and charm". It is more like Zelda or Metroid Prime in that there are puzzles to solve and places to reach that you can't get to until you progress through the story and get different items. It also has a little Pikmin element to it in that you have a limited amount of time each day/night cycle to accomplish what you want. At the end of that time you get sent back to your "Chibi-house".

So I would say it is more a Zelda/Pikmin hybrid than anything else. Hope that helps :D.[/QUOTE]
Very much so! Thanks! I may have to check it out when (if) it drops in price a bit.

[quote name='daroga']Very much so! Thanks! I may have to check it out when (if) it drops in price a bit.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'd have a hard time paying $50 for it. But then, being a cheap-ass, I haven't paid $50 for ANY game EVER and can't think of a single one which I would buy for that price, not even Twilight Princess. I got it for about $15 using the GR preorder deal (in combination with profit from some high GR trade-in prices). But if there was no GR, I would have been happy to get this game for about $30-$35.

Welp, just beat the game last night after about 26 hours of game play, some of which to be honest was spent purposely avoiding major plot line triggers just to continue experiencing the unexpected joy of cleaning the house.

There's still a lot more to do in the game once the credits roll, too, so I expect I'll punch in about another ten hours with Chibi-Robo before moving on to my backlog.

The game remained highly playable/enjoyable and rewarding right up to the dramatic ending. Again, this game is absolutely fantastic. I picked it up for $40 but would argue that it could be seen as being well worth full price if you're genuinely appreciative of Nintendo's recent brand of fun.

Hopefully this game won't get overlooked and we'll see more of Chibi-Robo in the future...

At first I was excited about this game, then it got subpar reviews and I lost interest, but after reading Eurogamer's review and this board my interest is now at an all-time high. But I still have some burning questions before I can warrant a $35 purchase. Such as...

What is the core gameplay like? I understand that you have 15 min days (ala Pikmin) to collect stuff (also ala Pikmin), and that this involves some sort of platforming and puzzle solving. From what I gather, there isn't much fighting, so does the challenge come from exploring places within a given time limit, or is it more of a puzzle game ala Day of the Tentacle? And if so, are any of the puzzles at all challenging, or is it a pretty straight-forward game?

The only bad thing that everyone can agree upon with this game is that the unskipable talking sucks, but otherwise I could see this as being a really fantastic adventure game with mild action elements. Or I could see it as a string of medial tasks (like Harvest Moon) with only mild adventure/platforming elements, in wich case I wouldn't be too interested in it. Any advice?

[quote name='Mr Durand Pierre']At first I was excited about this game, then it got subpar reviews and I lost interest, but after reading Eurogamer's review and this board my interest is now at an all-time high. But I still have some burning questions before I can warrant a $35 purchase. Such as...

What is the core gameplay like? I understand that you have 15 min days (ala Pikmin) to collect stuff (also ala Pikmin), and that this involves some sort of platforming and puzzle solving. From what I gather, there isn't much fighting, so does the challenge come from exploring places within a given time limit, or is it more of a puzzle game ala Day of the Tentacle? And if so, are any of the puzzles at all challenging, or is it a pretty straight-forward game?

The only bad thing that everyone can agree upon with this game is that the unskipable talking sucks, but otherwise I could see this as being a really fantastic adventure game with mild action elements. Or I could see it as a string of medial tasks (like Harvest Moon) with only mild adventure/platforming elements, in wich case I wouldn't be too interested in it. Any advice?[/quote]

You rarely have to take part in menial tasks... cleaning the floor, picking up trash, helps you gain happy points rather quickly, but that's about it.
The core of the game lies in solving the problems of the residents of the household. Many of these tasks require multi-item fetch quests, and as you progress, some of these quests interlock.

Exploring the area in a given time limit comes into play, as many things are placed near or on the ceiling, which requires you to... climb halfway up, helicopter across a gap, helicopter again, and then find a way to climb higher.

In this way, there is a puzzle element to the game... figuring out how to get from point A to point B can take a doing, as some of them require not only forthought, but reflexes as well (there are portions where you have to start parts of an area moving by using items, and then climb and hop from moving platform to moving platform to get to higher ground.

I picked this up for $31.50 a/c at CC. Not sure if I'll keep it though. I figured I'd get it now since this is the cheapest I'd seen it, but I'll also keep it wrapped with the receipt in case it goes down in price in the next 30 days. I'm more excited for Metroid Prime: Hunters, and since that comes out this week, it'll keep me busy until I can decide what I'm doing with Chibi-robo.

I picked this up at CC for $35 on Monday. I got it for me, but my wife tried it first and LOVES it. She played it for four hours straight last night. It's a really cute, well-designed game. Maybe someday I'll get a turn.

Good thing I've got lots of DS games to keep me happy. :roll:

[quote name='Snake2715']Yeah is the $35 price a sign of price drops or a fluke sale...... Hmm...[/QUOTE]

I think that's just at CC this week, but because this is a niche title, I wouldn't be surprised to see it drop in price industry-wide. That said, from what I've seen so far, I think $50 is not unreasonable for this title. Plus, I always like to root for quirky games like this. I'd love to see it develop the following enjoyed by Katamari or Animal Crossing.

[quote name='Tybee']I think that's just at CC this week, but because this is a niche title, I wouldn't be surprised to see it drop in price industry-wide. That said, from what I've seen so far, I think $50 is not unreasonable for this title. Plus, I always like to root for quirky games like this. I'd love to see it develop the following enjoyed by Katamari or Animal Crossing.[/QUOTE]

I mean its not so much the money aspect of it for me. Yes of course all games free would be great but lets get real. The fact of the matter is I like these quircky games and I just need to find the time for them.... If I buy it now and dont play it for a few months and it happens to drop over that perioed I have wasted the money.

But $35 on a game to enjoy and own is worth it even if I get say 7-10 hours of enjoyment out of it. Most people dont think twice about dropiing $25+ for a 1 1/2 movie that they watch once. So another $10 to own the game and get another 5 hours or more of enjoyment is a no brainer.

[quote name='Snake2715']I mean its not so much the money aspect of it for me. Yes of course all games free would be great but lets get real. The fact of the matter is I like these quircky games and I just need to find the time for them.... If I buy it now and dont play it for a few months and it happens to drop over that perioed I have wasted the money.

But $35 on a game to enjoy and own is worth it even if I get say 7-10 hours of enjoyment out of it. Most people dont think twice about dropiing $25+ for a 1 1/2 movie that they watch once. So another $10 to own the game and get another 5 hours or more of enjoyment is a no brainer.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I will say I sometimes experience the converse of the scenario you present: Sometimes I'll find myself buying a game I have no time to play and only mild interest in at the moment simply because it's on sale. Then I get around to it several months later. This is almost always the case with the TRU B2G1 sale.

I started playing this the other day. i'm only a couple hours into it, but so far I'm loving it. It is mildly frustrating that you can't speed up the text, but the cutscenes are so damn funny and well written that it doesn;t matter. Much better than the long droning cutscenes in the Metal Gear series. In fact, I'm surprised so many people pick on this game for not letting you speed up text, yet leave Phoenix Wright alone, and since that game is all text, not being able to speed it up hurts it a lot more.

But otherwise I have no complaints whatsoever about this game. The collecting is fun, the story is hilarious, and it's just a blast trying to figure out what new stuff you can do. I can't understand why so many critics gave it low scores.

The game is an absolute gem. For the life of me I absolutely don't get the low scores either. I mean here is a game that, imo, is an early game of the year candidate.

[quote name='trip1eX']The game is an absolute gem. For the life of me I absolutely don't get the low scores either. I mean here is a game that, imo, is an early game of the year candidate.[/QUOTE]
Probably cause most people are like the EB guy who asked "Why?" when I said I had it, even though he never played it.

I am not seeing this game anywhere anymore... I have not been to a gamestop or specific store buy our Local Walmarts, Meijers and even Best Buy was out of it... Low print run?

Intriguing... is Chibi-Robo becoming rare like some predicted and others feared? If so, it's sure as hell not going to win Nintendo any happy points. Great game... keep looking till you find it or get it on-line.

I just beat the main game tonight and while simultaneously acquiring the #1 chibi-robo status. It took me about 15 hours even. Not too shabby. And I only have 5 or 6 of the stickers, so it looks like there's plenty of side-questing left for me.

And I'd like to add that after 15 hours play-time, my opinion hadn't changed at all from my glowing praise of it based on my first few hours. If anything, I only respected it more as it went because the new characters, missions, and story were always changing and just when I thought I'd seen it all there be something new going on. And the game does an amazingly good job of hiding its workings. What I mean by that is that I was never quite sure what I did (if anything) that would trigger a new story event to unfold. In this way the game is fairly non-linear, as there were always multiple things I could do rather than get caught up on having to solve one puzzle or finish one mission before I could progress anywhere.

I'm starting to completely lose faith in videogame reviews when games like GTA and MGS are considered to be masterpieces and Chibi-Robo is completely discarded based on well, I'm not sure what the nay-sayers are basing their opinions on besides being petty about the graphics (which I thought were just fine). But yeah, I'd deffinitely say Chibi-Robo was one of the very best games of this generation and quite possibly the most pleasantly surprised I've ever been by a game.

[quote name='Scobie']Intriguing... is Chibi-Robo becoming rare like some predicted and others feared? If so, it's sure as hell not going to win Nintendo any happy points. Great game... keep looking till you find it or get it on-line.[/QUOTE]

All the Circuit City's I've been too recently have multiple copies.

And As for Mr Durand Pierre's post, I agree. I need to get back into it again, but I'm actually pretty surprised you got through at 15 hours. I'm at least that far in and don't think I'm anywhere near done! I'd say it will take me 30 easily. So far I have 1 sticker (for getting all the robo helper things). Of course I've been playing with it with my kids and when they take turns they often don't get much done during the day/night cycle.

One question - I know there are some side quests that the dinosaur can give you (finding the blocks or something) but I can't talk to it any more because the stupid mother is locked up in the bedroom. Does she ever leave so I can talk to the dinosaur again? It would suck if I missed the opportunity (I could talk to the dinosaur for a bit but did other stuff instead).

I'd also like to do the Egg guy's exercises and move on with that part of the srory but for whatever reason my 3 year-old is terrified of them and won't let us go anywhere near them :rofl:.

The open-ended nature of the game can actually make it a bit difficult. I was waiting to get new ladders and bridges to get onto the castle (can't quite get to the last battery I need). Now, apparently, I have all of the ladders and I never got one for that room. I can't figure out how to get up there! But it can be a *little* frustrating in that there were other places I tried to get for a long time only to finally get a ladder or bridge that made it really easy - wasted time before that trying to get somewhere I couldn't go yet.

15 hours? Man I got over 40 into it. :p

I finished in jjust under 40 something. I was playing my son too tho. We got a bit stuck on the main quest because I forgot about a 'clue' that they gave us. Finally I had to look that up. We also did a bunch of the side quests along the way.

When the Mom locks herself in the room you can still get in there thru the peephole in the door.

[quote name='trip1eX']

When the Mom locks herself in the room you can still get in there thru the peephole in the door.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but you can't talk to the Dinosaur because of the "Toy Story" syndrome :D.

[quote name='io']Yeah, but you can't talk to the Dinosaur because of the "Toy Story" syndrome :D.[/QUOTE]

Yeah you can talk to the Dino tho he or she might be occupied by the TV for a bit. Go help out Funky Phil and I know the dinosaur comes out once you've done that.

From what I can gather there are no loopholed where if you miss something you can't go back to it again. It just might take awhile. And I've now gotten 10 (out of 24) stickers. Some of those sound pretty tough. I thought I'd been everywhere, but there is still a block I can't find as well as 2 out of the 3 pirate treasures. Man, this games got a lot of depth.

found a used copy for $30 in great shape.. But it seems like one of those quirky games that might be fun but poor controls/unpolished design are masked by the creative concept of the game.

I always end up playing those for a few hours, having fun with the idea of the game, but the actual gameplay turns me away. Felt this way for a LOT of nintendo's recent games.. and many of the PS2's non-mainstream games.

anyone think i'm way off on this?

bread's done
Back