Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day brings out supporters, protesters

[quote name='Clak']Blatant disrespect of critical thinking skills...[/QUOTE]

The internet really isn't the place to be having a debate.

[quote name='KingBroly']The internet really isn't the place to be having a debate.[/QUOTE]
CAG's "vs. mode": Politics & Controversy - Argue to your cheap ass heart's content on politics and other subjects ripe for argument.

[quote name='roedaniel19']A "real" Christian believes the Bible from cover to cover. Maybe you should read it sometime. My beliefs aren't my own. They come straight from the Bible.[/QUOTE]

Which bible? Which books?

Are you an essentialist? A millenialist? If the latter, is pre-or-post Millenialism your forte?

The Council at Nicea were human, you know.

Anyway, Chick-fil-A. Never ate there, not even once. I'm not anti-fast food, but I never felt the urge to eat there. As I get older, I've become kind of a snobby foodie. Case in point: I was chatting about the flavor of different kinds of salt with my wife last night, and we both realized we hadn't used iodized (table) salt in our house in god-knows-how-long*.

So, yeah, never had it, never will. I don't know what I'm missing, so I suppose that makes it easy enough.

I'm okay with openly religious businesses, and even find myself mildly chastising myself when their religious beliefs inconvenience me (e.g., "oh, shit, Hobby Lobby is closed on Sundays, that fucks everything up.") Be religious, but please do expect ramifications when you use profits derived from practicing your business to support the persecution of a selected population in our free American society.

* (that's just a euphemism. Maybe She does know, but as an agnostic, I don't claim to have insider info as to our creator's knowledge of my sodium intake.)

[quote name='roedaniel19']Assuming you're a Christian by this statement, I hope you'll join me in praying for the souls of the members here who either don't believe in or blatantly disrespect our God who has done so much for us.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, Jesus, for the $10 Mortal Kombat Vita I scored today.

Ahhhhh-men.

[quote name='confoosious']foodies are more annoying than extremists.[/QUOTE]

Ehhhh, I wouldn't go that far, but I'll say there's some truth to what you're saying. Don't get me wrong, I won't turn my nose up at a Wawa hoagie. But I was pretty fuckin' irritated to see a discussion of the whole Chik-fil-a thing that had to be taken in the direction of arguing for veganism. I think that's why liberals (like me) have it rough in terms of gaining traction - there's always some fucker even further to the left than you who is deeply lacking in both tact and discretion, and will be more than happy to co-opt your movement for their own purposes. Then the whole bloody thing falls like a house of cards, because a constant barrage of condescending "YOU'RE NOT DOING ENOUGH GOOD" bleating from us leftists just makes the average "shut up and lemme eat my sammich" folks (who are otherwise good people and are in favor of ending legalized antigay bigotry in the US) throw their hands up and say "fuck it, fuck a'll y'all and your fuckin' movements!"

...anyway. I do love good food. Maybe I should start a foodie thread and we can swap pesto recipes. ;)

Like how everyone hates PETA even though everyone loves animals?

I love good food too but when people start talking about how the imported cheese from moravia really brings out the subtle hints of oakiness in the hand crafted pancetta from free range pot bellied pigs, I want to punch them in the face.

also, while i respect everyone's right to religion, anyone who thinks the bible is literal is a fucking idiot.

[quote name='roedaniel19']And wikipedia is a great source of knowledge?[/QUOTE]
Ha! The first time I've ever seen someone shit on Wikipedia's credibility to defend the bibles!

[quote name='roedaniel19']Proof of what? That a wiki isn't always right??[/QUOTE]

KJB was the bible of COE. If you want to read the real bible then learn Hebrew.

[quote name='camoor']KJB was the bible of COE. If you want to read the real bible then learn Hebrew.[/QUOTE]
I prefer the original pagan stories that were plagiarized to make the bible, myself. Nothing gives me a hard-on like celebrating the summer and winter solstice while adhering to proper pagan rituals. One god that can do the work of all the gods? That fucking crazee talk!

Isn't the whole reason people are mad at Chick-Fil-A because they supposedly hate homosexuals? Then why is the one Christian guy in this thread the most kind and reasonable person here while everyone else is acting like hateful know it all assholes. Think you're smart all you want, but the Chick-Fil-A in my mall literally had a line half way across the mall to get in today(I can post pics later) I'm sure Chick-Fil-A is laughing all the way to the bank.

[quote name='roedaniel19']People can be homosexual all they want, but marriage is a vow before God. Allowing same sex marriage defiles this vow. God made man and woman, not "man and man" or "woman and woman". Again, homosexuality is what it is, but these couples will never truly be married.[/QUOTE]

that piece of paper I signed for the State didn't having anything to do with God.

[quote name='KtMack23']Isn't the whole reason people are mad at Chick-Fil-A because they supposedly hate homosexuals? Then why is the one Christian guy in this thread the most kind and reasonable person here while everyone else is acting like hateful know it all assholes. Think you're smart all you want, but the Chick-Fil-A in my mall literally had a line half way across the mall to get in today(I can post pics later) I'm sure Chick-Fil-A is laughing all the way to the bank.[/QUOTE]
If by "kind and reasonable" you mean sanctimonious fuck-faced bigot with no understanding of history, then I agree.

As for the lines at Chick-fil-A, is it really that surprising at how bigoted the American public really is and how proud they are to express it? It has absolutely nothing to do with being "smart" or being a "know-it-all."

[quote name='soulvengeance']Wouldn't the death of the VP of Public Relations be a sign from God that what he said was wrong?[/QUOTE]
Nah, that's just a sign of getting into heaven early because he was doing such a great job of spreading "god's word."

[quote name='dohdough']If by "kind and reasonable" you mean sanctimonious fuck-faced bigot with no understanding of history, then I agree.

As for the lines at Chick-fil-A, is it really that surprising at how bigoted the American public really is and how proud they are to express it? It has absolutely nothing to do with being "smart" or being a "know-it-all."[/QUOTE]

Seriously, the liberal circle-jerk that is the CAG vs. Forum is way more vicious and "fuck faced" then that guy, and you're post just proves my point. Someone expresses their beliefs and you guys jump on him and beat the crap out of him with your tired old arguments.

[quote name='KtMack23']Seriously, the liberal circle-jerk that is the CAG vs. Forum is way more vicious and "fuck faced" then that guy, and you're post just proves my point. Someone expresses their beliefs and you guys jump on him and beat the crap out of him with your tired old arguments.[/QUOTE]
Half the posters in this thread addressing him aren't even regulars in Vs. It has nothing to do with how "liberal" or "conservative" Vs. is. I also didn't realize talking about the various iterations of the bible was "beat(ing) the crap out of him with (our) tired old arguments." It's not our fault that he's ignorant of the history of the book he proclaims as the absolute truth.

If you don't think that denying LGBT's the same civil rights as straights as being bigoted, then what the fuck would you call it?

[quote name='georox']Funny because most marriages in ancient times were more of just social agreements than anything... and they didn't involve any of this "God" bullshit, all of that fuckwaddery came later when it was force-fed down peoples throats. Also, your "God" can fuck itself. I deny the existence of it, therefor I do not abide by its rules. :<

[/QUOTE]

In ancient times? Try within the past couple centuries. People who think the way marriage is now is the way it's always been have some serious blinders on when it comes to history. Hell, even the Bible has tons of instances of marriages which are outside the whole "one man and one woman" argument.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Shit is so dumb, only blew up because the mayor of boston was trying to ban the chain from his city. And as much as I'd love to ban anti gay marriage sentiments, it's really not the right way to go about things. Now the boycott movement is having the opposite effect, with morons clogging the streets to support the nearest chick fil-a, and foxnews declaring national holidays for restaurants.[/QUOTE]

The whole Boston thing is political grandstanding anyways. If Chick-Fil-A tried to open a restaurant in Boston and was denied based on the mayor's logic, Chick-Fil-A could take the city to court, and I don't really see an instance where they'd lose. As much as I disagree with the values of the owners of the restaurant, they're free to have them. And really, this isn't the way to go changing people's minds on the topic.

[quote name='dohdough']Half the posters in this thread addressing him aren't even regulars in Vs. It has nothing to do with how "liberal" or "conservative" Vs. is. I also didn't realize talking about the various iterations of the bible was "beat(ing) the crap out of him with (our) tired old arguments." It's not our fault that he's ignorant of the history of the book he proclaims as the absolute truth.

If you don't think that denying LGBT's the same civil rights as straights as being bigoted, then what the fuck would you call it?[/QUOTE]

I never said he wasn't a bigot, I'm saying you guys are just as bad if not worse with the way your acting. Also I'm saying its really easy to sound smart and correct when everyone in the group discussion agrees with you and you jump on one person, because whether or not they have a good argument, it doesn't matter, you'll win by sheer numbers.

[quote name='KtMack23']I never said he wasn't a bigot, I'm saying you guys are just as bad if not worse with the way your acting. Also I'm saying its really easy to sound smart and correct when everyone in the group discussion agrees with you and you jump on one person, because whether or not they have a good argument, it doesn't matter, you'll win by sheer numbers.[/QUOTE]
You realize that you're making the argument that it's literally worse to be intolerant of intolerance than it is to be intolerant if you're mean about it, right? It's like calling an anti-racist worse than being a racist because the anti-racist called the racist an asshole.

The quality of arguments win debates; not the number of participants. If you think ganging up on someone matters, then the way you judge debates is wrong. roedaniel19 isn't losing because he's being ganged up on; he's losing because he doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about and he's proven that.

[quote name='dohdough']You realize that you're making the argument that it's literally worse to be intolerant of intolerance than it is to be intolerant if you're mean about it, right? It's like calling an anti-racist worse than being a racist because the anti-racist called the racist an asshole.

The quality of arguments win debates; not the number of participants. If you think ganging up on someone matters, then the way you judge debates is wrong. roedaniel19 isn't losing because he's being ganged up on; he's losing because he doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about and he's proven that.[/QUOTE]
I think comparing the disapproval of the ability for homosexuals to marry to hating someone based on the color of their skin is ridiculous and distasteful as well as offensive to people who actually fought for something in the civil rights movement as apposed to just being a dick on an internet video game forum.

[quote name='KtMack23']I think comparing the disapproval of the ability for homosexuals to marry to hating someone based on the color of their skin is ridiculous and distasteful as well as offensive to people who actually fought for something in the civil rights movement as apposed to just being a dick on an internet video game forum.[/QUOTE]

I'm not going to get into your superficial understanding of racism or your faux indignation, but the laws about miscegenation are a nice corollary to the issue at hand. Is same sex marriage not a civil rights issue? Maybe you should be more offended by your own ignorance by creating a strawman because I wasn't making that argument as it was an example. Not to mention you not seeing the obvious parallels.

I'd rather be a dick than defend a bigot like you're doing.

[quote name='KtMack23']I think comparing the disapproval of the ability for homosexuals to marry to hating someone based on the color of their skin is ridiculous and distasteful as well as offensive to people who actually fought for something in the civil rights movement as apposed to just being a dick on an internet video game forum.[/QUOTE]

As a black American, I have no problems drawing parallels to the two since bother are issues of civil rights.

[quote name='camoor']I dont get what the big deal is.

Chick Fila said they dont like gay marriage.

People who like gay marriage said fuck you we dont want your shitty fried chicken.[/QUOTE]
more like

chick-fil-a donates to hate groups against homosexuals
you buy those sandwiches and you contribute to that

therefore people don't want them to buy their sandwiches
or want them to buy their sandwich to express freedom to do with it

i'm torn but really if these hate groups are pretty bad they should be torn apart so that chick-fil-a can't donate to them

[quote name='KtMack23']Alright, I give in, I'm done, I know their is no point in arguing[/quote]
the point of arguing is to gain information about the other side to solidify your own views or perhaps even change your own views.

you never argue to win. especially not on the internet.
even if you win with logic, the person you're arguing against usually still hates you anyway.

[quote name='Cantatus']In ancient times? Try within the past couple centuries. People who think the way marriage is now is the way it's always been have some serious blinders on when it comes to history. Hell, even the Bible has tons of instances of marriages which are outside the whole "one man and one woman" argument.

The whole Boston thing is political grandstanding anyways. If Chick-Fil-A tried to open a restaurant in Boston and was denied based on the mayor's logic, Chick-Fil-A could take the city to court, and I don't really see an instance where they'd lose. As much as I disagree with the values of the owners of the restaurant, they're free to have them. And really, this isn't the way to go changing people's minds on the topic.[/QUOTE]Never midn that if the person actually believes the literal interpretation of the bible, there are some pretty terrible things they believe in. The status of women alone is shameful.

Oh, goody, I was greatly anticipating for the imminent arrival of the "you know, the intolerance you libs display for others' intolerance is absolutely intolerable" canard. Thanks, KtMack23 for bringing it to the forefront.

Since we are "just as bad if not worse" - well, by what standard is that the case? Is it because we're multiple layers of intolerance? Well, then, you're like a 7-layer burrito of intolerance, aren't yeh, making you the worst person ever!

(I'm kidding, but I'm trying to figure this out.)

Cathy (Chik-Fil-A CEO) has donated to groups and individuals that:
- believe consensual homosexual sex should be outlawed
- were furious that the federal gov't overturned Texas' anti-sodomy laws
- believe homosexuals should be deported from the US
- believe and practice conversion therapy

...moreover, in the interview where he spouted his now infamous "guilty as charged" line, he also said that by treating homosexuals as free, equal citizens in the US, we are also "inviting God’s judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at him and say, ‘We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage."

He's expressing not just a distaste for marriage, he is identifying himself as an innocent victim and homosexuals as the cultural/biblical aggressors. This is mildly coded "the gays have to go" language if I've ever seen it, and only the most staunchly preposterous people would say he's not saying that.

If you think this is "free speech" versus "chicken sandwiches" you need to take a closer look at the participants and what they are saying.

no wonder there was 2 lines wraped all the way around chik-fil-a last night.... i went to panda express instead. i do love chik-fil-a, but not that much.

[quote name='dohdough']You realize that you're making the argument that it's literally worse to be intolerant of intolerance than it is to be intolerant if you're mean about it, right? It's like calling an anti-racist worse than being a racist because the anti-racist called the racist an asshole.

The quality of arguments win debates; not the number of participants. If you think ganging up on someone matters, then the way you judge debates is wrong. roedaniel19 isn't losing because he's being ganged up on; he's losing because he doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about and he's proven that.[/QUOTE]
I'm sorry that since I have a job and cant stay on these forums, you think I don't know what im talking about. But I know what God has done for me, and noone can take that away from me. I'm done here, God bless you all. I will continue to pray for you all.

[quote name='kainzero']more like

chick-fil-a donates to hate groups against homosexuals
you buy those sandwiches and you contribute to that

therefore people don't want them to buy their sandwiches
or want them to buy their sandwich to express freedom to do with it

i'm torn but really if these hate groups are pretty bad they should be torn apart so that chick-fil-a can't donate to them[/QUOTE]

That's a good point.

Chick Fil-A has some straight-up fascist views of gay people.

I guess my point is that everyone I know says "what's the big deal" and "why is this news". As Myke's bulletproof post pointed out, Chick Fil-A is funding some pretty heinous hate groups under the covers.

Chick FilA sells shitty fried chicken and they're not even open on Sundays. It's not like that's a tough act to top. Frankly they should be grateful they are still in business and shut the fuck up. Or keep it up and another business run by religious kooks goes down the tubes. Who gives a shit.

But this idea that people can't boycott them because of their "religious" (read: bigoted) views is ridiculous.

[quote name='roedaniel19']I'm sorry that since I have a job and cant stay on these forums, you think I don't know what im talking about. But I know what God has done for me, and noone can take that away from me. I'm done here, God bless you all. I will continue to pray for you all.[/QUOTE]
What the hell does having a job or posting at your own pace have to do with the veracity of your arguments? Absolutely nothing.

If you want to cling to your religion, go ahead...no one really gives a shit. But don't come around here saying that your version is the one TRUE path while totally ignoring the history surrounding it.

Oh, and you already said you were done in another post. Are you sure you're done?

[quote name='dohdough']What the hell does having a job or posting at your own pace have to do with the veracity of your arguments? Absolutely nothing.

If you want to cling to your religion, go ahead...no one really gives a shit. But don't come around here saying that your version is the one TRUE path while totally ignoring the history surrounding it.

Oh, and you already said you were done in another post. Are you sure you're done?[/QUOTE]
I've found that the only way many people can follow a given religion is to ignore the uglier parts of it. If they actually recognized them then they'd have to explain them, and well, yeah. To most believers it seems their religion is all love and sunshine, until you point out it isn't, then they get pissy.

[quote name='KingBroly']I don't think anyone's making the argument that you can't boycott them.[/QUOTE]

Actually they have - some people are have claimed that boycotting ChickFila is religious persecution and they have been waving around the first amendment.

I agree it doesn't make much sense.

[quote name='roedaniel19']I'm done here, God bless you all. I will continue to pray for you all.[/QUOTE]

Sweet, free prayers. You should post this in the deals forum.

[quote name='camoor']Actually they have - some people are have claimed that boycotting ChickFila is religious persecution and they have been waving around the first amendment.

I agree it doesn't make much sense.[/QUOTE]Christians being persecuted in the U.S., that's a laugh.

[quote name='camoor']So they can go !@#$%^&* in a hat. Chick Fil-A - your mormon run company's stock is going to take a big hit - where is your god now??[/QUOTE]

Not that this changes (or is intended to change) your view on the matter, but Chick-fil-a was founded and is run by Southern Baptists.

[quote name='thelonepig']Not that this changes (or is intended to change) your view on the matter, but Chick-fil-a was founded and is run by Southern Baptists.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I guess the food doesn't seem very Mormon-y.

[quote name='Soodmeg']
Not to sound harsh but white Christans are the whiniest mother fuckers in the world. They have dealt with NO adversity whatsoever. Yet they bitch the loudest about everything.[/QUOTE]

NO adversity? Are you kidding? Shit is rough all over. Like when the public be all up on your private beach?

If Chick-fil-a stopped using MSG, they'd probably lose their customers anyways.

As for believing the Bible 100%, where does it say no polygamy? All these Chick-fil-a supporters say marriage is been a man and a woman. I don't recall the Bible saying that either.

[quote name='elessar123']If Chick-fil-a stopped using MSG, they'd probably lose their customers anyways.

As for believing the Bible 100%, where does it say no polygamy?[/QUOTE]

If they wanted to believe in the Bible 100%, they wouldn't be eating MSG, HFCS, etc. AKA, Chik-fil-A's ingredient list.

[quote name='elessar123']If Chick-fil-a stopped using MSG, they'd probably lose their customers anyways.

As for believing the Bible 100%, where does it say no polygamy? All these Chick-fil-a supporters say marriage is been a man and a woman. I don't recall the Bible saying that either.[/QUOTE]

Holy crap I didnt know Chick FilA has MSG. We need another MSG sweep - that shit is getting into everything.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Not to sound harsh but white Christans are the whiniest mother fuckers in the world. They have dealt with NO adversity whatsoever.[/quote]

In the video game of life, it's the easiest difficulty setting, my friend.

I think the moral of the story is clear and the translation is just wrong....Jesus hates Figs....not $$$s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cursing_the_fig_tree

heh. you know, the way you described the parable in your terms, I couldn't help but picture Jesus as some kind of prattish reality tv star. good on ya.

I'm sure this has been beaten to death, but I'm going to attempt to boil down the argument as concisely as possible:
  • Chik-fil-A absolutely has the right to make such comments. They even have the right to refuse service to particular customers if they wish (as far as I know).
  • People absolutely have the right to boycott them.
  • Chik-fil-A does NOT have the right to use their profits to fund advocacy groups that advance laws supportive of THEIR religious doctrines, as that is an outright violation of a core principle this country was founded on.
This is a simplification (perhaps oversimplification), so feel free to correct me as needed, but as some point the discussion effectively enters filler stage, which is usually marked by a bunch of pro-insert-religious-dogma-angle-here.

Please note I am BORED AS SHIT at work, so while I haven't read the thread, I'm legit just trying to get something to pop up on my CAG User control panel just to keep sane.

[quote name='roedaniel19']The ONLY one, the King James version. If you will read the story of Sodom and Gomorrah, the Bible is very clear on God's opinion of homosexuality.[/QUOTE]

Eek. Might want to learn Greek and Hebrew. Try translating a Dr. Seuss book from English to Spanish without messing up the meaning or small details somewhere. Now think about doing that times about 8,000, and having it be a book people base their lives on.

Not trying to pile on, but out of the many, many Christian friends I have, I'm not sure I know any who are Bible literalistics and claim that the version we have today is perfect and is the true version revealed all those years ago. To each their own.

(this is a fake account trolling us...right?)

[quote name='roedaniel19']I'm sorry that since I have a job and cant stay on these forums, you think I don't know what im talking about. But I know what God has done for me, and noone can take that away from me. I'm done here, God bless you all. I will continue to pray for you all.[/QUOTE]

God might have done a lot for you but your church has made you a holier-than-thou no-fact-having douche. Pray for me all you want, won't change a thing.

[quote name='berzirk'](this is a fake account trolling us...right?)[/QUOTE]
Not likely. Person has posted a bit in the deals section before sauntering into vs. Not that it means anything of course, but it doesn't look like an account purely to troll us.

bread's done
Back