Chicken Sashimi!!!

Zoglog

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
So after watching this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sR0mrUU9bs

I decided I must go try the chicken sashimi and yakitori there. Especially since I've never had chicken sashimi before.

483707_10151374039004142_962851286_n.jpg

Next time you find yourself in Japan... give it a try. You won't regret it.

I don't think I could ever bring myself to eat chicken undercooked at all, no matter how fresh it is.

[quote name='Ziv']I don't think I could ever bring myself to eat chicken undercooked at all, no matter how fresh it is.[/QUOTE]

Ditto, though I could eat everything else served during that clip.

Honestly, the part I find most disturbing here isn't that you'd eat raw chicken, but that you'd actually watch/listen to anything from Anthony Bourdain... That's just never a good thing.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']Honestly, the part I find most disturbing here isn't that you'd eat raw chicken, but that you'd actually watch/listen to anything from Anthony Bourdain... That's just never a good thing.[/QUOTE]

What the hell?

Just like beef, the inside is perfectly sterile, but I've had undercooked chicken before and it isn't that bad. If the chef is taking care of his chickens, and it looks like he probably does, I'm sure the meat will be tender and delicious especially with the sauce. I have more of a problem with the heart and liver skewers because I don't like the iron-ish taste or eating guts in general except for tripe. If I ever go to Japan, I'll be sure to try it out.

[quote name='Javery']I'll eat most anything but isn't uncooked chicken a potential health issue?[/QUOTE]
As with any other undercooked meat, sickness will mostly come from cross contamination/improper handling. As long as it was stored at the proper temperature and not stuck with contaminated forks, it'll be fine. Any bad stuff would likely be on the surface of the meat, which is seared at 900F and more than enough to kill any surface bacteria.

[quote name='dohdough']As with any other undercooked meat, sickness will mostly come from cross contamination/improper handling. As long as it was stored at the proper temperature and not stuck with contaminated forks, it'll be fine. Any bad stuff would likely be on the surface of the meat, which is seared at 900F and more than enough to kill any surface bacteria.[/QUOTE]

That being said, I handle a bit of chicken for my own consumption and I don't feel like the texture is something I'd enjoy. Maybe it depends on the quality of the chicken and cut but I like to cook the crap out my chicken because I don't like any grizzle at all

[quote name='Rumors']That being said, I handle a bit of chicken for my own consumption and I don't feel like the texture is something I'd enjoy. Maybe it depends on the quality of the chicken and cut but I like to cook the crap out my chicken because I don't like any grizzle at all[/QUOTE]
That's exactly how I felt about eating octopus in sushi because I've had some bad experiences, but one day I ordered it by accident and it wasn't bad at all. I hear you about the gristle though. There's nothing quite like a perfectly cooked chicken.:D

I had concerns before as well about the taste and texture. However it was quite delicious. I enjoyed it far more than horse sashimi. That being said, I did have chicken sashimi at other places in Japan and toriki was by far the best.

I would say if you like seared albacore you will like chicken sashimi.
And yes the rest of his chicken dishes are awesome too.

Owner was awesome and wanted to take a picture with us (we didn't ask)
625658_10151374353834142_1496007646_n.jpg

[quote name='Ziv']I don't think I could ever bring myself to eat chicken undercooked at all, no matter how fresh it is.[/QUOTE]

This. Good luck peeing out of your butt for weeks.

I don't think raw chicken is a good idea, but I probably won't have a problem actually eating it. However, I just don't think I would want to... of all the different things that I can order, why bother with raw chicken other than novelty? I would order more otoro or uni... you can never get enough of those!

[quote name='wasabi5858']I don't think raw chicken is a good idea, but I probably won't have a problem actually eating it. However, I just don't think I would want to... of all the different things that I can order, why bother with raw chicken other than novelty? I would order more otoro or uni... you can never get enough of those![/QUOTE]

because it's delicious?

Don't worry, i had plenty of Otoro and uni too

45652_10151386813469142_399862270_n.jpg

562982_10151386813364142_99195749_n.jpg

65376_10151386813424142_116737122_n.jpg

529994_10151371597649142_325157032_n.jpg

And since you guys are getting squeamish over chicken sashimi, how about Fugu sperm sac?
480120_10151371595954142_572693961_n.jpg

[quote name='dohdough']That's exactly how I felt about eating octopus in sushi because I've had some bad experiences, but one day I ordered it by accident and it wasn't bad at all. I hear you about the gristle though. There's nothing quite like a perfectly cooked chicken.:D[/QUOTE]

If its made correctly I'm sure its quite good, but it would take a more talented cook than myself.

So you've had hearts? I've tried them and a Brazilian steakhouse, I actually liked them more than I thought I would

[quote name='Rumors']If its made correctly I'm sure its quite good, but it would take a more talented cook than myself.[/quote]
Yeah, I can't speak to the quality-of-the-chicken-type deals, but I've had undercooked chicken before. You're probably a far better judge of what quality is than I am.

So you've had hearts? I've tried them and a Brazilian steakhouse, I actually liked them more than I thought I would
I've had hearts cooked different ways, liver, and a couple other organs. I find that they generally turn to mush and I'm not a huge fan of that texture. Hearts and liver I don't like in particular because of the "bloody" taste, if that makes any sense. I hear that they're better with sauteed onions, but I don't feel like experimenting with my shitty cooking skills either.:lol:

There is no way I could eat raw chicken. I just couldn't do it. I don't like the feel of it when I'm cooking with it, and the texture freaks me out. I'm sure it is safe, but man there is just no way I'd try it here in the states.

[quote name='Javery']Jeez - how expensive was that dinner?[/QUOTE]

toriki is pretty cheap for how good it is. We all had beer and a ton of chicken. Ended up being around $30 a person.

And by the way, chicken heart yakitori is amazingly good

[quote name='Zoglog']toriki is pretty cheap for how good it is. We all had chicken and a ton of beer. Ended up being around $30 a person.

And by the way, chicken heart yakitori is amazingly good[/QUOTE]
Fix.t:lol:

Rep that Asian Glow, my brotha!

[quote name='dohdough']Fix.t:lol:

Rep that Asian Glow, my brotha![/QUOTE]

haha well done sir. Oddly it seemed like we did drink quite a bit of beer. Making the $30 price tag seem even cheaper :)

bread's done
Back