chipped discs from gamefly

CaoPi

CAGiversary!
Feedback
144 (100%)
I bought a few games from gamefly from the past and always noticed chipped edges on the discs...

Anyone had problems with them? I heard some people had the chipped edge form a linear crack as it runs at high speed inside the system. Also 360 discs are more fragile, which can cause cracks to form.

Last edited by a moderator:
Every PS3 game I've gotten from them has had chips on the edges (rentals and purchases). The games always freeze at some point and won't go past it. I actually cancelled because of this.

[quote name='Scorch']I've had one or two that have a chip. I install it to the hd and don't worry about it.[/QUOTE]

Same here. Just about ALL of the 360 games I've ordered have had chips but run fine.

If your game arrives with chips on it, it's most likely due to this guy:

doritos.gif

Also: ChunLi says "Chipped Disc FTL" X every Gamefly thread ever created.

I don't like to buy used games even if they're in pretty good condition, so I definitely don't want to buy a used game that has been mailed all over the country who knows how many times. Nevertheless, a lot of people love buying up newer games for cheap during these gamefly sales. I certainly wouldn't trust gamefly for 360 games being on dvd and all, but I would imagine there is less of a problem with PS3 discs since they're basically scratch-proof.

[quote name='pippin']I don't like to buy used games even if they're in pretty good condition, so I definitely don't want to buy a used game that has been mailed all over the country who knows how many times. Nevertheless, a lot of people love buying up newer games for cheap during these gamefly sales. I certainly wouldn't trust gamefly for 360 games being on dvd and all, but I would imagine there is less of a problem with PS3 discs since they're basically scratch-proof.[/QUOTE]

The problem isn't scratches, and PS3 discs aren't chip-proof. All of the games I've ordered from gamefly are chipped (I've only ordered PS3 games from them), and most have minor scratches.

Makes me wonder if they resurface them before selling them and something during it causes it to chip the discs? Although I've still received 360 games from them that have scratches, it would explain(somewhat) why the discs are like that.

Around 20+ purchases since last September and my experience has been similar, but probably not as bad as some of you. Far more 360 games are in worse condition compared to PS3, most likely due to a combination of factors (360 more popular so the games see more 'action,' PS3 discs are more robust due to Durabis coating).

Two 360 games were bad enough to warrant refunds (yet to return one for PS3), the rest had minimal to moderate scratching with a chip or two in the edge. These don't worry me nearly as much as chips or cracks in the inner ring.

I'm probably not the only one wishing that their warehouse employees did more thorough inspections before shipping out purchases; recent Deus Ex disc for 360 not only had a couple cracks in the inner ring, the art-side of the disc had this weird white residue on it. Either they don't care or don't check at all.

Whatever. I'll still order them since they basically have a no-questions-asked return policy which would be better if it was a 1-to-1 replacement program.

I have bought 5 games from GameFly, all for PS3 and all have had multiple minor chips on the outside edge of the disk.
Crysis 2 - beat the game - no problems playing it - traded to BB.
Red Faction Armageddon - beat the game - no problems playing it - traded to GameStop (for a loss).
Duke Nukem Forever - beat the game - no problems playing it - traded to Amazon
Dead Space 2 - haven't played yet
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12 - no problems playing it (approximately 20 hours)

All the games i've purchased from gamefly were chipped on the edges to some degree. I know I should stop buying from them, but i generally play and trade them away. The collection I have does not tolerate physical defects!!

Between rentals and buys I must have had 100-150 games from them over the years, out of which two games (both 3+ years old) didn't play due to scratches. I have never seen this chipping. Theoretically you could have this from the machines in the post office if some idiots are returning the games without the cardboard protector, but honestly I think some of the posters must be looking under a microscope. I absolutely don't believe that this has any effect on the game playing.

Also the OP repeats an urban legend about cracks. The force on a disc is outwards; it's damage around the hole in the center (e.g. from forcing it off the spindle in the case) that will lead to cracks.

bread's done
Back