CHKDSK freezing *fixed*

Sporadic

CAGiversary!
Feedback
53 (100%)
Every time I turn on my computer, Windows wants to check for consistency. Usually I skip it since my computer appears to be working ok but I need to do a system restore and Windows won't do it until I run CHKDSK. Problem is, it freezes every time at the exact same point.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
1078016 file records processed.
File verification completed.
852 large file records processed.
0 bad file records processed.
0 EA records processed.
67 reparse records processed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
44 percent compete. (1078299 of 1150676 index entries processed)

Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='kilm']When it happens to me, it's usually the precursor to hard drive failure.[/QUOTE]

Strange thing is, the PC-Doctor that came with my computer keeps telling me that everything is ok when I run diagnostics before Windows start.

Is there some way to force CHKDSK to run or something of that nature?

[quote name='Sporadic']Strange thing is, the PC-Doctor that came with my computer keeps telling me that everything is ok when I run diagnosis before Windows start.

Is there some way to force CHKDSK to run or something of that nature?[/QUOTE]

Right click your HD in My Computer

Properties

Tools

Error Checking

Check Now

I agree that it is a sign that the hard drive is failing.
i would make sure you have everything important backed up ASAP

[quote name='kilm']Right click your HD in My Computer

Properties

Tools

Error Checking

Check Now[/QUOTE]

I was going to say that didn't work but when I unchecked Automatically fix file system errors and checked scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors; It's going now and hopefully it will work.

[quote name='sthenic']I agree that it is a sign that the hard drive is failing.
i would make sure you have everything important backed up ASAP[/QUOTE]

Really? I've been skipping over this for about two months now. Still just in case, I'll back everything important on my external.

Is there something else I can run to see how my hard drive is doing lifewise?

- edit 1

What now?

Last edited by a moderator:
Once errors start showing up on your hard drive, more likely than not it is a sign that it is starting to fail. Hard drives are fairly inexpensive and if I were in your shoes, I would just make the plunge and get a new one, if just for peace of mind.

I was able to run CHKDSK in read-only mode and got this.

32445528.jpg

Problem is every time I run it in CHKDSK /f, it freezes at the count down.

[quote name='Sporadic']I was able to run CHKDSK in read-only mode and got this.

32445528.jpg

Problem is every time I run it in CHKDSK /f, it freezes at the count down.[/QUOTE]

My pc was booting up into chkdsk (I have Win XP) and then after it "corrected" any problems, couldn't sign me into my profile and instead logged me into a temp profile. I soon replaced the HDD. That's what you really need to do.

[quote name='kilm']When it happens to me, it's usually the precursor to hard drive failure.[/QUOTE]

Usually, but not always. You could have just some corrupted sector thats making it lock up, doesnt mean the hard drive is definitely going to fail on you though.

[quote name='sthenic']Once errors start showing up on your hard drive, more likely than not it is a sign that it is starting to fail. Hard drives are fairly inexpensive and if I were in your shoes, I would just make the plunge and get a new one, if just for peace of mind.[/QUOTE]

I would reload the drive first before dropping 50 bucks or more on something that may not actually be bad.

If I were you I would backup stuff I want to keep, reload the pc and once you get the bare minimum of windows running I would run check disk again and see if it still does it. If it still is then yes you probablly have a hardware failure. But if it doesnt then your good to go because you just had a bad sector. A simple backup and reload wont take real long and it will tell you if you need a new drive or not. No point in wasting money on a new drive if you dont need one. Hell even if the drive isnt that old and from a major manufacturer you could RMA it and get a new one. Western digital, maxtor, samsung and such print on the top of the drive its manufacturer date and tell you how long the warranty is.

If you do find out its just a software issue after the reload and your good youll find out the pc will run much better. Sure you can run cleaners day and night but after awhile nothing will refresh your pc like a OS wipe.

Try scanning your drive with MHDD32 which is available on the Ultimate Boot CD (google it). You can boot to the CD and then run the scan. That will tell you if your drive is going bad by showing if any sectors are difficult/impossible to read from.

MHDD32 is kind of an obtuse program, but it is worth learning how to use properly.

[quote name='gargus']Usually, but not always. You could have just some corrupted sector thats making it lock up, doesnt mean the hard drive is definitely going to fail on you though.[/QUOTE]

That's why I didn't use "always."

Any chance you can take your hard drive out and load it in an external HD dock or slave it on another machine?
I like this method.

Finally got CHKDSK /f to run. It corrected everything and reported that there were no bad sectors.

I formatted and reinstalled Windows 7 and now everything is working amazingly.

Thanks for the help, everybody.

bread's done
Back