Choosing a major..

[quote name='jaykrue']But what about those guys who get a set salary? Surely they're in the same boat as me? Ah, but there's still a crucial difference. My 'salary' is almost nonexistant next to all these guys who are making 150K a year and up, but they'll end up paying a huge penalty tax-wise when 15% of that money is taken by good ol' Uncle Sam.[/QUOTE]

Not to mention that salaried employees get paid the same whether they work 40 hours a week or 80.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Not to mention that salaried employees get paid the same whether they work 40 hours a work or 80.[/QUOTE]

or 120.

[quote name='javeryh']or 120.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully for you, the majority of those are at least billable so that your employer realizes that you're a valuable human being to keep around. :lol:

[quote name='JSweeney']Hopefully for you, the majority of those are at least billable so that your employer realizes that you're a valuable human being to keep around. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Well, to be honest, I've probably never worked 120 hours in one week. the most I've ever billed was 90 something but that means I was probably at the office or working for close to 120. Generally:

hours billed = (hours worked) * (2/3)

Either way, I don't get any extra money and our bonuses are set at "market bonus" so everyone gets the same amount unless you were unbelievably awful. Also, I don't think the people I work with think I do a particularly good job - they are always commenting on how stupid everyone is - I can only imagine what is said when I'm not around. It's not forever though.

[quote name='javeryh']Well, to be honest, I've probably never worked 120 hours in one week. the most I've ever billed was 90 something but that means I was probably at the office or working for close to 120. Generally:

hours billed = (hours worked) * (2/3)

Either way, I don't get any extra money and our bonuses are set at "market bonus" so everyone gets the same amount unless you were unbelievably awful. Also, I don't think the people I work with think I do a particularly good job - they are always commenting on how stupid everyone is - I can only imagine what is said when I'm not around. It's not forever though.[/QUOTE]

People are like that everywhere, javeryh.
The funny thing is that usually when the guy that talks the most shit leaves the room, people rip into him HARDCORE.

[quote name='JSweeney']People are like that everywhere, javeryh.
The funny thing is that usually when the guy that talks the most shit leaves the room, people rip into him HARDCORE.[/QUOTE]

yeah, I know it's just in my profession everyone has the attitude like their shit don't stink and they really believe they are better than other people just because they have some fancy education and a high paying job. It's funny how easily people mistake wealth for self worth and importance. It makes me sick.

P.S. I'm at work right now.

[quote name='javeryh']yeah, I know it's just in my profession everyone has the attitude like their shit don't stink and they really believe they are better than other people just because they have some fancy education and a high paying job. It's funny how easily people mistake wealth for self worth and importance. It makes me sick.

P.S. I'm at work right now.[/QUOTE]

Ouch. I assume you're also on 24/7 on call? When you're fresh out of college, it seems nice that you get a pager and cell provided to you. Then you begin to hate them. With a passion.

[quote name='zionoverfire']Well you could always try working in a cheaper city, as a starting chemist I make less than shit but living in the middle of nowhere makes my money go quite a bit further.

If you don't mind me asking what exactly don't you like about your job?[/QUOTE]

I take it that you work for a biotech or some small place?

I work in the northeast, so the cost of living issue is just part of the deal if I stay here.

The job stability tends to be questionable at times, and I have very limited opportunity for career advancement given that I only have a masters degree. You will most likely never have the chance to get into management as a chemist unless you have a phd. It is somewhat depressing to have hit the glass ceiling at age 30. Management seems to actually prefer that the more experienced people leave so that they could be replaced with cheaper, "more enthusiastic" younger workers. There is some other stuff, but those are issues that could happen in any field so I won't bring them up here.

I also realize that there are people who have alot worse situations than myself. I served time in fast food when I was younger, and the people who have to do work like this or retail certainly have a much harder life then myself.

[quote name='javeryh']yeah, I know it's just in my profession everyone has the attitude like their shit don't stink and they really believe they are better than other people just because they have some fancy education and a high paying job. It's funny how easily people mistake wealth for self worth and importance. It makes me sick.

P.S. I'm at work right now.[/QUOTE]

That sounds like some people who I know as well, and it is disgusting. It is especially hard to see someone who started out as being decent turn into this under the influence of the other people around them.

Sorry to hear that you are still stuck at work.

[quote name='JSweeney']Ouch. I assume you're also on 24/7 on call? When you're fresh out of college, it seems nice that you get a pager and cell provided to you. Then you begin to hate them. With a passion.[/QUOTE]

Yup. I've got a blackberry which operates as a savior and a leash all at the same time. It's nice to be able to respond when someone is looking for you but at the same time people expect you to always be available. Even on vacation and especially on the weekends. I also have access to our network at home which is great because I rarely have to physically come to the office on a weekend but of course the downside is that even if I've got something going on at home no one thinks twice about giving me work to do.

The main problem (and this is almost straight from Office Space) is that I literally have about 300 bosses that could each ask me to do something at any given moment. I'm a lowly associate so I have to do whatever the Senior Associates and Partners tell me to do. Take today for example, I have a HUGE diligence review/summary to finish by the morning for an IPO but another partner needed my help with SEC filings ALL DAY LONG. I haven't even started the diligence project and it is 10 p.m. already - I don't know what I'm going to do but I do know this - someone is going to be pissed at me. When I pointed out the fact that I hadn't had time to start yet because of other partners giving me crap to do, his response was, and I shit you not, "well, you've got all night." WTF is that? I'm also human and I need to sleep and be able to function in the morning too - not to mention a wife and child at home that I never get to see.

The problem is is that I get paid a lot of money and there are plenty of lawyers out there who would kill for my job so if I'm not willing to do it they could easily find someone who will. I'm totally disposable and they know it so they can abuse the hell out of us without a second thought. Wow I'm angry.

[quote name='javeryh']Yup. I've got a blackberry which operates as a savior and a leash all at the same time. It's nice to be able to respond when someone is looking for you but at the same time people expect you to always be available. Even on vacation and especially on the weekends. I also have access to our network at home which is great because I rarely have to physically come to the office on a weekend but of course the downside is that even if I've got something going on at home no one thinks twice about giving me work to do.

The main problem (and this is almost straight from Office Space) is that I literally have about 300 bosses that could each ask me to do something at any given moment. I'm a lowly associate so I have to do whatever the Senior Associates and Partners tell me to do. Take today for example, I have a HUGE diligence review/summary to finish by the morning for an IPO but another partner needed my help with SEC filings ALL DAY LONG. I haven't even started the diligence project and it is 10 p.m. already - I don't know what I'm going to do but I do know this - someone is going to be pissed at me. When I pointed out the fact that I hadn't had time to start yet because of other partners giving me crap to do, his response was, and I shit you not, "well, you've got all night." WTF is that? I'm also human and I need to sleep and be able to function in the morning too - not to mention a wife and child at home that I never get to see.

The problem is is that I get paid a lot of money and there are plenty of lawyers out there who would kill for my job so if I'm not willing to do it they could easily find someone who will. I'm totally disposable and they know it so they can abuse the hell out of us without a second thought. Wow I'm angry.

[/QUOTE]

Ouch. Well, you'll pull through like you always do.
Then, in a few more years, you'll be the asshole senior associate making some other newbie's life hell.

[quote name='JSweeney']Ouch. Well, you'll pull through like you always do.
Then, in a few more years, you'll be the asshole senior associate making some other newbie's life hell.[/QUOTE]

Or he'll be out of a job. :lol:

Having just graduated I have 2 pieces of advice, pick something that you are good at (the plus to this is that it is usually something you like), or pick something that there are a lot of opportunities in (business, accounting, etc). I majored in Information Sciences because I always had an interest in it, and it seemed that about 75-80% of the other people in it were there because they heard it was a good way to make some money (which isn't even necessarilly true anymore). The thing is, most of these people had zero experience with the type of coursework and zero interest as well, this translated to them getting low GPAs. Now the problem is that with a poor job market, there are a lot of experienced professionals taking low-ball offers from companies, so you need to have some darn good credentials to get looks from companies. Being an entry-level employee typically your credentials are: what school you went to and your GPA there, and then relevant work experience. Most entry-level employees don't have a lot of relevant work experience (hence the entry level), so the bulk of it boils down to your GPA. I had difficulty finding a job with 3 years of college level relevent work experience, and a 3.6 GPA graduating from Penn State, I found something eventually, but it was 3 months after I graduated. I can't imagine the difficulty some of my classmates had who had 2.5s and only 3 months of work experience (typically an unpaid internship). I know that genuinely enjoying the topic not only allowed me to find a career that I would enjoy, but also experience success academically. Just my 2 cents, but I thought I would chime in.

Im looking into actuarial science. 40 hour week with good pay. However, barrier for entry is very high because of the tests you must take, but thats what makes it such a good field. Not like the computer industry has ended up with all these quick degree programs.

You must be very good in math and be very intuitive. Hopefully I enjoy the classes and decide to major in it.

[quote name='daria19']I take it that you work for a biotech or some small place?

I work in the northeast, so the cost of living issue is just part of the deal if I stay here.

The job stability tends to be questionable at times, and I have very limited opportunity for career advancement given that I only have a masters degree. You will most likely never have the chance to get into management as a chemist unless you have a phd. It is somewhat depressing to have hit the glass ceiling at age 30. Management seems to actually prefer that the more experienced people leave so that they could be replaced with cheaper, "more enthusiastic" younger workers. There is some other stuff, but those are issues that could happen in any field so I won't bring them up here.

I also realize that there are people who have alot worse situations than myself. I served time in fast food when I was younger, and the people who have to do work like this or retail certainly have a much harder life then myself.[/QUOTE]

I was wondering if it was the management barrier you were having problems with. I actually turned down a job in biotech to work a cushier government job. But as you say and I've heard from a number of others that it looks like to really do anything I'll have to head back to school in a few years.:cry:

[quote name='JSweeney']Ouch. Well, you'll pull through like you always do.
Then, in a few more years, you'll be the asshole senior associate making some other newbie's life hell.[/QUOTE]

He doesn't need to do it in a few years. I'm the big chief at my company and I only have 12 employees (not counting contracted accountants and lawyers) at my office and I think it boils down to having such a huge company. When you're held accountable to so many ppl, there's no doubt in my mind that pleasing one boss will piss off another - it just can't be done. That's why I haven't had to hire anyone in the last year or so. I'm growing my company at a very slow - if someone glacial - pace. Why? Because it cuts a lot of red tape and you can make real decisions. If you look at one of the most successful companies run by one of the best stock predictors ever - Warren Buffett - his company Berkshire Hathaway doesn't have more than 20 people max and yet he still maintains to keep his company streamlined and efficient for the majority of the company's existance. His company does so well that one of Berkshire's main stock (Class A) goes easily for 10's of thousands of dollars each. They're doing so well that they had to create a secondary stock that's worth 1/30th of the main stock (Class B) which are affectionately known as Baby Berkshires. I've modeled my company after his and it seems to be doing well so far. I'm hesitant to go public just yet since I'm doing well on my own but come 5 years (or if I explode like Google) I'll probably go public.

I'm getting a B.A. in Computer Science. I REALLY suck at math and don't know how to do much. I just find computers very interesting. I liked taking Basic Computer Concepts and the Cisco Networking Class I took in high school was VERY hard, but it was fun and it actually helped me in the Basic Computer Concepts Class I took last year as I already had some experience with the binary number system and the 7 layers of networking. I don't know if I will be successful as a programmer (I took visual basic in high school and did ok) or a networking engineer (once again I suck at math, but the engineer at met while job shadowing was really good), and I REALLY, REALLY can't draw so I imagine I'd suck at doing graphics too, but I do have fun with computers so thats why I picked it.

[quote name='cgpwns']I'm getting a B.A. in Computer Science. I REALLY suck at math and don't know how to do much. I just find computers very interesting. I liked taking Basic Computer Concepts and the Cisco Networking Class I took in high school was VERY hard, but it was fun and it actually helped me in the Basic Computer Concepts Class I took last year as I already had some experience with the binary number system and the 7 layers of networking. I don't know if I will be successful as a programmer (I took visual basic in high school and did ok) or a networking engineer (once again I suck at math, but the engineer at met while job shadowing was really good), and I REALLY, REALLY can't draw so I imagine I'd suck at doing graphics too, but I do have fun with computers so thats why I picked it.[/QUOTE]

No! No, No, No!

A B.S. in Computer Science. is usually 2 more math classes (One in Calculus and the other in Statistics) than a B.A in Computer Science in held in INFINITELY higher regard. (Heck, a dual major in Math and CS is only 2 math classes beyond a standard CS degree)

For all you people who say money is everything even with a shit job, do you actually live in the real world yet? If you hate your job, you'll just go home drained and pissed off, and won't want to deal with your fancy toys and such....I hate my job AND don't make any money :p

man, it's hard trying to find out what you want to do for the rest of your life. I just happen to stumble into something that I can tolerate and make good money in. Funny thing is I decided between my two majors by flipping a coin my second year of college.

[quote name='JSweeney']No! No, No, No!

A B.S. in Computer Science. is usually 2 more math classes (One in Calculus and the other in Statistics) than a B.A in Computer Science in held in INFINITELY higher regard. (Heck, a dual major in Math and CS is only 2 math classes beyond a standard CS degree)[/QUOTE]

Actually you're right about the Math classes, but there are a lot more science and Computer Science courses. However, upon closer inspection of those damn prerequisites I discovered I would have to stay an extra semester either way, so I'm going to try and go for the B.S. in Computer Science and if I suck and fail then maybe I'll pass the classes that would get me a B.A. You never know till you try right? Plus I'm getting an Associates in Science at the technical school (its what lets me transfer to a state college) so it would look wierd to go from that to a BA wouldn't it?

Well guys I think I've got it all figured out. Since I have been going to Miami University in Middletown I decided it'd be best to transfer to Oxford. Originally I thought of going to Wright State because it's a little cheaper but then it'd be a headache to transfer all my classes (its a pain transferring classes). I might end up losing on a lot of the classes I'd taken too. I know Oxford is one of the better degrees you can have (atleast in Ohio). I am going to just stick with my SS Teacher major, it may not pay a lot but history is something I like. Teachers also have summers off so if Im hurting for money that bad I could work then.

Kind of funny, but I've recently decided to get a law degree myself. The whole key is not getting hitched so I can enjoy the rest of my 20s and early 30s, when I'll settle down and go for my masters in.......something :D

Your major does not matter, well, at least to a point.

My dad was a chemistry major.

He got a marketing job out of school.

he brags to me that he makes big big bucks now. He is very excited that I will be graduating soon so he can buy his dream car. He has zero dept except house payments.

Tomorrow will be my first day of college. I'm going to a local community college that has a two year network admin program. I'm looking forward to it, and I think it's something I will enjoy and will make good money with. I already took one of the classes during my senior year of high school and I enjoyed it and learned a lot.
After those two years I can transfer to the University of Northern Iowa for two more years in another network admin program, which I'm planning on doing.

I've been stressing over which major to choose and I didn't know what to choose until I read this.

I'm in what is supposed to be my last semester at community college and I literally had no clue at all what I wanted to major in. I was thinking of maybe choosing biology but I don't really like science and I haven't taken any of the lower division requirements for it. Then I thought I would settle for either scociology or psychology since I have met the requirments (except for maybe one class for one of the school I was going to apply to) but I'm not good at writing (which will hurt my grades) and dealing with people so "directly." I've decided to major in Business Administration since I'm good at math and I think I will enjoy it.
I'll have to take another semester or two here at comunity college to fulfill the requirements but like apossum said earlier "Even if you have to take extra time to figure it out, do what you want to do. Contrary to popular belief, there's no rush." Applications for the Fall 06 semester are due Wednesday Nov 30 so now I have to figure out what classes the Universitys require and if I will be able to complete them intime for the fall.

[quote name='DT778']Then I thought I would settle for either scociology or psychology since I have met the requirments (except for maybe one class for one of the school I was going to apply to) but I'm not good at writing (which will hurt my grades) and dealing with people so "directly." I've decided to major in Business Administration since I'm good at math and I think I will enjoy it.[/QUOTE]

Ugh, if you're not good with people and not good at writing, do NOT choose business administration. Business admin is, you know, managerial work, where you have to manage people (deal with with people, which you said you're not good at) and lots of writing. If you want to choose a business-type job that doesn't have a lot of writing or dealing with people, you should pick something like accounting.

I am a poli-sci major. I didn't choose my major till the summer between my sophomore and junior year. After taking enough classes for two years, I picked a major based on which classes I could make it through without feeling dirty or insanely pissed off at the professor (which basically mean, chem and math were thrown out the window). I am throwing my "future planning" out the window, because I don't know what is out there for someone specific to "political science degree". HOWEVER, as a friend who is doing quite well for himself with a wife and kid said to me, it's not about what you graduate in. There's a lot of jobs out there for people who just have a bachelor's in something. I was a history major, and now i"m doing actuarial work. What he said is TRUE. The bachelor's degree is now considered the new high school diploma. It used to be that a HS Diploma would get you a job and you could work your way up the food chain. THis is, however, not the case anymore, but you can do so with a BA/S.

That being said, when I graduate (after this summer), I'm planning on taking a tirp over to the local community college to get paralegal certification. With a BA, I shouldn't have to take any of the core classes, and I should be mighty more impressive for the job than some schmoe whose only credentials are the community college. After that, I'll go where the wind blows.

I didn't mean to say that I'm not good dealing with people, it just that I would prefer not deal with people in a way that a sociology or psych major would ( what that means, I don't know, I can't really explain it plus im tired and stressed). Your right about that other stuff, my uncle told me a while back that I didn't really matter what you majored in, people just wanted to know that you were able to get one. Hopefullly I can figure all this shit out by wednesday.

If you want a job and you can hack it, be an engineer. If you make it through the money will be there maybe not right away but you willstart higher than most

[quote name='Staind204']Well I went to Miami University of Middletown (Oxford's branch) last year. I plan on going this year too. I declaired my major as Social Studies Education (High School) and I had planned on going back once I got my degree for a Master's in Admin. I am now starting to rethink my major, I know teachers only start off at around 25,000-30,000 a year and it would take me about 4-5 years just to get out of the red once I graduated (assuming I even find a job as soon as I graduate). I haven't got to far into my major yet, I have just been doing the transfer module (General Education classes). What do you think is the most promising career to go into? I need to make up my mind for sure before I get into my major (06-07) school year.[/QUOTE]

check out all your classes before you pick a major and be sure you know you can pass them... i know a lot of people who took the business plan but found out they couldnt pass Math 229 and are screwed since 80-90% of all those business classes do not transfer into another program.

[quote name='Staind204']I know teachers only start off at around 25,000-30,000 a year...[/QUOTE]

it all depends on where you teach.

teachers in a local district start around 45k per year and after 5 years make something like 60k.

I'm guessing natural science isn't the most sought after major among CAG. I was in the same situation over 2 years ago in my community college. I took a lot GE classes while still deciding on which major I would pick for my upper division classes in the community college. I was good at computer and thought that I would do good in computer science or CIS. But I didn't think I would be all that interested in studying computer related subjects, even though I'm decent at it. So in my second semester as a freshman, I took Biology to fill my requirement for a laboratory science, and it made me think about going into a natural science major. I actually DID NOT know what I was about to get myself into. I thought studying biology only requires biology classes. But when I found out about the chemistry requirement, it was a bit too late. I was already into my upper division biology classes in the community college (2nd year bio classes) and had none chemistry classes under my belt. So I had no choice but crammed general chemistry so i will be able to take organic chemistry in the following year. I never liked science back in HS, in fact I got a D in chemistry. But after taking 12 biology and chemistry classes over the past 5 semester, I got used to the subjects. After a while they start teaching the same stuff over and over again, so basically it gets easier and easier as you progress through the 3rd and 4th year biology major. That's my experience w/ choosing my major and going through my choice.

bread's done
Back