Christmas Bonuses?

prence

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
So I've been at this job for about 8 months. The job is wicked stressful and to be honest, I don't get paid enough to put up with some of the BS that I do (despite receiving 2 promotions and raises.)

My plan has been to stick it out until Christmas then grab that Christmas bonus (assuming my jewish boss gives us one, if not then I'll take a Hanukkah bonus instead.) I've also got a bunch of vacation time saved up so I'm taking off the entire Christmas week (we don't get Christmas Eve nor the day after off heh.)

How much of a dick move would it be to take my week off, collect my Christmas bonus, then bounce?

My boss is the kind of person that loves to remind us that we're in a 'right to work' state and he can fire/lay-off anyone for whatever he feels like. It would be nice to remind him that I have a right to quit whenever the hell I feel like it as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Prediction of what will happen in this thread:

Everyone calls OP out for being an asshole, OP retaliates and at least once lets loose an "I make more money than you", people insult the OP more, etcettera, the thread is locked.

You won't get the "I make more money than you" response from me nor will you get any retaliation. I WANT to be an asshole to this guy, as if that wasn't apparent enough by me planning to take vacation time and my Christmas bonus then quit.

You suck at predictions Miss Cleo :(

Our company decided they couldn't afford to buy us pizza for a christmas party, we have to provide our own food... so...

well it is known fact that all Jews are cheap dicks, just look at this sites owner who has never done anything to raise money for kids in the hospital during Christmas

/end sarcasm

Last edited by a moderator:
lordwow: That sucks :\

wombat: It wasn't the stereotype of jews being cheap, it was my boss admitting that he isn't going to give us the days before Christmas and after Christmas off because he is Jewish (and doesn't celebrate it.) That led me to believe that it's possible we wouldn't get Christmas bonuses also because he is a Jew.

[quote name='prence']lordwow: That sucks :\

wombat: It wasn't the stereotype of jews being cheap, it was my boss admitting that he isn't going to give us the days before Christmas and after Christmas off because he is Jewish (and doesn't celebrate it.) That led me to believe that it's possible we wouldn't get Christmas bonuses also because he is a Jew.[/QUOTE]

Well my company is run by a Christian and I don't get those days off either, neither does my wife. I don't think many places are getting off for the three days. In 15 years of working , yes even counting my high school job I don't think i ever got Christmas Eve day off.

[quote name='prence']I am a prostitute in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Also I would cry if Christmas was canceled :([/quote]

Good for you, it's a growth industry.

[quote name='Wombat']Well my company is run by a Christian and I don't get those days off either, neither does my wife. I don't think many places are getting off for the three days. In 15 years of working , yes even counting my high school job I don't think i ever got Christmas Eve day off.[/quote]

I suppose I've just been spoiled in most of my previous jobs then (I had a few that made me work but they were service industry jobs.) But are you getting the day after Christmas off to make it a 4 day weekend?

op:

you have gotten 2 promotions and raises in only 8 months at a job, and it sounds like your company is giving bonuses.
I understand your job has stress and your boss sounds terrible, but with the current economic conditions, from a financial standpoint, you have a pretty sweet deal. And you also get a lot of vacation time while working less than a year.
If you are thinking about remaining in the same industry, you are about to burn a bridge and those actions can come back to haunt you, not only at your next job interview, but down the line- especially if an old boss is vindictive.

If you are doing this solely to say screw you to your boss, watch out that you might end up being the one who ultimately gets screwed.
But if you are moving out of the area, changing career directions, going to school, retiring, don't worry and leave whenever if you hate the boss.

No one wants to give you a fucking day off, but you bet your ass they'll be taking it off or at least leaving REAL early. I bus tables (college) and I have to work thanksgiving and Christmas fucking day serving assholes who don't tip. Nothing like making sure Archibald Pennysworth has a great Christmas with wine and expensive pork only to stiff a college kid who has $40 to his name and doesn't get to see his family.

[quote name='prence']I suppose I've just been spoiled in most of my previous jobs then (I had a few that made me work but they were service industry jobs.) But are you getting the day after Christmas off to make it a 4 day weekend?[/QUOTE]

Nope same thing with New Years

Reality's Fringe;5103915 said:
Archibald Pennysworth

:rofl:

Do you bus at a fancy-pants joint, or is this some on-campus place where all the tweed jacket dudes eat?

Cuz, you know, if I'm goin' out to eat, it's O'Betty's. Even if I'm wearing my tweed jacket.

OP, I can't believe you're even asking the question. Take the bonus and leave, you think the company you work for will give two shits if they need to lay you off?

Hell no, they won't think twice, do what you want.

Edit - You might want to lay off the Jewish stereotypes a bit though.

vherub: Valid point. It seemed like a better plan months ago before the economy took yet ANOTHER dip. Everyone around me has been getting fired (boss is pretty vindictive and whiney) and I just feel like it would be more gratifying to beat him to the punch. You're right though, it's not the smartest move because I don't plan on switching careers or moving.

Reality's Fringe: That sucks heh. I moved across the country from the rest of my family a while ago so my holiday dinners usually consist of whatever restaurant is open at the time. My servers are usually especially chipper despite having to work on a major holiday (time and a half possibly?) The dinners always seem very relaxed and the places are usually almost empty so we spend a lot of time chatting with the staff that is hanging around.

Wombat: Weak. I just asked my girlfriend and she gets both Fridays off (side note: how weird is it that Thanksgiving, Christmas, AND NYE are all on Thursdays?) I also know that both my parents get it off, as does my sister. Granted my girlfriend works for Harvard Med School, my mom teaches at a middle school, my sister does daycare for a church, and my dad gets home from a China business trip the week before so he gets off a week to recover. All of those are the rare exceptions of places that probably have the day off anyway.

[quote name='vherub']op:

you have gotten 2 promotions and raises in only 8 months at a job, and it sounds like your company is giving bonuses.
I understand your job has stress and your boss sounds terrible, but with the current economic conditions, from a financial standpoint, you have a pretty sweet deal. And you also get a lot of vacation time while working less than a year.
If you are thinking about remaining in the same industry, you are about to burn a bridge and those actions can come back to haunt you, not only at your next job interview, but down the line- especially if an old boss is vindictive.

If you are doing this solely to say screw you to your boss, watch out that you might end up being the one who ultimately gets screwed.
But if you are moving out of the area, changing career directions, going to school, retiring, don't worry and leave whenever if you hate the boss.[/quote]

I have to agree.

I wouldn't consider leaving a job unless I have another one to walk into the next day. (ie. last day at your current job is Friday, first day at your next job is Monday)

If you're dedicated to being unemployed by the New Year, get fired first. Just sit at your desk and go to sleep. Then, you might be able to claim unemployment unless the boss takes pictures of you sleeping.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']I have to agree.

I wouldn't consider leaving a job unless I have another one to walk into the next day. (ie. last day at your current job is Friday, first day at your next job is Monday)

If you're dedicated to being unemployed by the New Year, get fired first. Just sit at your desk and go to sleep. Then, you might be able to claim unemployment unless the boss takes pictures of you sleeping.[/quote]

Yeah, I'm not THAT dedicated to being unemployed by a certain date. I'll probably pussy out (aka do the smart thing) and not quit but dammit, it sounded so freaking gratifying in my head.

probably a smart idea, and just so you know, referring to a jewish person by by using the word "jew" as an adjective is quite offensive.

I think most of us feel like we don't paid enough for the amount of shit we put up with in our jobs. God knows I don't and I just changed companies/higher pay bracket. And it all depends on your industry whether or not you work that day before. We would leave a little early if possible and I used to work a 24/7 help desk!

And you've gotten promotions and raises in only 8 months? I don't think your boss would do that if he was really going to fire you because he felt like it.

This all reminds me of the episode of Always Sunny in Philadelphia "The gang goes Jihad".

"Dude, you dropped a hard J".

Tsk tsk OP.

[quote name='Wombat']probably a smart idea, and just so you know, referring to a jewish person by by using the word "jew" as an adjective is quite offensive.[/quote]

Noted, I'll make sure I add the 'ish' in the future.

OP: Do what you feel is best, just remember that there are consequences to all actions. I say be the bigger man. Get your bonus, cash the check, and then give your two week notice. :D If he gets all pissy and fires you, it will seem retaliatory and you'll be able to collect unemployment. Of course, this assumes your state has unemployment insurance to pay out.

[quote name='Wombat']probably a smart idea, and just so you know, referring to a jewish person by by using the word "jew" as an adjective is quite offensive.[/QUOTE]

You give people WAY too much credit. How many people actually analyze their casually written sentences (or spoken word) to the point where they are trying to figure out whether the use of a slang term is a noun, verb, or adjective? Just sayin...

[quote name='Wombat']probably a smart idea, and just so you know, referring to a jewish person by by using the word "jew" as an adjective is quite offensive.[/QUOTE]

So was this:

[quote name='Wombat']well it is known fact that all Jews are cheap dicks, just look at this sites owner who has never done anything to raise money for kids in the hospital during Christmas[/QUOTE]

[quote name='daphatty']You give people WAY too much credit. How many people actually analyze their casually written sentences (or spoken word) to the point where they are trying to figure out whether the use of a slang term is a noun, verb, or adjective? Just sayin...[/quote]

It was more laziness than anything else but I figured Wombat saw it differently when he made the quip about CheapyD; so 'Jewish' it is.

[quote name='prence']It was more laziness than anything else but I figured Wombat saw it differently when he made the quip about CheapyD; so 'Jewish' it is.[/QUOTE]

I don't mean to get all panty bunchy about it, although i guess I did, I just wanted you to be aware that the way you used the word was offensive. I know you didn't know and thats OK, but hopefully you know now

[quote name='prence']I am a prostitute in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Also I would cry if Christmas was canceled :([/quote]

Keep that up, and you loose New Years too

[quote name='mykevermin']:rofl:

Do you bus at a fancy-pants joint, or is this some on-campus place where all the tweed jacket dudes eat?

Cuz, you know, if I'm goin' out to eat, it's O'Betty's. Even if I'm wearing my tweed jacket.[/QUOTE]

It's an upscale restaurant downtown, which means we get all of the management shitheads who only have jobs because other management shitheads want to preserve the status quo of being a shithead (I'm an economics major who goes nuts when someone equates me to a management major. An Economist deals with resource allocation, an upper-level Manager is an asshole who has no REAL idea of how a business works.). It's hilarious; they come in and bring presents and sit with their family giving out money and gifts, but when it comes time to pay the bill they're too down on their luck to tip even 18%. Never mind that we went out of our way to make sure your food was prepared and served in whatever buttfuckingly BIZARRE fashion you requested, made sure you always had wine or a cocktail, cleaned up after your dumbass spilled shit all over the floor because you're too lazy to move your plate when reaching for the bread.

Sorry. IT's just....if one more old person in a suit raises their hand and snaps their fingers at me, I'm going to hit them over the head with a plate. There has to be a mathematical correlation between a person's income level and how much of a whiny, spoiled, childish asshole they become when in public.

[quote name='prence']

Reality's Fringe: That sucks heh. I moved across the country from the rest of my family a while ago so my holiday dinners usually consist of whatever restaurant is open at the time. My servers are usually especially chipper despite having to work on a major holiday (time and a half possibly?) The dinners always seem very relaxed and the places are usually almost empty so we spend a lot of time chatting with the staff that is hanging around.

[/QUOTE]

No offense man, but time and a half for a server is, what, $4 an hour (not ON the hour, but total)? People in the food service make money off of commission, which is why we get pissed when people don't tip. If your service sucks, I see your point, but there are few instances where shit is so bad you should stiff them on the tip. Just because a waitress isn't sucking your dick doesn't mean you shouldn't give her fucking 18%. I'm not talking about YOU per say, just in general.

Also, it doesn't matter how nice the waitresses are; they hate being there late or on holidays. Period. I'm nice to people who walk in 5 minutes before closing and sit for 2 hours too, but that doesn't mean I don't want to fucking shoot them. Especially when they tip some bullshit amount.

[quote name='mykevermin']What do you do and how much do you make to become such a whiny bitch?[/quote]

This.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']I wouldn't consider leaving a job unless I have another one to walk into the next day. (ie. last day at your current job is Friday, first day at your next job is Monday)[/quote]

And this.

where the hell does the op work that he started in march and already has enough vacation time to take a week off (not to mention Xmas week which is hard to get as low man on the totem pole) and is getting a Xmas bonus without actually having been working there for a full year yet?

Yeah...sounds like you got it tough...

/sarcasm

bread's done
Back