Chrono Trigger/Cross on the GBA or DS - will it happen?

Demolition Man

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I've been really itching to play Chrono Trigger as of lately. Does anyone think that Square is going to do a GBA port of CT?

Also, seeing that the original Resident Evil just got ported to the DS would it be possible for a DS port for Chrono Cross to be done?

Thanks folks.

If I knew what the sale numbers were I could probably tell you better...

But since the release of FF1&2 on GBA was followed by FFIV, with FFIII due on for the DS, I'm guessing sales were good enough to warrant the additional releases. And I can't imagine a more profit-boosting enterprise for Square than porting old games to high demand. So yes, I would say it will, or should, happen.

I believe it will, on the grounds that Square-Enix will have to come up with stuff to do between now and the 5...6...or more years it'll take to get another Final Fantasy out.

[quote name='botticus']If I knew what the sale numbers were I could probably tell you better...

But since the release of FF1&2 on GBA was followed by FFIV, with FFIII due on for the DS, I'm guessing sales were good enough to warrant the additional releases. And I can't imagine a more profit-boosting enterprise for Square than porting old games to high demand. So yes, I would say it will, or should, happen.[/QUOTE]

Not to mention FF5 and FF6 are getting GBA ports. Personally I'm hyped for the FF6 port as that's my favorite Final Fantasy. :D

I think Square-Enix should release the Dragon Quest 5(remake?) for PS2 here along with all the other Dragon Quest games not released in the U.S.

No, because Square evidently hates money. I mean, it took Nintnedo publishing the FF games to get them GBA ports. Maybe Nintendo can convince them to bring CT to the GBA (please let that happen!!), or maybe it's going to be a "killer-old-app" for the Revolution.

Screw the DS, I want these released on GBA or PSP.

I don't need dual screens or touch screen capability to play an RPG.

I finally got a Chrono Trigger cart so I have been playing it lately. So far it seems like an awesome game (im about 10 hrs in). I wonder what extras they could add for a DS/GBA release?

Remember people, in addition to rereleasing the older FFs on GBA, Square has been whoring the hell out of FF7 lately (which is arguably their most popular game ever). It seems like someone there went, "Hey, people like these, let's make lots of money!" so I don't see how they could overlook Chrono Trigger if that's the case.

Personally, I'd like to see a PS2 remake of CT with Factor 5 handling the graphics engine (basically, so that it looks like DQ8). That would be amazing.

I doubt they'd do a port because with the Revolution coming out, they can hock it and make pure profit without the risk of excess inventory. I'm starting to wonder if this is why Nintendo didn't bring over the Earthbound 2 pack here; why risk it when they can distribute it on a pay-by-download basis?

Chrono Cross no. That game was no where near as good as Chrono trigger. But Dragon Quest 5 remake and certain series in general coming over in some form. Yes. Especially since you can find them on the net already translated on emulaters. They'll come over in some form. Just look at what there doing to Final Fantasy. All are getting the DS/GBA treatment.

Reality's Fringe]I doubt they'd do a port because with the Revolution coming out said:
I want it portable. For something that eats up so much time, it is by far easier to play it here and there then on my ass in front of the TV, which I never do.

i play my chrono trigger on psp which actually i got running better than the ps1 release. im about to get a ds and i wouldnt mind if they remade it for the ds with some extras. also im impatiently waiting for that mario rpg rerelease.

Reality's Fringe said:
I'm starting to wonder if this is why Nintendo didn't bring over the Earthbound 2 pack here; why risk it when they can distribute it on a pay-by-download basis?

I've been thinking that they're probably holding off on that to release it before Mother 3 here and garner some attention.

Here's what I don't get:

Nintendo is content to publish other RPG's that aren't their's, such as Tales of Phantasia and the Final Fantasies, yet they won't take a chance and bring out their own Earthbound double pack?

Hey Nintendo, it would sell ALOT better then Tales of Phantasia, I guarantee it.

I would love to see a 3D remake of CT for the DS. It would be great if the team working on the remake of FF3 would work on a CT remake once they finish FF3.

[quote name='Kaijufan']I would love to see a 3D remake of CT for the DS. It would be great if the team working on the remake of FF3 would work on a CT remake once they finish FF3.[/QUOTE]

How about just porting CT to the GBA instead. I don't need a freakin 3D remake. Just give me the damn original as is thanks.

We will see either one would be good. But if they want to re-establish Chrono as a series then they might go the 3d remake route like FF3. With all the games and remakes they've made it's possible. Let's just hope if it happens it hits here and not Japan only. Thats been known to happen. I'm still angry DQ5 remake didn't come out here for example. Of course the original didn't either, but man fan-sub or not I loved that game.

[quote name='Demolition Man']How about just porting CT to the GBA instead. I don't need a freakin 3D remake. Just give me the damn original as is thanks.[/QUOTE]
Why do we need a 3D remake of FFIII, when they could just port it over to the GBA?

I would like to see Chrono Trigger remade in 3D, but if I got a GBA port I would be happy with that. I just want to be able to play it on my DS.

they'll do one, and then the other later, so that you'll have to buy both, and in conjuction with the original and the PS1, you'll have bought it FOUR times. Except its not Resident Evil 1

[quote name='j.elles']Chrono Cross no. That game was no where near as good as Chrono trigger. But Dragon Quest 5 remake and certain series in general coming over in some form. Yes. Especially since you can find them on the net already translated on emulaters. They'll come over in some form. Just look at what there doing to Final Fantasy. All are getting the DS/GBA treatment.[/QUOTE]

There already is a remake for DQ5 for the PS2.

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-43-77-6-49-en-15-dragon+quest-70-2zo.html

Now, if they would bring this over to the U.S. Along with the PS1 collection of the DQ: Monster games and DQ4 for the PS1 and all the others....Time to learn Japanese I guess.

[quote name='j.elles'] I'm still angry DQ5 remake didn't come out here for example. Of course the original didn't either, but man fan-sub or not I loved that game.[/QUOTE]

Maybe since DQ8 seems to be doing well, Square might want to bring DQ5 remake also. We can only hope...then again, I guess this is a good time to start learning Japanese again.

Well just in case some people didn't know. The FF III being remade and released for the DS is NOT the FF III released in the US for SNES. It is the FF III that was released for the NES in japan and never made it to the US. The FF III for SNES in the US is actually FF VI in Japan. I think all the FF's that were released in the US are being ported to the GBA, while they are remaking the FFIII that was never released here.

[quote name='mkg12']Well just in case some people didn't know. The FF III being remade and released for the DS is NOT the FF III released in the US for SNES. It is the FF III that was released for the NES in japan and never made it to the US. The FF III for SNES in the US is actually FF VI in Japan. I think all the FF's that were released in the US are being ported to the GBA, while they are remaking the FFIII that was never released here.[/QUOTE]
FFV is also going to be released on the GBA, which was not released in the US.

[quote name='chubs189']i play my chrono trigger on psp which actually i got running better than the ps1 release. im about to get a ds and i wouldnt mind if they remade it for the ds with some extras. also im impatiently waiting for that mario rpg rerelease.[/QUOTE]

Then you'd be the first, as it was confirmed fu(ked.

[quote name='j.elles']We will see either one would be good. But if they want to re-establish Chrono as a series then they might go the 3d remake route like FF3. With all the games and remakes they've made it's possible. Let's just hope if it happens it hits here and not Japan only. Thats been known to happen. I'm still angry DQ5 remake didn't come out here for example. Of course the original didn't either, but man fan-sub or not I loved that game.[/QUOTE]What was the DQ5 remake for? That's not that Slime Mori Mori DS game is it?

[quote name='Dkellar']Maybe since DQ8 seems to be doing well, Square might want to bring DQ5 remake also. We can only hope...then again, I guess this is a good time to start learning Japanese again.[/QUOTE]

Squareenix was actually disappointed with sales of DQ 8 in the US... I doubt they'd spend the time sending over any other ones, unless it's a sequel.

Would be nice if they threw them on the GBA, since we are getting FF V and VI.

Released late March 2004 for the PS2. Dragon Quest 5 remake.

Also Ys 3 for the SNes was remade with Y's 6 engine and released over there on PC and PS2. I actually have the Japanese version and am playing it, well. . . wading through it and reffering to a story summary every once in a while.

I don't think it sold millions but DQ did well. And with all this talk of companies taking more risks with rising dev. costs and the TONS of SquareEnix games coming out for DS GBA it's possible that we'll see it in some form in the next 5 years. And a lot of people I know who don't like RPG's bought it. Quite a few were DBZ fans but thats beside the point. In the end I have hope.

[quote name='botticus']FFV is also going to be released on the GBA, which was not released in the US.[/QUOTE]
It didn't come out on the SNES, but it did come out for the Playstation.

[quote name='Kaijufan']It didn't come out on the SNES, but it did come out for the Playstation.[/QUOTE]

I do prefer the unofficial English translation over the one Square did. Somehow I like the names they used on that one instead.... or something like that. :D

[quote name='Demolition Man']I do prefer the unofficial English translation over the one Square did. Somehow I like the names they used on that one instead.... or something like that. :D[/QUOTE]
Butz?

Never heard of it released in English, but ah well. I enjoyed my ROM and will enjoy the GBA port.

[quote name='botticus']
Never heard of it released in English, but ah well. I enjoyed my ROM and will enjoy the GBA port.[/QUOTE]

Final Fantasy Anthology for Playstation 1?

Hell, the fact that FFV was on it was its big selling point.

[quote name='Roufuss']Final Fantasy Anthology for Playstation 1?

Hell, the fact that FFV was on it was its big selling point.[/QUOTE]
Oh yeah, that. I don't do the PS1 ;)

bread's done
Back