Chrono Trigger DS Thread - E3 Impressions Post #272

[quote name='joe50000']I And there's little character development. Robo, Magus, Frog, and hell, even Ayla are the only ones that have their moments. [/quote]

Which is....4/6 main characters, which I'd suspect is actually quite high against most other RPGs. FFVI is probably one of the few, few exceptions, which could probably be chalked up to it being Square's flagship series, so it inevitably was given far more attention and time to be developed. If Square could foresee the product of Chrono Trigger beforehand, I wonder if they'd have allocated more resources toward making it better? A fun thing to imagine upon.

Chrono could be argued to have his point throughout the entire game, what with what happens in the middle, to say nothing of replays where you can finish it just with him.

Marle is probably the one honest character who doesn't have a moment, but even that's up for discussion. She just has a very typical one - the tomboy princess in disguise who wants to live outside the monotonous safety of her heritage and castle walls. But even this is sort of a simplified glossing over, since the entire game is based on the discovery of the time travel mechanic, which Marle catalyzes, and even has that moment of
unbeing
. I'd say that's somewhat momentous.

In fact, the later battles are so strategic that you're really better off just using individual techs.

Sounds a little contradictory...strategic, but better off using single techs? I guess you're saying you deal more damage if you just spam out, say, Luminare, and then...whatever anyone else would use, which you probably don't have to since that first spell is going to wipe out most people.

Certain time-based aspects, such as the weapon chests, are underused, and feel sort of out of place by the time you can find them.

Yet the number of games that have such things are incredibly rare, which is why I fail to see this as a "bad" thing. You basically call it an afterthought, which I could see in a definition sense, but the connotation is all wrong - it more or less had to be one. I give them credit for doing it simply because that kind of planning is very difficult to realize, whether or not you are directly trying to do it or doing it by accident.

I do like this game though FFVI reigns supreme in RPG land for me.

I've said before that I consider CT a technically flawless game. The music, the animations, the artwork, everything was clearly given a lot of attention, flooded with plenty of polish. They literally didn't leave a thing to chance - every last detail was pored over and made perfect. There's just no point where you think "Oh, this is where they cut corners." A great example is rolling up on Magus the first time, and the camera pans out up his crib and looks legitimately foreboding. Then you get inside and it's just creepy, with silence and seemingly zombified humans, breaking out into some outright eerie music with a menacing laugh, to say nothing of the madness of the characters you meet in there. It could have easily just had you walk in, no fanfare, there's Magus, oh he throws a few cronies at you, oh you beat them, oh you beat him, now it's over. The fact that it wasn't is still inspiring to me.

There's no point in CT where this sort of craftsmanship isn't found. Like you said, all the side missions tie in. That - in an of itself - is truly unique in this or any genre.

FFVI I see more as the archetypal granddaddy of the RPG at the moment, with a huge cast of characters all with individual storylines and personalities. There's a huge amount of themes and motifs to deal with, a lot of side quests, even lots of little secrets and things to think about. But part of it does feel dated, parts of it are tedious, and parts of it are simply underutilized. As a whole, however, it better embodies the best aspects of the genre, but with a few flaws.

CT I see as being without blemish, but simpler overall. Which I can deal with of course. I probably sound more like a nitpicky counterpoint than anything, since you say you like the game. It's more that...I just like disussin'.

'Course, I'm of the opinion that Earthbound completely smashes both to the ground and dances on their graves, but that's another discussion.

Homeland: Was you the dood that was all "should I get this or Guitar Hero?" I can't remember.

Also, Imma post some thoughts on this game. Only got it a few weeks ago and have been playing it here and there. There's a few things to discuss.

[quote name='Strell']

Homeland: Was you the dood that was all "should I get this or Guitar Hero?" I can't remember.
[/quote]

No. I already have enough plastic instruments collecting dust. Considering I play my DS in bed with no sound (since my wife is sleeping) i'm not sure how much fun GH can be on mute.

But, you just reminded me about earthbound. I've started that game 3 times now and have never gotten far. After Soul Bubbles and Moon...I'll get to River city Ransom (another game you suggested) and earthbound.

The double and triple techs are awesome. Why? Because there are so many combinations of characters that you can get new techs to try out all the time. You're constantly rewarded with them for taking on the battles. It is almost never work.

Average game that IS fun and easy to play, but doesn't deserve the 10/10 most people seem to give it.

The main "character", character being used very loosely, is lame, and is mostly just a place holder for equipment and statistics.
Not sure why so many people chide the hero in DQ yet spooge over Chrono...they're both the same.

[quote name='daschrier']
Not sure why so many people chide the hero in DQ yet spooge over Chrono...they're both the same.[/QUOTE]

This article has a good take on this:

Crono could have been a really emo character. He has spiky hair, he stays silent all the time, and he's in a huge quest which could easily kill him. However, it's the little things that make him awesome instead. His battle animations, the victory movement he does when he wins, and the fact that there's a button in the game that makes him dance at some points all make him look cheery.

Whereas every other silent JRPG hero is just boring, Crono actually has a personality he conveys silently. And it's a personality that actually is amusing instead of obnoxious.

[quote name='Strell']Which is....4/6 main characters, which I'd suspect is actually quite high against most other RPGs. FFVI is probably one of the few, few exceptions, which could probably be chalked up to it being Square's flagship series, so it inevitably was given far more attention and time to be developed. If Square could foresee the product of Chrono Trigger beforehand, I wonder if they'd have allocated more resources toward making it better? A fun thing to imagine upon.[/quote]

Chrono Trigger not having enough resources? it was the first marriage of Square and Enix.

Chrono could be argued to have his point throughout the entire game, what with what happens in the middle, to say nothing of replays where you can finish it just with him.

Yeah, but he doesn't have any dialogue. He's just a placeholder. And you have to play almost the entire game with him.

Marle is probably the one honest character who doesn't have a moment, but even that's up for discussion. She just has a very typical one - the tomboy princess in disguise who wants to live outside the monotonous safety of her heritage and castle walls. But even this is sort of a simplified glossing over, since the entire game is based on the discovery of the time travel mechanic, which Marle catalyzes, and even has that moment of
unbeing
. I'd say that's somewhat momentous.

It may be momentous, but it doesn't seem to faze her at all. She remains unchanged throughout the whole game.

Sounds a little contradictory...strategic, but better off using single techs? I guess you're saying you deal more damage if you just spam out, say, Luminare, and then...whatever anyone else would use, which you probably don't have to since that first spell is going to wipe out most people.

No, I meant that you can't just spam your enemies with spells like luminaire or using triple and double techs. Since you've played the game you probably know that there's no way to get through the Black Omen by just spamming your enemies with spells.

Yet the number of games that have such things are incredibly rare, which is why I fail to see this as a "bad" thing. You basically call it an afterthought, which I could see in a definition sense, but the connotation is all wrong - it more or less had to be one. I give them credit for doing it simply because that kind of planning is very difficult to realize, whether or not you are directly trying to do it or doing it by accident.

But time travel is the core of this game, and very few RPGs - and games in general, almost NONE - explore this concept. It's really underused. Just because there's SOME in this game at all doesn't excuse that it's the central theme of the game and it's hardly touched upon.

I've said before that I consider CT a technically flawless game. The music, the animations, the artwork, everything was clearly given a lot of attention, flooded with plenty of polish. They literally didn't leave a thing to chance - every last detail was pored over and made perfect. There's just no point where you think "Oh, this is where they cut corners." A great example is rolling up on Magus the first time, and the camera pans out up his crib and looks legitimately foreboding. Then you get inside and it's just creepy, with silence and seemingly zombified humans, breaking out into some outright eerie music with a menacing laugh, to say nothing of the madness of the characters you meet in there. It could have easily just had you walk in, no fanfare, there's Magus, oh he throws a few cronies at you, oh you beat them, oh you beat him, now it's over. The fact that it wasn't is still inspiring to me.

Yeah, I do appreciate the luster of the game, but the problem I had is that the game as a whole lacks substance.

There's no point in CT where this sort of craftsmanship isn't found. Like you said, all the side missions tie in. That - in an of itself - is truly unique in this or any genre.

Actually, side quests tying in with the main storyline and characters is in every Final Fantasy game since FFVI onwards.

FFVI I see more as the archetypal granddaddy of the RPG at the moment, with a huge cast of characters all with individual storylines and personalities. There's a huge amount of themes and motifs to deal with, a lot of side quests, even lots of little secrets and things to think about. But part of it does feel dated, parts of it are tedious, and parts of it are simply underutilized. As a whole, however, it better embodies the best aspects of the genre, but with a few flaws.

CT I see as being without blemish, but simpler overall. Which I can deal with of course. I probably sound more like a nitpicky counterpoint than anything, since you say you like the game. It's more that...I just like disussin'.

Well I guess we do agree, with little disagreement. I like this game, but I put it nowhere near the list of top RPGs that i've played. The storyline is just too dull, the characters are way too stereotypical, there's not enough character development, and the ultimate enemy in the game isn't very interesting. However, many of the bosses were great villains.

'Course, I'm of the opinion that Earthbound completely smashes both to the ground and dances on their graves, but that's another discussion.

You know, I still can't figure out why that game got such bad reviews when it first came out.

Also, Imma post some thoughts on this game. Only got it a few weeks ago and have been playing it here and there. There's a few things to discuss.[/QUOTE]

Have you played it before, or is this your first time playing it on the DS?

[quote name='Strell']This article has a good take on this:

Whereas every other silent JRPG hero is just boring, Crono actually has a personality he conveys silently. And it's a personality that actually is amusing instead of obnoxious.[/QUOTE]

I think if you want Chrono to be cool and have a badass personality, then he will. DQ has always had a silent protagonist as the hero was supposed to be the player, and have any persona the player imagines. I think that works for me more in DQ because the hero is born as a hero and has godly powers, you know what you're getting.
With Chrono, you meet him going to the fair and know he has a friend Lucca and a mother...and that's about it.

Another point made about the non-random encounters, they're most often placed where they aren't avoidable, so they're more like set encounters. This is helpful in that you typically just move along the dungeon and have gained the right levels for the boss, but annoying in backtracking because you often have to fight the same easy enemies because they aren't avoidable.

I'm only about 2/3 through the game, but wish they had done more like with they did with Frog.

[quote name='daschrier']Average game that IS fun and easy to play, but doesn't deserve the 10/10 most people seem to give it.

The main "character", character being used very loosely, is lame, and is mostly just a place holder for equipment and statistics.
Not sure why so many people chide the hero in DQ yet spooge over Chrono...they're both the same.[/quote]

I think this game would be considered average, if there were more games like it. But there aren't.

Is there really a point to arguing who's more silent of the silent protagonists?

The problem with Final Fantasy 6 and 7 is that the Magicite/Materia system allows you to make every character virtually the same. The individual skills they have pale in comparison. From a gameplay perspective, the characters are then completely interchangeable/non-distinct.

This is not a good thing.

Even if the characters are just Fighter, Thief, Mage, etc., just make them actually different when it comes to gameplay.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DQT']I think this game would be considered average, if there were more games like it. But there aren't.

Is there really a point to arguing who's more silent of the silent protagonists?[/QUOTE]

Yes, because many people bitch about DQ for having a mute main, and even Zelda, BoF, but when it comes to Chrono everyone seems to forget that he was mute as well.

Aside from the new game plus system, what makes this game rise about average? That's all that this game has going for it.

[quote name='daschrier']Aside from the new game plus system, what makes this game rise about average? That's all that this game has going for it.[/QUOTE]

You know, at this point, you're just trying to pass off your subjective whims as fact.

And if that's the case, I fail to see any conceivable reason why you'd be in a thread for a rerelease of a game you clearly find to be "average." It smacks of "YES, I wasn't on the 'net 10 years ago when CT first came out, so I have a second chance to complaaaaaaaain!"

You've also got this hardon to complain about how DQ - a series composed of a minimum of eight games - continues to use the same exact molds for itself endlessly, with no need to change how 90% of it is played and presented. I'm not an FF fan that much anymore, but at least I can recognize that Square makes very bold attempts to change how the game is played - from the screwball mechanics of FF8 to the streamlined battle system of 12, from a job system in 5 to the materia socketing - at the least they make a lot of strides here and there.

Meaning, it could just be that people are tired of seeing an epic game series with an epic world and epic storyline be chained with - yet again - a silent protagonist who makes no effort to say anything in the face of such epic occurrences around him, which you might get tired of after a while.

This is not to say silent heroes are bad. I'm merely pointing out how a series might feel stale after its umpteenth iteration where most of the rules are the same, and that testing out a talkative hero might not necessarily be bad.

Understand that this argument is sort of a sore point for me, because it's leveled unfairly all over the place. My favorite is "there's too many Mario games," which is a retarded statement. Is he whored out as a character? Yes. Are there too many Mario games? No. There's been exactly 3 3D platformers since 1996, and almost no new 2D platformers since then (with a few obvious exceptions). In other words, it's a different flavor of the same argument - that we've seen something we're so used to that it becomes stale, even when that might not be fully 100% a fair argument.

It's an important point - I hope I'm making myself clear.

The counter for CT is that there is one CT, since I don't count Chrono Cross (which borrows almost exclusively in name only). Meaning that people might put up with a one-shot silent hero way better than a series that exclusively stars such people, where they could interchange everyone's palettes and no one would be the wiser. Still not wholly fair argument, but you're not making wholly fair arguments either, so I'm rolling the dice here.

@DMK: I was pretty sure I was the only person in the world who found that interchangeable magicite system somewhat flawed, since toward the end I taught everyone Ultima and smashed Kefka without breaking a sweat.

FF6 might suffer from that, but that's just one of its minor flaws.

Last edited by a moderator:
No one is "spooging" over Crono as you put it. Most of the CT fans talk/spooge about all the other characters. You're right. They're all the same. I don't see why you felt the need to point that out.

CT is above average because like Nintendo games, it gets all the details right. Enemies animate and have personality. They stand on each other. They use weapons that can be detroyed with magic.

You could beat the game before the story is over at certain points in the game rather than using a cop out to stick you on the path.

The game has heart. It's a game that wanted to be made. You can tell its creators enjoyed making it just by playing it (sometimes literally).

Now I want to know why you think this game is average. joe backed up his point. And yes, Lavos is pretty darn uninteresting.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']The problem with Final Fantasy 6 and 7 is that the Magicite/Materia system allows you to make every character virtually the same. The individual skills they have pale in comparison. From a gameplay perspective, the characters are then completely interchangeable/non-distinct.

This is not a good thing.

Even if the characters are just Fighter, Thief, Mage, etc., just make them actually different when it comes to gameplay.[/QUOTE]

you could say that about nearly every single Final Fantasy game. FFIII, V, VI, VII, VIII, X, and XII.

I'm looking for a new rpg to put in my ds. Chrono trigger is the only rpg i've been able to play all the way through. Any suggestions on similiar rpgs? I have ffIV but stuck and will probably give up on..What about the ones coming out next month and March? any of them similiar to Chrono trigger?

[quote name='homeland'] any of them similiar to Chrono trigger?[/QUOTE]

Despite the discussion from a few posts back (where some would claim otherwise), there's really nothing else out there like CT.

[quote name='Strell']Despite the discussion from a few posts back (where some would claim otherwise), there's really nothing else out there like CT.[/QUOTE]

There's Chrono Cross. Despite the lack of similarities story and character wise between Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross, there are many similarities.

The balanced level up system

There are no battles on the overworld map

It had a better, more balanced version of active time battle.

There were a lot of great RPG innovations. Branching paths, secret characters, tons of side adventures, doing away with a regular level up system, automatic health/MP restoration after battle, and you can actually escape battles.

I've played Chrono Cross but for some reason I could never get into it (though I admit it has one of the greatest soundtracks of all time).

If Chrono Trigger DS sold well and Square Enix decides to bring Chrono Cross to the DS (which I'm sure it can handle graphically, I'm not completly sure if they can compress the music and FMVs enough to fit on a DS cart) I might have to give it another shot.

[quote name='Kaijufan']I've played Chrono Cross but for some reason I could never get into it (though I admit it has one of the greatest soundtracks of all time).

If Chrono Trigger DS sold well and Square Enix decides to bring Chrono Cross to the DS (which I'm sure it can handle graphically, I'm not completly sure if they can compress the music and FMVs enough to fit on a DS cart) I might have to give it another shot.[/QUOTE]

Chrono Cross was only 2 CDs, so maybe.

Although I would much rather play a new game instead of a remake of a game that isn't dated at all.

[quote name='Strell']Exactly.[/QUOTE]

I liked Chrono Cross better than Chrono Trigger though. It had a better battle system and the element system was much deeper than the tech system.

It hasn't aged a bit either. Love playing it even to this day.

It seems like many of the faults I mentioned with Chrono Trigger - especially the underuse of the time travel theme - were products of technical limitations of the SNES. They were much more prevalent in Chrono Cross. I also liked how Chrono Cross actually had a main antagonist that wasn't just a big porcupine that never said anything.

I agree that it was revolutionary in many respects, and there was a lot to the game other than the story/battle/story/battle/story/battle/story pattern that RPGs had followed up to that point (other than FFVI).

Picked this up last night, totally forgot about the poster pack-in. Just like the good old SNES days! Figure I'll start it this weekend, since it always takes me a while to get into it.

[quote name='Strell']You know, at this point, you're just trying to pass off your subjective whims as fact.

And if that's the case, I fail to see any conceivable reason why you'd be in a thread for a rerelease of a game you clearly find to be "average." It smacks of "YES, I wasn't on the 'net 10 years ago when CT first came out, so I have a second chance to complaaaaaaaain!"

You've also got this hardon to complain about how DQ - a series composed of a minimum of eight games - continues to use the same exact molds for itself endlessly, with no need to change how 90% of it is played and presented. I'm not an FF fan that much anymore, but at least I can recognize that Square makes very bold attempts to change how the game is played - from the screwball mechanics of FF8 to the streamlined battle system of 12, from a job system in 5 to the materia socketing - at the least they make a lot of strides here and there.

Meaning, it could just be that people are tired of seeing an epic game series with an epic world and epic storyline be chained with - yet again - a silent protagonist who makes no effort to say anything in the face of such epic occurrences around him, which you might get tired of after a while.

This is not to say silent heroes are bad. I'm merely pointing out how a series might feel stale after its umpteenth iteration where most of the rules are the same, and that testing out a talkative hero might not necessarily be bad.

Understand that this argument is sort of a sore point for me, because it's leveled unfairly all over the place. My favorite is "there's too many Mario games," which is a retarded statement. Is he whored out as a character? Yes. Are there too many Mario games? No. There's been exactly 3 3D platformers since 1996, and almost no new 2D platformers since then (with a few obvious exceptions). In other words, it's a different flavor of the same argument - that we've seen something we're so used to that it becomes stale, even when that might not be fully 100% a fair argument.

It's an important point - I hope I'm making myself clear.

The counter for CT is that there is one CT, since I don't count Chrono Cross (which borrows almost exclusively in name only). Meaning that people might put up with a one-shot silent hero way better than a series that exclusively stars such people, where they could interchange everyone's palettes and no one would be the wiser. Still not wholly fair argument, but you're not making wholly fair arguments either, so I'm rolling the dice here.

@DMK: I was pretty sure I was the only person in the world who found that interchangeable magicite system somewhat flawed, since toward the end I taught everyone Ultima and smashed Kefka without breaking a sweat.

FF6 might suffer from that, but that's just one of its minor flaws.[/QUOTE]

Everyone's whims are passed off as fact....a game being a 10/10 or a 1/10 is subjective and has no facts around it at all...

I'm discussing a game I feel is average, because if everyone posted about how awesome the game was...it's not really a discussion at all.

I've already said the game is fun, however I don't see how everyone believes it to be a solid 10/10 game, which is fine because DQ8 is one of my favorite games of all time and many don't like that either.

[quote name='daschrier']Everyone's whims are passed off as fact....a game being a 10/10 or a 1/10 is subjective and has no facts around it at all...[/quote]

That's bullshit. You can cull objective analysis of a game based on factors like whether or not it glitches, whether or not the systems in place are working (from interface to event triggers to saving properly), how well the menus are designed, whether or not there's graphical problems, etc etc etc. A game has to functionally work in order to secure a high score. If Pacman crashed everytime you took a right turn, no one would have played it.

Don't pull that "an opinion is never wrong" nonsense with me - it's a tired and incorrect concept, and whoever thought it up needs to be slapped.

Yes - there is a subjective slant. The old "the audience X is for is the audience X is for." There's no way someone who only wants to play RTS games and hates FPS games is ever going to like an FPS - that's just the facts of life. But pretending that there is no objective basis for reviewing games is ludicrous - it's an extreme in the other direction, but with a more devious appeal toward some kind of truth. That truth doesn't exist, however, and instead is just a bunch of spit and sawdust.

I'm discussing a game I feel is average, because if everyone posted about how awesome the game was...it's not really a discussion at all.

Also bullshit. You're claiming "oh woe is me for having a dissenting opinion" and then trying to cover that up with some philosophical guise about how everyone else is suddenly so wrong.

I've already said the game is fun, however I don't see how everyone believes it to be a solid 10/10 game, which is fine because DQ8 is one of my favorite games of all time and many don't like that either.

Rearing your subjective whims as facts once again, but laying on the condescension a little thicker this time.

"I don't see how anyone believes it to be solid" when you've just gotten through talking nonstop about how EVERYONE'S OPINION IS ALWAYS RIGHT. Make up your mind, but get off your high horse in the meantime.

[quote name='homeland']I'm looking for a new rpg to put in my ds. Chrono trigger is the only rpg i've been able to play all the way through. Any suggestions on similiar rpgs? I have ffIV but stuck and will probably give up on..What about the ones coming out next month and March? any of them similiar to Chrono trigger?[/QUOTE]

There are only 3 RGPs that I've played to completion, but I'm not sure if any of them would qualify as true RPGs, and the only one that might most likely involves treachery on your part in order to play it. Paper Mario, Paper Mario the Thousand Year Door and Mother 3 (fan translation). All 3 are awesome games. The latter one can be played on a DS if you have one of those unmentionable pieces of hardware. Well, actually you need a couple pieces of unmentionable hardware, I believe, and I do, and that's how I played it, and that's the ideal way to play it. I'm not actually a proponent of that hardware any more, indeed have substantial regrets... with the exception of using it for Mother 3, seeing how it will never be translated officially into English. For that, it's great and lets you play it like it was meant to be played - on a portable.

Other then that, nothing. I tried to play Final Fantasy X and when my copy proved to have a fatal scratch at about the 5-6 hour mark it was a relief. I could stop feeling like I had to play it in order to make it worth the expense and thus saved myself countless wasted (and bored to tears) hours. I'm trying to decide if I should risk anything on Chrono Trigger. At $20 I'd buy it for sure. At $25 maybe. At $30, probably not. I need to find a cheap used copy, I guess.

Finally beat it, and went on to the last of the additional content.

(Major spoilers)

That is to say, the new optional boss and new ending. I absolutely love how they added in the Dream Devourer to tie the game to Chrono Cross more. For those who haven't looked into it or your memory of CC is hazy, when Schala gets sucked into that vortex in the Ocean Palace, she got sent somewhere outside of time altogether. After the party defeats Lavos, what's left of him ends up there, as well, and merges with Schala, giving them Lavos' evolutionary destructive power and Schala's magical abilities. They/it become the final, real boss (the Time Devourer) of CC, and if fought properly you can free Schala at the end of the game.

It seems the Dream Devourer is a weaker version of the Time Devourer at the end of CC, and the new ending seems to provide difinitive proof that Guile actually is Magus (despite developers saying otherwise years ago) since he gets warped somewhere else and seems to forget who he is. Since this ending links to CC in just about every other way, I don't see how this couldn't be the implication. Between that and Lucca finding the baby (who grows up to be a rather important character in CC) at the end, it looks like they've laid it all on pretty thick.

I wonder if they'll be planning a remake or port of Chrono Cross now, or if this was just fan service for those who have waited patiently for more answers?

[quote name='crunchewy']There are only 3 RGPs that I've played to completion, but I'm not sure if any of them would qualify as true RPGs, and the only one that might most likely involves treachery on your part in order to play it. Paper Mario, Paper Mario the Thousand Year Door and Mother 3 (fan translation). All 3 are awesome games. The latter one can be played on a DS if you have one of those unmentionable pieces of hardware. Well, actually you need a couple pieces of unmentionable hardware, I believe, and I do, and that's how I played it, and that's the ideal way to play it. I'm not actually a proponent of that hardware any more, indeed have substantial regrets... with the exception of using it for Mother 3, seeing how it will never be translated officially into English. For that, it's great and lets you play it like it was meant to be played - on a portable.

Other then that, nothing. I tried to play Final Fantasy X and when my copy proved to have a fatal scratch at about the 5-6 hour mark it was a relief. I could stop feeling like I had to play it in order to make it worth the expense and thus saved myself countless wasted (and bored to tears) hours. I'm trying to decide if I should risk anything on Chrono Trigger. At $20 I'd buy it for sure. At $25 maybe. At $30, probably not. I need to find a cheap used copy, I guess.[/quote]

Seems we are very alike when it comes to rpgs. I've tried FFIV (20 hours in), FF7 (got to disk 3), FF9,FF10, and many others and always just got tired of it, or got to a point where I was underleveled and didn't want to grind. I would highly suggest you get Chrono Trigger. Its the first Rpg that i've played that never felt like a chore to play. Everyone talks about how great mother 3 is.. I want to play it, but I can only play Earthbound on the DS...So I think I'm going to give that the next go.

Finished the game last night.

I will say that the side quest stuff at the end put the game from average to quite good for me.

Typical of the square formula to offer a pretty basic and linear "newb" friendly main game with more involved side quest bits.

Lavos was highly annoying, so I used a guide to beat him.

Just got this game at Best Buy.

Chrono Cross is my FFVII. It got me to play RPGs with no prior experience (like FFVII did for everyone else). They both had an SNES predecessor that are the most beloved games in it's genre. Both games are receiving a lot backlash these days. It has a special place in my heart just the same.

I'm looking forward to the retroactive nonsense from CC they graft onto this port. It'll be icing on the cake.

Was anyone else not able to save Lucca's mother? I know the code and all that but after many failures and restarts I had to chalk it up to an error in the game.

Did you talk to the left side of the machine that you are near, and then the words enter the code, then hit a then enter the code? You can tell you are actually entering the code correctly and at all because your ds will make the "you've used a healing item" noise.

am i the only uber nerd that, when i was young, i had a save file right at the moment that you
go up to doom peak and bring crono back, and watch the scene where marle and crono kiss

OK! I've said it! fuck after all these years, i'll admit, i'm a super geek.

Yeah Gden, it would ask me if I knew the code. Then I would enter it L,A,R,A then nothing would happen and I could try again but it always ended in failure.

[quote name='soonersfan60']Thanks for the info. Doesn't look too bad, but I guess the drop off means it has no legs. I wonder what their expectations were...[/quote]it compares favorably to ffiv sales--about 2:1 through the first several weeks. less work, more sales, they have to be happy about that.

Sorry for the newb question but I'm about an hour into the game and I can't save? Do I have to find a save point? Is it still too early in the game for me to save?

[quote name='soonersfan60']Thanks for the info. Doesn't look too bad, but I guess the drop off means it has no legs. I wonder what their expectations were...[/QUOTE]

I had trouble with this too, and I suspect they really made a goof on their part with the way they coded this.
In order to enter the code correctly, you must exit out of the window that says "Enter password." Once you've done that, the game will ding with each successful letter.
I know I spent at least 20 minutes trying to get it to work myself before finally figuring it out.

[quote name='ivanctorres']Sorry for the newb question but I'm about an hour into the game and I can't save? Do I have to find a save point? Is it still too early in the game for me to save?[/QUOTE]

You can only save on the world map, or at specific save points.

So this game was like the poster child for even difficulty progression... until the endgame. Haven't had to grind, and have only died at most once at each boss (usually doing something stupid that I didn't do the second time), and then I get to the last boss (well, what I think is the second-to-last form of the last boss). His first attack hits my party for 1000+ HP when I max out under 800. What the hell is that?

[quote name='homeland']Did you do the sidequests? doing that should give you the right items for the endboss.[/quote]
Nope, figured I wouldn't need to, and wasn't planning on doing so this time.

I will expound on this in more detail later, but I wanted to mention another reason why this game is so awesome: Ozzie Pants.

Really, Ozzie in general is one of the greatest characters in all of RPGdom. He's like a reverse Kefka - completely full of himself, loves to order others around, but is 100% incompetent. At the same time, he's hilarious to watch faff about, with hysterical dialogue in the midst of all the crazy antics that befall him.

I mean,
the kitten
pwns his ass twice. I crack up EVERY. TIME.

Just another reason why this game kicks 99% of the genre in the balls and makes them all cry.

Hey guys, I know this has probably been covered somewhere in this massive thread, but I wanted some sage-like advice because I'm a chrono trigger virgin and didn't want to read any spoilers. Reply in post or pm would be sweet.

Should I do the time-based action option or the more pure turn-based, more strategy choice? I've been using the time based attack and wanted to get some advice as to whether I was doing it wrong.

[quote name='rothgar24']Hey guys, I know this has probably been covered somewhere in this massive thread, but I wanted some sage-like advice because I'm a chrono trigger virgin and didn't want to read any spoilers. Reply in post or pm would be sweet.

Should I do the time-based action option or the more pure turn-based, more strategy choice? I've been using the time based attack and wanted to get some advice as to whether I was doing it wrong.[/quote]

I can't imagine playing CT in the pure turn based format.

bread's done
Back