Chrono Trigger or World Ends with You?

doc_zaius

CAGiversary!
I'm going on a longish trip and I figure to get in some great DS RPG time but I can't decide which to play?

Chrono Trigger or World Ends with You?

Retro or Modern?

which would you pick?

I have both so itll be hard to say.

I mean Chrono Trigger for the DS is pretty much the Playstation version with some added bonuses and also don't forget, none of the long ass load times you had to deal with on Playstation. I mean if you loved Chrono Trigger on SNES, then there should be no reason you shouldn't get it.

TWEWY is definitely a fun game as well if you are into the Anime heavy style RPGs. It relies very heavily on JPop music and the gameplay is fun and creative and utilizes the stylus very well. And you can get a good amount of gameplay out of it as well. I mean if you wanted to try something new, then TWEWY is your game, otherwise, nothing wrong with Chrono Trigger.

Just how I feel. But they are both great games. Why not play both :D!

I think in addition to Retro vs. Modern, you should ask yourself, "Frenetic or laid back?"

You should have made a poll for this topic.

+1 for Chrono Trigger

I like The World Ends with You but one play through is enough. CT on the other hand I've beaten 10+ times and it never gets old. And one vote for CT

I'm opting for both. I had CT from GS used, complete ($17.99 - 30% coupon/edge at the time), and am going to be getting TWEWY from amazon for $8 new. How could I refuse? I'll probably play CT first. Everybody says that game is fantastic....

Both are honestly great games, but if you played CT in the past- it is the same game.

TWEWY is much more unique in my opinion. I do not know if I would say it is a better game, but it is more of an engaging one if you never played either.

I bought a copy of Chrono Trigger as a gift for my friend. He then went out and bought a new DS, just so he could play it. (I lent him my DS for the time being, but he decided there were enough RPGs on the DS to warrant a purchase)

I'd say Chrono Trigger. I've only played four to five hours of it, but what I have played has been surprisingly varied and interesting. It may be a touch old-school, but it is the very best of old-school that you will probably ever find. Also, the current $20 standard price is quite nice. (and I understand it can be found on sale for even less)

Glad I have both. Haven't cracked open CT yet. On day 2 of the second week in TWEWY. I'm enjoying the battle system so far but it would be nice to skip some of the dialogue if I happen to die in a battle. Fortunately, it hasn't happened too often.

It's still somewhat surprising to me how incredibly cheap both of these games have become. I paid 30 bucks for each and loved them both.

Nostalgia vote for Chrono Trigger. Get both if you have the money, though. They've gotten quite cheap in the last few months.

CT is the headliner of the $20 bin at the Henderson Walmart, so if you can't find it, let me know.

[quote name='chakan']I think in addition to Retro vs. Modern, you should ask yourself, "Frenetic or laid back?"

You should have made a poll for this topic.

+1 for Chrono Trigger[/QUOTE]

I think the frenetic vs laid back issue is important. I've beaten TWEWY and I just went on a trip and sunk in about 20 hours on CT. I think both are great, but I think its personal preference and if you have played a version of CT in the past. If you have TWEWY all the way, if not then its just your style of gaming.

Both of these games are great, so you should try to get both at some point. For a road trip I would probably go with Chrono Trigger, but you can't go wrong with either one.

TWEWY

I recently played CT on DS and I didn't think it was that good. I remember it being awesome, but playing it again now, it wasn't really that awesome. The new DS version has these new animation sequences that are pretty to look at, but somehow, I really didn't enjoy them. They put them in whenever there is some kind of action going on, something explodes maybe, a dramatic scene, etc... but they didn't really work for me, they didn't improve the game in my humble opinion.

Instead, they were a loud reminder that old JRPGs had bad/simple/predictable plots, and that they only worked so were before because so many details were left out, no extra words and dialogue, and no epic cut scenes, just humble pixelated characters filled with subtlety.

Remade CT with brighter graphics and longer cut scenes just makes it seem more mediocre. Old JRPGs are like Monets, the more that is left out, unsaid, blurred and left to the imagination, the better.

I just started playing Chrono Trigger a few days ago (DS version) and am definitely liking it. For me this game is a lot more fun then newer RPGs I've tried (which aren't many, but, for example, the incredibly boring Final Fantasy X.) I don't know yet if it's up their with Mother 3, which was fantastic, but I'm definitely enjoying it a lot. Also I have to say that I'm liking it a lot more so far then The World Ends With You, though I haven't gotten far in that one yet, so won't pass judgement on it yet.

[quote name='crunchewy']I just started playing Chrono Trigger a few days ago (DS version) and am definitely liking it. For me this game is a lot more fun then newer RPGs I've tried (which aren't many, but, for example, the incredibly boring Final Fantasy X.) I don't know yet if it's up their with Mother 3, which was fantastic, but I'm definitely enjoying it a lot. Also I have to say that I'm liking it a lot more so far then The World Ends With You, though I haven't gotten far in that one yet, so won't pass judgement on it yet.[/QUOTE]

What day are you on in TWEWY, because if you already passed the 4th day on the first chapter and you still don't like it, you probably won't if you keep going :p.

They're both good games IMO.

Chrono Trigger has a better-paced, better constructed plot than TWEWY, and much more gameplay variety. TWEWY is a more unique game experience, however, and can get rather challenging, whereas CT never really gets too frustrating (unless you hit a particularly difficult boss without the right equipment/spell combinations). I found myself enjoying the plot immensely in CT (it's well-written), but in TWEWY, the dialogue seems to go on forever... it suffers from what I call "Super Paper Mario Syndrome" (SPSM) ... endless, idiotic text dialogue portions that are three times longer than they need to be.

For a complicated, fast-paced, unique RPG, TWEWY is the way to go. But CT is deceptively simpler. It has much more going on (not just endless battles punctuated by dialogue). I wasn't impressed with CT until about the 20 hour mark, when I realized just how beautifully-constructed and non-linear the game experience can be, and how each play-through can be very different from the one preceding.

TWEWY--- There are many incarnations to CT, but TWEWY is an example of a new and innovative approach to RPGs. While CT is a better game IMO, the ds version is a lazy port. TWEWY is built from the ground-up.

bread's done
Back