Chrono Trigger w/Poster = legitimate?

Kerig

Target won BF'23 w/$350 consoles
Feedback
85 (100%)
A sealed copy of Chrono Trigger with the "Poster Inside" sticker showing on the outside. Coming from eBay via a U.S. seller, what are the chances that it's a bootleg copy? I've never seen a bootleg with the poster.

04e2_1.JPG

Link to auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Chrono-Trigger-...yZ139973QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Looks like he relisted 3 more:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120391663485&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_RCRX_Pr4_PcY_BIN_IT&refitem=120391430337&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&usedrule1=CrossSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget&_trksid=p284.m183&_trkparms=algo%3DCRX%26its%3DS%252BI%26itu%3DUCI%252BSI%26otn%3D4

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd guess it's legitimate. It's not coming from Hong Kong and he didn't use a stock photo.

The only questionable thing is he recently sold a lot of 5 of these for $100 (according to recent feedback). Why would he have so many new copies?

[quote name='Josef']Why would he have so many new copies?[/quote]

I'm hoping he stole a case of them off of a truck somewhere :), as long as "somewhere" wasn't a special secret place in Hong Kong where they include the poster in their bootleg copies...

[quote name='Squarehard']Not sure if you want to fully trust this seller, at least for that price. Maybe if it was $20 ^___^[/quote]

The cheaper it goes, the less I'll be likely to trust. Hong Kong bootleg prices are almost always $12.99-$17.99.

He seems to ship quickly (or he has shills leaving feedback for him), I'll post an update when it gets here.

Pete & Saunder: Re: not sealed: The "POSTER INSIDE" sticker is on the outside of the shrinkwrap...

Last edited by a moderator:
Every copy in Best Buy when it came out had the poster and that sticker, so it's probably legit. In fact, the used copy I got at Gamestop had the poster left inside.

UPDATE:

I received my game in the mail today. It's 100% authentic.

My 10-point checklist in order of viewable order: (useful for any questionable game)

1. Shrinkwrap is the impossible-to-replicate-by-hand fold-over style.*
1a. Sticker of "poster inside" on the outside of the shrinkwrap.^
2. Opens with new-game smell (the bigger the booklet, the stronger the smell).
3. 43-page full-color instruction booklet.*
3a. Poster^.
4. Health & Safety Precautions booklet.
5. Registration Card*.
6. Nintendo & DS logo inside case*.
7. Cartridge sticker and insert are clear and sharp.
8. Cartridge is the exact dimensions and color as other carts.
9. Cartridge has game-unique code printed on the back.
10. Green chipboard has complex coding (not 001-01).

^: Only applies to Chrono Trigger
*: not all games have this, but when they do, you know it's real.

This game scored 100% in my legitimacy test. There is one final test: to play it and see if it saves properly and doesn't freeze at a specific point, but I'm in the middle of Zombie BBQ so that will have to wait...

bread's done
Back