Circuit city Clearancing Toshiba HD-DVD players A3 $100 A30 $149

012608_135600.jpg

Circuit City is not going anywhere.

Toshiba had planned to discontinue the A3 and A35 weeks before Warners announcement. They were only planning on producing the A30 and Gen4 unit.
Venturer or someone else would handle the cheaper versions, Onkyo would do the more expensive.

Notice the price of the A30? $149.99.
Notice the price of the A3? $100.04
.04 = Clearance
.99 = NOT Clearance.

They are just moving units and several people have already confirmed Circuit City has more units on the way and are ordering more.

...But $100 is an absolute steal for one of these. I already have one but am considering the A30/A35 since the XA2 is still too expensive.

sweet. but imma wait til the a30 is sub 100 (which shouldn't be long since the format is most likely going to be dead). i need a upconvert player for my living room.

I would very much consider buying one at $100, but the new releases for HD DVD lately seem very bare.

Edit- Anyone else find it odd that Toshiba would clearance these before they even show the 4th gen units? They were nowhere to be found during CES. Both the A3 and A30 are still listed as active in Best Buy's system. Is this clearance coming from Circuit City themselves and they are going only blu?

the even more ridiculous part...they are actually $149.99CAD in CANADA the land of over priced consumer electronics. Go figure.

EDIT: scratch that, it's the A3 thats 149.99

[quote name='decon']I'm waiting for the HD-A35 to hit $100.[/quote]

I think once the HD-A35 falls below the $200 mark, any inventory remaining will probably sell out. I'm hoping that the price will hit $150, but I doubt it. I'll bite if it hits $199.

[quote name='djgcue']I think once the HD-A35 falls below the $200 mark, any inventory remaining will probably sell out. I'm hoping that the price will hit $150, but I doubt it. I'll bite if it hits $199.[/quote]

If it hits $150 I'll probably get it. Why is the A35 so much more than the A30? Only thing I can tell is the audio output is better and the 1080p looks better.

The dude on the HDD forum said it was just a pricing error on CC's part. That thread is now closed, and this one is sure to follow

i think this is a circuit city thing, when we printed the tags our for these players they read "clearence" which surprised me. We've got a ton of A30s left and a few A3s as well. pretty good deal.

Even if Circuit City as a whole decides this was a pricing "mistake," if your local stores are like mine at all, they'll leave the "misprinted tag" up for at least 3 weeks.

[quote name='honzoh']So if I bought mine at BB last week what are the odds of a price match?:)[/QUOTE]

I am going to go Tuesday and see if they are doing the same here. If they truly are 100 bucks over at the CC near me, best believe I am going to get a price match (plus I am going to see if they will apply the coupon discount to the new price point since I used the 20 percent off coupon).

Kind of pissed I bought my player the day before this shit broke because I definately would have preferred getting the A30.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I am going to go Tuesday and see if they are doing the same here. If they truly are 100 bucks over at the CC near me, best believe I am going to get a price match (plus I am going to see if they will apply the coupon discount to the new price point since I used the 20 percent off coupon).

Kind of pissed I bought my player the day before this shit broke because I definately would have preferred getting the A30.[/QUOTE]

You can not price match and use a coupon. Also you might not get a price match on a clearance item (you will have to get a copy of the tag since cc.com still shows full price). The BB I work at does not allow it.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I am going to go Tuesday and see if they are doing the same here. If they truly are 100 bucks over at the CC near me, best believe I am going to get a price match (plus I am going to see if they will apply the coupon discount to the new price point since I used the 20 percent off coupon).

Kind of pissed I bought my player the day before this shit broke because I definately would have preferred getting the A30.[/quote]

I can tell you that they were 100 at the CC on Glenwood/Creedmoor today...who knows for how long.

I actually bought one at the new store up Capital and they were full price there. I found out (via SlickDeals) that the store on Glenwood had them at the discounted price. So I swung by their and they credited the difference to my card.

Good luck!

No idea what BB will do but at CC they would not let me use the $15 off $100 coupon that I had with the $100 clearance price.

What's the big difference between the A3, the A30, and the A35?
I really haven't been following this whole thing since I already have a 360 HDDVD drive.

If you could point me in the right direction, I'd gladly appreciate it.

Also, with the A30, do the movies come in the box, or do you have to grab them off of the shelf?

Much obliged, ahead of time.

[quote name='Jiggadabaptist']What's the big difference between the A3, the A30, and the A35?
I really haven't been following this whole thing since I already have a 360 HDDVD drive.

If you could point me in the right direction, I'd gladly appreciate it.

Also, with the A30, do the movies come in the box, or do you have to grab them off of the shelf?

Much obliged, ahead of time.[/QUOTE]

A3 = Base /1080i
A30 = Has more features /1080p
A35 = Better upconverter with analog putputs /1080p

Get the A30 if you can. I'll be waiting on the A35.

[quote name='GizmoGC']A3 = Base /1080i
A30 = Has more features /1080p
A35 = Better upconverter with analog putputs /1080p

Get the A30 if you can. I'll be waiting on the A35.[/quote]

The A3 also has analog (composite video/audio) outputs but no svideo.

I've compared both the A3 and A30, other than 1080i versus 1080p,
there seems to be little difference.

If the TV is 1080p, I see no difference in viewing it because it seems to automatic upconverts too.

I have not seen A35. Perhaps it has better features than both of those.
It is still very pricey (~$299)

Even though HD DVD might be a little shakey ever since the WB announcement, I think this has more to do with Circuit City's shitty and fucked up business than it does with HD DVD. For those who didn't know, it's known that Circuit City's overhead has cost them a ton, so much in fact that they might go bankrupt this year. They simply can't hold onto hardware and software stock that isn't moving all that much ever since the Warner announcement.

[quote name='cagfansub']The A3 also has analog (composite video/audio) outputs but no svideo.

I've compared both the A3 and A30, other than 1080i versus 1080p,
there seems to be little difference.

If the TV is 1080p, I see no difference in viewing it because it seems to automatic upconverts too.

I have not seen A35. Perhaps it has better features than both of those.
It is still very pricey (~$299)[/quote]

True for the most part... The HDTV has to deinterlace a 1080i signal properly to get the 1080p image. Not all TVs do this but the newer ones have more of a tendency to do this. The difference between 1080i and 1080p for HDM isn't that much, at least affordable wise you won't notice that big of a difference.

Damn, the A3 is 1080i only? Ah well I'll wait for the A30 to go sub-100, or the A35 to drop.

what about free movies...do they all come with 7 (2 free instantly plus 5 by mail)?

Looks like the deal is already over at some CCs as this was a price mistake. So much for clearing them out.

Amazon still has the same prices, free shipping, and maybe no tax depending where you live.

I just checked the price for the A3 and it was $149.99. I didn't check the price for the A30 (I should of, but didn't feel like carrying two boxes around looking for a CS).

Anyone know the price of the A30?

[quote name='thebob101']I just checked the price for the A3 and it was $149.99. I didn't check the price for the A30 (I should of, but didn't feel like carrying two boxes around looking for a CS).

Anyone know the price of the A30?[/QUOTE]

Went this morning to check. $199 unfortunately. I was hoping for $149. No tag left either. This was at the Sunnyvale, CA store. One A30, no A3's and no A35s that I saw. I should have jumped on this over the weekend but there should be more markdowns. I'm hoping for the A35 to drop to sub-$150. If not, oh well.

[quote name='thebob101']I wonder if I should grab the A3 I had price checked. Any thoughts folks?[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't bother unless you're nearby. There has been enough reports that the pricing is back to A3/$149 and A30/$199. I think the only way to get the "clearance" pricing now is if your CC didn't pull the tags off the shelf. Personally, I'd wait for another drop.

[quote name='bob330i']I wouldn't bother unless you're nearby. There has been enough reports that the pricing is back to A3/$149 and A30/$199. I think the only way to get the "clearance" pricing now is if your CC didn't pull the tags off the shelf. Personally, I'd wait for another drop.[/quote]

Cool, sounds like good advice.

So this whole ordeal was a mess up on pricing at CC?

No wonder they are borderline about to go out of business! sheeesh!

I did hear an HD DVD / CC ad on the radio last night, but it priced the A3 at 149 if I recall which still isn't a bad deal. I thought my A2 buy at Amazon was good ($230 taxed & shipped = A2 + 5 mail ins + 3 freebies at time of purchase)

Yeah Amazon has some good sales too.

So much for HD DVD's dead. Hahahah LMFAO they'll never go out without some blood shed on blu ray.

dude, I was at circuit city last night. I was asked if I need any help as I was viewing HD DVDs. I asked if they had any sales currently going on and he replied no, they are not on sale and I shouldnt bother cause they are phasing them out. So I was like, "your trying to get rid of them but they are not on sale?" and hes all dumbfounded. anyway these are the people that are single handedly hurting Toshiba and the format BIG TIME. I his ass could get sued hard.

[quote name='KAR10']I bought the A3 and it doesn't even play Mp3?:headache:[/QUOTE]

Err, I don't think any Blu-ray/HD DVD players plays MP3s except for the PS3 and 360. Seems odd, I never even though about it.

[quote name='zackL04']dude, I was at circuit city last night. I was asked if I need any help as I was viewing HD DVDs. I asked if they had any sales currently going on and he replied no, they are not on sale and I shouldnt bother cause they are phasing them out. So I was like, "your trying to get rid of them but they are not on sale?" and hes all dumbfounded. anyway these are the people that are single handedly hurting Toshiba and the format BIG TIME. I his ass could get sued hard.[/QUOTE]

You must not be friends with grammer or spelling.

[quote name='Jiggadabaptist']It still amazes me that people offer corrections on grammAr, but somehow spell it wrong...[/QUOTE]
"I was being ironic" is my defense for all my screw-ups.

Irony: is there nothing it can't excuse?

[quote name='SlaughterX']A3s are $100 again, and the A30 dropped to $130.[/quote]
Fire sale on a dead format? No thanks...

bread's done
Back