Circuit City closing 19 stores

pistonfan

CAGiversary!
I hope this is not a repeat, didn't find it in search.

2/16/05 - Circuit City is closing 19 of its worst underperforming stores only a day after a firm made a bid to buy them out. Here is a link to an article about this and a list of the 19 stores. Looks like some may have to drive further to get those CC clearance games.

Circuit City Announces 19 Superstore Closings

Is there another one in/near Columbus? I might be going to OSU for college so it might suck ass if there isn't a CC nearby.

CC website lists this store. Looks like they've already removed the "Westland" store from the locator list.

Easton Store #3615
4056 Morse Road
Columbus, OH 43230
(614) 471-7025

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I might be going to OSU for college so it might suck ass if there isn't a CC nearby.[/quote]

It's ok. A lot of kids experiment in college. :)

Shit...one of those shares a shopping center with a Comic City....then again, if it was sucking that bad it might not matter....now if they'll have a going out of buisness sale i'll be all set.

Wow. My local CC is closing (Lufkin, TX). That kind of sucks .. the next closest one is about an hour and a half away.

This particular store is usually full of stock in items, but no people shopping there. Seemed like they had way too many employees, too. I did a few purchases there .. mostly price matches and stuff. For example, Seinfeld DVDs for 17.99 each! Booya! And I think I got Metroid Prime 2 there for like 30 bucks at launch. I'd like to think, in some small, miniscule manner, I contributed to this store's demise. :D

Looks like I'm gonna go on a shopping spree before they close it. Sweet. Any mention of a date?

Store Closing List

Store Name Address City, State

Bloomington 2520 East 3rd St. Bloomington, Ind.
West 38th Street 3670 Moller Road Indianapolis, Ind.
Evergreen Plaza 9600 S Western Ave. Evergreen Park, Ill.
Randhurst 999 North Elmhurst Road Mount Prospect, Ill.
Old Orchard 4831 Golf Road Skokie, Ill.
Wichita East 8405 E. Kellogg Drive Wichita, Kan.
Pontiac 550 N. Telegraph Road Detroit, Mich.
Lansing East 2655 E Grand River Ave. East Lansing, Mich.
Southfield 28556 Telegraph Road Southfield, Mich.
Traverse City 3123 South Airport Road Traverse City, Mich.
Westland 4030 West Broad St. Columbus, Ohio
Olmsted 27250 Lorain Road North Olmsted, Ohio
North Randall 21639 Miles Road North Randall, Ohio
Parmatown 8009 Day Drive Parma, Ohio
Jackson 1938 Emporium Drive Jackson, Tenn.
Katy Freeway 1045 Katy Freeway Houston, Texas
Lufkin 4600 S Medford Drive Lufkin, Texas
Lynchburg 3700 Candlers Mountain Road Lynchburg, Va.
Northridge 8173 West Brown Deer Road Milwaukee, Wis.

F*ck! they're closing the Skokie, Ill CC. That's where I could always find the games I wanted, like FFXI for $37. This sucks, for me.

[quote name='the_gloaming']I'd like to think, in some small, miniscule manner, I contributed to this store's demise. :D[/quote]

Getting rid of stores that semi-regularly clearance great games for $5 new is something to be proud out? :puke:

Thanks polaricecaves for listing the stores. I should've done that the first time.

Looks like I'm gonna go on a shopping spree before they close it. Sweet. Any mention of a date?

I asked about this in my local Best Buy when I was in there today. They said that most new, good selling stock will be shifted to other stores. However, the 19 closing will begin to liquidate as early as this weekend and close within a couple of weeks. Not 100% sure as it did come from a BB employee.

Damn. They just had to close the one CC near me at school and the closest one to me at home. Well, now its time to start wishing for these stores to sell out their stock rather then move it elsewhere.

damn, there's not really any way of finding out exactly what type of closing sale this will be, since the stores are closed today and tomorrow and the sale starts friday (i just called and they had a message set up explaining the closing, mentioning no specifics outside of the fact that it would run from this friday to next, at which point they'll assumably be done)

[quote name='pistonfan']Is there another one in/near Columbus? I might be going to OSU for college so it might suck ass if there isn't a CC nearby.

CC website lists this store. Looks like they've already removed the "Westland" store from the locator list.

Easton Store #3615
4056 Morse Road
Columbus, OH 43230
(614) 471-7025[/quote]

There are also CC stores on Sawmill Rd and at Polaris right by the mall.

[quote name='pistonfan']Is there another one in/near Columbus? I might be going to OSU for college so it might suck ass if there isn't a CC nearby.

Easton Store #3615
4056 Morse Road
Columbus, OH 43230
(614) 471-7025[/quote]

Eh, the "Wasteland" one isn't on the list, which is fine by me, cuz I like going there. The Novi one isn't closing either, so I'll still have plenty of options this Summer. The East Lansing one really matters not, since there's one in West Lansing that you can go to, my guess is they'll just ship all their stock over to the other store.

One of those is about 1.5 hours away from me. Anyone think it might be worth it to head out?

I hate Houston traffic.

The one nearest to me closing (Milwaukee - Brown Deer Rd.) is kinda funny because I would have swear they already closed it.

Kinda unfortunate because that area of Milwaukee has really taken some lumps lately.

Milwaukee is very segregated and Brown Deer has become a black middle-class neighborhood . . . so whites have stopped shopping there.

Sucks.

Phew! I saw a few Illinois locations on that list, and I saw Bloomington, IN on there, and I freaked! I am in Bloomington, IL. Glad to see mine is staying open...

There is 5 Circuit Cities in the Tampa Area with at least 2 or 3 in the St. Pete Area (thats 8 + stores in a 30 miles radius and none of them are on the list.

[quote name='schultzed']The one nearest to me closing (Milwaukee - Brown Deer Rd.) is kinda funny because I would have swear they already closed it.

Kinda unfortunate because that area of Milwaukee has really taken some lumps lately.

Milwaukee is very segregated and Brown Deer has become a black middle-class neighborhood . . . so whites have stopped shopping there.

Sucks.[/quote]That location was great for the clearances because they would never change the price tags, so people just browsing through the store would have no idea that the game they were looking at which was tagged $50 was actually $5.

Hopefully the closing sale, if there is one, will be decent.

[quote name='Deadpool']Damn Las Vegas has like 4 CC's here. I was hoping for a going out of buisness sale.[/quote]

I wasn't. I mean are you nuts? Why would somebody want stores to close.? I mean the more stores the more chance of finding items. A lot of the Vegas stores were great for Clearance items. I was so relieved when I didn't see any of our stores.

The Columbus closing is kind of funny, considering they just opened up a new location (the Polaris one mentioned above) not 3 months ago. I guess location is everything......

[quote name='MaxBiaggi3']
Getting rid of stores that semi-regularly clearance great games for $5 new is something to be proud out?
[/quote]

It makes me feel powerful, so yes.

But seriously, the store isn't that great. I don't go there THAT often, because it's so far away. The store itself is pretty small (I don't know WHY they called it a superstore) and kind of trashy. They always have large quantities .. just bad selection.

Oh, and those $5 sales don't apply at this store, because they never have good selections there to begin with.

Also .. someone mentioned the Houston store. This is also a really crappy one, my friend lives near it. It sounds like it is not worth making the trip unless you know for sure you're getting something (rather than browsing, then buying).

Olmsted 27250 Lorain Road North Olmsted, Ohio
Parmatown 8009 Day Drive Parma, Ohio

Dahhahahah??? Not the Parma one, I thought they were doing well (oh well, I'll go to Brooklyn or Akron). I don't remember where the N. Olmstead one was though, didn't that close already? I'm spending too much time in Akron, some Ohioian help me out here.

[quote name='Daddy_Mulk']The Columbus closing is kind of funny, considering they just opened up a new location (the Polaris one mentioned above) not 3 months ago. I guess location is everything......[/quote]

Yea, that happened by where I live (Cleveland). They have a store in Parma, but they just added a store in Ridge Park Square, and now the one in Parma is closing.

[quote name='Strell']One of those is about 1.5 hours away from me. Anyone think it might be worth it to head out?

I hate Houston traffic.[/quote]

Houston Traffic isn't a problem, its more like an adventure.

Northridge store in Wisconsin, you will be missed, even though getting a deal there was impossible because everything in the VG area was out of whack

[quote name='mario23air']F*ck! they're closing the Skokie, Ill CC. That's where I could always find the games I wanted, like FFXI for $37. This sucks, for me.[/quote]
I live 5 minutes away from the same one. I hope they'll at least have a closing sale.

[quote name='rdreynolds']I'm actually shocked that one on 38th St. in Indy hadn't closed sooner. That place is a dump.

R~[/quote]

At least they had Taiko when I went to look for it yesterday.

I think I have it worse than any of you. The two nearest me (Pontiac and Southfield) are gone, and the one nearest my condo up north (Traverse City) is gone as well. CC really must not like me. :cry: :cry: :cry:

All I can say is that they better have some darn good clearance sales. :twisted:

The two nearest me (Pontiac and Southfield) are gone

I also live in SE MI and those are the two CC nearest to me. They don't have quite as many older games, but there is always the newest CC located in the Great Lakes Crossing Mall.

That sucks... they are closing the Circuit City that I go to. It's a pretty good drive there. About 10 miles. The next closest one is 35 miles from my house. I guess I will be giving more money to Best Buy... they are 2 and 9 miles from my house. Why Circuit City is not located closer is beyond me.

bread's done
Back