Circuit City Has WaveBirds For GC - $24.99 YMMV

clortho

CAGiversary!
When I went to get the Wii Zapper the other day, I couldn't help but notice they had two WaveBirds brand new for $24.99 plus tax. I don't know if this is a steal or not since I don't usually shop at CC and I haven't bought GameCube accessories in a LONG time, but it looks like used ones are going for $60+ on eBay.

All YMMV, of course. Like I said I don't shop at CC often enough to notice.. but I guess it's possible they keep stuff like this stocked. I'm thinking of picking one up for Brawl.

[quote name='daveymark']the wireless platinum ones?[/quote]That's what the WaveBirds are I believe..

There's grey and platinum versions of the Wavebird.

All my CC's haven't had Wavebirds in forever, and they barely have any wired Nintendo controllers.

My CC didn't have any Wavebirds last week, i asked them when i picked up my Wii and they said no. I'll try this weekend when i pick up Brawl. Hopefully they have at least 1. 2 would be awsome.

[quote name='shrike4242']There's grey and platinum versions of the Wavebird.

All my CC's haven't had Wavebirds in forever, and they barely have any wired Nintendo controllers.[/quote]Ahh, that's right. I forgot.. they looked so similar (to me anyway), I always thought there was the one.. the two I found at Circuit Titty looked to be Platinum.

I'm going back tonight to buy them, I'll have a more precise answer then.

This CC is kind of off in the middle of nowhere. I'm like one of three people that pre-ordered Brawl there.. it's very small, but the staff is out of this world. They had a lot of GC stuff still - the DK bongos, the two WaveBirds, a bunch of wired controllers, memory cards, and a lot of games too. Kind of shocked me since most stores around here (Target, Wal-Mart, and TRU) have dumped almost all of their GC stuff over the past year.

[quote name='eliter1']My CC didn't have any Wavebirds last week, i asked them when i picked up my Wii and they said no. I'll try this weekend when i pick up Brawl. Hopefully they have at least 1. 2 would be awsome.[/quote]They've been out of production for 2-3 years. Why don't you ask for a sealed Final Fantasy VII while you're at it?

[quote name='cranguy']They've been out of production for 2-3 years. Why don't you ask for a sealed Final Fantasy VII while you're at it?[/quote]See, that's news to me. Again, I haven't bought new GameCube accessories in a long time.. I guess these have been collecting dust then?

I guess it's not much of a bargain since it seems like this may be the only CC to have them.. my apologies!

[quote name='clortho']Ahh, that's right. I forgot.. they looked so similar (to me anyway), I always thought there was the one.. the two I found at Circuit Titty looked to be Platinum.[/quote]

Well it IS a bargain. I just sold 4 sealed wavebirds on eBay for $90 each. It's just so YMMV that you were extremely lucky and likely no one else will find any.

As for the four that I had, I found one at Gamestop and 3 at Sears ($11.97 ea, hello!) over the course of the past year and saved them for Brawl.

[quote name='clortho']See, that's news to me. Again, I haven't bought new GameCube accessories in a long time.. I guess these have been collecting dust then?

I guess it's not much of a bargain since it seems like this may be the only CC to have them.. my apologies![/quote]

I hope you don't think this is rude, but every time I see a response from you, I imagine your avatar doing the talking. :lol::lol:

[quote name='YoshiFan1']I can't believe Wavebirds are worth that much. I wish I had not opened mine.[/QUOTE]

I kept 2 of mine sealed... but doubt Ill sell them... as I already have 2 opened ones

[quote name='equest943']Can you PLEASE tell us which location this is? Thanks.[/quote]

He said he was going to go back and buy them all. Clearly he's not going to say which CC it is, until he buys the controllers.

Good thing I got a set of 4 of these things.. 2 platinum & 2 gray. Damn they're expensive on eBay and there isn't a Circuit City within 150 miles of here.

I was lucky enough to find someone Craigslist selling a brand new Gamecube with TWO brand new Wavebirds for $40 total. I'd totally suggest CL to anybody that's desperately looking for one that can't find any in stores anymore.

Wow. I can't believe these are so rare/expensive now.

I remember buying my new wavebird the day they came out $34.99 retail. I still have that same wavebird, but I let my brother borrow it and he wore it out bad. I was assuming/hoping I could get a new one at a reasonable price when Brawl comes out...

This is crazy.

I've sold over 20 of these myself on ebay and I have never had any go that high. I had one sell for almost 70, but usually they sell for around 40-45. Not sure where he's selling these at...

[quote name='cranguy']They've been out of production for 2-3 years. Why don't you ask for a sealed Final Fantasy VII while you're at it?[/quote]

That is not true. They have been out of production for about a year.

And FF7 came out over a decade again so... yeah... stupid example....

[quote name='cranguy']Well it IS a bargain. I just sold 4 sealed wavebirds on eBay for $90 each. It's just so YMMV that you were extremely lucky and likely no one else will find any.

As for the four that I had, I found one at Gamestop and 3 at Sears ($11.97 ea, hello!) over the course of the past year and saved them for Brawl.[/QUOTE]

1. I don't know why the hell anyone would pay that much for a wavebird, but for the sake of point 2 I'll believe you.
2. Thanks for bragging about your ability to exploit the system for cash to a bunch of people looking for the product you exploited.

1. I don't know why the hell anyone would pay that much for a wavebird, but for the sake of point 2 I'll believe you.
Why does anyone pay high prices for any rare item? Because they want it, a lot of other people want it, and there aren't enough to go around. As far as the WaveBird goes, people want wireless controllers that they feel will go perfectly with certain Wii games. In particular, SSBB.

2. Thanks for bragging about your ability to exploit the system for cash to a bunch of people looking for the product you exploited.
How is he bragging? Everytime someone mentions an eBay price, chances are, someone on this forum will get annoyed. I simply don't get it. He gave the TC an indication of how great a deal $25 a piece for these controllers would be.

[quote name='wolfpackgamer']2. Thanks for bragging about your ability to exploit the system for cash to a bunch of people looking for the product you exploited.[/quote]

[quote name='cranguy']Well it IS a bargain. I just sold 4 sealed wavebirds on eBay for $90 each. The current market value for a new wavebird is $90.[/quote]

There, I fixed it. Are your delicate CAG sensibilities now not offended?

Awesome deal but I very much doubt they'd have them anywhere in the Cleveland area.

I'd like to see the looks people give when they spend so much on a wavebird and consistantly lose Brawl matches due to it cutting out. :D I bought mine new last year and it works fine, but the cut-out is horrible. If I wasn't playing about 12' from the TV across open floor, I'd use wired gamecube controllers.

I've had my first wavebird for about 5 years now, and not once, ever, has it cut out. Sometimes I accidentally hit the dial on the controller causing it to switch channels, but that's my fault, not the Wavebird's.

I've also had to only replace the batteries twice. If only modern wireless controllers were as efficient as the wavebird.

[quote name='davyd']I've had my first wavebird for about 5 years now, and not once, ever, has it cut out. Sometimes I accidentally hit the dial on the controller causing it to switch channels, but that's my fault, not the Wavebird's.

I've also had to only replace the batteries twice. If only modern wireless controllers were as efficient as the wavebird.[/quote]

I gotta agree. The WaveBirds are pretty efficient.

[quote name='davyd']I've had my first wavebird for about 5 years now, and not once, ever, has it cut out. Sometimes I accidentally hit the dial on the controller causing it to switch channels, but that's my fault, not the Wavebird's.

I've also had to only replace the batteries twice. If only modern wireless controllers were as efficient as the wavebird.[/quote]

Agreed. I have heard the "cut out" issue from a lot of people on forums, and mostly in regards to Smash.

I've had mine for many years now, and have yet to see this "problem."

[quote name='Rig']Agreed. I have heard the "cut out" issue from a lot of people on forums, and mostly in regards to Smash.

I've had mine for many years now, and have yet to see this "problem."[/QUOTE]

Sometimes when it's really low on batteries, it cuts, but hell, they take a long time too run out, and I always have rechargeable's on hand.

Damn I wish i could find some Wavebirds. I have 3 right now.

I've got an extra platinum wavebird that I never opened.

If anyone is looking to get a new sealed one for SSBB, PM me.
I'd either trade it for some sealed game that I'd like or sell it for lower than ebay prices.

I found two used for 22$ each at a store but they were so beat up I didn't even want to waste the money on them.

I actually got lucky and found 2 platinums at a CCity around here late last year, myself. I only bought one of them, foolishly... but I wanted a gray and a plat, not 2 plats. I later found a gray in great shape at an EB, and it has worked fine so far.

They REALLY need to put these back into production...

I'd be curious to know what causes cut out. I don't have wireless anything except for my girlfriend's and my own cell phone and the PS3's bluetooth, but it's never on when I'm using Wii/GC. But then again I live on the first floor of a 19 story apartment building across the street from the mall, I'm sure there's tons of stuff going on around me.

Do the third party wireless controllers suck that bad? Saw a bunch of micron or something like that at meijers, they where only 15 bucks each new.

[quote name='deadlykeyboard']On craigslist I found a few people selling used Wavebirds for $25-$30 each. Is this worth it? How much are they at Gamestop/Ebgames?[/quote]

At GS, they are $18, because GS uses the same product ID for ALL wireless GC controllers, WB and 3rd party ones. Unfortunately, you'll have almost no luck finding WaveBirds in store, I think. Places that weren't already picked cleaned by hoarders looking to flip them were more than likely hit by people wanting them for SSBB. If you want to search, check here:

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=900532

Like I said and the product page says, this is for all wireless controllers, so whatever stock shows up is a crap shoot.

And yes, used WBs, assuming they work and are in good condition, are a good deal at $30. They often go for $45 to $50 shipped on eBay

I just checked my local Circuit City (sunnyvale, CA) and they didn't have any in stock. I'm actually desperately looking for these because my release date Wavebird's analog is starting to die on me.

The wavebird is definitely my favorite wireless controller though. The battery life is astounding and beats out any of the current gen's controllers by at least 3x the life. I play smash bros quite competitively and I'm sad to see my wavebird's analog becoming loose. It's now at a point where my character will walk towards the left side of the screen by itself.

I really don't understand why Nintendo doesn't continue to produce these. Now with Brawl and presumably Mario Kart providing the option for using GC controllers and these being the only wirless ones (since I couldn't fathom using wired controllers with the Wii - especially considering it is 15 feet from my couch) you'd think it would be easy money. But that's Nintendo I guess :roll:.

I have 3 Wavebirds but the kids are pretty tough on them so I don't know how much longer they will last. I had 1 die on me last year. I'd love to pick up a 3 more (1 for 4-player and 1-2 more for backups).

[quote name='hmbtnguy']I just checked my local Circuit City (sunnyvale, CA) and they didn't have any in stock. I'm actually desperately looking for these because my release date Wavebird's analog is starting to die on me.

The wavebird is definitely my favorite wireless controller though. The battery life is astounding and beats out any of the current gen's controllers by at least 3x the life. I play smash bros quite competitively and I'm sad to see my wavebird's analog becoming loose. It's now at a point where my character will walk towards the left side of the screen by itself.[/quote]

Are you the one that takes all the good games from that store?

[quote name='io']I really don't understand why Nintendo doesn't continue to produce these. Now with Brawl and presumably Mario Kart providing the option for using GC controllers and these being the only wirless ones (since I couldn't fathom using wired controllers with the Wii - especially considering it is 15 feet from my couch) you'd think it would be easy money. But that's Nintendo I guess :roll:.

I have 3 Wavebirds but the kids are pretty tough on them so I don't know how much longer they will last. I had 1 die on me last year. I'd love to pick up a 3 more (1 for 4-player and 1-2 more for backups).[/quote]

It would seem that developers are running out of ideas on how to properly utilize the Wii-mote. I find it hard to believe that you could play a game such as SSBB with the wii mote only. They know this too thats why they gave us original game cube controller support. My guess is that if developers really complain, they will restart production of the wavebirds and original controllers. But that's a shot in the dark.

bread's done
Back