Circuit City PSP sale glitch (minor)

chrisnsally

CAGiversary!
Feedback
114 (100%)
Just ordered my PSP from Circuit City because of their "Buy a PSP, get any game $19.99 or less free." Added Mercury Meltdown ($14.99) and Bust A Move Deluxe ($7.49) and it still took off $19.99. It takes the $19.99 off the PSP system, not the game.

Not a major deal, but gives you a little more flexibility in which games you might buy with it.

If it takes the discount off of the system, you may be able to return the games and just get the $20 off the PSP. That would be an good deal for some.

I noticed, too, that it will take the $19.99 off, even if you only selected a $7 game. It won't take the $19.99 off if you select a game that's >$19.99.

I added the PSP, Bust-a-move ($7.49) and Wipeout Pure ($19.99). I went to checkout and click on cart. I edited the cart by remving Bust-a-move. The end result.

Wipeout Pure (PSP)
UPC 711719861225
Price
Qty
Package Discount
Total
$19.99
-$12.50

$7.49
Sony PlayStation Portable (PSP)
SON 98507
Price
Qty
Package Discount
Total
$169.99
-$19.99

$150.00
Charges for this order:
Subtotal
Estimated Shipping
Estimated tax
Total
$157.49
$3.99
$9.69
$171.17

That is $32.49 taken off. Wait is the the same deal or worse? It is worse, because you get charged for the game. Is there anyway to exploit this glitch?

Looks like that happens with a lot of the 19.99 and under games (Guilty Gear, Lumines II, among others). Looks like adding ANY PSP game less than 20 causes the site to take 19.99 off the PSP console. Which would be be ok enough with most of the decent games actually costing 19.99. But for whatever reason, most of those 19.99 games cost only 7.49 when combined with a PSP purchase.

So not only are you getting a 19.99 game for 7.49, you're still getting the 19.99 off the PSP. Pretty good deal on a PSP, since there's enough 19.99 software around now to easily merit spending 7.49 on.

Nice find OP. Now, can i pull the trigger on this deal....

Going to talk to my buddy, he had like 20 games and movies for his psp see if he wants to unload some of them for a reasonable price, and then i might jump on this.

This is great.. anyone think in-store pickup would work?

I think I might go with the system and Guilty Gear Judgement.. not much else worthwhile in stock under $20.

Great tip!

PSP for $150 and Lumines II for $7.50. That's a nice deal.

Too bad they don't offer free shipping anymore.

[quote name='torifile']damn it. None of the games are available for instore pickup for me. I don't want to pay for shipping if I don't have to.[/quote]You have to. There's no in-store pickup for games.

BTW - there's a father's day code floating around somewhere for 10% back (in the form of a gift card) for purchases >$150. Not sure if video game hardware qualifies...anybody get a copy of this flyer? The code looks to be universal.

I printed out my cart with the double promotion on it and went to my store. They matched the price. Out the door with a PSP + Lumines II for $168. Nice. :D

For those who picked up instore, what firmware version did you get?

EDIT: This seems to work for the Nintendo DS as well...

Nintendo DS™ Lite Game System
+ add accessories $110.00
Bust-A-Move Deluxe (PSP™) $7.49
Subtotal: $117.49
Estimated shipping: $3.99
Estimated tax: $9.70
Total: $131.18

[quote name='AzN_BaLLeR']For those who picked up instore, what firmware version did you get?

EDIT: This seems to work for the Nintendo DS as well...

Nintendo DS™ Lite Game System
+ add accessories $110.00
Bust-A-Move Deluxe (PSP™) $7.49
Subtotal: $117.49
Estimated shipping: $3.99
Estimated tax: $9.70
Total: $131.18[/quote]

its 2.6 if im not mistaken...
a psp with that need for speed (510?) is really tempting but $170 still seems steep

Yeah i'll probably end up waiting for the redesign. Just bought a DS lite last week, and I have 4 games i have not played yet, and Puzzle quest.

[quote name='chrisnsally']Is a redesign confirmed, or still rumor-ware?[/quote]

It's still rumor-ware. Someone posted a link on here a few weeks ago that was linked to an article that was written several MONTHS ago. Nothing has been said about a redesign at all from any reputable source.

[quote name='mtxbass1']It's still rumor-ware. Someone posted a link on here a few weeks ago that was linked to an article that was written several MONTHS ago. Nothing has been said about a redesign at all from any reputable source.[/QUOTE]

I heard it was confirmed from Sony. Don't quote me on it though, I read it on maxconsole.

There will probably be a redesign of some kind sooner or later, but I have a feeling that it won't address the things that most people actually want it to (adding another analog stick, for example). In any case, the system is quite good even as it is, and the price drop combined with deals like this make it pretty attractive. If you're waiting for the redesign, you'll probably be waiting for quite a while, and you'll be missing out on some pretty good games in the meantime. You can always sell the old system and buy the new one if they do come out with something you like better.

I don't think a redesign is soon anytime likely, and honestly there isn't much they could change about it anyway (unless they remove the UMD drive or reduce the screen size, it couldn't get much smaller). It's possible we'll see a redesign...but when it happens, if ever, is entirely up in the air.

Oh, and for firmware versions, check the side of the box and look for the letter code to the upper-right of the top barcode. Anything from A to K can be downgraded/flashed with custom firmware using nothing more than a memory card (larger than 32MB required for OE firmwares). L through N can be downgraded, but require the GTA exploit method. So if you want a certain PSP version, just check the letter code at the store and try to get he one you want.

[quote name='mer71']Thanks OP and thanks to myself. So my method works. Can you believe someone from SD would steal my idea? :roll:[/quote]

Yes...yes, I can!

[quote name='Medium_Pimpin']Yeah i'll probably end up waiting for the redesign. Just bought a DS lite last week, and I have 4 games i have not played yet, and Puzzle quest.[/QUOTE]

Then you will be waiting forever.

The PSP has been talked about getting a redesign SINCE LAUNCH. That'll be another 2-3 years before it comes out and it'd be marginal at best. There's not much else that can be done that won't warrant making it an all new handheld.

Buy it now. The price has finally dropped. Pick up a few games that are cheap like Burnout Legends, Lumines II or Pursuit Force, load up a few mp3s, game demos and have fun. Stop telling yourself you'll wait for a magical game to get released or some mystical new hardware that won't improve anything.

[quote name='razor_crazed']anyone wanting to buy a psp, i need to sell mine which was used for only a few hrs. and will come with 3 games wifi, media manager, memory card and 12 other things for 200 firm

better deal then CC, and its got a warranty at bestbuy.[/QUOTE]
We have a Trading forum for this type of post. This thread isn't the right place for it.

[quote name='torifile']The PSP I got was a "P" firmware, which corresponds to 3.11.[/quote]

torfile dude... this is the brand new PSP you got from CC right? It's already 3.11? Man, i brought mines from CC back in February and it was 2.71... I wouls jump on this deal if version is lower... Man, looks like Sony jacked up the version on the newer PSPs, are there ways to tell this w/o opening the box?

[quote name='Serpentor']torfile dude... this is the brand new PSP you got from CC right? It's already 3.11? Man, i brought mines from CC back in February and it was 2.71... I wouls jump on this deal if version is lower... Man, looks like Sony jacked up the version on the newer PSPs, are there ways to tell this w/o opening the box?[/quote]
Yes there are, as described earlier in the thread.
[quote name='Edge']Oh, and for firmware versions, check the side of the box and look for the letter code to the upper-right of the top barcode. Anything from A to K can be downgraded/flashed with custom firmware using nothing more than a memory card (larger than 32MB required for OE firmwares). L through N can be downgraded, but require the GTA exploit method. So if you want a certain PSP version, just check the letter code at the store and try to get he one you want.[/quote]

Or check this guide.

[quote name='mer71']Thanks OP and thanks to myself. So my method works. Can you believe someone from SD would steal my idea? :roll:[/quote] I couldn't find your idea anywhere on SD. I was going to thumb it down over there. Your idea must not be good enough to steal. :lol:

Thanks, chrisnsally, but I'll pass on this as well. I've got too many unplayed games right now.

[quote name='parKer20']I couldn't find your idea anywhere on SD. I was going to thumb it down over there. Your idea must not be good enough to steal. :lol:

Thanks, chrisnsally, but I'll pass on this as well. I've got too many unplayed games right now.[/quote]

Between the OP's post and mine, you get even better deal. Atleast I think so?:wall:

[quote name='mer71']I added the PSP, Bust-a-move ($7.49) and Wipeout Pure ($19.99). I went to checkout and click on cart. I edited the cart by remving Bust-a-move. The end result.

Wipeout Pure (PSP)
UPC 711719861225
Price
Qty
Package Discount
Total
$19.99
-$12.50

$7.49
Sony PlayStation Portable (PSP)
SON 98507
Price
Qty
Package Discount
Total
$169.99
-$19.99

$150.00
Charges for this order:
Subtotal
Estimated Shipping
Estimated tax
Total
$157.49
$3.99
$9.69
$171.17

That is $32.49 taken off. Wait is the the same deal or worse? It is worse, because you get charged for the game. Is there anyway to exploit this glitch?[/quote]

THIS IS DEAD!!!

bread's done
Back