CIV 5 $20; 2K games (Borderlands, Mafia 1+2, Civ5) discounted @ Green Man Gaming

Woolagaroo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
http://www.greenmangaming.com/promo...77ea2810d-2K_week_17_02_2011&utm_medium=email

Green Man Gaming is offering discounts on select 2K games for the next couple days.
Mafia (Feb 17): $2.49 (75% off)
Borderlands (Feb 18): ~$10 (50 % off)
Civilization 5 (Feb 19): ~$20? (50% off)
Mafia 2 (Feb 20): ~$20 (50% off)

I should also note that Borderlands is not GOTY (so who cares?). Civ 5 seems like a good deal, I'll probably be in for that.

Edit: Looking at the Green Man Gaming page, I have come to realize that Civ 5 may be even cheaper. The game may still be $50 most places (including Steam), but GMG lists their price as $39.95, so 5-% off would be around $20. Either way, it's still cheaper than Steam's weekend deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
If this site is reputable (I've personally never heard of it, so it might be just me), that's the lowest I've ever seen Civ 5

Site seems pretty respectable. They were giving out free copies of DEFCON a while back (I already had it, but got it for my bro). Plus, Civ 5 (and Mafia 2) have Steam activation, so there's a bit of security.

I got Empire/Napoleon Total War GOTY from Greenman Gaming awhile back and it registered, with all the dlc, on steam with no issues. I'll definitely keep an eye out for Civ 5 this Saturday, thanks op!

Thanks OP, I've been waiting on a price drop of Civ 5 for literally months as I'm a massive poly sci/IR nerd..er I mean scholar.

Good sale but just a heads up this website must be European/Asian or Australian because it's a day ahead of us. Wanted to pick up Mafia but apparently it's not February 17th...

Any other people want to chime in about their experiences with GMG? Can't find much about them on google, but I assume that they are small and fairly new.

~$20 Civ 5 is just too good to pass up.

wow, should put civ 5 for $20 in the title, beats the weekend sale on steam
I've purchased a couple games in the past, their download utility is annoying, but won't matter in this case

[quote name='Matedawg11']Good sale but just a heads up this website must be European/Asian or Australian because it's a day ahead of us. Wanted to pick up Mafia but apparently it's not February 17th...[/QUOTE]

Is this going to present problem with USA client? Will I able to play with usa player in mult-player?

Changed thread title. As for the region thing, it seems like their clock is just a little off. I think they are actually an American website, and as for the game, your version of Steam should be what matters, as far as I know.

[quote name='Xellos2099']Is this going to present problem with USA client? Will I able to play with usa player in mult-player?[/QUOTE]

They just give you a code and you register that on Steam. There won't be any issues once you buy it.

[quote name='psunami']They just give you a code and you register that on Steam. There won't be any issues once you buy it.[/QUOTE]

If these codes were intended for distribution outside of the U.S., and you activate them on a U.S. Steam account, Valve might delete the games from your account. It would not be unprecedented.

I would consider that to be a problem.

Edit: Remember.

The site is based in London but the picture of Civ V is showing American box art (note the ESRB, not PEGI rating). Don't entirely know if it's worth the risk of Valve deactivating the game on me.

Submitted a support request asking if there will be an issue with Civ V/Mafia II keys.

The site's been great for me, my only gripe is they don't seem to tell you when you'll get a Steam code or when you'll have to use Capsule. Some games, like Alpha Protocol, just give you a steam code. Others that should be registerable on Steam, like Mount and Blade Warband, won't register on Steam because they don't give you a proper code.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']The site's been great for me, my only gripe is they don't seem to tell you when you'll get a Steam code or when you'll have to use Capsule. Some games, like Alpha Protocol, just give you a steam code. Others that should be registerable on Steam, like Mount and Blade Warband, won't register on Steam because they don't give you a proper code.[/QUOTE]

Look in the system requirements. It says that it installs via Steam. This is also true with D2D. When in doubt, look at the sys req's.

[quote name='11440']If these codes were intended for distribution outside of the U.S., and you activate them on a U.S. Steam account, Valve might delete the games from your account. It would not be unprecedented.

I would consider that to be a problem.

Edit: Remember.[/QUOTE]

I, as well as others here, have noted that we have bought games from them before and used them on Steam. No issues with them to this point.

[quote name='psunami']I, as well as others here, have noted that we have bought games from them before and used them on Steam. No issues with them to this point.[/QUOTE]
This. I have bought about 4 games from them since their site launched and have had no issues without so ever. Not all of those were Steamworks games either and I have never had a problem. Plus I traded a couple games in after they got stale to get some credit.

[quote name='rybrad']This. I have bought about 4 games from them since their site launched and have had no issues without so ever. Not all of those were Steamworks games either and I have never had a problem. Plus I traded a couple games in after they got stale to get some credit.[/QUOTE]
Would I be correct in assuming that once you trade a game in, it deactivates on Steam as well?

Man, Civ 5 for $20 is almost too good to pass up. But I haven't even really sunk my teeth into Civ 4 yet (picked it up during Steam's Holiday Sale.)

[quote name='mokmoof']Would I be correct in assuming that once you trade a game in, it deactivates on Steam as well?[/QUOTE]

From what I read in their explanation of the digital trade-in's, it does not apply to games that are activated on Steam.

[quote name='xfade']PC :( thread title would be nicer if more detailed :([/QUOTE]

You were perhaps hoping for Civ 5 on Xbox 360 or PS3? Besides, Green Man Gaming is an exclusively pc gaming site.

[quote name='mokmoof']Would I be correct in assuming that once you trade a game in, it deactivates on Steam as well?[/QUOTE]

You cannot trade in a game activated on steam. If you do, whoever gets a copy of your keys will not be able to register it. Stores should be knowledgeable about not accepting trade ins for steam titles.

Good morning,
Thanks for contacting Green Man Gaming; the keys we sell can be activated on US Steam accounts; we sale games globally (with some publisher region restrictions), but none for the USA.
Regards,
Martin - Customer Support Manager

Straight from the horses mouth. Looks like I'll be grabbing Civ V later today.

Nice find! I was close to jumping on Civ V on the Steam sale, but it just wasn't quite low enough for me yet. This price is; count me in!

Looks like I have to wait till tomorrow (Sat) for the Civ 5 sale.

Now all I need is time to play...

So I remember when Borderlands came out for PC originally it was buggy and semi-broken. Any better now? Xbox corrupted my saved character and I couldn't bring myself to play it all over again just to experience the DLC but I'd do it for pc.

Anyone play civ5 that think its worth 20 bucks?

I like strat games but I am very very picky about them. Ive been itching to play one lately and Ive never played a civ game before because they always looked really complex to me.

The one thing that ruins them for me is when the game makes you play a certain way or its constantly rushing you. Thats why I didnt like starcraft 2 cause I always felt like the game was making me hurry up and play. I like to explore, plan and play my way.

[quote name='gargus']Anyone play civ5 that think its worth 20 bucks?

I like strat games but I am very very picky about them. Ive been itching to play one lately and Ive never played a civ game before because they always looked really complex to me.

The one thing that ruins them for me is when the game makes you play a certain way or its constantly rushing you. Thats why I didnt like starcraft 2 cause I always felt like the game was making me hurry up and play. I like to explore, plan and play my way.[/QUOTE]

I'm not a hardcore Civilization fan, but I've played Civ 2, III, Revolution, and V and have enjoyed all of them. I like strategy games a lot in general.

I never got around to Civ IV (didn't have a computer powerful enough at the time), but from what I understand, the series grew more and more complex with each iteration, up through Civ IV. With Civ V, the designers decided to streamline it a bit to make it more accessible to players who are new to the series. The interface in particular is designed to make just the right amount of information available to you—enough to inform you, but not so much that you get overwhelmed.

With Civilization being turn-based, you'll have unlimited time to make decisions. I didn't like StarCraft II as much as I expected to for the reasons you mentioned.

In Civ V (as in previous Civ games), there are multiple ways to win: science, diplomacy, culture, conquest, or highest score (if you reach there year 2050 without achieving any other conditions). You can pretty much tailor the game to how you want to play and to the civilization with which you're playing.

Some of the Civ IV fans were disappointed with the changes made in Civ V, but I skipped Civ IV, so I can't comment on those. I'm also not a hardcore player of Civ, so I'm not too picky about it. All of them seem good to me.

I think there's a demo on Steam, so you can always check it out and see what you think. Hope this helps.

Civ V deal is live...just bought for $20 and activated my code on Steam...no problems at all. When you activate on Steam it says something like "Civilization 5 - Green Man Gaming" or something similar that clearly indicates they know where you go the code.

I wanted to do it ASAP since this is a pretty good deal (best so far) and while the deal is good for 24 hours there's always a chance they could run out of codes.

Just bought Civ V - took less then 5 minutes, including registering at the site and paying via Paypal. Steam accepted key without a problem.

[quote name='Wet Ninja']I'm not a hardcore Civilization fan, but I've played Civ 2, III, Revolution, and V and have enjoyed all of them. I like strategy games a lot in general.

I never got around to Civ IV (didn't have a computer powerful enough at the time), but from what I understand, the series grew more and more complex with each iteration, up through Civ IV. With Civ V, the designers decided to streamline it a bit to make it more accessible to players who are new to the series. The interface in particular is designed to make just the right amount of information available to you—enough to inform you, but not so much that you get overwhelmed.

With Civilization being turn-based, you'll have unlimited time to make decisions. I didn't like StarCraft II as much as I expected to for the reasons you mentioned.

In Civ V (as in previous Civ games), there are multiple ways to win: science, diplomacy, culture, conquest, or highest score (if you reach there year 2050 without achieving any other conditions). You can pretty much tailor the game to how you want to play and to the civilization with which you're playing.

Some of the Civ IV fans were disappointed with the changes made in Civ V, but I skipped Civ IV, so I can't comment on those. I'm also not a hardcore player of Civ, so I'm not too picky about it. All of them seem good to me.

I think there's a demo on Steam, so you can always check it out and see what you think. Hope this helps.[/QUOTE]

Allright, you talked me into it. Sounds like I might enjoy it and 20 bucks isnt bad really.

I completely forgot. Does steam patch this also? Or is that only valve and affiliate games? Just making sure since Ill be downloading it if I need to manually update it or not.

Nice find, been waiting for V to get to a decent price. Bought through Paypal and activated on steam w/o issue. Definitely a good deal!

[quote name='gargus']Allright, you talked me into it. Sounds like I might enjoy it and 20 bucks isnt bad really.

I completely forgot. Does steam patch this also? Or is that only valve and affiliate games? Just making sure since Ill be downloading it if I need to manually update it or not.[/QUOTE]

All games on steam use automatic patching, you don't need to manually update it.

[quote name='DarkonJohn']Civ V deal is live...just bought for $20 and activated my code on Steam...no problems at all. [/QUOTE]

Me too! Downloading on Steam now...

Thanks much, OP! Nothing like buying a Steam game for prices 30% below Steam's own sale! CAG ftw!

bread's done
Back