Classic Lucas Arts Games

KABUKISTAR

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I'm trying to pick up a copy of Grim Fandango and/or Curse of Monkey Island. I know they went into those cheep-o Jewell cases after awhile, so I'm hoping maybe I can find them for in the $10 range. Anyone seen them lately?

[quote name='Sleepkyng']day of the tentacle?
yes, please[/quote]

I just had someone burn me a copy... i owned both of these a million years ago (didn't ever finish grim though).. Lucasarts is probably never going to re-release these, even though there (was) demand for years. Screw it, just d/load it or burn it.

Five years ago I bought some 6 pack at best-buy of Lucasarts games, indiana jones, day of the tentacle, maniac mansion, monkey island, so many good games, I bet they still have them around somewhere for cheap.

Lucasarts still sold all those games at their official site up untill last year, but they're hard to find now (luckily I've had them all for many years).

I've never played Grim Fandango but I've seen just about the entire game played through. That's gotta be one of the best ever.

I'd shit myself for a DS reissue.

If you can find that one with the guy who rides a motorcycle, it is definitely worth a purchase. The name escapes me right now.

Edit: Looked it up and it's called Full Throttle.

There's a few routes to do this.

The first is to find them at a garage sale.

The second is to go to eBay or other auction sites, as well as amazon.com for used copies.

The third is to just download them yourself. I don't readily endorse this, but given that Lucasarts seemingly doesn't care, it will only get continually more difficult to run across these games outside of paying high prices on eBay.

Forth - pm MarioColbert. He's selling these fine leather jackets.

Word to the wise - there is a free fanmade deluxe addition of Maniac Mansion you can get for free (someone has aleady mentioned this). Additionally, remakes of Zak McKraken, King's Quests 1-3, and Quest for Glory 2 are also available.

Also, here's my list for old time's sake on what you should play:

Day of the Tentacle (aka Maniac Mansion 2)
Loom
Full Throttle
Monkey Islands 1-4 (Secret, LeChuck's Revenge, Curse, Escape)
The Dig
Indiana Jones (Fate of Atlantis, Last Crusade)
Grim Fandango
Sam and Max Hit the Road

**There is also a fanmade Indiana Jones sequel called Fountain of Youth coming out soon

I still cannot sleep at night knowing Lucasarts won't translate these to the DS. How hard could it honestly be? They could bargain the titles for $20 a pop. I'd buy all of them instantly.

I have Day of the Tentacle(original-might even have the box)

Grim Fandango- Jewel Case from Best Buy 3 or so years ago
All the Monkey Islands except the first

And then a copy of Sam and Max which so happens to be my favorite.

I love these games so much, too bad the new Sam and Max game coming out doesnt look so great....not to mention its an online DL and play game....,

Hey arn't all these games now Abandonwares????? like I know certain games are free after they dont apear on shelf(they get discontinued).

[quote name='Strell']There's a few routes to do this.

The first is to find them at a garage sale.

The second is to go to eBay or other auction sites, as well as amazon.com for used copies.

The third is to just download them yourself. I don't readily endorse this, but given that Lucasarts seemingly doesn't care, it will only get continually more difficult to run across these games outside of paying high prices on eBay.

Forth - pm MarioColbert. He's selling these fine leather jackets.

Word to the wise - there is a free fanmade deluxe addition of Maniac Mansion you can get for free (someone has aleady mentioned this). Additionally, remakes of Zak McKraken, King's Quests 1-3, and Quest for Glory 2 are also available.

Also, here's my list for old time's sake on what you should play:

Day of the Tentacle (aka Maniac Mansion 2)
Loom
Full Throttle
Monkey Islands 1-4 (Secret, LeChuck's Revenge, Curse, Escape)
The Dig
Indiana Jones (Fate of Atlantis, Last Crusade)
Grim Fandango
Sam and Max Hit the Road

**There is also a fanmade Indiana Jones sequel called Fountain of Youth coming out soon

I still cannot sleep at night knowing Lucasarts won't translate these to the DS. How hard could it honestly be? They could bargain the titles for $20 a pop. I'd buy all of them instantly.[/quote]Either I'm having INSANE deja vu or you've posted this exact thing before in a different thread.

I saw a best of lucasarts games at microcenter awhile back. If there is one place to find older computer games its microcenter. At least the one by me off powers ferry in the ATL has tons of older games. We go in there just to flip through the old stuff and pick up something to play for around $8 sometimes. I bought a nice 3 pack which included the old axis & allie/risk/diplomacy a few months ago for $14.99...

[quote name='Z-Saber']Either I'm having INSANE deja vu or you've posted this exact thing before in a different thread.[/QUOTE]

I've talked about it before, never quite said the same thing.

But I'm in the habit of repeating myself in repeating topics. :)

[quote name='willardhaven']Lucasfilm Games/Lucasarts used to be so cool.

"Ask me about loom"[/QUOTE]

Haha, I started MI1 a few days ago (I'm in the middle of a LA kick), and I still found that part highly amusing.

[quote name='Strell']I still cannot sleep at night knowing Lucasarts won't translate these to the DS. How hard could it honestly be? They could bargain the titles for $20 a pop. I'd buy all of them instantly.[/QUOTE]

What's the problem? You probably own the originals; download the interpreter for the DS, and play them on that. Problem solved.

[quote name='Sejad']Hey arn't all these games now Abandonwares????? like I know certain games are free after they dont apear on shelf(they get discontinued).[/QUOTE]

Abandonware's not a legal term, you know. There's nothing about copyright law that stipulates a work has to be available for sale. Maybe there should be, but there isn't.

[quote name='eldad9']What's the problem? You probably own the originals; download the interpreter for the DS, and play them on that. Problem solved.[/QUOTE]

Ehh, that requires buying flash carts and the like. Not a lot of trouble I know, but still. I guess I'm seeing it from Lucasarts's point of view in relation to what certain fans would love to have, but I'm sure their accountants would call it financial suicide.

I'll prolly go your way eventually.

Okay, I'm totally late for this discussion, but first off: it's true, I _AM_ selling these fine leather jackets at a rather non-expencive price that you can find by integrating the dirichlet function defined as:

f(x) = 0 for all Rational x,
f(x) = 1 for all Irrational x.

The function is discontinuous everywhere (a.k.a. NOWHERE CONTINUOUS) and needs knowledge of Lebesgue-Stieltjes Integration, so don't break your heads over it if you don't get the joke: it's grad school level.

Concerning the smart-ass "abandonware" term. I hope that everyone here is familiar with copyright laws in the United States. Now, since Copyright is a claim to begin with, a company may protect it's intellectual property all they want, which means that you can not sell these fine leather jackets at any price, regardless of Lebesgue integrals.

What happened to LucasArts games is that they've been discontinued, the original team has been disassembled (Ron Gilbert was actually upset enough to quit after Monkey Island 2, details unknown). I say "TEAM" because it was, really, one big squad of closely related friends (kinda like Sierra On-Line's original super-star line-up that worked on most of their big games together) that continually pushed the envelope of (back then) revolutionary gaming. In other word, they've all been dissed hardcore, pardon the pun.

A memeber of ESA (safe to assume LucasArts) holds all the rights to distribution, marketing, porting, and updating of the old franchises, including Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango and others. Considering their last few statements, it is not likely that any of the old franchises (including Monkey Island, one of the most successful names in adventure gaming, period) will ever be revisited. E3 2006 quote was "Bewitched and other movies have shown that revisiting old franchises turns up bad stuff, so we won't make another adventure game until at least 2016...", and despite the obvious "joke" nature of it, it's more likely to be true, or false, since they will NEVER make another adventure game.

The only piece of software that is somewhat "on the ropes" is Sam & Max Hit the Road, because they are based on characters of a very funny comicbook author Steve Purcell, who was kind enough to license his demonic creatures to TellTale Games, who will be unleashing a new SERIES of Sam & Max games this fall (fuck YES). (http://www.telltalegames.com/samandmax/faq)

What's left of their legacy?

http://www.overstock.com/?page=proframe&prod_id=1532434
http://www.cdromshop.com/cdshop/desc/p.023272001544.html
http://www.5dollarsoftware.com/spqu6rowiins.html (NOT LUCAS ARTS BUT STILL A COOL SITE)
http://www.cdaccess.com/html/pc/monkeyis.htm
http://www.cdaccess.com/html/shared/fullth.htm

Now, I want you to compare the prices above with $150 MINIMUM that you would have to spend for a spiffy Space Quest Collection on Amazon Marketplace, nevermind the insanity of the prices for such stuff on Ebay. There are tons of guys who do not care about said games that wish to get rich off of them. Nothing wrong with that, mind you, but I'm just telling you that you have a choice. If you are looking for Monkey Island Maddness, or Monkey Island 1 (with a CD soundtrack), or perhaps you want Day of the Tentacle ON THE CD... You may be shit out of luck, or shit out of money. I don't think we're even allowed discussing hacking the Nintendo DS firmware in order to play those games on it in here... But you do have a choice. You can PM me and tell me what you need, and I can (at the very least) tell you which copies of which games you can possibly afford. Because I kinda-sorta look into that sort of thing.

If you never played any of those games, your life is incomplete and I feel sorry for you, whoever you are.

[quote name='KABUKISTAR']I'm trying to pick up a copy of Grim Fandango and/or Curse of Monkey Island. I know they went into those cheep-o Jewell cases after awhile, so I'm hoping maybe I can find them for in the $10 range. Anyone seen them lately?[/quote]
FYI, I saw Curse of Monkey Island(Jewel case) for $9.95 at Fry's Electronics in Woodland Hills, didn't see Grim Fandango though.

I thought I'd add to this discussion: If you are seeking out old Lucas Arts classics, make sure to get the "talkie" version of the games, especially for Day of the Tentacle and Sam and Max. Makes the game so much more enjoyable. I wouldn't imagine playing them without the great voice acting.

I am so glad I have all these old and hard to get games. If you need any help sometimes I come across extras at pawn shops etc. PM me if Mario doesnt come through.

bread's done
Back