Classic NES series on GBA

ZForce915

CAGiversary!
Feedback
112 (100%)
I just bought The Legend of Zelda. I put it in for 1 minute and I fell in love again. The sound is really good and I really like the idea of porting NES exactally the way they were. The Super Mario Advances are great, but I don't think any tweeking was necessary. The only thing I'd like to see is a price drop to $15 or $10.

It would appear I've left Xevious off this list. Maybe because I didn't see it in the store, or maybe because I'm an idiot.

I just cant bring myself to buy these. I want to get the SP with the retro look but I already have the red one so its just not worth it.

Oh man, I almost forgot about that sweet ass GBA! I'd love to have one, but I bought a label from GBAMOD.com instead. It looks like the old Gameboy. It's pretty cool and only cost $4.

Yea, i don't have a SP yet, so I figured this is as good a time as any to get one.

The new commercial for the GBA SP and games is great. oes anyone have a link to it?

[quote name='moe11888']They should have put all of them on one cartrige or maybe two.[/quote]

I heard (I think on GameFAQs, so take it for what it is worth), that it was because of the third party titles that they didn't combine them. I don't care that they aren't on one cart, but I would like to see a $10 price tag. Maybe the next round will be lower.

I'm not down with 20 dollar for these old games. I prefer using my handy flash cart and load up the original NES games that play on the GBA..for free.

yep im with your cking, and with those illegal not owning the game, but copying them. NOBODY CARES theses days, copying games? ROMS? everyone does it. admit it. not saying i do ;) but yea, flash carts are the best thing that ever happen, go rent a game from your friend, put it in the flash cart. youll have about 6-10 games deciding on size of cart, and size of game. but i am encourging you do it. DO THIS AT YOUR OWN FREE WILL. but yea, get a 256mg flashcard from the internet, dl roms from over a bagillion sites, and put it in the cart. how hard? 256mg + usb2 = about 60 bucks? cheap for what you can do with it

[quote name='punqsux']20 is alot, but 15 with a free shirt, sign me up for mario this sunday[/quote]

Me too. Do you know if you'll be able to save during the game? If it's an exact port, you shouldn't be able to, but I'm kinda hoping you can.

As for the flash carts...although they are cool (a buddy of mine has one), they aren't perfect. I like to collect games, so I wouldn't want one. And don't assume nobody cares, because I'm sure if you were to ask Nintendo....they'd care.

IMO, Nintendo has balls charging $20 for each of these games. That's flat-out extortion.

Everyone always says how much Nintendo cares about the gamer, and all this stuff...I love the Big N as much as the next guy, but they just gave us all the middle finger.

[quote name='karmapolice620']What do you mean a free shirt?![/quote]

Starting this Sunday, CC will be offering a free retro Nintendo shirt with the purchase of Super Mario Bros., Donkey Kong or Pac-Man. (all Classic NES games on the GBA, of course) The price for the game will be $15

[quote name='ZForce915'][quote name='karmapolice620']What do you mean a free shirt?![/quote]

Starting this Sunday, CC will be offering a free retro Nintendo shirt with the purchase of Super Mario Bros., Donkey Kong or Pac-Man. (all Classic NES games on the GBA, of course) The price for the game will be $15[/quote]

if you buy pac man youre the biggest sucker ever. its on pacman collection and ms pac man is on namco museum, both of which can be had for 10$ brand new, and both with lots of other games on the same cart!

the same kinda goes for donkey kong and bomberman, because theres lots of bomberman games for gba, and from my understanding mario v. dk is a remake of DK94, in which the first 4 levels were the old donkey kong game.

btw my list for games of these that i want:

mario and zelda are musts

im considering excite bike and ice climber, but dont both of them exist on an e-reader? if so ill just get that instead

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']The only one I'm really interested in is LoZ. I want the rest, but LoZ takes precidence.[/quote]

Same here.

Excitebike is on e-reader, but it's a damn hassle to scan the cards everytime you want to play.

Y'all know these would be $15 @ BB after GGC right?

But wait a week, b/c they're on sale for $18 this week and you wouldn't be able to use the GGC.

And people think the economy is bad?

I'm pretty sure I could turn up a working NES and all of these games by cruising garage sales or the local swapmeet for about $30.

I can only wonder how many lunatics are going to buy the Super Mario Bros. who already bought the GBC version And how many will buy the Zelda who already have the collection for GameCube.

[quote name='epobirs']I can only wonder how many lunatics are going to buy the Super Mario Bros. who already bought the GBC version And how many will buy the Zelda who already have the collection for GameCube.[/quote]

Make room for one more at the asylum, as I am guilty as charged on both counts. ;)

My biggest problem is that they're releaseing these games for a system that can take the original Metroid and make it look a BAZILLION times better,

For god's sake take a few minutes and add some shading to the characters and soupe things up a bit, you can keep the core gamplay, but atleast make them LOOK better. The GBA is a poatable SNES not NES.

In regards to Bomberman, it is nothing compared to the later ones. I'm not talking about the new ones like Bomberman Tournament that are somewhat in depth but like Bomberman 2 or 3 for SNES. Those games where the pinnacle of good Bomberman. I bought the one for the NES and was disappointed. You have to blow up just about every block to find the 2 or 3 items throughout the level.

[quote name='mousin']yep im with your cking, and with those illegal not owning the game, but copying them. NOBODY CARES theses days, copying games? ROMS? everyone does it. admit it. not saying i do ;) but yea, flash carts are the best thing that ever happen, go rent a game from your friend, put it in the flash cart. youll have about 6-10 games deciding on size of cart, and size of game. but i am encourging you do it. DO THIS AT YOUR OWN FREE WILL. but yea, get a 256mg flashcard from the internet, dl roms from over a bagillion sites, and put it in the cart. how hard? 256mg + usb2 = about 60 bucks? cheap for what you can do with it[/quote]

If that's what you want to do, knock yourself out. Just realize that by doing so you give up any right in the future to bitch about Nintendo not making a game you want to play. Why should any company give a rats ass what some lame-ass pirate who most likely won't pay anyway wants to play?

If that's fine with you, I could care less what you do.
But the second you bitch about Nintendo not making games that suit your needs, you deserve a severe ass-kicking. That goes for every other company that makes media as well. Don't like the music that's out now?
Maybe if you and the other lame-ass pirates supported what they liked, you'd see more acts that you like get successful.

I'm not buying any. The only one I was interested in was Super Mario Brothers and I already have Super Mario Brothers DX for Gameboy Color

Plus I have Excitebike and Donkey Kong NES E-Reader cards.

Jsweeney - you miss the point a bit I think. the average pirate count give a rats ass anyway, they get what ever they want when ever they want it and for free. You cant get them to care a lick about copyrights or what it does to a company's bottom line.

You know those commercials the MPAA are running now about downloading movies? Fallin' on deaf ears because pirates dont care, it's the reason they're pirates to begin with!

It depends what you are talking about. Real piracy groups wouldn't care... they don't even care what they pirate so long as they keep putting out new stuff. It's the whiny little teenyboppers who bitch and moan about how games cost so much, how Nintendo only makes kiddy game, blah blah blah.

There is a marked difference between someone who actually does a rom dump, hosts it and then trades it from a whiny little shit who downloads the rom and then plays it on an emulator that someone else (a person with actual talant) wrote.

It's those people... the whiny little brats, who steal thier games for no reason other than they can, and then proceed to bitch about how much everything sucks that piss me off.

[quote name='Alpha2']My biggest problem is that they're releaseing these games for a system that can take the original Metroid and make it look a BAZILLION times better,

For god's sake take a few minutes and add some shading to the characters and soupe things up a bit, you can keep the core gamplay, but atleast make them LOOK better. The GBA is a poatable SNES not NES.[/quote]

Meh.. No. Have you seen Mario Brothers 3 on the GBA? It's "enhanced" (if only audio-wise, not sure) and I want nothing to do with it.. I want either a port or "zero mission" - preferably both and nothing inbetween.

I'd drop 15 for Zelda on the go. The rest.. no. Mario Bros. is considered if at 10.

[quote name='JSweeney']It depends what you are talking about. Real piracy groups wouldn't care... they don't even care what they pirate so long as they keep putting out new stuff. It's the whiny little teenyboppers who bitch and moan about how games cost so much, how Nintendo only makes kiddy game, blah blah blah.

There is a marked difference between someone who actually does a rom dump, hosts it and then trades it from a whiny little shit who downloads the rom and then plays it on an emulator that someone else (a person with actual talant) wrote.

It's those people... the whiny little brats, who steal thier games for no reason other than they can, and then proceed to bitch about how much everything sucks that piss me off.[/quote]

I agree. I hate people that whine about prices and stuff like that, then turn around and steal it. Chances are the video game company could never have listed it at a price that is low enough...stealing is always cheaper.

I can agree that these prices should be lower, but I won't steal them. I'll just use my cheapass powers to obtain them (legally) for next to nothing prices!

[quote name='mousin']yep im with your cking, and with those illegal not owning the game, but copying them[/quote]

It's probably legal if you own the original carts, even though Nintendo insists it's not.

It's format shifting, that's all.

[quote name='eldad9'][quote name='mousin']yep im with your cking, and with those illegal not owning the game, but copying them[/quote]

It's probably legal if you own the original carts, even though Nintendo insists it's not.

It's format shifting, that's all.[/quote]

No it's not. The old "if you own the original cart you can own this, and if you don't you have to delete it within 24 hours" was never true. If it's a copy it's a copy. And I don't care if you copy it, but this discussion is about the price, not piracy.

[quote name='Sartori'][quote name='Alpha2']My biggest problem is that they're releaseing these games for a system that can take the original Metroid and make it look a BAZILLION times better,

For god's sake take a few minutes and add some shading to the characters and soupe things up a bit, you can keep the core gamplay, but atleast make them LOOK better. The GBA is a poatable SNES not NES.[/quote]

Meh.. No. Have you seen Mario Brothers 3 on the GBA? It's "enhanced" (if only audio-wise, not sure) and I want nothing to do with it.. I want either a port or "zero mission" - preferably both and nothing inbetween.

I'd drop 15 for Zelda on the go. The rest.. no. Mario Bros. is considered if at 10.[/quote]

The GBA version of Mario 3 is just a port from the Mario All-Stars on the SNES. The gameplay on the SNES was perfectly preserved while making the game much more attractive than the NES original.

I have no understanding of this slavish devotion to the limitations of ancient hardware. I care about how the game played. That is what counts when bringing the game to newer hardware. This is why, out of all the titles in this series, I'd only consider those which originated on the Famicom/NES hardware base. The idea of playing the NES version of Xevious, for instance, when the system is capable of reproducing the arcade original much better than the NES ever was, is ridiculous. It might be amusing if they put a dozen or so games on a single cart but $20 for one is just parting fools from their money.

The slavish devotion to the NES is a mystery to me. Perhaps because I'm than those whose entire concept of gaming was formed around Nintendo. I loved the version of Joust I had on my Atari 800 but if I want to play Joust today I go with a version based on emulation of the arcade original or better rather than resurrecting the highly compromised home edition.

After all, are you seeking a classic game to play or an illusion of your lost childhood?

[quote name='epobirs'][quote name='Sartori'][quote name='Alpha2']My biggest problem is that they're releaseing these games for a system that can take the original Metroid and make it look a BAZILLION times better,

I'd drop 15 for Zelda on the go. The rest.. no. Mario Bros. is considered if at 10.[/quote]

The GBA version of Mario 3 is just a port from the Mario All-Stars on the SNES. The gameplay on the SNES was perfectly preserved while making the game much more attractive than the NES original.

I have no understanding of this slavish devotion to the limitations of ancient hardware. I care about how the game played. That is what counts when bringing the game to newer hardware. This is why, out of all the titles in this series, I'd only consider those which originated on the Famicom/NES hardware base. The idea of playing the NES version of Xevious, for instance, when the system is capable of reproducing the arcade original much better than the NES ever was, is ridiculous. It might be amusing if they put a dozen or so games on a single cart but $20 for one is just parting fools from their money.

The slavish devotion to the NES is a mystery to me. Perhaps because I'm than those whose entire concept of gaming was formed around Nintendo. I loved the version of Joust I had on my Atari 800 but if I want to play Joust today I go with a version based on emulation of the arcade original or better rather than resurrecting the highly compromised home edition.

After all, are you seeking a classic game to play or an illusion of your lost childhood?[/quote]

1) The GBA version of Mario 3 is not a port of the SNES Mario All-Stars. I'm not sure where you are getting that info.

2) I agree that porting a better version of a game like Xevious (i.e. arcade) would be a great idea. Of course it would be out of place in the "Classic NES series". Bringing it to newer hardware...the only benefit of this would be to elminate slowdown where there may have been slowdown present before.

3) I don't think anyone is agruing in favor of the price here. I multi-game cart would be nice, but I can see where third parties and developers might come into play here. If all 8 games where on one cart, how would the royalites be split up?

4) "The slavish devotion to the NES is a mystery to me". It would be pretty easy for me to rattle off 20 titles that are classic and will never lose their re-playablity. Some of us grew up with the Nintendo. I did. And frankly some of these games trump many released today. I'll take gameplay over graphics anyday.

If anyone who has gotten any of the games that support a highscore feature, does the game actually save your highscore after you turn it off or did the emulate the NES no highscore save feature as well in these games?

[quote name='Drizzt']If anyone who has gotten any of the games that support a highscore feature, does the game actually save your highscore after you turn it off or did the emulate the NES no highscore save feature as well in these games?[/quote]

In SMB, you get an option to save high score in the pause menu.

bread's done
Back