Classic or Not #1: Super Mario 64

pumbaa

CAGiversary!
I have an idea, lets see how its works. I want to do a weekly (hell... maybe even daily) poll on whether "classic" games are actually good enough to be called "classics". Any game before this generation is fair game. So... here goes the 1st one.
Comment away...

Your poll is noticably lacking a poll...

Mario64 is a tough call. Yes, its a good game. Yes, it pretty much defined the 3D platformer.

Classic though? I dunno, I'm in the middle.

Edit: there's that poll

Dude, you are so totally the Linda Richman of CAG...

"Topic: Final Fantasy is neither final nor a fantasy...discuss."

myke.
...feeling a little verklempt.

I voted classic. I don't consider it a classic but I think in a few years it will be considered one. When I think of 3D platformers, this is the first that comes to mind.

Mario 64 is absolutely a classic. It revolutionized 3D gaming, made the N64 worth owning, and even now is a great game to pick up and play (and the only reason I bought that DS).

yeah, its a classic, it was revolutionary, its been aged well enough, and is on an out of date system, that qualifies for a classic, but not old school,

[quote name='mykevermin']Dude, you are so totally the Linda Richman of CAG...

myke.
...feeling a little verklempt.[/QUOTE]

LMAO. I'd gladdly put that in my sig. Bravo. :applause:

[quote name='pumbaa']LMAO. I'd gladdly put that in my sig. Bravo. :applause:[/QUOTE]

Glad it was taken as it was meant, and not taken the wrong way.

myke.

hey more than 4 years is a long time in my book so hell yes that shit is a $$$$ing classic mother $$$$ing game

I voted classic. But I wonder if 5- 10 years from now we'll be saying the same thing about Super Mario Sunshine. Somehow I highly doubt.

[quote name='mykevermin']Dude, you are so totally the Linda Richman of CAG...

myke.
...feeling a little verklempt.[/QUOTE]

The Critic:

"The peanut is neither a pea, nor a nut. Oh, wait, it is a nut."

:)

I have issues with calling games from the generation just before the current one as classic. The 16bit era and before, sure, but I think it's a little too early to be naming N64, PSX, or Saturn games as "Classic."

That being said, Mario 64 was certainly a genre maker and definer (and still is in a lot of ways), and down the road will probably be looked at as revolutionary as the original SMB. For now, though, no, it's not a classic.

daroga

just recently (like yesterday..) picked this up at a pawn shop.. i've played about 3 levels and its great. it definately took mario more action then the previous games.

bread's done
Back