Cleaning marker off of cartridges?

kipz

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
I recently got some SNES cartridges with marker writing on them and I think I read it here that you can use the Mr.Clean Magic Erasers to clean it off. I just wanted to double check before I go buy them.

lighter fluid maybe? if not i think finger nail remover might work, not 100% on that, i have no idea on the magic eraser though

I've done it with a few cartridges. Takes A LOT of work but it eventually comes off. I use Goo Gone or Goof Off. Rubbing alcohol will work too but takes longer.

[quote name='kipz']I recently got some SNES cartridges with marker writing on them and I think I read it here that you can use the Mr.Clean Magic Erasers to clean it off. I just wanted to double check before I go buy them.[/quote]

Magic Erasers are the best; I use them all the time

Just a FYI, harsh chemicals [nail polish remover and to a lesser extent rubbing alcohol] will take the shine away from the plastic .

copying my reply from another thread regarding this:

"bear in mind though that those magic erasers are mildly abrasive, and will "bald" most plastic cartridges, if used aggressively enough -- using an SNES or Genesis cartridge as an example, notice that the plastic isn't completely smooth, but actually has a fine, matte finish -- this can be worn smooth with the erasers, and can sometimes be quite noticeable in the right light. unfortunately, sometimes it's the only thing that works.

i use the aforementioned erasers, Goo Gone, 409, water, cotton swabs, toothbrushes, and clean, lint-free cloths. paper towels/napkins (and even the cotton swabs) can leave material behind in the things you clean, so exercise caution if you decide to use them. also ensure that any electronics you're cleaning (cartridge contacts, systems, etc.) are completely dry and free of debris before applying power."

I've used both Goo Gone and nail polish remover to get marker off carts- but, like stated, it does mess up the cart's finish.

The best counter to that I've found is to quickly apply, via cotton round, a vitamin D skin oil I've had around- often before the marker is fully off (alternating between it and the goo gone/polish remover.) Once I'm happy with the result, I give the whole cart a quick once-over with a cloth and furniture polish to get the excess oil off. It's not a perfect solution by far, but it helps.

Solder flux remover. It dissolves sharpie writing like nobody's business. Just make sure you wipe it off of the plastic before it starts to warp the plastic and try to keep it away from the labels.

Most people don't know about this because they don't work with solder flux remover on a regular basis, but it's great. It even helps with sticker residue.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got this stuff at the home depot about a year ago called "mostenbocker's lift off - graffiti remover". Works just fine on carts and the many other things I've used it for(gotta be careful not to get the label wet thogh), the only thing I've really had a problem with is on white discs, For example let's say there's some marker writing on that top part of an Xbox 360 disc - this stuff will fade it quite a bit but I've never been able to get rid of it completely.

It works pretty well for getting rid of sticker gunk too. Goo gone seems to work better but I don't like the hassle of getting rid of that greasy orange smelling residue when you're cleaning it off.

The best way to remover permanent marker marks from glossy surfaces is with dry-erase markers. Of course, this doesn't quite work with Nintendo carts because of the matte finish.

I'm a teacher and use dry-erase markers every day. I read about this power of dry erase markers but didn't believe it. It is amazing . . . it basically erases the marks and you can just wipe off the residue. It doesn't work that well with carts because it soaks in.

Maybe a moderator could just merge all of the cleaning threads into one big one so that there's one place to get answers about this stuff.

Personally, I have a tough time with those damn "void" stickers and blockbuster stickers that leave behind that evil metal residue. I also recently bought an ecco the dolphin cart (CIB, yay!) from goodwill, and some fucktard decided it would be a good idea to use some kind of super-powerful glue and equally powerful tape to keep the manual attached to the inside of the box, and I can't get that crap off. It isn't super glue, it looks almost like rubber cement and I don't know how to remove it.

Maybe someone here knows how?

I tried Axe since I had some, it worked well but did not finish the job. That might be good since I won't have to try as hard with something harsher. I will see what else I have of any of the mentioned items, maybe some goo-gone.

P.S. Now chicks are all over my copy of Mega Man X:p

I usually use WD40 to get the glue/dirt/Crap off my snes and N64 Cartridges. Works like a charm. Then If I feel really brave I use some Brake Cleaner on some Paper towels to get off marker or sharpie stuff. :D But that's just me. Everybody has there own methods.

goo gone or goof off, works great, just use it lightly and just for as long as needed. Looks like new after done :D to long in one spot can cause bald spot, and then that becomes pretty noticeable, if you do that, you can try rubbing in a circle area to blend your bald spot in as good as possible with the rest of the cart, if all else fails, sell your cart and buy another ;)

Weird, I've never had a problem with alcohol swabs. It's safe and will dry up with no problem unlike some of the other stuff recommended in this thread.

I use Guardsman's Ink Remover Stick though it's use with leather and vinyl furniture - it works great on N64 cartridges so I figured it should do the same on other similar cartridges such as NES, SNES, Genesis, Atari, etc. =D Highly recommended!

ADD EDIT: It would also remove, I mean really REMOVE, marker ink on CD/DVD (meaning: PS1-3, PSP, DC, GC, Wii)
Did that with few GC and PS1 games, too. How awesome is that? o_O;

After applying the ink remover, keep doing until you see it's going nearly faded or gone... use any napkin or dry cloth to wipe it off then apply the ink remover on it once again and do it again with same or new napkin (or whatever you prefer) until you are satisfied with it. That method usually takes no more than 5 minutes!
https://shop.guardsman.com/guardsman/store/productDetail.html?productId=4902

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='KingDox']I bet Hand Sanitizer works.[/QUOTE]

Probably but after moderate use, I'm almost pretty sure that the hand sanitizer would tear down the paper label sticker (cause paper damage from water).

I just use rubbing alcohol and a toothbrush.
Works all the time for me.
It might take 10minutes though, but it wont melt the cart or anything.

ive used goo gone as well. you cant rub it hard because its going to take some of that ink off of the label. if its on the cart itself, then rub away.

i also used acetone to take marks off of n64 games. it works well except that when you apply too much the plastic starts to melt. so i never used it again. magic erasers seems like a great idea.

Denatured alcohol takes off dirt, marker and stickers very nicely. It's also cheap. It'll even take off that nasty residue left buy the dreaded blockbuster do-not-remove stickers. It will not harm the plastic or the finish at all. Beware of using fingernail polish, it could contain acetone which will dissolve most types of plastic.

You can find it at any hardware store, Lowes, Home despot, etc.

I usually use lighter fluid and if I can find them, a cotton baby diaper or one of those towels for washing cars... basically something really soft if it doesn't have much texture. If it has texture like an SNES cart does, then I use an old dish rag or washcloth.

I tend to ignore writing on labels themselves as I don't resell my games and would rather not cause any more harm. Plus, I actually did resell a copy of some game my grandparent's got me that was a double. It had my friend's last name on it, so I sold it to him for what they paid for it. It turned out that it was his cousin's. :)

I use the generic Kroger brand magic eraser (be cause I get the employee discount, haha), and I find they work better than the name brand. They get the marker off without as much wear on the matte finish.

Seriously, do you guys just sit around all day and spay/rub different stuff on your cartridges just to see what happens? :lol:

[quote name='Chuplayer']Solder flux remover. It dissolves sharpie writing like nobody's business. Just make sure you wipe it off of the plastic before it starts to warp the plastic and try to keep it away from the labels.

Most people don't know about this because they don't work with solder flux remover on a regular basis, but it's great. It even helps with sticker residue.[/QUOTE]
sounds interesting.

[quote name='Vinny']Seriously, do you guys just sit around all day and spay/rub different stuff on your cartridges just to see what happens? :lol:[/QUOTE]
lol.

i use ketchup to remove stains from my shirt. it works on red shirts :whee:

bread's done
Back