Close please

[quote name='DrFoo']No, I'm sorry, but no. Even at the very low end you can build a HP PC (I use HP to compare since HP has a better website) that is just as good as the cheapest Macbook for $150 less and you will still have more hard drive space and memory (and a larger screen, although I guess you might not want that). Also you have to keep in mind that is before any coupons, and HP regularly has $300 off coupons. At the high end the differences get even larger. You can buy the equivalent of the highest end Macbook Pro for half the price on HP's site (I think it was $3200 versus ~$1600). And that is still before any coupons.
[/QUOTE]

LIke i said a bit less. I'd take the Macbook for $150 more any day.

There is no comparable high-end with HP either. YOu have to compare everything. HP gives you a 6.2 lb behemoth while MBPs are not only the fastest Mac laptops, but the fastest Windows laptops as well and they weigh 5.14 lbs. That lb difference is a big difference in a laptop.

Also not all screens are created equal. Apple's top of the line 17" laptop that I think you're trying to compare has a gorgeous 1920x1280 screen and is not only a higher resolution than the HPs, but also of a much higher quality.

Also in your comparison for a MBP you're not giving Apple credit for the 2.6 ghz cpu. I don't see that option on HP's site. I don't see the same gpu.

The build (all aluminum case vs plastic) is not exactly comparable either. yada yada yada. NOw maybe I missed these options because man wading through HP's site is an exercise in frustration with the gazillion options you're and strange model numbers. I don't know.

Anyway the notion that Macs are so much more expensive is as much myth as truth. The reason they are more expensive in general is they have few models and they don't allow much configuration. That's how the myth develops. (Oh Bob, I seen a 17" laptop on HP's site that's much cheaper. Yeah Ralph, Apple is so expensive. )

So I mean you're not going to be able to get a cheap 17" Macbook because Apple just doesn't make that model and a 17" macbook is really the computer you priced out for $1600 on HP's site.

[quote name='trip1eX']LIke i said a bit less. I'd take the Macbook for $150 more any day.

There is no comparable high-end with HP either. YOu have to compare everything. HP gives you a 6.2 lb behemoth while MBPs are not only the fastest Mac laptops, but the fastest Windows laptops as well and they weigh 5.14 lbs. That lb difference is a big difference in a laptop.

Also not all screens are created equal. Apple's top of the line 17" laptop that I think you're trying to compare has a gorgeous 1920x1280 screen and is not only a higher resolution than the HPs, but also of a much higher quality.

Also in your comparison for a MBP you're not giving Apple credit for the 2.6 ghz cpu. I don't see that option on HP's site. I don't see the same gpu.

The build (all aluminum case vs plastic) is not exactly comparable either. yada yada yada. NOw maybe I missed these options because man wading through HP's site is an exercise in frustration with the gazillion options you're and strange model numbers. I don't know.

Anyway the notion that Macs are so much more expensive is as much myth as truth. The reason they are more expensive in general is they have few models and they don't allow much configuration. That's how the myth develops. (Oh Bob, I seen a 17" laptop on HP's site that's much cheaper. Yeah Ralph, Apple is so expensive. )

So I mean you're not going to be able to get a cheap 17" Macbook because Apple just doesn't make that model and a 17" macbook is really the computer you priced out for $1600 on HP's site.[/quote]

It would seem to me that HP has deals every now and then that provide a significant discount on their computers; I don't really see Mac discounts too often. I could be wrong though...

It's the only way they can get people to buy them, the HP's, Dell's, etc.

That is, mark them down from the over inflated MSRP.

trip1eX is 100% correct.

You get what you pay for.

[quote name='trip1eX']LIke i said a bit less. I'd take the Macbook for $150 more any day.
[/QUOTE]

Well I will agree with you on a couple of points. The screen on the Mac is better than the PC (the 17" model, which is a Macbook pro). And you're probably right about the weight (weight isn't a big concern for me). If that's worth $1700+ to you then you should buy a Mac (although you lose 70gb of hard drive space with the mac as well).

The case quality on both is nearly the same from personal experience (I actually prefer HP's cases, but that's just me). The Mac does have the option for a 2.6 ghz processor, but that'll cost another $250 from the 2.5ghz processor.

And I don't know what you're trying to say at the end of your post. I custom built a computer on HP's site nearly identical to apples 17" Macbook pro (which you can easily find on apples site) and it cost under half as much. The fact that Apple doesn't allow you to do as much configuration should make manufacturing them even less expensive and should lower the price, not somehow double it.

If you want to do the same comparison go to the Apple Store -> Macbook Pro -> 17" version and then go to HP's site and go to laptops-> entertainment -> dv9700t and customize it until it has roughly the same components. Otherwise if you want to compare a regular macbook do the same only with a macbook and I think HP's equivilant is the 6700t or something like that.

[quote name='varsitygamer']Except, you know, MacBook Pros or Mac Pros. Those are some fucking sick machines to game on.[/quote]

Tell me you're kidding.

[quote name='varsitygamer']Except, you know, MacBook Pros or Mac Pros. Those are some fucking sick machines to game on.[/quote]

Except when you buy a windows notebook that performs the same or better for a fraction of the price. Even the top end macs tend to have ass for videocards

[quote name='CaptainPlanet!']Tell me you're kidding.[/quote]

probably not, many mac users don't live anywhere near reality

[quote name='n25philly']Except when you buy a windows notebook that performs the same or better for a fraction of the price. Even the top end macs tend to have ass for videocards[/QUOTE]

only if that fraction is 95/100. Similarly spec'd Dell "gaming laptops" feature the same video cards. ( with same HD size, processor, wireless, etc) come in a slightly cheaper.

And people say mac users are smug...

[quote name='usickenme']only if that fraction is 95/100. Similarly spec'd Dell "gaming laptops" feature the same video cards. ( with same HD size, processor, wireless, etc) come in a slightly cheaper.

And people say mac users are smug...[/quote]

And if your dumb enough to buy a Dell you deserve to spend that kind of money

Well that was just an example. Most similarly spec'd PC notebooks are in the same range. Toshiba, alienware, etc.

I think by the end of the year the PC advantage will be bigger as they tend to implement videocard upgrades faster. But that doesn't mean "Teh MAc is the Suxors!!"

It pains me to read this thread. The haters obviously haven't used a Mac in a long long time. The MBP is very well built. A comparable PC laptop would cost nearly the same. I'm not talking about bargain basement PCs you get at Dell, but a professional's laptop. You can't compare wal-mart shit to a real PC.

I bought my mac book pro last summer when they updated them. I have had juice spilled all over it at a party and it still runs like a beast, even with some sticky keys. First laptop I have ever had, in the past I just built pc's. I use it for final cut, soundtrack, and after effects, it runs like a dream and hey, no viruses!

[quote name='usickenme']only if that fraction is 95/100. Similarly spec'd Dell "gaming laptops" feature the same video cards. ( with same HD size, processor, wireless, etc) come in a slightly cheaper.

And people say mac users are smug...[/quote]

Odd .. I just spec'ed out a Dell machine and even an Alienware machine. The Dell machine was spec'ed the same as the Macbook Pro (except had a 256MB 8600) for 1000$ less. The Alienware was 600$ less with the same specs, except the cheapest 512MB video card I could add was a 8700 ....

So yea ... a fraction :roll:

I love mac vs PC debates ... the arguements are so stupid until you look at facts.

The greatest Pro of a Mac is the resale value. That and it can dual boot in both which is nice, but I wouldn't doubt that the Mac will eventually do the same for the PC in the future. I'm not bashing macs .. I would never use one because I'm a gamer and can get all the results I need out of a cheaper PC, plus I use desktops, it's all prefrence in my opinion

bread's done
Back