Close this topic.

Dragonsbane

CAGiversary!
Feedback
40 (100%)
Hi all.

I am currently writing this from my eMachine laptop, nuff said. It can play starcraft and other low end titles but I would like to move on up. I am looking for a good gaming comp setup (need a monitor, if it is cheaper to buy seperate then never mind). I only have like $800.00 to spend. Mind you I only want to play RTS titles and little else. So can any one help me out?

Thanks for any help I get.

I would honestly check out Dell.com. I have a Dell Dimension 4600C, and it's actually not made to be a good gaming computer, but it can play any games I've played so far, and got it for around $600. Now they've gotten a lot better, so your likely to find an awesome deal on one, just check every week because the offers change all the time.

If you would spend around $1,000, you could get a XPS, which is actually a gaming computer, but it all depends on what you want.

Go on their website, pick the desktop you'd like, and customize it for what specifications you want, then you can get an idea of how much you'd be paying.

[quote name='.JPG']I would honestly check out Dell.com. I have a Dell Dimension 4600C, and it's actually not made to be a good gaming computer, but it can play any games I've played so far, and got it for around $600. Now they've gotten a lot better, so your likely to find an awesome deal on one, just check every week because the offers change all the time.

If you would spend around $1,000, you could get a XPS, which is actually a gaming computer, but it all depends on what you want.

Go on their website, pick the desktop you'd like, and customize it for what specifications you want, then you can get an idea of how much you'd be paying.[/QUOTE]

www.ibuypower.com to get a stronger PC for a better price. That is if you already have a monitor.

[quote name='sying']www.ibuypower.com to get a stronger PC for a better price. That is if you already have a monitor.[/QUOTE]

I've never seen this site before. If you are looking for a gaming computer, this site looks like the place to go, but I don't know how dependable these systems are. Dell's are very dependable are easily upgradable, I don't know about these systems.

I'd have to check more into them and see more about it, but to the OP, I would check out both Dell and this site.

You can also get coupons for Dell.com to knock off a chunk of the price. That way you can get a bit nicer computer.
I think for the newer games you would just need a good vid card and a bit of extra memory. Black Friday should have some decent vid cards on sale I would think.

edit: also, I have heard from many people that if you call and order it through a csr, you can haggle with the price.
Depending on the csr they will give you a deal, just dont any coupons until after you get the price from the csr to knock it down even further.

Dell has a great deal going on right now...check www.passwird.com for the linkage (in the past few days). Looks like you could get a 3.0 gig, 512-1GB mem and a decent little graphics card for under your 800...plus a nice 17 or 19 inch flat panel.

Dell's customer service is usually excellent. Outsourcing does have benefits...like having empoloyees who actually are grateful for the job. I had trouble getting a digital camera delivered (it was OOS after my order was confirmed), and before it was all said and done, they gave me a $90 coupon (stackable that I used +30% off on a camera) and a $30 coupon (non-stackable that I used on a memory stick).

Go with Dell...lots of flexibility, customization and solid service.

OC

I recently ordered the Dimension 9100 from Dell for about $870 with shipping and tax ($100 rebate also). It also came with a 19-inch LCD, which wasthe main reason I brought it). Dell sells the LCD for about $300. The only things I didn't like about it are the graphics card isn't too good and the 512 RAM. However, both of these can be gotten for cheap most of the time. It was actually a pretty good deal.

Pay attention to sites like slickdeals.net and techbargins.com. You can find Dell coupons for a certain amount off.

O, if you are going with Dell, check the small business site first. Sometimes they are cheaper or have better deals than the home site.

I found a local place that will build me a comp but the price they charge for a drt monitor are rediculous. 145 for a 17'' and 30 for the speakers.

So in short can you guys help me find a good monitor and speaker set?

mac mini base model+add on that increases hd space and amount of usb and firewire ports
if you are in school

should bring you around 700(incl. tax), im guessing that you have a desktop, so use the monitoe, keyboard and mouse

Watch the Dell deals on Fatwallet.coms hot deal forums. Dells are good and cheap and very upgradable, I love their cases.

Don't buy a Mac they are more trouble than they are worth! I have a friend who switched to Mac and sold it and came back to the darkside! ;)

Luckily since you're only interested in RTS games you'll save a bundle on a videocard, the most expensive component of most computers. Even the most demanding modern RTS game only wants a 32MB video card.

bread's done
Back