Closed: 1st eBay Complaint: Surprise! Buyer Wins.

csidegamer

CAGiversary!
Feedback
159 (100%)
I had an auction, for Final Fantasy VIII for PSX.
Auction

In the auction, it said I only shipped to United States, for $3.50 Flat
Buyer wins from Canada. I know I should have blocked non-us bidders, but hadn't.

Told buyer, that shipping/Handling charge was to US address, wanted $2.50 more for Canada.
Buyer paid, no problem.

Buyer won on 12/10. Took till 12/15 to receive additional payment.
Item shipped on 12/17.

Now Buyer claims he never received.
It has been just over two weeks.
Should he have had it by now? or would the Holidays have delayed it this long?

Anyway, his complaint is that I overcharged for shipping, and probably kept the game. I have the receipt from the PO and the Customs Label #. Of course no DC to Canada.

My concern is that when I go to the Resolution Center in PayPal, I don't have any option to dispute his claim. I can resolve, but refunding his money and that is it. I thought I'd have an option to reply.

Anyone else had something like this happen? and if so, did you win, or refund the money to avoid a neg.

I have 10 days to decide if a negative is worth $11 or not.

International chargeback = 100% loss. Game over.

I would stall time until the last day you have to respond just to see if he gets it. Additionally, send him a polite email reminding him that mail during the holiday season is likely to take a little longer, and that 2 weeks is a little soon in filing a chargeback.

If he's a dick, then neg him and be sure to include that he filed a false chargeback (if you genuinely believe he got the tiem) and bids on US only auctions

Dave

Its gets caught up in Canada Customs. That shit usually takes forever. Offer a refund in another week. Also you did can you get DC on that?

I'm not sure about the other way around, but it took me 11 months to receive a package from Canada, I believed the seller so I didn't leave a negative in the 3 month period then just kind of forgot about it. If this somehow happens to you too, atleast if the guy leaves a negative he'll feel like shit a year later when he gets it, heh.

Canadian Custom delays during the holidays can be nightmarish. Last I checked, they really have a shortage of facilities to process these sort of things. I think stuff I was mailing regular airmail was taking a month standard.

Send him a postcard that illustrates, using an actual illustration, that you wish to kick him in the nuts. You'll know when he receives it.

Average shipping time between boston and toronto: 2 weeks
Shortest shipping time between boston and toronto: 5 days
Longest shipping time between boston and toronto: 28 days

I can drive between those two cities in 8 hours and the distance is a little over 500 miles. That is a good guideline for canada as a whole I've found, but I did have a package going to northern alberta take 2 months.

Tell him to check his local customs or the border, they usually don't inform anyone when a package is being held. They sometimes send it on its way, sometimes contact then long after it was held, and sometimes contact no one.

Canada customs is notorious in canada and often a source of mockery. This is also true with anyone who deals with canada in any volume.

I sold someone from canada something on the 11th of dec i think it was. Buyer paid on dec 15th, shipped on the 16th. During the x-mas rush and all that. According to the tracking, it took it till the 28th before even reaching customs. You should tell the seller that it was shipped during the x-mas rush and needs to have a little more patience condsidering the extra time waiting for him to complete the payment.

[quote name='Slade555']Scan the receipt and label and send him the picture.[/QUOTE]

That is a good idea.

I was going to check the post office and see if they could find out anything with Customs.

I've heard (I think CAG Haggar has posted this several times) that international buyers can't file PayPal complaints?

But yeah if they did let him file a complaint, since there is no tracking to Canada you're probably basically fucked. My advice would be to only ship to someone in Canada if you're willing to take their word on receiving it or not. Buyer has 100% FB, but not too much overall. He's probably being straight with you (Why start scamming on a $5 item?)

And I do think it could easily take longer than 2 weeks to get from the US to Canada. If you're lucky, it will probably end up getting to him at some point in the next couple weeks.

I'd respond to the dispute. Just say shipping to Canada can take a long time and you feel it should be given at least another 3-4 weeks before the package is assumed lost.

[quote name='wubb']I've heard (I think CAG Haggar has posted this several times) that international buyers can't file PayPal complaints?
[/QUOTE]

That was what I thought too.

He has filed the complaint, but I have no option to dispute. Only resolve, which is wierd. I have 10 days to respond, but I am not going to automatically give him the money back.

How did you find out when the item reached customs?

[quote name='Stink_Pickle']I sold someone from canada something on the 11th of dec i think it was. Buyer paid on dec 15th, shipped on the 16th. During the x-mas rush and all that. According to the tracking, it took it till the 28th before even reaching customs. You should tell the seller that it was shipped during the x-mas rush and needs to have a little more patience condsidering the extra time waiting for him to complete the payment.[/QUOTE]

same i just mailed something to canada... some scoccer game and they told me there is no way to track it if they decide to do a chargeback... I only paid 4 bucks for the game and they paid 9 shipped... i thought what the hell if it gets lost it gets lost at least its not sucking up my space

[quote name='csidegamer']That is a good idea.

I was going to check the post office and see if they could find out anything with Customs.[/QUOTE]

The u.s. knows nothing about what goes on in canada, the best they could do is tell you if its still in american custody. You'd have to call canadian customs to figure out if its waiting to go through customs or at what point its at.

[quote name='csidegamer']That was what I thought too.

He has filed the complaint, but I have no option to dispute. Only resolve, which is wierd. I have 10 days to respond, but I am not going to automatically give him the money back.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, you already said that :lol:

Hmm, well maybe since you can't respond that means PayPal won't be giving him the money unless you agree to do it yourself? You could contact their support and ask why you don't have an option to dispute the claim.

[quote name='gaelan']i thought to win the dispute you just had to provide paypal the dc#

He seems to have bad luck on ebay[/QUOTE]

That will normally win a US paypal claim, if they do credit card chargeback you still get fucked.

Also 2 weeks is way to short a shipping period, paypal should tell him that he needs to wait a few work weeks for the item to arrive.

He left negs for 2 people, and doesn't understand the process either since he think one person giving three negs counts the same as three people giving negs.

[quote name='wubb']I've heard (I think CAG Haggar has posted this several times) that international buyers can't file PayPal complaints?
[/QUOTE]

International Buyers can file paypal complaints and with no tracking # they win everytime, has happened to me multiple times which is why I no longer ship outside of the US.

Just tell him the combination of the holidays and customs severly delays packages this time of year, and to please wait another 2-4 weeks for the package to clear. Also, offer to call up customs and try to find something out, or provide him with the info to do it himself.

Amd I agree- I doubt this guy's really trying to rip you off over a $5 overly-common PSone game. He's just stupid. :bouncy:

Well, I scanned the receipt and sent it to him.
We'll see how he reacts.

Paypal said to respond using the Custom's number as the tracking number.
Waiting for their results of the 'investigation'.

Hopefully they'll tell him to sit tight for a little while.

[quote name='Lexicon']International Buyers can file paypal complaints and with no tracking # they win everytime, has happened to me multiple times which is why I no longer ship outside of the US.[/QUOTE]

Ditto.

[quote name='csidegamer']Well, I scanned the receipt and sent it to him.
We'll see how he reacts.

Paypal said to respond using the Custom's number as the tracking number.
Waiting for their results of the 'investigation'.

Hopefully they'll tell him to sit tight for a little while.[/QUOTE]

Interesting.. I usually send stuff overseas in padded envelopes via USPS Airmail Letterpost without a customs form. Not only do they get there faster, but my buyer in France reported he didn't have to pay customs fees either... and a buyer in South Korea left me positive feedback a week after I sent it!

Not much you can do if you have to mail it in a box though.

Just an update.

As expected, Paypal refunded the guys money.
Even tho he was in Canada.

Ensuring that I will never ship outside the US again.

No feedbacks left yet, tho the guy send me an email the night before paypal refunded his $, saying he'd rather have the game than his money back. I said he should have contacted me first, before filing the complaint. I'd have worked it out.

Oh, well.

That sucks, but I guess it was to be excpeted (not that I agree with it at all). What amazes me is how many buyers expect you to ship internationally. I specifically state I only ship to the US in my listings and block international bidders and still get questions from them asking either 1. how much shipping is to their country (like they assume I will ship there but don't list the costs) 2. or people asking if I can make an exception and ship to them. I always say no, it just isn't worth the risk.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']That sucks, but I guess it was to be excpeted (not that I agree with it at all). What amazes me is how many buyers expect you to ship internationally. I specifically state I only ship to the US in my listings and block international bidders and still get questions from them asking either 1. how much shipping is to their country (like they assume I will ship there but don't list the costs) 2. or people asking if I can make an exception and ship to them. I always say no, it just isn't worth the risk.[/QUOTE]

That is what upsets me most. If I had stuck to my guns, I wouldn't be out the $11 + Game. He won, and I hadn't blocked international bidders (I do now).

Being only a $5 game courtesy of GameCrazy, I went ahead and shipped.

No More.

That used to be my mentality as well. I figured if I sold something that cost next to nothing (like I sold a used PS1 Car Adapter to someone in Canada that cost $5 at Gamestop after I found a new one for $10 at another Gamestop), there isn't a huge loss involved. But I figure, even if I only lose $5, it's still money and I hate the thought of the buyer eventually getting the delivery and getting the item for free as a result.

Yep, it all adds up.
Balance has to stay postive to buy the games I (and my kids) want.

I told him to enjoy it when it finally did arrive.

The buyer seems mildly reasonable (just very impatient.) So I'd send him a final e-mail that you expect it may eventually get to him, and if it does you would appreciate being repaid at that time. I wouldn't leave FB until it's been another month or two (as the guy really might decide to pay you again if it shows up, but if you neg him probably won't.)

Frankly, I wouldn't leave FB for the buyer at all unless he leaves it first. He'll just reply with something like "Never received game and had to go through PayPal for a refund. Bad Seller!" Which will look very bad on your record.

FWIW, you don't really have to flat out ban foreign buyers. eBay lets you choose the option that the buyer lives outside of your shipping area on a NPB complaint. I think for that complaint you don't have to wait 7 days and eBay refunds your fees pretty much immediately. But blocking them would avoid the whole situation altogether, of course.

[quote name='wubb']The buyer seems mildly reasonable (just very impatient.) So I'd send him a final e-mail that you expect it may eventually get to him, and if it does you would appreciate being repaid at that time. I wouldn't leave FB until it's been another month or two (as the guy really might decide to pay you again if it shows up, but if you neg him probably won't.)[/QUOTE]

I wasn't planning on leaving him feedback unless he did for me.

I did tone things down a bit. While he never swore, he did acuse me of fraud, and that I should be kicked off of ebay. When I had 100 + feedback at the time, and he had 4 (i believe), and instead of trying to work it out, went straight to paypal, after only two weeks.

[quote name='csidegamer']I wasn't planning on leaving him feedback unless he did for me.

I did tone things down a bit. While he never swore, he did acuse me of fraud, and that I should be kicked off of ebay. When I had 100 + feedback at the time, and he had 4 (i believe), and instead of trying to work it out, went straight to paypal, after only two weeks.[/QUOTE]

Ah yes, well perhaps he isn't really all that mildly reasonable.

I mean seriously, dude really thought you (with 100% FB) were going to defraud him on a $5 game? Ah well, at least it was a low dollar item and you've learned not to deal with Canadians ever again :lol:

[quote name='wubb']Ah yes, well perhaps he isn't really all that mildly reasonable.

I mean seriously, dude really thought you (with 100% FB) were going to defraud him on a $5 game? Ah well, at least it was a low dollar item and you've learned not to deal with Canadians ever again :lol:[/QUOTE]

He kept stating that it was impossible for the item to still be in customs.
He finally stopped when I asked if he worked at customs himself and could prove that. (all using the ebay forms so it was tracked as part of the dispute.)

Had he not be so obnoxious right away, I'd have sent him my complete copy.
(auction was for disc only)

[quote name='csidegamer']He kept stating that it was impossible for the item to still be in customs.
He finally stopped when I asked if he worked at customs himself and could prove that. (all using the ebay forms so it was tracked as part of the dispute.)

Had he not be so obnoxious right away, I'd have sent him my complete copy.
(auction was for disc only)[/QUOTE]
I hate when they act like total know-it-alls, but like I said atleast the guy will feel like absolute shit when the package arrives with the original shipdate and he realizes how much of an asshole he's been.

When I mailed off stuff after the 14th to canada, 2 items to be specific, they too jan before they were marked hitting customs and both buyers were complaining etc etc. I told them with the combo of how long it took them to pay, putting the shipping date during our busiest mailing time of the year, and the fact customs takes its time with packages that are shipped registered, its gonna be a few more days. Sure nough, both made it through fine and got good fb.

I dont mind shipping out of the us when it comes to pay pal anymore. If they wanna pay using pay pal, its mandatory registered shipping and insured.

[quote name='Stink_Pickle']When I mailed off stuff after the 14th to canada, 2 items to be specific, they too jan before they were marked hitting customs and both buyers were complaining etc etc. I told them with the combo of how long it took them to pay, putting the shipping date during our busiest mailing time of the year, and the fact customs takes its time with packages that are shipped registered, its gonna be a few more days. Sure nough, both made it through fine and got good fb.

I dont mind shipping out of the us when it comes to pay pal anymore. If they wanna pay using pay pal, its mandatory registered shipping and insured.[/QUOTE]

Funny, the guys ebay id was himsmusic (noticed your sig)
He sold all H.I.M. related items.

I didnt look, thats actually pretty funny. I think I ran across that Id looking for some HIM cd's and he had some pretty f'd up prices.

Yea Im pretty ticked im about to get ripped off a 360, which a buyer paid for it and 2 games, and filed a paypal dispute after 1 WEEK, and it was already in the air and arrived the very next to his house and he still havent withdrew the dispute with paypal, I had DC and insurance, DC claims it arrived to him saftly, I have 500+ feedback 99.8% feedback rating, he has 3 feedback 2 postives, and 1 negs. claims he never recieved it, and open a dispute and said if paypal doesent give him the refund his CC company will. Am I screwed? ohh my paypal is about -$700, so I NO have cash in their to cover it, so what will happen, will he win or me? and if he wins what would happen if I dont have the funds in my paypal account to cover it?

Same thing happened to me with Zelda: Minish Cap and a guy in Quebec. Screwed me out of the game and about $27 bucks! Since then, I've never sold to International addresses since I cannot track.

I only sell to U.S. addresses unless it's little piddly stuff (~$15 or less). The reason I didn't buy a 360 to sell was because I know I would get ripped off the same way on ebay. Not worth the risk. If the guy's still gonna be a dick and try to steal it even though you have proof I'm sure there's some way you can take him to small claims over it.

[quote name='SpartanWarrior']ohh my paypal is about -$700, so I NO have cash in their to cover it, so what will happen, will he win or me? and if he wins what would happen if I dont have the funds in my paypal account to cover it?[/QUOTE]

You will likely win if you have a tracking number.

Paypal will not charge your credit card or take funds out of your bank account if you lose and do not have the funds to cover it. You are simply stuck with a negative balance. On the bright side, the buyer will get nothing from Paypal but an email saying there are not enough funds to cover the chargeback.

I am currently in a very similar situation as the OP. Except in my case, it involves almost $200 of games (Lunar and Lunar 2) and shipping was to Australia. The buyer filed a Paypal dispute within 2 weeks of payment, even though shipping time is estimated at 4-6 weeks for the shipment method he selected. The buyer did not contact me at all before filing the dispute and ignored several of my emails. The buyer also had a couple other negatives in his feedback mentioning he had done a Paypal dispute, so it looks like he is a repeat offender. It was only when I threatened to leave negative Ebay feedback that he finally responded. Of course I have no tracking number, but did send a picture of the receipt clearly showing the details. I fully expect to lose. This will leave my Paypal account permanently at -$200 and bring an end to me accepting Paypal for payment.

Even with a substantial loss (ie. chargeback of 2 or 300) I can't justify not selling out of the u.s. I often can sell at a premium because I ship out of the u.s. Auctions of sealed older or particularly rare (but used) games go for substantially more to europeans. When items get expensive I'd say about 2/3rds of my bidders are outside the u.s. In the long term the gains make up for the short term loss.

just send via fedex ground or ups ground to canada, you can get tracking that way. I sold steel battalion on ebay to a canadian and shipped it via ups ground for $25 in ship charges. Most times it will be very expensive to ship one game this method(at least $10) so be sure to charge the canadians more for shipping.

[quote name='csidegamer']Just an update.

As expected, Paypal refunded the guys money.
Even tho he was in Canada.
Ensuring that I will never ship outside the US again.[/QUOTE]
You can sell to Canada. You just have to charge $20 for shipping (cost of Global Express/tracking). That's what I plan to do. No more free rides for Canadian scam artists.

If he gets the game, I bet he doesn't tell you!

troy

bread's done
Back