Cmosfm's brand new UPDATED collection pictures! CLASSY!

[quote name='JSweeney']I highly doubt it, unless the number of games in your possesion exceeds 800-1000 games.[/quote]

Oooohhh! I been smacked!

Well, I don't have a digital camera, so pics might take a little while to post -- but my collection starts with an Odyssey 1 w/a full set of games and overlays and ends with the batch of Xbox games that I picked up at the CC sale (coming down on 7/11 for the remainders from Toronto to do so).

I would say I probably have that 800-1000 covered. I just wish it was arranged as nicely as Cmosfm's. Most of the classic consoles (Fairchild Channel F, Odyssey 2, Atari 2600 & 5200, Inty and Colecovision) are in my "geek room" along with my Simpsons collection and wrestling vids (hey, it's a geek room!). By the downstairs TV I have my NES, Genny w/CD model 2, Saturn, N64, SNES, GC and Dreamcast. Upstairs I have the PS2 doing double duty as a games machine and to serve up Baby Einstein discs to my 11-month-old daughter.

However, this isn't a pull-it-out-and-see-who's-is-bigger contest. Besides the fact that Cmosfm would win, this thread is to celebrate his collection. To build such a collection, especially at his age (10 years my junior) is testament to his dedication and ability to find deals.

So, to bring this post back OT - Cmosfm, three questions:

1) When did you start collecting and do you focus on one system (or systems) more than the others? Or do you grab whatever you can get your hands on out in the wild?

2) What is that Pitfall game in between the FDS and Megaman?

3) Don't you hate the way that High Score! book sticks out from the bookshelf? I've tried storing it vertically, but that doesn't work either.

Love the Sesame Street Encyclopedia collection, especially the hard to find bookends!

Oooohhh! I been smacked!
That actually wasn't the intent. Since you are fairly new, I hadn't had time to get a proper read on you. There have been threads just like this where a kid would go on about how large his collection is, and then post an IGN list that had about 150 games on it. Since this has happened more often than, say, Cmosfm's (which is beyond cool), or Sneaky Penguin's (which is still pretty large at about a modest 7-800 games.)
It's easier to take the negative aproach when people talk about how huge thier collection is, because some people just don't appriecate what would be considered a large collection around here.

Well, I don't have a digital camera, so pics might take a little while to post -- but my collection starts with an Odyssey 1 w/a full set of games and overlays and ends with the batch of Xbox games that I picked up at the CC sale (coming down on 7/11 for the remainders from Toronto to do so).

I would say I probably have that 800-1000 covered. I just wish it was arranged as nicely as Cmosfm's. Most of the classic consoles (Fairchild Channel F, Odyssey 2, Atari 2600 & 5200, Inty and Colecovision) are in my "geek room" along with my Simpsons collection and wrestling vids (hey, it's a geek room!). By the downstairs TV I have my NES, Genny w/CD model 2, Saturn, N64, SNES, GC and Dreamcast. Upstairs I have the PS2 doing double duty as a games machine and to serve up Baby Einstein discs to my 11-month-old daughter.

Judging by this, I have no reason to doubt that you actually have what you say you do... it's just so common to see people rave on about tiny collections.. heck, the mods have even started to clamp down on "rate my collection" posts because there was a period where everyone and his brother was doing it.

However, this isn't a pull-it-out-and-see-who's-is-bigger contest. Besides the fact that Cmosfm would win, this thread is to celebrate his collection. To build such a collection, especially at his age (10 years my junior) is testament to his dedication and ability to find deals.

Exactly. I think I may have taken too negative an approach to your first post. When I first read it, it seemed like you were trying to steal a little bit of thunder from Cmosfm. Considering how you've posted afterwards, that is obviously not the case.

1) When did you start collecting and do you focus on one system (or systems) more than the others? Or do you grab whatever you can get your hands on out in the wild?

I'm curious about that too. I'll pick stuff up when I see a good deal on it, but I've never got to the point where I've been buying in bulk..
Which do you think you did more, Buy other people's whole collections, or buy things piece by piece.

Seeing that arcade game makes me realize how much I want that Time Soldier cabinet that I could have had for $40 and passed up.
I doesn't help that I see the cabinet at the flea market marked up to 200+ by the same moron that tries to charge 20+ dollars for even common NES and Saturn games. Needless to say, I've never bought anything from him.[/b]

I'm curious though... where is your Xbox?
You mention buying Xbox games, but don't mention where the Xbox is. I'd assume that it's by the PS2 ,
since you seem to have your stuff organized by era, but it's absent in you're listing of where you set your stuff out.

[quote name='Fanboy']

2) What is that Pitfall game in between the FDS and Megaman?

3) Don't you hate the way that High Score! book sticks out from the bookshelf? I've tried storing it vertically, but that doesn't work either.

Love the Sesame Street Encyclopedia collection, especially the hard to find bookends![/quote]

Yay!

1. I can't remember the exact date, but I've always been a HUGE gaming fan. I always dreamed of a massive collection...so about 2 years ago I said "I want to collect games", and I did. I don't pay a lot for em, but I do have a ton invested, not enough to break the bank and if need be I could profit off of every single item in there.

2. I recently picked that up at a thrift store, it's a couple years old...it's a handheld made ny Excalibur. Some off brand company with a odd "mission statement" in there manual. nothing special

3. Yeah, that damn High Score book was a great read, but a bitch to store! I don't know why they just didn't opt for a regular size book. :(

The big bird bookends, I lucked up on them in a "bargain store" for 1.00, too bad that was all that was in there worth buying. Cept for the mom n' pop rental store next door...cleared them out of 100 boxed NES and SNES games for 100.00. Ohhhh that was a NICE day.

How much duplication are you having to deal with? Since most of your purchases appear to be large lots, it seems like some overlap would happen... do you then go to ebay with the extra and then reinvest the profit into some new finds?

Great collection! One question, though. Do you own your house? Please say you do as I wouldn't want to move all that stuff! And, of course, something ALWAYS gets broken when you move.

Didn't finish answering Fanboys first question...Focusing on one system or grabbing whatever I can find.

More often than not, I grab whatever I can find, I usually never turn anything down that's cheap (dirt cheap) unless I have it, don't want it (which isn't often) or isn't up to my collector standards (loose Genesis games, ugh)

Right now I'm big on my NES, I was big on collecting 32X and Game.com until I completed those collections. I've been slacking on Genesis lately because they take up SO MUCH ROOM boxed and I can't stand em loose. I really want some more Vectrex games but can't find em

[quote name='JSweeney']
I'm curious about that too. I'll pick stuff up when I see a good deal on it, but I've never got to the point where I've been buying in bulk..
Which do you think you did more, Buy other people's whole collections, or buy things piece by piece.[/b][/quote]

Most of it was piece by piece. Lemme break it down by some kinda random off the top of my head percentage...

20% - Video store buyouts of classic games. Lots of boxed stuff from those.

20% - bulk flea market or clearance purchases. For instance, bringing home a large box of Atari stuff I got for 20.00 or the recent 250.00 I spent at Circuit City (with just enough extras to resell to fund the purchase).

50% - here and there purchases. A few games from goodwill, a game from salvation army, 2 from the pawn shop, 1 from EB, etc etc. Biggest bunch here

10% - eBay & Online Trading - yes, eBay is not good for collectors and I recommend staying FAR FAR away from it...unless you have an urge for imports or rare stuff you need to complete a collection. And online trading is great, on CAG or Tradegamesnow or Digital Press...It can help a lot if you have something someone else really wants!

[quote name='JSweeney']How much duplication are you having to deal with? Since most of your purchases appear to be large lots, it seems like some overlap would happen... do you then go to ebay with the extra and then reinvest the profit into some new finds?[/quote]

Right now my doubles are very low, I need to sell em off actually. WHat I normally do is sell my doubles to fund my purchases. Smart shopping really, I don't like to spend a lot so If I find a few games out or happen to pick up a few games I already have...they go on eBay.

@bradr - I still live at home....and my mother owns her house, so no moving the stuff till I move out. ANd that ain't happening any time soon, gotta get my store up and running a little better first

[quote name='"Cmosfm']
@bradr - I still live at home....and my mother owns her house, so no moving the stuff till I move out. ANd that ain't happening any time soon, gotta get my store up and running a little better first[/quote]

That's cool. As long as it's a place that's permanent so you can take your time and be very careful with your collection when you move. Good luck with your store, hopefully when it's all settled, you'll post some pictures of it for us, too!

It's not a game store though, surprisingly, it's a Jewelry "kiosk" in my local mall. It's all settled and everything, just been paying off the debts slowly but surely.

Judging by what defender has said, that is probably a good thing.
According to him, the profit margins absolutely suck for videogames, and the productive shelflife of a game is tiny compared to that of jewerly.

Yeah, on Jewelry the profit margin can be anywhere from 100% to a whopping 1000% or more on single items.

Games are sometimes lucky to pull 100% profit.

Although, one day, I hope to own a game store. Sorta more out of love for the hobby than profit.

[quote name='Cmosfm']Although, one day, I hope to own a game store. Sorta more out of love for the hobby than profit.[/quote]

As far as I've gleaned from Defender, that is the only way to do it. It's a cool job that fills the soul, not the pockets.

ps. JSweeney - No offence taken whatsoever. :D I've been witness to delusional collection postings before. While my post might have come off as yet another, especially with the lack of pics to back it up, it was merely meant to bolster the already heaping praise foisted upon Cmosfm's impressive collection, albeit from one who has been down a similar path.

And the Xbox? Don't own one yet. But as I most certainly will one day there's no reason not to buy games, especially when they were so deliciously priced.

JSweeney - No offence taken whatsoever :D
Good. It's one of these little problems inherent to the nature of the internet. Had it been a face to face conversation, that never would have happened.

I've been witness to delusional collection postings before. While my post might have come off as yet another, especially with the lack of pics to back it up, it was merely meant to bolster the already heaping praise foisted upon Cmosfm's impressive collection, albeit from one who has been down a similar path.

Yeah. Getting pictures often is a slow process. I have a couple of pictures of my collection in my personal gallery on the site, but it's one of those things that are so low on the hierarchy of things to do that it never gets done.

And the Xbox? Don't own one yet. But as I most certainly will one day there's no reason not to buy games, especially when they were so deliciously priced.

Makes sense to me. Worse case, you just trade them in or sell them for a profit, or you already have a built in library by the time you decide to buy one.

[quote name='Cmosfm']Self employeed, and you be surprised at how cheap some of this stuff can come if you know how to shop and STAY AWAY FROM EBAY!

@coolcps - 21 years old![/quote]

You put this 23 year older to shame. Im going to cry now. Excuse me. :cry:

[quote name='bone_matrix']Your collection rocks man! I'm very impressed, and in fact, i need to find my turtle cereal bowl.

My one question...

Spongebob Squarepants sheets? I mean....Spongebob?[/quote]

Hey I got a spongebob matress set, if you are dissin Spongebob you can step.

Wow...Just wow. This definitely makes me wanna set my collection up nicer. Right now, I have games strewn all over the house, with no specific rhyme or reason to where they are. Hell, I was looking for my copy of ESPN NFL 2K5 yesterday, and I ended up finding it in the kitchen for some reason. Definitely need to buy something like the black shelves where your next gen games and DVDs are. Still...Amazingly awesome collection. Just wow.

bread's done
Back