CoD: Black Ops Worth the Money?

Distortiontm

CAGiversary!
Hey all,

I've never been much of a pre-order kind of guy (except for FFXIII ;D), but I have recently become aware of the Game Credit deals that Amazon.com has offering on their games lately. Following the chain of pre-order ---> GC ---> pre-order ---> etc. I should theoretically be able to get most of the next few month's AAA titles for $40 brand-spankin'-new!

Question: Is the "Hardened Edition" of COD:BO worth the extra $20, even with the $20 GC?

http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Bla..._8?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1282707818&sr=1-8

According to the page, you get:

- Limited edition Black Ops Collector's Medal with display case
- 4 extra playable co-op maps not in the standard edition
- Exclusive Black Ops Xbox LIVE avatar outfit
- Premium, special-edition SteelBook™ case
- Call of Duty: Black Ops full game​

I'm mostly looking at the 4 bonus co-op maps, which will most likely be released as DLC sometime after the launch for about 800-1200 MS Points (total guess).

BASICALLY my question is.... is it worth it?

Personally, you're better off with the standard edition w/ the $20 game credit. With microsoft points being discounted lately, like Amazon.com for $16.54 - you might as well just buy some microsoft points for when the map-pack is put up on the marketplace. Unless, you REALLY gotta play those "ZOMBIE MAPS" day one.

EDIT: Heck, remember COD: Classic being included with MW2 Hardened and Prestige editions? They put COD:Classic on sale for 800 microsoft points for a week (33% off) You can likely expect the same for the "ZOMBIE MAPS" down the road.

It's a pretty nice collector's edition, but usually these go down quite a bit shortly after release. For World at War, I was able to get a brand new copy of the collector's edition 3 weeks after it came out from Amazon WareHouse Deals for $48. It was still new and included everything. The collector's tin, the game, the canteen, even the DLC codes.

Of course, I might have been very lucky to score one from their Warehouse deals however. But also the Hardened Edition of MW2 went for about $40-$50 not too long after it was out as well.

Unless you're tired of the same old gameplay, the ridiculously glitchy and unfair online multiplayer, and the very short single player campaign that comes with every COD game, then give it a try.

I gave up on the FPS genre after playing though every camper-plagued online multiplayer map and mode on MW2. I don't know how people can put up with so much bullshit (racist twelve-year-olds calling you spic/jew/$$$$er, rage quitters, lag, campers, etc.) just to get those prestige emblems.

It usually takes awhile for Call of Duty to go down in price, so I say go for the preorder with the $20 credit/gift card. Though I'd pass on the hardened edition - not worth the extra money.

[quote name='black_hand313']It usually takes awhile for Call of Duty to go down in price, so I say go for the preorder with the $20 credit/gift card. Though I'd pass on the hardened edition - not worth the extra money.[/QUOTE]

Modern Warfare 2 actually dropped in price fairly quickly. World at War however held it's own for quite a while. Even now the cheapest I've seen it is $39.99.

[quote name='crr_1119']Modern Warfare 2 actually dropped in price fairly quickly. World at War however held it's own for quite a while. Even now the cheapest I've seen it is $39.99.[/QUOTE]

Best Buy had World at War for $35 at the end of December 2008, and amazon had it for $30 just a week or two after that. The price then climbed back up for quite a while, and was on sale for $19.99 earlier this year.

So I'd say you might be able to get a good deal Dec '10 or Jan '11, but if you will be buying more games within a few months after Black Ops launches anyway, then you can basically get Black Ops for $40 for the regular edition or $60 for the hardened edition at launch.

Basically it comes down to whether you want the medal, the outfit, and the zombie maps, or if you like the steelbook cases. If you get the standard edition, you will probably be able to trade for/buy the outfit and maps here or on ebay, but if you want the medal, then you will be adding the cost of shipping to get that.

If the maps turn out to be the same as the ones in World at War, then I don't really see the need for them, just throw your W@W disc in and play (assuming you have all 3 map packs).

I generally enjoy the campaigns in these games, even though they're kinda short. I do think they Treyarch games are a little longer than the IW games(maybe it's just me). I'll probably get this near launch, because I know alot of my friends will be playing this online for another year straight as well(even though I don't like the multi-player much, I can ALWAYS find someone I know to play with). I really did dig the zombie thing too, but I never wanted to pay $10 a piece for the maps, cause I had no interest in the deathmatch maps, so I am interested in the Hardened as well. I'm just waiting to hear if they updated them at all, if you can team with people playing WaW, etc. Either way, I'm leaning towards it, and I'll have a $20 credit to use on it, and get another with it. I say keep the Amazon train rolling along and keep getting new releases at $40 a pop(or $60 for the CE). You could always get it, beat it in a week, then flip it back for a good $30-35 or so if you have edge, or on eBay.

With Halo Reach coming out? Hell no.

and whats that bullshit with 4 co-op maps not being included in the regular edition! Activision is selling gimped games! fuck that shit.

bread's done
Back