Cold Stone Creameries potentially in the shitter

[quote name='manthing']Didn't know about the Orland Park one, but I knew about the Naperville one, it's by one of my uncle's.

Do you know if it's in the same strip mall as the Best Buy*? Or is it in the self standing building where the Gamestop is?

*The Best Buy that was an Omni like 20 years ago. I remember Omni had these Spider-Man chips that were just Munchos in web shapes...

I miss those[/quote]

In the Best Buy strip. And I think i remember Onmi, too.

I didn't realize there was such a strong hate for Cold Stone and it's employees. You do realize that the ones working there are CAGs.

And also, to the one that said 4.05 for gas. That sounds awesome. I have to pay 4.70-4.80 here.

Why should it be surprising that Cheap Ass Gamers don't go for Expensive Ass Ice Cream?

I've been to both Cold Stone and Marble Slab once.

Cold Stone ended up being more than $5 for more ice cream than I could eat. I chose one of their recipes which came with white chocolate chips. They were the large chips, which, when put in ice cream, become inedible teeth-breaking rocks. The rest tasted fine, but first I hated paying that much, then I hated wasting the food I paid for.

Marble Slab served me Blueberry Cheesecake, one of my favorite flavors. Except theirs featured an unappetizing mix of freeze-dried blueberries and fresh but unripe blueberries in a sugar sauce, over ice cream that didn't taste like cheesecake at all. It had the distinction of being both the most expensive Blueberry Cheesecake I'd ever had and the absolute worst.

[quote name='Maklershed']Thats surprising. I always thought the Asian populous had very high rates of lactose intolerance.[/QUOTE]

reported for racism.

[quote name='dcfox']reported for racism.[/quote]

Are you sure? I know a lot of Asian people who can't eat cheese.

I can say that the new soft serve ice cream from baskin robbins is good. Right now they're having a buy 1 get 1 free on the "31 below" things. It's basically like a blizzard from dairy queen.

If anyone has a Ritter's frozen cusatrd near them, they're also very good.

I'm actually working at one for the summer, and I feel bad for people paying $5 for an ice cream. After my 50% discount I feel like the prices are decent, but nothing special (I get something for free whenever I work so I rarely have a desire to use the discount).

As far as people leaving tips on top of it, I get annoyed that some of my coworkers feel like they're entitled to tips knowing how much the ice cream costs, but that said without tips I'd be better off trying to find another job (I only took this because they were the first place to call and hire me and I've learned from past summers that working an extra 2 weeks by taking the first job is better than waiting and possibly making a dollar or two more an hour). Also it's probably the easiest summer job I've ever had.

The people who own the one I'm working at own a few others too and seem to feel like they're doing alright, so clearly it isn't an issue with all cold stones.

[quote name='Xevious']Are you sure? I know a lot of Asian people who can't eat cheese.[/QUOTE]

It isn't that they can't eat cheese. It's that they don't like to eat cheese. My wife is Asian and won't touch cheese unless it is thoroughly melted. If it solidifies in the least she won't touch it. She says it is because her family never ate any kind of dairy products when she was growing up and things like milk and cheese seem disgusting to her.

[quote name='pacifickarma']It isn't that they can't eat cheese. It's that they don't like to eat cheese. My wife is Asian and won't touch cheese unless it is thoroughly melted. If it solidifies in the least she won't touch it. She says it is because her family never ate any kind of dairy products when she was growing up and things like milk and cheese seem disgusting to her.[/quote]

Which is the complete opposite of my wife, who is French and eats cheeses that smell like they should be quarantined.

And I've never been to a Cold Stone, and at those prices I'm glad. Could get a pint of Haagan Dazs for $2 less than that.

[quote name='pacifickarma']It isn't that they can't eat cheese. It's that they don't like to eat cheese. My wife is Asian and won't touch cheese unless it is thoroughly melted. If it solidifies in the least she won't touch it. She says it is because her family never ate any kind of dairy products when she was growing up and things like milk and cheese seem disgusting to her.[/quote]

From what I heard, some Asian people lack an enzyme that does not allow their stomachs to properly digest diary products. I'm not sure if that is the reason that the people I know do not eat cheese though; I never bothered to ask them...

Sounds pretty regional on their quality, and in some cases, prices. The near me, I pay em 5 bucks and I get whatever specialty I want in the largest size. Premium price? Sure, but hell, like all restaurant stuff, it's gonna be overpriced compared to doing it yourself.

My local one is awesome in quality. I do wish they'd shut the fuck up though with the singing, if I tip them, I tell em they better NOT sing if they want the tip. Thankfully they comply. Never gotten the shits offa' my local one's product.

And Dairy Queen? Eeeeaugh... I love em as a kid, but man... their stuff is souless trash in comparison to ColdStone or the stuff I can buy from a grocery store. Could be my local ones just SUCK.

And yeah I miss TCBY as well, didn't they do a lot of frozen yogurt? Gawd that stuff was good there.

[quote name='JolietJake']That 70% of humans is hard to believe, considering how much dairy is in a lot of different foods.[/quote]

I'm lactose intolerant, but it doesn't stop me from eating most dairy. It does slow me down a little, and I can't have yogurt or straight milk at all. But some things are simply too good to give up (damned neufchatel, provalone, and ricotta). I can believe that most people are intolerant but simply choose to ignore a couple of farts or a quick stomachache. It's not like it's a full blown deadly allergy (for most).

Most mammals become lactose intolerant after weaning. It's just that adults from a lot of Europe are more lactose tolerant than most other people in the world.

I have some lactose intolerance. Like VioletArrows, milk and yogurt is too much for my body. I've even attempted drinking raw milk and it was only slightly better.

However, I can eat cheese, frozen yogurt, and ice cream.

Staying on topic, I used to like Cold Stone until I realized how many artificial additives they put in to make it so creamy. I found a new local ice cream store that's wayyyyy better. I think it made Forbes magazine recently or something.

went there once, found the prices insane and haven't been since. There ice cream cakes are good tho.

Question: Why do you guys go to chains to get Ice Cream? There are several mom-and-pop ice cream places in my little New England town alone.....although this could be a regional thing.

Visiting friends down in TX I was horrified that the only pizza those poor bastards get to eat all comes from chain stores, the concept of a mom-and-pops local pizzaria is a completely foreign concept down there. I damn near cried.

[quote name='VioletArrows']I'm lactose intolerant, but it doesn't stop me from eating most dairy. It does slow me down a little, and I can't have yogurt or straight milk at all. But some things are simply too good to give up (damned neufchatel, provalone, and ricotta). I can believe that most people are intolerant but simply choose to ignore a couple of farts or a quick stomachache. It's not like it's a full blown deadly allergy (for most).[/quote]

I'm somewhat lactose intolerant and eat dairy exceedingly sparingly.

I can believe that 70% stat - I bet most people are intolerant without even knowing it - I didn't. As soon as I stopped eating dairy almost all of my allergies magically disappeared (I now only have sinus issues when I go running in the smoggy city) and I feel way better. I simply can't eat icecream, it's way too rich and will just come right back up.

[quote name='doraemonkerpal']According to Wikipedia, 90% of Asian Americans have lactose intolerance and an estimated 70% of adult humans are too.[/quote]

I guess I'm in the lucky 10% because I'm filipino, born in the Philippines, lactose tolerant, and I love pizza, cheese sandwiches, strawberry cheese cakes, ice cream, and most other dairy products. :drool:

[quote name='HeadRusch']Question: Why do you guys go to chains to get Ice Cream? There are several mom-and-pop ice cream places in my little New England town alone.....although this could be a regional thing.[/quote]

Depends in some cases. There are two local places around here that do their own (save for restaurants that do their own) but since they moved their downtown location they only have stores on opposite ends of town. It's pretty difficult to get to either by foot from campus or nearby homes (20+ minutes on average depending upon starting point) and while it's a relatively fast drive (5 minutes) the gas prices and their poor locations (not really near anything else of note) don't help.

Good stuff, though. They have a fantastic lemon cream one, in fact. Great, now I'm jonesing. Thanks. ;)

Visiting friends down in TX I was horrified that the only pizza those poor bastards get to eat all comes from chain stores, the concept of a mom-and-pops local pizzaria is a completely foreign concept down there. I damn near cried.

What makes me cry are all of the mom & pops around here who try to emulate a particular regional style (Chicago deep dish, NY slices) and utterly fail since they're trying to copy the major chain's approach to those. In fact, that's all they ever copy. I get sick of overly puffy dough, mediocre sauce, and subpar cheese for $12 to $14 for a large. It also doesn't help when I can get some amazing pies back in NY for $9, large, with buffalo mozzarella, fresh basil, and homemade sauce cooked daily with some San Marzano tomatoes.

And bastardized Chicago deep dishes make me cry. Really cry. Don't make your crust thicker, send it through a conveyor belt and call it anything relating to the Chicago classic, please.

...god, I take pizza too seriously. :lol:

I'd kill for a real NY style pizza. I've wanted to try the mellow mushroom here, heard they're pretty good. Theres also a small chain place called NYPD pizza i want to try out.

Here in the NorthEast pizza is either Italian or Greek......or Chain :) PizzaHut and Dominos make something they call pizza, but its not.

Otherwise its "really thin crust shaped in a triangle? New York"...."thicker, greasier and cut in squares? Greek!" :D

I've seen a few shows on the history channel that show old pizza places who still use coal fired ovens. The pizzas those places were making looked soo good. These were place that were started by early Italian immigrants and were mostly still family owned.

You haven't had pizza until you've had pizza in Naples, Italy. God that shit was so good. Pizza was cooked in less than a minute and cheap too. Only 3 euro for 1. Cheap dinner!

[quote name='jaykrue']I guess I'm in the lucky 10% because I'm filipino, born in the Philippines, lactose tolerant, and I love pizza, cheese sandwiches, strawberry cheese cakes, ice cream, and most other dairy products. :drool:[/QUOTE]
Most of those Asian generalizing does not apply to us. I.E. small eyes and pale skin versus our big eyes and dark skin :lol:. We carry more Pacific Islander traits. A lot of filipinos have Spanish descent as well so that may factor into it.

Personally I don't know any filipino person that can't handle dairy. Seems like everyone in my family loves the stuff as well. I can't drink enough milk.

[quote name='CouRageouS']Most of those Asian generalizing does not apply to us. I.E. small eyes and pale skin versus our big eyes and dark skin :lol:. We carry more Pacific Islander traits. A lot of filipinos have Spanish descent as well so that may factor into it.

Personally I don't know any filipino person that can't handle dairy. Seems like everyone in my family loves the stuff as well. I can't drink enough milk.[/quote]

I'm filipino and have had no problem with dairy at all my entire life. Then again, I'm descendent from Spanish. But back to Stone Cold Creamery. The only thing I ever purchased there was the Birthday Cake ice cream and it was pretty good but over priced. I never thought the "gourmet" ice cream shop was a good business model.

[quote name='CouRageouS']Personally I don't know any filipino person that can't handle dairy. Seems like everyone in my family loves the stuff as well. I can't drink enough milk.[/quote]
la la la...

Looking at how the thread is moving.. I could really go for some good Italian and ice cream. I agree on the mom and pop shops.. there's one in MN that I think beats Coldstone (in taste and price, I think).

Also TCBY is expensive, I suppose not as much as Coldstone.. I remember back in high school when people sold those candy bars.. on the wrapper ahd a Buy 1 Get 1 deal and that's how I knew of it. But then again.. that's probably the only reason why I went to Coldstone, the coupons and free ice cream on your birthday.

I used to go to Marble Slab in Orlando. Thank god, I never heard anyone singing. It was good, but definately too expensive. I have a frozen custard place near me that rules!

I realize this thread has veered far off its initial course but I feel like I should mention that if you have a Cold Stone near you, you should register online for the birthday club. They just emailed me a link to a personal coupon good for one medium signature creation which would usually run me almost five bucks.

CAIC = Cheap Ass Ice Cream

I stopped at one on the way to an hour away reception after a wedding for the first time.
No singing, expensive, but good. Shared the big size with the wife and we couldn't finish the whole thing.

[quote name='Pookymeister']I stopped at one on the way to an hour away reception after a wedding for the first time.
No singing, expensive, but good. Shared the big size with the wife and we couldn't finish the whole thing.[/quote]

Did you tipped? They don't sing if you don't tip. I guess thats good for me and bad for them.

[quote name='blueweltall']Did you tipped? They don't sing if you don't tip. I guess thats good for me and bad for them.[/quote]

No, I didn't tip. Didn't really strike me as somewhere you would be expected to tip either

Expensive, overrated and sweet as hell. I literally had three spoonfuls and tossed it. Not worth the money at all.

Got better ice cream from Carvel for less and that's not saying much.

Not to hijack this thread but cold stone ice cream is really really fattening, even moreso than regular ice cream. If you sign up for their birthday club they give you a coupon good for a signature creation or something, I went there last year with that coupon and it wasn't that impressive. After finding out the calorie and fat content I won't go back though even if its free, its just insane. It didn't make me sick though and I have a REALLY sensitive stomach so much so that almost anything I eat that doesn't come out of my own kitchen makes me sick (except for other people's home made food). Perhaps there is a risk to mixing ice cream on a marble slab without washing it off..

bread's done
Back