Collector's Edition or Regular: What do u prefer? (POLL)

sails

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Sure you get a nice metal case and an art book and a making-of-the-game-DVD....but you also get two pieces of cardboard that hold your game discs....

=/

What's your take on to buy CE or not?

There seems to be a whole lot of Xbox games following this format as of late. GOW, Lost Planet, Oblivion, etc.

After picking up the Viva Pinata LE, I have to say I prefer the regular editions. I usually only watch the extra videos once and am not interested in the other extras. The cases are irritating to me as well and I prefer to have a standard bookcase.

-Bob

I'll pick up the CE if there's a bonus disc of some sort... don't care about the packaging though. I guess it's my collector's mentality acting up. Thankfull it hasn't turned me into a packrat.

All depends on the $$$

I never buy any game unless I'm saving off retail... except for Chaos Theory and Halo 2. Which I bought LE.

My Halo 2 is now all rusted up.

Is this even worth a thread? How about a thread, new game on release at cost or new game when it hits greatest hits months down the road?

I won't buy 99% of games at their outrageous full price. Let alone another gouge-worthy $10 on top of that for a 5 minute video you that's worse than free coverage on the internet.

I prefer the version that gets blown out for $10. If it is the CE and doesn't have an annoying case that disrupts my storage system, then I'll get that.

I prefer the regular versions.. the extra content the collectors versions include is usually completely useless. I don't really care for the tins either, since they sometimes take up more room on my shelf.

Regular editions for me. The content in the majority of CE nowadays is all the same and there's really nothing special that makes one stand out from the others.

I just get regular editions, the collector's editions are all shitty self-congratulatory "behind the scenes" videos and sometimes an art book that I'll never even pick up and a (admittedly nice-looking, usually) tin to put it in.

The tin isn't worth the extra $10 though.

If there's a soundtrack in down for the CE, or like for Command & Conquer 3 I'll probably be buying the "Kane (i.e. Collectors) edition" because of what comes with it. I will most likely never watch any behind the scenes or making of crap because that's just time that I could be playing the game.

Depends on a number of factors.

How much I want the game
If it's a game I've been looking forward to a long time (RE4, Lost Planet, FFXII) then there's a higher chance I'll get the CE.

The case
I wanted the Gears CE, but the case was horrible so I didn't get it. I prefer the steel book cases like the one FFXII came in. Anything else and I begin to doubt. As was mentioned the other tins, like the Gears one, just look odd on the shelf.

Contents
If the contents are crappy, then I'll pass. This one is obvious.

I put them in order of importance. A game I really want I'll almost always buy the CE for it. Mainly because I'm a semi-collector when it comes to things I like.

It depends on the content but I usually go for the CE. However, if the extra stuff is just a making of DVD and nothing else, then I'll just get the regular edition because it will eventually be on YouTube.

I must admit that I've been holding back on CE's as of late. $70 is a lot of money just for one game.

[quote name='CAG 79']It depends on the content but I usually go for the CE. However, if the extra stuff is just a making of DVD and nothing else, then I'll just get the regular edition because it will eventually be on YouTube.

I must admit that I've been holding back on CE's as of late. $70 is a lot of money just for one game.[/quote]

Very true.

It really depends on the game. Working Designs really went nuts with their bonus content, which I thought was awesome. Likewise, their games were more expsensive than others, but they did the whole CE/LE thing justice.

There's a few factors that I look into:

- The game itself: unless it's a game I've been wanting for a long time (i.e. Halo 2, Gears of War, etc.) I'll likely pass.

- The bonus content: if it's only some "making of" stuff, I'll pass. However, if the bonus content is other games or characters (i.e. Doom 3, Jade Empire), then I'm much more likely to get the CE. Tin cases are always a welcome bonus.

- The cost: I don't mind paying an extra $5-10 if the CE meets the above criteria, but if the CE is anymore than that I'll more than likely pass.

i always end up with a regular, if your lucky to find a CE at the same price as regular i would get CE but that never happens.

I will buy the CE if it is a series of AAA games I like or think I'll like... Gears of War, Oblivion, Halo 2. All three of thos titles were a good purchase IMO. But I do NOT buy CEs of non-AAA titles unless there's a good reason to. This method usually keeps me away from the crap, but not everything. I bought the LE of Perfect Dark Zero, and while I LOVE the case, the extras just weren't worth the price of entry.

Someone else said $70 is a lot to pay, and that's a very valid point. $50 to $60 didn't seem as big of a jump as $60 to $70. The Halo 3 Legendary edition is just ridiculous. Its cool in a dorky sort of way, but for $100, I'd rather buy the regular edition and spend the extra jack on something useful.

bread's done
Back