College-Bound CAG's

imamanwithaplan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
63 (100%)
So, Im a high school senior this year and I'll be heading off to UC Santa Barbara next year. Are there any other CAG's going there? It would be tight to meet up next year when we don't know anyone.

I suggest living in the dorms at UCSB for at least one year, maybe two. It'll help level out the drinking-to-studying ratio, plus it's really easy to get to your classes/the beach (unless you get stuck at FT, try not to get placed there).

Also, watch out for skunks.

Well I am a Junior in high school at the moment, however already seeming to being overtaken by Senioritis.

I have been looking at Notre Dame, TCU, or even U of M. The only problem is I have no idea whatsoever to what I want to major in, and that is a huge part of choosing a college. I have the grades (about a 102 GPA) to get about anywhere spare Ivy, and then on the SAT I got an 1800 my first go around and am planning on actually studying the second time.

I was also considering going to a Community College my first year for the cheaper route and allow me to take more diverse classes to help find some-what of a calling. But I don't know if its even worthy to do that if I can get to a college that offers some scholarships and therefore being able to savior that first year of freedom.

Man. Senior year will be hectic.

What are you guys looking at majoring in?

ATK: there is absolutely no reason to go straight from HS to college, especially if you don't know what you want to do. i regret doing it. now, about to graduate (computer engineering), i'm in panic mode. this is fairly common among my friends, especially those who chose less lucrative degrees (read: most of them). i envy the hell out of my friends that are still working entry-level jobs, cashiering at the grocery store or whatever... they get to have way more fun (you can bag groceries with a hangover, can't take an exam) and have way more spending money (by "way more" i mean "a non-negative amount" -- debt sucks and tuition's steep). i was in your shoes, i know how enticing it seems to jump straight to college but it's a bad idea for most people. there's no rush. admissions actually prefers older applicants and your peers wont even know your age... i'm 23 now and i really, really, really wish i had waited until i was 25 or so to start college. i still would've gone, i'm not saying college is bad or anything, but i'd have rathered start later for quite a few reasons, reasons i wasn't able to see clearly until it was too late. i'm so damn envious of my entry-level non-college friends, they all have kickass lives, less stress and far more options for the future, where-as i'm stuck with grueling schedules, debt, and am too far down a track that i was forced to choose too early... give it a second thought.

I was thinking of getting into Law of some kind. Mainly focusing on Economics and maybe Political Science. And I figured if that gets screwy in Texas, at least, you do not need a teaching degree to become a teacher so I could always fall back on that.

But mind you I have had some pretty crazy aspirations in the past.

At first it was just a general Chef, then I decided to look into specializing in on Pastry Chef, focusing primarily on cakes, then it was primarily Medical. But I think I am going to stick with the idea of Law.

I will take into consideration of just waiting, but to be honest I don't see that happening. I want to go to college mainly to learn. I am not really interested in partying or getting wasted (due to the fact that I don't drink). Call me boring (I would use the word nerdy/geeky, but we are all on a video game forum and I think that is geeky enough in itself) but I am excited about the learning and the intramural sports/activities.

don't go to college if you don't know what you're going for.

go once you decide. spending money to go to college to try a few classes/get your general requirements done to "find out" doesn't work.

if you feel you must, go to community college for that trial. don't get sucked in to the college hype/bullshit.

ATK, what I recommend putting yourself in your shoes 20 years from now and ask yourself if I major in this, would I still enjoy doing it 20 years from now. It's tough to pick a major or even decide if college is right for you. Even if you don't go right after high school, it's still ok to take time and think. Sometimes going later in life is better, since some people will be more mature.

I would not recommend community college unless you need the money saved. Basically because of how transferring credits over. Sure each school is different but I know my college, some classes will not count if taken at a community college.

[quote name='crystalklear64']don't go to college if you don't know what you're going for.

go once you decide. spending money to go to college to try a few classes/get your general requirements done to "find out" doesn't work.
[/QUOTE]

This advice is 100% critical. Some majors have sequences that require you to start from the first semester, otherwise you will have to take a bunch of fucking hard classes in the same semester or spend an extra semester or two there.

[quote name='Malik112099']ugh..im bound for graduate school....getting my MBA...possibly a Masters of Management too[/QUOTE]

I'm with this cat ^^. Starting this fall for my M.S. in either Telecom or MIS.

Either way, though, academia is not what it used to be. A bachelor's is cursory, so it's not special anymore, and it's basically been dumbed down so anyone can obtain it as long as they have a pulse, which is what not what higher education is about.

Trust me, it will piss you off when you see the kids who are in college because their parents are paying for it, along with their BMW, rent, food, DUI/Lawyer bills and are failing out and destroying the value of a degree.

Not too sure if your statement is major specific Zodiii. But the business schools here in the midwest are pretty well known and accredited. Not as dumbed down as you play.

Also I am one of those that has their parents pay for college, bought my Mazda 6, half rent, and helped me with a OWI charge; still manage to carry a 3.2 GPA

[quote name='Steggy']Not too sure if your statement is major specific Zodiii. But the business schools here in the midwest are pretty well known and accredited. Not as dumbed down as you play.

Also I am one of those that has their parents pay for college, bought my Mazda 6, half rent, and helped me with a OWI charge; still manage to carry a 3.2 GPA[/QUOTE]

It is major specific, as I can think of many programs you absolutely will not make it through from the university I went to (Oklahoma State) unless you give it 100% of your effort. Engineering, architecture, biology, and chemistry are definitely some big ones. Basically, the hard sciences are still good, but the "Arts" seem to be lacking, imo.

It is a rather general statement. I'm sure there a many people who's parents helped them and do rather well, but I see many people who basically blow their college education and it seems to be people who have their way paid. I feel college administrators should be far more strict when it comes to individual student academics. A college student should be held to higher standards.

I am also in the midwest, and I wasn't saying they aren't good schools and they aren't well accredited.

I feel that academia is watered down, it's not what it used to be/should be. I don't think students are challenged. Rather, they have their hands held to make sure the college doesn't have a high attrition rate and they have as many graduates as possible, which allows for people without any kind of educational integrity to be pushed through the system.

Also, I am not saying that everyone in college is not "worthy", I'm not on a high horse, I just think it's not what it should/could be.

Higher education is not only about mastering a subject matter, it's about becoming an intelligent person and changing the way you think. It goes back to the days of being a universal scholar; we need more of that.

That's a rambling mess, but ignore any flaws in logic. I am half awake and only conscious because of copious amounts of coffee.

[quote name='ATK']Well I am a Junior in high school at the moment, however already seeming to being overtaken by Senioritis.

I have been looking at Notre Dame, TCU, or even U of M. The only problem is I have no idea whatsoever to what I want to major in, and that is a huge part of choosing a college. I have the grades (about a 102 GPA) to get about anywhere spare Ivy, and then on the SAT I got an 1800 my first go around and am planning on actually studying the second time.

I was also considering going to a Community College my first year for the cheaper route and allow me to take more diverse classes to help find some-what of a calling. But I don't know if its even worthy to do that if I can get to a college that offers some scholarships and therefore being able to savior that first year of freedom.

Man. Senior year will be hectic.

What are you guys looking at majoring in?[/QUOTE]

This isn't only directed at you, but I would suggest taking post-secondary or AP classes to get college credit before you even graduate high school. Then once you graduate HS, you have about a year of the basic classes done for college. If you don't know what you want to do, take a year or two off and figure it out, when you go back you wont be behind.

Personally, I had 24 college credits when I graduated HS and I did not know what I wanted to do. I took a few years off and just started back up again last year after I figured it out, without losing too many years that I could of been going to classes due to my post secondary credits.

[quote name='life.exe']This isn't only directed at you, but I would suggest taking post-secondary or AP classes to get college credit before you even graduate high school. Then once you graduate HS, you have about a year of the basic classes done for college. If you don't know what you want to do, take a year or two off and figure it out, when you go back you wont be behind.

Personally, I had 24 college credits when I graduated HS and I did not know what I wanted to do. I took a few years off and just started back up again last year after I figured it out, without losing too many years that I could of been going to classes due to my post secondary credits.[/QUOTE]

I can sum up my entire rant after reading this and re-reading what Koggit said.
Chose your major wisely. Don't go to school for something solely based on the career achievements that you hope to gain from it. Go to school for something you enjoy and are passionate about.

[quote name='life.exe']

Personally, I had 24 college credits when I graduated HS and I did not know what I wanted to do. I took a few years off and just started back up again last year after I figured it out, without losing too many years that I could of been going to classes due to my post secondary credits.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. I have been taking them. Last year it was World History AP, this year its U.S. History AP, English 3 AP, and Environmental Science AP. Then the next it will be Economics/Government AP, English 4 AP, and Human Geography.

Actually the tests are next week :p.

Edit: Thanks for the insight guys. It helps a lot to have people who have already gone through it or those who are going through it themselves pitch in. And I will promise you that I will make my college experience worthwhile. It is scary to think that right now is one of the deciding points in my life.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Zodiii']I can sum up my entire rant after reading this and re-reading what Koggit said.
Chose your major wisely. Don't go to school for something solely based on the career achievements that you hope to gain from it. Go to school for something you enjoy and are passionate about.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, don't try and choose a major based on how much money you will make either. You may be making a lot of money, but it won't mean squat if you hate what you are doing every single day.

Also, going back to the AP/Post-Secondary thing, I actually know someone who have received their Associates degree the same time they were graduating HS. She got her Bachelors at 18 and starting working for P&G at 19. All thanks to AP/PS programs.

I feel like a bachelors these days is pointless unless it is in a super specific field (like petroleum engineering). If you want pretty good pay without high education costs I think a medically related technical degree is the way to go. Dental hygenists and nurses make really good money right out the gates and all it requires is a 2 year technical degree from your local community college.

Don't ever major in political science. It makes no sense if you want to be a lawyer and is one of the most useless majors in academia. History would be a better choice.

bread's done
Back