College Essays!

Full_Throttle

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Hey all,

Just under a year ago I posted a thread about colleges because I was freaking out for my top choice of Duke U, and now I've decided to bite the bullet and go all-out for Early Decision at Duke. Naturally, I want as many eyes to view my essays as possible, so why not have the internet people do it? I realize some of my previous essays have been "train-wrecks" (e.g. the Gladiator paper a year and some ago), but my writing has since improved dramatically. If anybody would like to review a copy of my essays, or just take a gander, send me a PM.

Other than that, does anybody have any tips for how to appeal to a college admissions council?

Honestly, people could give you a huge list of things to do, but essentially it's all about being unique.

Which is harder than it sounds.

totally off topic.. but went and saw duke for the first time.. looks to serious.. seemed like all the cool kids went to UNC

As a Maryland grad, I look forward to your future school being soundly trounced in any and all sports competitions.

Best advice: Answer the question based on what you think. Don't try to write into a certain formula to get you "in." Make it an honest answer in your own writing style.

Now that does not mean forget formatting, spelling, and organization, but your take my meaning.

Depends how your grades/SATs are. If they are far above average, like SATs in the 1400's (out of 1600 so whatever they go by today) and solid grades from a good high school then just write a pretty safe paper answering their question. If your grades are not so great then throw up the Hail Mary and write something crazy and unique, just make sure you spell everything right.

[quote name='lordwow']Write an essay about how posting on CAG changed your life.[/quote]

Might want to leave out all the scatological references.

[quote name='lionheart4life']Depends how your grades/SATs are. If they are far above average, like SATs in the 1400's (out of 1600 so whatever they go by today) and solid grades from a good high school then just write a pretty safe paper answering their question. If your grades are not so great then throw up the Hail Mary and write something crazy and unique, just make sure you spell everything right.[/quote]

This.

[quote name='PseudoMoxio']Honestly, people could give you a huge list of things to do, but essentially it's all about being unique.

Which is harder than it sounds.[/quote]

This....and maybe some clubs or activities that you participated in highschool. Some colleges like diversity in their college, dunno about that criteria for Duke though.

[quote name='homeland']totally off topic.. but went and saw duke for the first time.. looks to serious.. seemed like all the cool kids went to UNC[/quote]

:applause:

The essays really don't matter. 90% are either accepted or rejected before the essays are read (if they're read at all) it's only those in the gap for whom the essay matters. Just making sure the writing is good (comprehensible) and there are no typos/grammatical errors.

I am in the process of writing my essays for a PhD program (already have my BS and MA). While I can't offer time to help you, I thought I would wish you good luck at getting into the school of your choosing.

My advice. Don't try to write what you think someone else would say or what they want to hear, write what works for you to give the admissions committee the best possible view of the type of student you are and would be at Duke if they accepted you.

They are not looking for perfection or to be knocked outta their seats by some new idea, they want proof that you can a) handle the work load, and b) would make a good fit with the campus / your classmates.

bread's done
Back