College question.

smalien1

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
Before I ask my dumbass guidance counsler I'll ask here, I'm a sophomore in High School and I just got back my PSAT's, I got in the 76th percentile. I have an 87 as an average. I will add the factor of studing for the real SAT so I'll boost my score from the PSAT which I took cold. I am planning on mastering in film or journalism at either NYU, Columbia or SUNY Purchase, I have won short video awards from my local TV station and I am planning on doing a TV show on that channel this year. What are my chances of being accepted?

I don't know about film in general but your creds look good to me. Although, I'll be the first to say that high school doesn't mean shit when it comes to actual learning. College is where your true education begins. Forget about memorizing facts about when Columbus discovered America or stuff like that. It only becomes useful when you're on a game show or showing off your intellijenz . Have fun in high school because college (except for Spring Break, the sex, the drugs, the experiments and curiosity) is all about work.

My friend is going to Purchase. I don't know what he got on the PSAT, but on the SAT he got 1200. That shouldn't be too difficult to get if you're a good student. As for NYU and Columbia they're really restrictive. I remember reading that NYU accepts less than 1% of the applicants. Don't expect to go there as it's extremely difficult, but for the other schools keep your grades as high as possible and take the SAT's as many times as you can (there was a 200 point difference between my 1st and 2nd test).

Good luck.

It's hard to judge by the PSAT. I go to NYU, and I can tell you it's becoming more competitive every year. If you're not sure if you'll be accepted, apply early decision. A large part of the admissions for the Tisch School of the Arts is based on portfolios/auditions, but academics are still important. You'll have a good chance if you get 1350 or better on your SATs. And try to take at least the Writing SAT II, if not some more. You're a sophomore, so you still have a lot of time.

Pfff, study for national exams... pathetic. I don't see why people waste their time, it's a blow off and shouldn't be taken seriously. Your grades show better than a single exam, of who you are and what you can do.

didnt the sat get overhauled recently- a 2400 base now?

did the same thing happen to the psat?
i wouldnt worry too much about the psat- i dont think it even is worth mentioning when you apply for colleges

as a future indicator- well it is certainly good to use to drive yourself, and focus on those test-taking areas you might need to do better at.

you can take the sat as many times as you want and i think some schools allow you to submit scores from each section separately

as for acceptance, youve listed 3 varyingly selective schools, and entrance rarely if ever comes down solely on a test score. i recommend bolstering those activities that set you apart, such as your desire for film-making and be sure this comes through on your application

also remember, if you dont get into the school of choice, transferring a year or two years later is MUCH easier- especially if you are focused on where you want to go/what you want to do, and if you are placed on a waiting list ALWAYS come back with more info on yourself/make a better case- it cannot hurt and will help improve your chances/get admissions to better remember you

Also, I wrote a few comedic essays and my Aunt's friend who was a comedy writer for sitcoms found them very funny, I'm not sure if he was just being nice though, I might work on writing too.

[quote name='vherub']also remember, if you dont get into the school of choice, transferring a year or two years later is MUCH easier- especially if you are focused on where you want to go/what you want to do, and if you are placed on a waiting list ALWAYS come back with more info on yourself/make a better case- it cannot hurt and will help improve your chances/get admissions to better remember you[/quote]

That's a good point as well. If you go to a community college for 2 years and get your general education requirements out of the way and transfer in, it's a lot easier than doing 4 (or however many) years straight out (not to mention cheaper on the wallet so you can save up for when you DO go to the school of your choice).

[quote name='his_dudeness20']My friend is going to Purchase. I don't know what he got on the PSAT, but on the SAT he got 1200. That shouldn't be too difficult to get if you're a good student. As for NYU and Columbia they're really restrictive. I remember reading that NYU accepts less than 1% of the applicants. Don't expect to go there as it's extremely difficult, but for the other schools keep your grades as high as possible and take the SAT's as many times as you can (there was a 200 point difference between my 1st and 2nd test).

Good luck.[/quote]

Not true, MIT is the hardest school to get into at 4-6% acceptance besides music acadamies such as Julliard.

i would do everything i could to get a high SAT score (maybe it's different now but in my time the test was as important as your whole high school resume)

NYUs stats are bloated man, 20,000+ apply. i'd say columbia is a dream (10%) atm and NYU is a reach (30%). I don't know about SUNY Purchase (i'm just applying to Bing), but you could probably consider that as a safety.

you're still a sophomore so you have more than enough time. colleges love to see improvement so try boosting your average. also, take some SAT IIs that you feel you'll do well in.

[quote name='vherub']didnt the sat get overhauled recently- a 2400 base now?

did the same thing happen to the psat?
i wouldnt worry too much about the psat- i dont think it even is worth mentioning when you apply for colleges

as a future indicator- well it is certainly good to use to drive yourself, and focus on those test-taking areas you might need to do better at.

you can take the sat as many times as you want and i think some schools allow you to submit scores from each section separately

as for acceptance, youve listed 3 varyingly selective schools, and entrance rarely if ever comes down solely on a test score. i recommend bolstering those activities that set you apart, such as your desire for film-making and be sure this comes through on your application

also remember, if you dont get into the school of choice, transferring a year or two years later is MUCH easier- especially if you are focused on where you want to go/what you want to do, and if you are placed on a waiting list ALWAYS come back with more info on yourself/make a better case- it cannot hurt and will help improve your chances/get admissions to better remember you[/quote]

Yeah, the SAT's were recently revamped. They now have a writing section (like the PSAT's). The SAT's are only good as IQ test and nothing else. That being said I got a 1550 (only took it once, no studying in my Junior year) so I like to flaunt it every chance I get.

I got in the 99th percentile on a IQ test when I was a toddler God damnit why can't I have gotten uber-early admission, I could have not worked ever!

bread's done
Back