College Tuition

red flare graf

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
I'm about to start calling around some colleges to find out about tuition costs, but I got curious now and it's 11:30pm. Do all colleges figure out tuitions based on a "per credit hour" deal or only some of them?

I'm trying to figure out exactly what to ask. "How much is tuition?" or "How much is it per credit hour?"

u live there u pay alottt more. u just live close and take classes u will save yourself like millions later in your life. i did both but parents paid for all of it. yeaaaahh

[quote name='scdoanintendo']Most colleges I know charge per credit hour. If you go out of your state you have to pay out of state taxes for that university.[/quote]

Unless you go to a private university. Then you have to pay a shitload of money, no matter what state you come from (like me)!

to answer your question about how you pay for college it's yes. they figure it out both ways usually. if you take less than 12 hours (approximately 4 classes) generally speaking, they charge you by the hour. anything 12 or more hours is a flat full time tuition fee. i'm taking 15 hours and paying the same as someone only taking 12. also, most colleges have websites that will break down most of the fees for you so you can figure out about what it will cost. hope i helped you out there.

you got that right reality...athletic fees when you never use the damn facilities or go to the games...tech fees when you use your comp...and you better have a damn parking permit...i forgot to use mine at my old school and got a damn $25 ticket...and don't get me started on what a waste of money books are...i've gotten a's in classes that i literally never opened a book for

for real...save yourself money and knock the first 2 years off at a community college then transfer to a univeristy for you degree so you look good when you graduate...cheapass college degree

[quote name='darkmere']for real...save yourself money and knock the first 2 years off at a community college then transfer to a univeristy for you degree so you look good when you graduate...cheapass college degree[/quote]

I spent my first year at a university, and the cost is astronomical.

I plan on attending CC for the next year or so

Completely off topic, but for some reason I found it hilarious in Casey's post when the abbreviation definition for CC shows up as Circuit City.

And Reality's Fringe is completely right. I just received my first tuition bill, and only then did it hit me how expensive college actually is.

Heh. Forget tuition, even BOOKS cost a load. I was gonna head over and buy my books for my 6 classes, and like... it's gonna come to about $600, if I'm LUCKY. Ah well, guess I'll hunt around online a bit.

most of the college websites I've seen will usually tell you their prices for full time tuition and sometimes their hourly. In state is usually cheaper and public is cheaper than private mainly. Also check other states to see if their out of state is cheaper than your in-state. If at all possible have your major chosen and if you dont then dont waste your time on "fun" classes. take the required base classes. Beleive me towards the end of your college career you should have plenty of spare hours a semester to take those fun classes. You'll also be older and closer to drinking age and since those classes require less studying that = more partying and gaming. Also I suggest living in the dorm for at least a semester. There is no better way to learn the college community than to live in a dorm. After that semester move out if you want a parking hassle or stay there it doesnt matter. Hmmm try finding the textbooks online or from someone that has already taken the class. Remember bookstores on or around campus are evil. If you're lucky the dorm you live in might be set up where you can do system link games through the internet connections.

Some colleges charge by credit hour. Some charge a flat rate semester fee for full time students. I would check their websites before calling everywhere.

Wow prices sure have gone up since I went to school. It's like double what I paid only 5 or 6 years ago.

Community college is fine, but if u can afford it dont deprive yourself of the college experience. I have seen kids I known who have gone from community college to a regular university and have a harder time fittin in. I still am friends with the people I lived with on the same floor of freshman year. So I would say University it up if u can afford it. At pitt, u had to pay a flat fee if you had a min of 12 oe 13 as the min. Any less and you paid by the credit, I have taken summer classes and payin by the credit is the biggest rip in the world. Be a full time student, get it done with.

Public in-state is definitely the cheaper way to go. I was lucky and able to attend a great public university for free (Georgia Tech - if you maintain at least a B average tuition is paid for if you are from Georgia).

And I also think the dude planning on attending school at Circuit City is heading in the wrong direction...

tech sucks...go to gsu man (j/k...i know someone who goes to tech) can't wait to start at georgia state in a couple weeks, but gotta get my transcripts sent so i can get HOPE

Right now, I go to ITT Tech in Little Rock, Arkansas, majoring in software programming. It's about $17k a year here. I'm about to have to pick up and move to North Carolina, which is where my girlfriend is from, but I have no idea about the place.

Do any of you from NC know of any ITT-like colleges around Winston-Salem or Charlotte? Sucks how I can't just transfer straight to another ITT Tech, you're one of the few states without one. The closest is about 2 hours southwest of Charlotte, I think.. and I'm not commuting that far.

Thanks for all your help, guys.

I'm going to Duquesne University. It's a private Catholic university located in the city of Pittsburgh, PA. The tuition is expensive, approximately 26,000$ per year. 104,000$ in total, for my Accounting Degree. My parents pay 1500$/month year round. Then again, I got a 26,000$ scholarship from Duquesne. My scholarship paid for my beamer and my alienware laptop!
The way I see it, I could have gone to any school, I had a 1300 SAT and 3.72 GPA. In fact, more than a few schools offered me a full ride, but Duquesne offered the greatest degree. It's very well respected, nationally, for it's business degrees. I suppose I should also mention that my parents are paying it all. :D

I got a 1250(hey, I almost missed it) on my SAT and had a 3.6 overall, and no one offered me anything. Maybe I just wasn't looking in the right spot. Oh well, I'm planning to attend Ohio University this fall, and transfer if I don't like it. I considered Duquesne as well, but felt it was prohibitevly expensive at this time. I'm majoring in International Business by the way. Who knows, maybe I might see you sometime Storamin.

where;s my freakin scholarships...i got a 1330...don't remember my gpa...something like 3.5 i think...i think it's time to search the internet for free money if it's not too late

just remember if you move to south carolina your looking at paying out of state tuition unless you beecome a resident of that state and that will multiply your tuition by aprox 3-5x's at least.

One semester at the crappiest maryland college (12 credits) was like 4000 per semester and books are about 100-150 per class unless it's a math or science class those are usually more vs. my 1200 per semester for 17 credits at a community college. Save your money, trust me. also for those of you who's parents payed for your education... i hope you thank them every day and understand how lucky you are (i didn't get a dime and my parents actually wrote my college expenses off on their taxes and got an extra about 500 at least back and they wouldn't even give me that for school). Also, left home and got married at 19 (after 2.5 yrs of college) becaues they wouldn't help me but with their income i couldn't get any financial aid so i was screwed and had to get myself removed from their income.

so ya, thank your parents... now my parents say they would have helped me ya... now that they don't have to

done w/ my vent... good luck... college is great :)

yeah...that was my thinking in moving out this month...i can fill out a fafsa now without their income (my parents) being a factor...so all i gotta come up with is $300 for rent, plus utilities and food...i figured the trade off was worth it to become fully independent...

Thats why you guys should do sports and be good at them. I got a few letters from schools for track and field. I even got one from Yale. The applications were funny. Question 1: name and address. Question 2: How far can you throw the shot put and discus. Question 3: Oh ya, can we see your high school transcript.

You think $26,000 a year is expensive? My school costs $21,000 a SEMESTER. No scholarships or anything, either.

Reality's Fringe- I'm also planning on majoring in International Business. I'll kill you if you steal my job in a few years. :wink: Seriously, who knows, maybe we'll meet up in the workforce sometime.

I've been out of school a looooong time.

I just looked at my University's tuition and it's gone up $17,000 since I was a Freshman and $12,000 since I graduated.

man I dont see how you guys pay for school. mine is only 2930 a semester. I'm just happy to know that with my major I'm garuanteed a job as soon as I graduate

[quote name='Stargun007']You think $26,000 a year is expensive? My school costs $21,000 a SEMESTER. No scholarships or anything, either.

Reality's Fringe- I'm also planning on majoring in International Business. I'll kill you if you steal my job in a few years. :wink: Seriously, who knows, maybe we'll meet up in the workforce sometime.[/quote]

We shall battle at noon-fall! International business is a good way to go, especially if you seem to be business oriented. It combines travel and commerce into one sweet, sweet package.

[quote name='Girion47']man I dont see how you guys pay for school. mine is only 2930 a semester. I'm just happy to know that with my major I'm garuanteed a job as soon as I graduate[/quote]

What degree / field are you studying? My field was guaranteed jobs as well. 100% placement for computer technology and the highest payed out of college. However after being in the field for 5 years I am seeing the outsourcing overseas killing this career. There will always be jobs in this field just not as highly paid or abundent.

It is Environmental Health Sciences. Basically any type of Industrial Hygiene, Osha, Public Health, Ergonomics, Safety Consultant, FEMA, EPA, FDA, Consumer Product Safety, etc.... There are only 24 schools in the country with the major so there arent that many people graduating with the degree. I'm just happy these can't be sent overseas

[quote name='Stargun007']You think $26,000 a year is expensive? My school costs $21,000 a SEMESTER. No scholarships or anything, either.

[/quote]

Ok I understand that tuition is expensive however the majority of public colleges are under $10,000. If your complaining for $20,000+ per year or semesster for tuition costs your complaints fall on deaf ears.

I'm all for private colleges and $20,000+ per year or semester tuition but that's your decision and don't whine about it later. Its like buying a jaguar and then complaining about the gas costs...

I'm not complaining, I'm just stating a fact. Yeah, it's expensive, but it's totally worth it for me and my family.

bread's done
Back