Colleges, College Life, College CAG'er lifestyle.

Ranger Rick

CAGiversary!
Well it's time for me to start looking at colleges and thinking about college, (My junior year ends in a week) and I was wondering if any of u college CAG or college alumni have any advice.
Anyway, today I checked out Roger Williams University in Bristol, RI. Seemed like a pretty nice school. Anyone here go to school there? It's probably my number 3 choice. I'm also gonna look at WPI, and Western New England College. Any reccomendations for good colleges. I'm looking for a university around New England. I'm thinking about majoring in engineering, because that's what all the personality profilers tell me to go into, or computer science, but I am undecided and know very little about these majors. So any reccomendations on colleges or good majors?
Any general tips on college life? What to bring? etc...
And the cheap ass lifestyle we've all come to love. Where's the best place to get books? What's the best cheap ass food?
Thanks for any help. :)

Hey, I am from RI so I can give you some help on this area. Roger Williams isn't that great, but WPI is excellent for engineering as long as you can pay the tuition/get scholarships. Never heard of Western New England College.

Cheap Ass Gamer'er

Anyway, my biggest tip is to make sure there's a Sam's or Costco around your college. The hams/turkeys there can save your life, and your wallet. A 3 lb chunk of versatile meat for under $10 cannot be beat, you can feed a kid for a week on one. Diced for omelets, sliced for the grill (or straight to bread for a killer sandwich), cubed for salad...

3 lb chunks of meat for the win.

The class syllabus is your best friend. Most professors in college don't remind you of upcoming tests/papers like High School teachers do. Some don't even tell you at all!!!! Sometimes not reading the syllabus will lead to an F in the class.

Prepare to lose a lot of sleep as an engineering student. Math, physics, chemistry classes as a freshman are harder than classes other students will take as upper classmen. Enjoy!

if you're looking to save money, consider taking your first 2 years at a community college whose credits will transfer to the university of your choice. this is when everyone does the most of the same core classes that practically every degree requires. why pay ivy league prices when you can get the basics at community college costs? in the end you'll get the same degree and can save yourself thousands. plus a lot of people decide to change majors (not saying you will, but you might) and end up spending an extra year or 2 because of it. once you get into your later semesters of your major look into internship and co-op opportunities. it might take a little longer to graduate, but some will help pay for school and many will offer you a job upon graduation.

Considering he's told engineering and C.S. are good paths I'm sure he's at least taken calculus... I don't know of any community or junior colleges that offer anything beyond calc 3 or differential equations. Community college is a good option for many, but not so much sciences/maths.

i'd say it's worth looking into cheaper options for the first 2 years if he's concerned about saving a few bucks. if not community college then maybe a cheap state school. i mean fuck it, he wants a good engineering school in new england, why not mit?

Look at the top 25 or top 50 lists for engineering and check out the schools around you that you think you can afford. If you have any scholarships that should make your decision alittle more biased to that school. And finally, go to University of Florida, which just kicks ass (and is a pretty good engineering school)

[quote name='afedock']Look at the top 25 or top 50 lists for engineering and check out the schools around you that you think you can afford. If you have any scholarships that should make your decision alittle more biased to that school. And finally, go to University of Florida, which just kicks ass (and is a pretty good engineering school)[/QUOTE]

Sorry, FSU FTW

n5226986_1047105_2268.jpg

[quote name='darkmere']that poor girl can't even afford a real belt.[/quote]

I gotta wonder how many intact teeth she's got. :lol:

Well OP, if you want to do engineering or computer science, make sure that you really love math. This is because you'll be doing a lot of it. Just choose a major that will help you get the type of job that you want.

Before you go into Engineering or Comp Sci....you have to think about whether or not you are somewhat skilled in these areas.

If you sucked at/hated Calculus/Physics in high school...you may want to look elsewhere. Same thing with Comp Sci, take a programming course (if you haven't already) your senior year to see how much you like coding.

A lot of these guys here are telling you to consider a community college for 2 years. My advice would be to go with the university. My first 2 years of college were a blast. Tons of new people to meet, parties to go to, and activities to participate in. You just can't get this at a community college.

I would, however, take required courses such as English, Government, and History courses at a CC over the summer. They are generally way easier than at a university and cheaper. This way you won't get bogged down by tons of reading during the regular semester when you're focusing on your major.

And yeah...getting textbooks online is the best way to go. Or...find students in the same school who are getting rid of their old books. You will save a ton of money.

[quote name='Tiphireth']I gotta wonder how many intact teeth she's got. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Well, she was in Playboy last month, and Maxim before that so I'm pretty sure shes still got her grill. She also writes a column for SI.com.

Thanks for all the good advice. Some comments: I do enjoy math and have recieved A's for the year in all three years of high school. However I've taken college level classes Algebra I, Geometry, and Algebra II... all level 2. I realize that these were not the most difficult of math courses like level 1 or AP courses but these have been the courses I have taken. I plan to take physics and pre-cal next year. In regards to the community college thing, I'm not so worried about the cost of tution and all because I plan to try to get a wrestling scholarship and/or possibly an ROTC or nROTC scholarship. Also if I don't recieve any financial aid I would still opt to go to the University for the experience, I don't want to portray the idea that if I don't recieve aid I won't have enough money for college. Ummm... some of the more helpfull advice was to shop at Sam's club and look at the class syllabus (looking for more tips like that.) I'm looking for a college that has wrestling so I won't be looking into UFlorida or FSU.... um defintley gonna look at WPI. I'll probably apply to MIT even though I would never get into there if I wasn't an athlete... but if they're looking for wrestlers I might have a shot. I'm in the top 25% of my class, 1760/2400 on the SAT's (gonna take them again in senior year), played sports mostly 2/3 seasons during my three years here. Well, thanks for the good advice and I'll be sure to look into all of your comments. I'm also going to change my previous post with the word "CAG'er"... I have no idea why I put that.

*Edit- also what's a good major in engineering? I'm talking about the differnet kinds like bioengineering, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, industrial engineering, civil engineering...

[quote name='afedock']Look at the top 25 or top 50 lists for engineering and check out the schools around you that you think you can afford. If you have any scholarships that should make your decision alittle more biased to that school. And finally, go to University of Florida, which just kicks ass (and is a pretty good engineering school)[/QUOTE]

Hell yeah. Best basketball and autonomous underwater vehicle in the country.

I would avoid WPI like the plague, Worcester is an awful place to be stuck in for 4 years. Also the 1 year I spent at WPI before I transferred was an academic joke. Dont worry too much about your major as a lot of people switch after a year or two anyways once they figure out they hate their original choice. If you are looking in the New England area I would recommend UMASS Amherst or UNH.

I live in Ma and got accepted to both WPI and UMass. WPI has some really good engineering programs, but UMass isn't far behind for a lot less money. The school has a worse rep that it deserves. You can easily avoid the bad shit because its not everywhere and the campus isn't too bad looking either. The surrounding towns provide plenty of things to do on the weekends.

[quote name='advancedgamer468']Also what's a good major in engineering? I'm talking about the differnet kinds like bioengineering, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, industrial engineering, civil engineering...[/QUOTE]

EE's pretty broad, so at least with that degree you'll have a lot of options. I would imagine most colleges have an Intro to Eng. type course that'll show you each of the departments. Definitely take that if you can. I'd say choose whichever interests you the most, since you'll hopefully be getting a job in that field. Realizing you hate your major right before you graduate is not a good situation to be in.

Rules for picking a college (I wish someone told me this before I decided):

1. Shoot for the moon and go to the best school you can get into - no one gives a shit if you have a 3.5 at some retard school
2. Go somewhere warm - it's a 4 year vacation - you might as well go somewhere nice
3. Go somewhere big - the more people, the more parties, the more hot chicks and random hookups (dump whoever you are dating before you go)
4. Go somewhere at least 2 hours from home

I realize it might be tough to follow all 4 rules but definitely keep them in mind.

Don't buy books before your class start! I've bought books for classes, since the syllabus said they were required, but never used them. Find somone that's taken the class, and see if they actually needed their book (and if they might be willing to sell it to you). You can do most of your book shopping on ebay or half.com, just stay away from the co-op for the most part unless you really need the book immediately.

[quote name='javeryh']Rules for picking a college (I wish someone told me this before I decided):

1. Shoot for the moon and go to the best school you can get into - no one gives a shit if you have a 3.5 at some retard school
2. Go somewhere warm - it's a 4 year vacation - you might as well go somewhere nice
3. Go somewhere big - the more people, the more parties, the more hot chicks and random hookups (dump whoever you are dating before you go)
4. Go somewhere at least 2 hours from home

I realize it might be tough to follow all 4 rules but definitely keep them in mind.[/quote]

Great list :D ...though I only followed 3 of the 4 when I applied back in 2002.

1. I didn't aim too high and got into University of Texas with Texas' 10% rule. Still a highly ranked public school though.

2. Austin is warm alright...damn hot actually in the summer :hot: .

3. 50,000 students mean theres always something to, someone to meet.

4. 2.5 Hrs away from my hometown Houston.

OP, you live in CT, University of Connecticut has a really good engineering school... have you considered it at all, or is it too close to home for your tastes?

It's a great school, I can vouch.

[quote name='varsitygamer']OP, you live in CT, University of Connecticut has a really good engineering school... have you considered it at all, or is it too close to home for your tastes?

It's a great school, I can vouch.[/quote]

Haven't really considered it, because they don't have a wrestling program. Besides that, UCONN is [FONT=&quot]definitely[/FONT] a very nice school which I would have loved to go to.

OP, Why not UConn? I visited it for me a few months ago. LOVED it. Gorgeous school, great facilities and I think they have a good engineering school.

EDIT: Missed above.

I'm sure even if they don't have league wrestling team, there is a club of some sort that you could join at most big schools, including UConn. So I would apply to UConn and other big schools with good engineering programs anyway even if they don't have a wrestling team. You might be surprised at the offers you get if your credentials are good.

Engineering is engineering, it doesn't really matter where you go. Your states technology school would be perfect.

It only really matters when you are going into the sciences, or into a medical field.

[quote name='advancedgamer468']Alright so I'm going to Trinity College. Peace.[/QUOTE]

Is that a joke? You didnt even apply yet. BTW, Trinity is a very good school.

[quote name='darkmere']ince you get into your later semesters of your major look into internship and co-op opportunities. it might take a little longer to graduate, but some will help pay for school and many will offer you a job upon graduation.[/quote]
Most engineering programs REQUIRE an internship of some kind in order to graduate any more. If they don't you need to have one, because getting a job without any experience and only a degree is difficult.

The the OP:

I'm biased on engineering schools (considering I'm from the midwest), but if decide to get out New England...Iowa State University is an excellent choice (my alma mater). The University of Wisconsin, University of Illinois and Purdue are all excellent schools for engineering in the midwest.

I'd second the voice for community college. Credits will transfer and some of those classes are far more difficult at the "big" school than they need to be.

You will lose a lot of sleep in engineering school...but the most important thing is to go to class. All of the time. It will make a big difference.

What else, buy used books when you can...and KEEP them (when it makes sense). There are tons of books that I sold back that I still wish that I had to look crap up (I wish I had the Materials Science book...that's for sure).

At any rate, do your research before picking a school. Don't make a poor choice for the wrong reason. If you want an engineering degree, go to a good school for it and not because its a great party school or all of your friends are going. The education is the primary reason you are spending all of that money.

End of rant.

TBW

PS Apply for every (I mean all of them) scholarship you can find....even if they don't apply to you. It will get you practice at writing those stupid essays and you might get some that you weren't planning on.

I lied, one more thing. Engineers, for the most part, need to write a lot in the real world. Technical reports, email, proposals, presentations, work instructions, documentation, etc. If you hate writing (and public speaking...to some degree), consider something else. I have been an engineer for 8 years and I write far more than I ever thought (through a couple of different jobs) and I give presentations all of the time. Being an engineer isn't just about math anymore.

[quote name='advancedgamer468']I'm not so worried about the cost of tution and all because I plan to try to get a wrestling scholarship and/or possibly an ROTC or nROTC scholarship.

*Edit- also what's a good major in engineering? I'm talking about the differnet kinds like bioengineering, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, industrial engineering, civil engineering...[/quote]
On my high horse about Iowa State....they have one of the best wrestling programs in Division 1 NCAA (last I heard).

I'm an ME, we do all kinds of shit. EE's make a lot of cash and there is always work for those guys (and gals). I'd stay away from IE, but that is a choice. I don't think that they make as much as some of the others. Only become a Civil if you plan on becoming a registered PE, otherwise, someone will always be checking your work.

After reading more of the posts, I also second the break up with the high school girl before college. I knew a guy that had to call his girl every night and spend at least an hour or two on the phone with her. After blowing his freshman year on her, she went to college somewhere else and dumped him.

I also second the 2-3 hour drive from home. It close enough that you get home easily (if you need to), but far enough away that your parents won't just "drop by". I had a buddy who lived 45 minutes from campus and his parents would stop by all the time without calling first Occasionally, it was a touch embarassing.

TBW

Random crap that you might not think about. Dorms can be fun. Dorm food sucks, but it beats the hell out of shopping, cooking and cleaning that you would do on your own.

If you do live in a dorm, find one that will let you park as a freshman. Nothing sucks more than having to walk 20 minutes to get to the lot where your car is.

Don't lie on a dorm application. I got stuck with a roommate who smoked my freshman year because he put on the application that he didn't smoke because he didn't want his parents to know. He was cool about not smoking in the room, but it still smelled like shit all the time.

Yeah..You definitely want to buy your books online. Sometimes you can get them from half.com.

Also, dont join a fraternity unless you intend to have a very low GPA and end up on Academic Probation (I pulled a 1.9GPA just .1 shy of not being placed on it :().

Also...Be sure to use a condom lol. Dont want to come home with more than you left with unintentionally.

bread's done
Back