Comcast HD Question

mtxbass1

CAGiversary!
Feedback
40 (100%)
Does anyone know if it is possible to rent an HD receiver from comcast, and pick up all the OTA hdtv channels without actually paying for anything other than the basic service?

I need a cable box and I'm wondering if I should rent one or just go pick a cheap one up somewhere.

just use a OVER THE AIR ATTENA if you dont need HBO HD and all the extras. Do you have a TV that has a built in HD reciver or is that what you want the box for?

[quote name='mtxbass1']Does anyone know if it is possible to rent an HD receiver from comcast, and pick up all the OTA hdtv channels without actually paying for anything other than the basic service?

I need a cable box and I'm wondering if I should rent one or just go pick a cheap one up somewhere.[/QUOTE]
Yes, all you need for the basic HD channels is to rent an HD box and basic cable. The box is about $10 a month.

[quote name='Pootie Thang']Just get the Comcast HD... It's only $5 more and you get like 30 high-def channels. I know because that;'s what I have[/QUOTE]

That's bullshit as I'm using Comcast and I certainly don't have anywhere near 30 here. Hell I can't even get them to add HDNet, HDNet Movies, or Universal HD... well okay they HAD Universal HD during the Olympics but then yanked it away right afterwards (bastards).

[quote name='Michaellvortega']just use a OVER THE AIR ATTENA if you dont need HBO HD and all the extras. Do you have a TV that has a built in HD reciver or is that what you want the box for?[/QUOTE]

Getting Comcast's service is good for some channels like Discovery HD, ESPN HD, and INHD 1 & 2 for instance. HBO HD sucks anyways since they crop any movie that's wider than 16x9 to that. I won't pay crap for that.

[quote name='dafoomie']Yes, all you need for the basic HD channels is to rent an HD box and basic cable. The box is about $10 a month.[/quote]

Basic cable (ie: the $7.67 "local" package) or basic cable (channels 1-70 something)?

The reason why I need this box is that I bought a projector. It has hdmi inputs (along with about 7 other types) and I need to plug my catv source in.

Get a DVR. Not only do you get the DVR service for $10 a month extra (which is the most awesome feature ever) you also get free HDTV broadcast.

[quote name='Maklershed']Get a DVR. Not only do you get the DVR service for $10 a month extra (which is the most awesome feature ever) you also get free HDTV broadcast.[/QUOTE]

yeap cause the DVR box is a HD box ... kind of stupid they made both of them into one box.... I wonder how big of a hard drive could of fit in there it the HD wasnt in there......

heard rumor that there might be a 180 GB comcast box coming this fall (the ones they got now is 120GB)

HD programming on cable and satellite is a joke right now.

At best you're going to get 10 channels and chances are 3-4 of them are pay channels like HBO or Showtime.

I have DirecTV and they offer 7 channels that aren't pay channels, two HD Nets, ESPN, ESPN 2, TNT, Discovery and Universal HD. For $10 a month? For 7 channels?

I can get 7 over the air HD stations for free. The six networks and PBS. A power boosted antenna works fine for HDTV and unless you're subscribing already to pay movie channels I can't see paying the additional fee to rent the box. I have an HD DirecTV box I got for free when I hooked up as a customer but I haven't activated programming yet and don't intend to until the cost of HD channel is less than $1 a month.

[quote name='Three Dollar Hooker']
I can get 7 over the air HD stations for free. The six networks and PBS. A power boosted antenna works fine for HDTV and unless you're subscribing already to pay movie channels I can't see paying the additional fee to rent the box. I have an HD DirecTV box I got for free when I hooked up as a customer but I haven't activated programming yet and don't intend to until the cost of HD channel is less than $1 a month.[/quote]

A power boosted antenna is fine...if you have the box that it's going in to. That's what I'm lacking here. I have no box to put the source into.

Basic Cable about $40 bucks a month give or take if you have cable internet as well. The HD box is like $7 bucks a month here, the DVR one is 15 bucks.

You get all the broadcast stations in HD, and PBS. You wont get INHD or DiscoverHD, so it might be worth it to move up to one of the better packages if you like that sorta thing.

Also note they usually have at least one FREE HD on-Demand movie every couple of months. Right now you can get On-Demand FIFTH ELEMENT in HD for free.....

however, a word about HD over cable: Compression is everywhere. HBO was the least compressed of all the signals, but the rest of the channels WILL macroblock on you on fast motion. At least they all do in my area.

Paying for movie channels in HD is a waste when they macroblock like crazy.

Showtime was the first channel to have "RETURN OF THE KING" in HD, and within 10 minutes it had macroblocked so many times I shut it off and cancelled pay services the next day.

bread's done
Back