Comic Book All-in-ones?

Furashu

CAGiversary!
Feedback
16 (100%)
Ive been wanting to read comic books and not wikipedia to know the story behind marvel and DC characters, but buying like 89 issues per super hero is REALLY expensive... lol

are there all-in-ones books that have like... issues 1-90 in one book?

comics were before my time and i know very little about them.

That essentials is all B&W and only has about 20something issues. If you really want to go for broke, I would suggest buying the DVD collections that marvel has begun putting out:

It retails for $50 at Amazon, but it has everything from 1965-2005 (says over 485 issues)

They also have the DVD collections of Hulk, Fantastic Four (now with complete Silver Surfer), Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man, and possibly others...they're very popular for people like yourself wanting to know the story without having to buy/collect/store boxes upon boxes of frail and expensive comics.

The only real problem with the digital compilations is when there's a serious crossover between titles, you'll have no idea what had happened in the other series' part of the story (the two other Spider-man titles, X-factor, New Mutants, and others used to intertwine with the main SM & XM arcs, respectively, probably at least once a year in the early 90's)

I have all of these and there great i have 11,000 comics now thanks to these! GItcorp was awesome but they lost the license now that marvel is switching to digital online :(

i got Ultimate Xmen on dvd but would rather read something on paper. At my library I've seen some Essential volumes. You should go to your library, so they'll be free.

both marvel and dc have colored versions of the Essential stuff the name escapes me maybe masterpieces for marvel and archives for dc? cant remember was going to buy some but at $50 a piece they started to get pricey for what all i was going to buy. buy.com used to do awesome deals for them. it all depends on what character you are looking to read.
i know this brand of bookstores is local but ed mckays which is nc based sells trades for like 3-12 dollars depending on page count and quality maybe someone in the ncstate area or fayetteville area could help you find some. you can always try used book stores or craigslist ive noticed over the last few years there are lots of people unloading their older trades for the higher issue count trades or new prints or just because they lost interest in reading them. just remember though they only started pumping out trades in high volume in the last 15 or so years so alot of stuff before and after certain points still arent in trades or the trades are out of print.

if price isnt an issue, considering what site we are discussing this on it probably is, you can always find your local comic book shop and order any trades you want and they can probably find you any plus sized trades(masterpiece, archives) and if youre ordering high volumes of them or on a regular basis they will probably discount them for you.

me personally i do download comics but i buy the issues and trades, and read the downloads until i own the issues i need or to keep my issues or trades in better condition but that shouldnt be the first and only option. and remember to support your local comic shop for new and future issues and trades when ever you can. those guys are usually great and will give freebies, my shop gave me premier tickets to both miss march and transformers 2 so even though sometimes you may pay more they will give back when they can

also the dvds are worth the money and i think all of the issues after whats on them are available in trade

its got a decent amount along with some exclusives to it. i think alot of new spidergirl stories will be on there, its nice but for some of us nothing will replace having the issues/trades in our hands. i know the digital comics didnt start that long ago (few years i think) and joey q keeps mentioning in interviews how they are constantly expanding it when they can. image also has a site like that they were bragging not long ago how they had the first 10 years up on it. dc cant figure out what they are doing with theirs, they will start working on it, get it up and running then drop it, then start again and every time they say this will be the time they stick with it

[quote name='sark45']I have all of these and there great i have 11,000 comics now thanks to these! GItcorp was awesome but they lost the license now that marvel is switching to digital online :([/QUOTE]

fuck Marvel and their Digital online bullshit and fuck anyone dumb enough to pay for it. The Gitcorp collections are awesome, I bought them all, even the FF double dip. For the record they are: X-Men, Ultimate X-Men, Ghost Rider, FF, FF and Surfer, Amazing Spider-Man, Civil War, House of M, Captain America, Iron Man, Avengers, Hulk, and Star Trek (not Marvel, but awesome, none the less). I will ALWAYS be pissed at Marvel for cheating me out of the planned Thor and Daredevil collections. What dicks.

Edit: The name of the collections are Marvel Masterworks, and are VERY overpriced.

Edit 2: Yes, I know there are more Git collections, but those are all of the "complete" ones.

thank you i couldnt remember it, do you remember the other dc one not archives, they are over priced and depending on the title may have newspaper quality paper or high quality paper and also the site does have some free issues, didnt know they switched to a subscription, shows how long its been since i even looked at them, but the dvds were great for the price fye was handing them away for at like 3-5 dollars

i didnt even realize they got to civil war (wrote house of m twice like an idiot), last i saw everyone was trying to give them away and i saw an ad for the house of m one, didnt think that one would actually hit

Marvel starting putting out the Omnibus books. Look up "Spider-Man Omnibus" or the "X-Men Omnibus", for example, on amazon. Others include wolverine, Fantastisic Four, Incredible Hulk, etc. They're massive hard-cover books containing dozens of issues.

[quote name='sark45']I have all of these and there great i have 11,000 comics now thanks to these! GItcorp was awesome but they lost the license now that marvel is switching to digital online :([/QUOTE]

Wow, I didn't know they stoped making the dvd compilations. I better get the xmen one before copies dry up. I have the Spiderman one and they are pretty cool.

You don't have to read a ton of comics to know a lot about superheroes. I didn't know shit about Hal Jordan or the Green Lanterns. I just finished reading Green Lantern: Rebirth and learned quite a damn lot. Only about 13 more paperbacks to read until I'm ready to read the Blackest Knight. Can't wait for that to come out -_-.

[quote name='Furashu']Ive been wanting to read comic books and not wikipedia to know the story behind marvel and DC characters, but buying like 89 issues per super hero is REALLY expensive... lol

are there all-in-ones books that have like... issues 1-90 in one book?

comics were before my time and i know very little about them.[/QUOTE]

The Absolute editions from DC are pretty good for some things. Particularly Sandman. They're $100 apiece, but there are only three of them. This however, doesn't beat the individual trade volumes with average about $20 for each of the 12 volumes.

Overall though, the bigger publishers tend not to do all in one volumes of their contemporary stories. Those are normally reserved for the big indies like Strangers in Paradise (six really thick "pocket books" volumes), Bone, The Tick, and Scud the Disposable Assassin. If you can find them, the Marvel DVD roms are really good if you literally want everything. 500 + issues, but those are out of print.

[quote name='yesiamaplant']The Absolute editions from DC are pretty good for some things. Particularly Sandman. They're $100 apiece, but there are only three of them. [/QUOTE]

There are four volumes of Absolute Sandman, but Amazon has them for $63.00 each.

bread's done
Back