Comic Collecting?

51jack

Banned
I have always felt comics/video games kinda go hand in hand. Anyone else here big on collecting? If so what is your current collection?

I'd like to think I have a generous comic book collection. I've been collecting since I was a kid, but got out of it for several years during high school and college. I got back into it big time a few years back when Civil War and The Ultimates hit the stands. 70% of my collection is Marvel. I know it's a bit whoreish but it's what I grew up with and what I know. The biggest difference from when I was a kid and now is that in my younger years I collected just to collect. I'd buy every #1 and gold foil bullshit comic I could find. I barely ever read anything, now I collect because I genuinely love the stories. I read everything I buy now.

Now that I have a good job with good pay I can afford all the comics I want. My monthly comic book bill is about $80 having about 30 comics on my pull list. That includes bag, board & shipping. A lot of people think that's crazy but it's a hobby that I enjoy so they can bite me. My bigest problem is storage. I'm running out of space. I store them in these half sized pull-out boxes. Easy access but when they get full it's heavy as fuck. And I just recently moved to an apartment with no elevator, so that wasn't fun.

I don't have many rare comics. I think the rarest ones I own are X-Men #14 (1st Sentinel), Iron Man #55 (1st Thanos) and Marvel Spotlight (1st Ghost Rider) and few more. I'm not a big variant collector either. Only one I have is Kick Ass #1 (JRJ Sketch variant)

I'm a fan of comic books, however my collection consists mostly of trades since most of the time that's what gives me the most content for what I spend.

I do however collect Batman, Sonic and usually pick up a few regulars when I'm at the local shop.

I have all of the Ultimate Marvel stuff in some form except for the most recent stuff that I don't have but will be getting in trades/hardcovers. Right now I'm getting Ultimate Spidey, New Ultimates, Avengers 3, and X in individual issues. I'll be getting the Enemy series collected.

I have all of the major Image/Devil's Due GI Joe books in singles except for the Data Desk Handbook #2 N-Z. I don't have the trades that sometimes had a few extra pages here and there.

I have all of the new IDW GI Joe books in singles. I'm also getting the main Marvel series reprints. I haven't gotten the Special Missions reprint books because they didn't confirm that they were actually going to be releasing them all. I also haven't gotten the "best of" books because they're pointless.

I have a sizable chunk of the 80s/90s GI Joe Marvel books. I've got all of the major (and many less major) side story books including the complete Special Missions. I've got a good chunk of #1-155, but I recently stopped actively pursuing them because it appears IDW is going to complete their reprint series. I have Marvel's incomplete reprints from 2002, too. Yeah, I have duplicate books in that I have IDW's versions, but I decided to vote with my dollar early on to get IDW to complete the reprints this time. In addition, I have the cheaper and nicer reprint Tales of GI Joe version of #1, so I have the Hot Potato story that for some reason hasn't been reprinted since that very book in the 80s.

I'm not a big DC fan, but I have a handful of books here and there. My favorite is Red Son. I've also been getting the newer Sgt. Rock miniserieses from the past decade or so.

I had a big manga boom about 5 years ago, but now I only really read Tsubasa, xxxHolic, and Suzuka. Tsubasa's coming to an end soon, too. It already ended in Japan. I got a lot of CLAMP manga.

I like picking up the odd single volume trade or hardcover, too. Scud, V For Vendetta, Bone, The Originals, etc.

EDIT: I should add that I don't collect for the sake of collecting. I read everything I buy. If I won't read it, I won't buy it.

Last edited by a moderator:
NEver got into comics much at all; I think I've bought under 10 comics my whole life.

I can see the crossover because both hobbies (when you collect anyway) are pretty nerdy.

I have so many comics I've been collecting them since my senior year in High school (which was 4 years ago). I have probably around a thousand single issues and around 100 TBPs and Hardcovers.

What's a new comic go for nowadays? Back when I was in to it (89-97), I remember issues costing upwards of $1.75 on the high end.

[quote name='mtxbass1']What's a new comic go for nowadays? Back when I was in to it (89-97), I remember issues costing upwards of $1.75 on the high end.[/QUOTE]

*sigh* I remember the good old days...the habit was cheap, although the majority of the stuff coming out was dollar bin fodder a year later...

Nowadays, your average book is $2.99-3.99, with more people going to the latter. I'm thiiiiis close to just moving to trades, and prefer to pick them up when I can (read: when I find them cheap).

I collected comics before I got into gaming.

From around 85 to the mid 90's I was buying about over 50 titles a month. I still have all my comics and a few years ago I bought 35 long boxes of comics from an uncle for next to nothing. The collection dated back from the 40's to the mid 90's including tons of golden and silver age comics, a lot of early Superman (#3) and Batman books, some Avengers, the first 50 Uncanny Xmen books, some Hulk (1st Wolverine appearance) and basically every Wolverine comic published from that appearance to 1995 or so. I haven't had any of them graded but most of the golden/silver age books would probably be in the 5-7 range. I sorted through all of them and got them all bagged and boarded but now they are just sitting in the basement.

I've actually started reading comics again the past year or so. I'm not buying individual books but I have been buying a lot of trade paperbacks (Batman, Superman, Xmen, etc). I'm looking forward to reading the Blackest Night stuff from DC. The last major DC universe storyline I remember reading was the Zero hour story.

[quote name='yesiamaplant']*sigh* I remember the good old days...the habit was cheap, although the majority of the stuff coming out was dollar bin fodder a year later...

Nowadays, your average book is $2.99-3.99, with more people going to the latter. I'm thiiiiis close to just moving to trades, and prefer to pick them up when I can (read: when I find them cheap).[/QUOTE]

$4? Wow. Talk about inflation...

I'm looking at a lot of the digital comics myself, but I'm disappointed with the prices. $2 or a digital comic is still a bit much. If Sony would offer a subscription to their PSP comic service, I'd sign up for that however.

Yep, back then it was the choice between a slice of pizza or a comic book, now you can get two slices for the price of one issue of Spider-Man or something.

3 or 4 dollars for a comic isn't all that bad. The production value on comics is much higher these days with digital coloring and lettering and all that. I still only buy the good stuff out there.

Yeah you aren't expected to buy all comics released, especially @ that price point. I just the ones I like. Plus now it seems that you will be paying a lot more for variants.

some variants can go for $30.

[quote name='Rodimus']I spend about $1.80 - $2.40 per issue saving around 30% - 40% on the cover price.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, and plus stuff like Subscriptions and some websites offer discounts can get you prices like what Rod pays.

im mainly gold silver age, most stuff published today doesnt really interest me, except the indiana jones ombius dark horse did. That was great :)

My friend has a shitload of comics. Probably around 5 thousand or so. I only like to read the simpsons ones. Those are funny as hell and need to be made into episodes!

I remember the good old days when comics were $1..........

Now they are $4+....... how can kids collect these at this cost? It saddens me that this forces kids to playing video games

bread's done
Back