comics question

jerhicurl

CAG Veteran
I'm new to collecting comics, partially for profit and partially for the collecting aspect. I have an opportunity to get 2 sgt fury comics from 1960, 5 richie rich comics from the 60s and about 20 other comics for around a hundred bucks. Is it worth it. I also have to opportunity to buy a lot of about 400 comics for about 200. Can someone give me some advice on starting my collection. Thanks in advance.

Rules for collecting comics (from a 30 year veteran)
1) Buy and read what you like
2) Know that you are spending money on something that may be worth 10 cents in the future. Collecting for profit will usually lead to disappointment.

Also, most comics are more valuable to collectors if they feature a key moment or first appearance of a character. The condition of the book is very important, but a crappy condition Action Comics #1 will always be worth more (to collectors) than a mint condition Action Comics #2.

To really get the best idea of what the individual issues are worth, pick up an Overstreet Price Guide for Comics. You should be able to find one at Barnes & Noble or Borders if your local comic shop doesn't carry it. (If you have a local comic shop, that is)

To say "yes it's worth it" or "no it's not" without more details is impossible.
If you feel you can part with the money and it is stuff that you actually want, then the true value of the comics doesn't matter.

Ebay has totally changed the rules for the collectibles market, for the better in my opinion. Rare issues are so much easier to find now than 20 years ago. It's a fun hobby. For me, a lot of my enjoyment is the "hunt" for a particular issue that will complete your collection or series.

Are you reading anything now?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jerhicurl']I'm new to collecting comics, partially for profit and partially for the collecting aspect. I have an opportunity to get 2 sgt fury comics from 1960, 5 richie rich comics from the 60s and about 20 other comics for around a hundred bucks. Is it worth it. I also have to opportunity to buy a lot of about 400 comics for about 200. Can someone give me some advice on starting my collection. Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

Ummmm buy mine? :D I have a ton of them on my TL and I'm just looking to get out of them at a reasonable price(.50-$1 a book on average).

I stopped collecting and buying them a loooooong time ago, mainly due to the increasing prices and the fact that they kept 'messing up'(imo) the character(s) I mainly collected the books for(Punisher, Hulk).

As others said already, only buy books you will read and be prepared to be disappointed when your comics are worth next to nothing. Since most everybody keeps their comic books in pristine condition and there's routinely MILLIONS of copies printed per issue, collecting isn't exactly that good of an idea anymore. The same can also be said for coin collecting, especially the state quarters, since millions of people are/were collecting them during their run.

Actually, very few comics are printed let alone sold in the "millions" at all.
After the bubble burst in the mid-90's the industry hasn't really recovered to where it was before. Most 'speculators' stopped buying comics too, after X-Men #1, X-Force #1, Death of Superman, Bane breaking Batman's back, etc... in the 90's.

The number of printed comics per issue was actually much higher in the '60s than even today, but the costs involved were cheaper and the books were considered disposable, thus not as many were saved/collected as were printed.

Check out the Fantastic Four chart that is on this site for more info:
http://enterthestory.com/comic_sales.html

The problem with things like this, no one back then considered them collectible and most were tossed. Now... everyone assumes everything will hold value in 20 years, so people hoard stuff and much of it becomes common.

thanks guys. I have decided just to collect the uncanny xmen series as its the one I really like. I have a couple of other comics from the 60s however that I will just hold onto for a while. Richie rich and sgt fury are the comics by the way

bread's done
Back