Coming out as atheist to parents..

Capitalizt

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
This isn't me, but I thought it was lulzworthy the way the mom brings up Santa as a punishment.. It is such an appropriate representation of Christianity's "carrot and stick".. Be a good Christian and the good Santa in heaven will give you presents. Otherwise the bad Santa downstairs will come kick your ass. ;)
[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gri0d8In5iE&feature=player_embedded
[/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL at first I thought it was the husband and wife arguing, until I finally realized that blonde sitting down was the atheist son.

[quote name='mykevermin']Someone named 'capitalist' is mocking religion for being 'carrot-and-stick.'[/QUOTE]

If you believe carrot and stick is any kind of a derogatory term that can be applied to a person, you fail at the English language.

It's sad really... I wish people would just grow up and accept each other and their own beliefs. I mean, we are all individuals, are we not? As we mature and learn new things in life, our beliefs will inevitably change one way or another. With so many different types of nationalities, cultures, and religions, who's to say that there is only one right way to think? Isn't it ultimately up to you to decide how you go about living your own life? Isn't that the beauty of being human, and having the brain to question things, and contemplate why things are the way they are? I mean, I live my life trying to learn the most that I can about the world around me. I feel like being able to think outside the box, and being able to question the things around us are the true miracle of life. So why give in to someone else's beliefs when we have the ability to evolve our own???

[quote name='Capitalizt']If you believe carrot and stick is any kind of a derogatory term that can be applied to a person, you fail at the English language.[/QUOTE]

lol

I'm either an atheist, or perhaps just uninterested in whether or not there is a God. I'm here, I try to do the right thing for others, for my family, and for myself, though not always succeeding, and all that's pretty much what matters to me. Also I want to point out that religion and believing in a god are not necessarily the same things. I do have issues with many religions. I also happen to be married to the daughter of an Episcopalian minister (who passed away a few years ago), and I really, really liked my father in law. He was a great guy, he was in favor of allowing gay men and women to be ministers in the Church and advocated for it including making sermons saying such (not always to the pleasure of those listening), and I really think knowing him opened my eyes quite a bit to what the church, or at least the Episcopal church, is actually like, and what a minister of same is actually like - not what you see up on the pulpit. It was his job, he loved his job and he believed wholeheartedly in it, but he also was just a regular guy and sometimes didn't enjoy his job, just like anyone else. He was very happy to retire. The experience of knowing him and loving him hasn't made me "see the light", and he had no interest whatsoever in trying to make me believe in God. I was his son in law and he loved me, just as I did him.

[quote name='SpazX']lol[/QUOTE]

oh I get it now..capitalism..profit/loss...carrot/stick...har har. I was playing TF2 when I responded and minimized the game for a split second to reply. My brain has now defocused from the new engie sentry mode and is back to normal.

Aw, moved to vs. So much less exposure now.

Btw, I don't think he was connecting carrot/stick to profit/loss, but just using the idiom straight up, the same way you were using it.

[quote name='SpazX']Aw, moved to vs. So much less exposure now.

Btw, I don't think he was connecting carrot/stick to profit/loss, but just using the idiom straight up, the same way you were using it.[/QUOTE]

Why is that? Is somebody that upset about a little conflict?

When I was a kid my mom took me to church every Sunday, and I liked it because I had friends in Sunday school. When I decided I didn't want to go anymore she said "okay" and I haven't been since.

/Massachusetts

[quote name='punklivz']i'm just wondering how evolution gave us eye lashes[/QUOTE]

I would assume to help keep crap out of our eyes...

[quote name='UncleBob']I would assume to help keep crap out of our eyes...[/QUOTE]

Yup just like thousands of other animals do. Just like we have canine teeth for tearing meat like animals, just like we have finger nails for self defense like animals do, just like our eyes are on the front of our heads so we can see our prey like animals that hunt do, and dozens of other things we share directly with animals. Course the aposable thumb like apes also.

Besides, how christianity and its bazillion spinoffs all be right? Especially since all their rituals, holidays, alot of their songs and such were just stolen from pagans and then re-spun as ways of making us behave.

[quote name='gargus']Besides, how christianity and its bazillion spinoffs all be right? Especially since all their rituals, holidays, alot of their songs and such were just stolen from pagans
[/QUOTE]

jeremiah102copy.jpg

I enjoy sharing that quote around Christmas.
:lol:

[quote name='Capitalizt']This isn't me, but I thought it was lulzworthy the way the mom brings up Santa as a punishment.. It is such an appropriate representation of Christianity's "carrot and stick".. [/QUOTE]

Meh. I see it more as a representation of a child growing up and pushing beyond the boundaries his parents set. I'm sure something like this happens to just about every teenager out there at one time or another.

[quote name='punklivz']i'm just wondering how evolution gave us eye lashes[/QUOTE]

When I was in high school, a few of my friends and I actually had a serious discussion about this. We ultimately came to the conclusion that eyelashes are the "last line of defense for your eyes".

[quote name='Cantatus']When I was in high school, a few of my friends and I actually had a serious discussion about this. We ultimately came to the conclusion that eyelashes are the "last line of defense for your eyes".[/QUOTE]

Either that, or men have always thought long eye lashes were sexy, thus leading to only women with long eye lashes having offspring. :lol:

And this stuff happens every day, that kid isn't alone. Kids have much easier access to information these days, and when you have a world of knowledge at your disposal, it's kind of hard to blindly follow some fairy tale your parents told you.

[quote name='Capitalizt']or why it gave men nipples..[/QUOTE]

Ummm it's probably a precautionary measure. I mean you do realize, in the right circumstances, a man can actually lactate right?

women who never give children can produce breast milk... it's very crazy. There are so many questions, that it is hard for me to believe whole heartily in just one religion. I like to ask myself, what if I were born in another country, I would probably be guided to their most native religion. For myself, I have pieced together things I've learned from many religions, and in fact I do think there is a God, or many Gods- whichever anyone prefers. I think that as long as you believe in anything, or nothing then nobody should judge you, and you are right in whatever you chose to believe. I personally do not feel comfortable finding just one religion, and attending err paying to worship whichever God they think is right.

I really want to know what began first... How can anything be made from nothing? Like space, time etc... there had to be a beginning... what was it... no religion can tell me this, and until then I cannot claim to follow any of the "popular" religions.

The fundamental question of the "beginning" is flawed, I agree with SpazX. Either it was "WILD UNIVERSE APPEARED" or the universe always existed. Most western religions actually go with the "then there was ___" line of thinking, oddly enough. It's religion that says from nothing came everything. Unless god existed physically, but I could turn that into a Sagan quote with ease.

Science's theories are generally about lack of a beginning. The big bang might have started the universe as we know it, but that little dense ball that is everything existed before that.

Now, before that, science can't say for sure. Even the big bang is somewhat of a mystery. Even today the universe appears to break the laws of physics. Truly, the quantum/relativity gap is hard to fill, and we are confounded by it as of late.

I mean you do realize, in the right circumstances, a man can actually lactate right?
Not much of precaution, more of a fluke. First life was asexual and then hermaphroditic, there are bound to be similarities in the two when one goes with evolution.We have nipples because that one guy without nipple

If a god or the God can either "just appear" or "always have been there", why can't the universe "just appear" or "always have been there"?

[quote name='Cantatus']Meh. I see it more as a representation of a child growing up and pushing beyond the boundaries his parents set. I'm sure something like this happens to just about every teenager out there at one time or another.[/QUOTE]

That's unfair.

The kid was calmly stating that he didn't believe in his parent's religion.
The mother responds, in true Christian fashion, but grabbing him, pushing him, and threatening him.

Listen I hate whiny idiot teens as much as the next guy. But this kid was just voicing his opinion on his parent's extremely controversial belief system, and his mother's response was extreme, abusive and (unfortunately) all too typical of Christians.

[quote name='camoor'][...]his mother's response was extreme, abusive and (unfortunately) all too typical of Christians.[/QUOTE]

Wow. I assume you have a source for this statement?

What percentage of Christians abuse their children vs. the percentage of Non-Christians when the children use their words to disagree with their parents beliefs?

I should get an acquaintance to join this site for this thread alone, I'm sure he would be very comfortable gettin all pseudo intellectual on the internet.

I hated church, too much getting up and sitting down. It was like gym class minus the Pop hits and friends.

[quote name='DrSodaberg']I hated church, too much getting up and sitting down. It was like gym class minus the Pop hits and friends.[/QUOTE]

You must have had an awful gym class.

I am in awe of the wisdom of the teenage mind :roll:

So let me get this straight. teenager tells parents that he does not like their Christian faith (what a brave little trailblazer!)
Christian parent acts abusive toward teenager, thus proving that god does not exist.

they should have left the tape rolling I am sure we would also learn that he also doesn't like to eat vegetables and that he no longer wants to clean his room.

[quote name='xxDOYLExx']I am in awe of the wisdom of the teenage mind :roll:

So let me get this straight. teenager tells parents that he does not like their Christian faith (what a brave little trailblazer!)
Christian parent acts abusive toward teenager, thus proving that god does not exist.

they should have left the tape rolling I am sure we would also learn that he also doesn't like to eat vegetables and that he no longer wants to clean his room.[/QUOTE]

I don't care how much you love the Jebus, there is no excuse for the mothers abusive behavior.

[quote name='camoor']I don't care how much you love the Jebus, there is no excuse for the mothers abusive behavior.[/QUOTE]

Who is excusing the mothers behavior? why are you so desperate to to point out that these dirt bags are Christian?

[quote name='xxDOYLExx']Who is excusing the mothers behavior? why are you so desperate to to point out that these dirt bags are Christian?[/QUOTE]

Why are you so desparate to portray this teenager as a juvenile brat?

[quote name='Clak']Because Christians have spread their faith through violence for centuries?[/QUOTE]

To be fair it's not just violence. They use verbal abuse, the legal system, and brainwashing as well.

[quote name='camoor']To be fair it's not just violence. They use verbal abuse, the legal system, and brainwashing as well.[/QUOTE]

Unlike atheists, scientologists, muslims, jews, hindus and any other system of personal beliefs which use verbal abuse, the legal system and brainwashing.

[quote name='camoor']Southpark did it.[/QUOTE]
Thats the thing; It's stupid to believe in anything blindly. Be it theoretical science we have yet to observe, or be it god(s).

[quote name='plasticbathmonki']Unlike atheists, scientologists, muslims, jews, hindus and any other system of personal beliefs which use verbal abuse, the legal system and brainwashing.[/QUOTE]

Fixed.

[quote name='Capitalizt']Fixed.[/QUOTE]
There are, unfortunately, a lot of insane atheists who are very vehement about it and mouth off to honest religious people.

Of couse, a lot of religious people aren't crazy. That isn't to say they're all sane.

Same with atheists.

[quote name='camoor']To be fair it's not just violence. They use verbal abuse, the legal system, and brainwashing as well.[/QUOTE]

you just described Joseph Stalin.

[quote name='dorino']There are, unfortunately, a lot of insane atheists who are very vehement about it and mouth off to honest religious people.

Of couse, a lot of religious people aren't crazy. That isn't to say they're all sane.

Same with atheists.[/QUOTE]

I haven't seen any of that.. I'm sure there are a few nutjobs out there, but atheists don't make it a practice to preach to strangers unless they are engaged in a conversation about religion. I haven't seen any atheists riding around on bicycles in suit, tie, and bike helmets passing out copies of Hitchens' latest book. ;) I saw some of those crazy Mormon bastards doing it yesterday.

bread's done
Back