Comming to ebay next week"Best Offer"

masha

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
"We are pleased to announce that in the next week we will be introducing Best Offer, a new option for sellers with Fixed Price listings. This often-requested feature will give sellers more flexibility when listing items in the Fixed Price format, giving them the ability to accept price-based offers from buyers before a listing ends.

If they choose, sellers can add this free feature to indicate during the listing process that they will allow buyers to submit an offer for that item. Buyers can then “name their price,” and the seller can review all offers received in My eBay. If an offer is for a satisfactory amount, the seller can accept it and the listing will be closed.

Best Offer provides the following benefits for sellers:

* More Flexibility - Add the Best Offer option to live listings at any time before they close.
* Helps Get the Right Price –You can receive multiple requests and review all for the best price.
* Helps Move Inventory Quickly – You can accept offers for multi-quantity items, even at different prices.

Best Offer will also be available for Store Inventory format listings.

For Buyers
When a seller chooses to accept offers on a listing, a “Submit Best Offer” link will appear below the Buy It Now button on the item page. After you click the link, you will be able to enter your offer price on the next page. You can also view all your submitted offers, as well as those accepted by sellers, within My eBay."

http://pages.ebay.com/bestoffer/?ssPageName=CMDV:AB

Interesting, although I haven't done a fixed price auction yet. I always put a starting bid a little below my BIN.

My first question was wondering if these 'Best Offers' would be binding, and eBay answers that in the FAQ.

5. Are Best Offers binding?
Yes, Best Offers are binding just like bids.

I assumed that would have to be the case as the process would be too damn unwieldly if a seller would have to wait for the buyer to confirm they still want the item after accepting a Best Offer.

Although it sounds interesting, I can already see the dozens of e-mails a seller would get on something like, RE 4 for example, with offers of $1 - $5 which would probably start to get very annoying after a while, especially if you have multiple listings.

[quote name='maxflight']how is it bad that they're releasing this free feature?[/quote]

Like Buy It Now, they'll start charging fees to use it before you know it.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']Although it sounds interesting, I can already see the dozens of e-mails a seller would get on something like, RE 4 for example, with offers of $1 - $5 which would probably start to get very annoying after a while, especially if you have multiple listings.[/quote]

I imagine that could be the case. It also mentions in the FAQ that you will receive an e-mail for every offer. (Though most of eBays e-mails come from a specialized address so they'll probably come from something like [email protected] and you can just funnel all those to a folder.) Might be good if they implemented a feature where you can automatically throw out any 'Best Offers' below $X for a given item.

Probably something I'd try out on an auction or two if I did fixed price, just to see how it went.

[quote name='javeryh']Doesn't this defeat the purpose of bidding?[/quote]

You don't bid on fixed price listings. This only applies to those.

And if they charge a fee, you're perfectly welcome to NOT use the feature.
Ebay doesn't have a monopoly. Or if they do, it's because they offer what no other auction site does.
I don't get all the outrage, no one's forcing you to sell stuff there.
Automotive Classified Ads at the Boston Globe, for instance, cost 24$ a line. And a major metro newspaper is much more of a 'monopoly' than a website.
A bargain, the Seattle PI gives you 2 lines for 24 bucks, which run for a whole 7 days.
I'll stick with Ebay.

[quote name='dtcarson']And if they charge a fee, you're perfectly welcome to NOT use the feature.
Ebay doesn't have a monopoly. Or if they do, it's because they offer what no other auction site does.
I don't get all the outrage, no one's forcing you to sell stuff there.
Automotive Classified Ads at the Boston Globe, for instance, cost 24$ a line. And a major metro newspaper is much more of a 'monopoly' than a website.
A bargain, the Seattle PI gives you 2 lines for 24 bucks, which run for a whole 7 days.
I'll stick with Ebay.[/quote]

Have fun dealing with all the idiots and morons that seem to be everywhere on eBay these days. I quit eBay last year, my health and mental well-being improved so much it was unbelievable.

I like to think its one single guy out there on all of Ebay, bidding ridiculous prices from a tea pot to Metal Gear Substance. One day I will run over that one guy w/ my truck.

[quote name='SolidSnakeX99']I like to think its one single guy out there on all of Ebay, bidding ridiculous prices from a tea pot to Metal Gear Substance. One day I will run over that one guy w/ my truck.[/quote] :D

bread's done
Back