Component Cable problem

Drizzt

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
I bought a PS 2 component cable from monoprice since the HDMI cables I had purchased from them have worked great so far. However, I'm having a strange problem that I'm not sure if it's the cable's fault, or something to do with my TV. I've only tested a couple of games so far, but I've noticed the same thing in both. The first game I tested was FF12 where during the opening movie I start seeing these blue/greenish flickering lines across the screen, but only during the heavy action parts of the opening. The beginning of the opening and such are fine. I then tested Fatal Frame 3, and noticed the same thing to a lesser extent during its opening sequence, since it doesn't have as much action occuring, it didn't happen as much. With Fatal Frame, I decided to play for about 10 minutes or so to see if I noticed it happening during gameplay, including getting into a fight with a spirit since that would pick up the action on the screen a little bit, and I didn't see anything.

I've already made sure the cables are tight in both my TV and the back of the PS 2. For reference I have a fat PS 2 and my TV is a Samsung 40 inch LCD if that helps any. Anyone have any ideas of why I'm only noticing this problem during cutscenes?

EDIT: Also, I made sure that the component display selection was selected in the PS 2 system display settings.

I think it would be worth trying another cable if you can, though of course that means buying another cable if you can't borrow one. If you have to buy one I'd suggest going to Gamestop and buy a used PS2 component cable. That's where I got mine and it works fine and it was cheap. I actually got two there. One was a monster cable brand and one was some other brand. Both work just as well as the other. If the same problem happens with both cables then it's either your TV or your PS2 or perhaps even just the game.

I have a FAT PS2 and haven't noticed anything like you're saying, but I haven't played those games and usually I just skip cut scenes.

Late replying back to this, but just wanted to say thanks. It looks like the cable that monoprice gave me is partly defective since I got Gamestop's generic cable, and the lines are gone. Thanks again.

bread's done
Back