Component Cable Problems

Sockey

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I recently got oficial sony component cables for my hdtv. I followed the instructions and set my PS2 to component and 16:9. However whenever I play a game everything looks slightly pixelated and jagged around the edges. I have tried the cables with my PS2 on 2 tvs and this happens on both. I suspect that there is somthing wrong with the cables but before I return them I would like to know if this has happened to anybody else and if so what to do. Thanks

I don think so. It looks far better with no pixelation or jagged edges with normal composite cables. I know it is not supposed to look this way with component cables.

[quote name='Sockey']I don think so. It looks far better with no pixelation or jagged edges with normal composite cables. I know it is not supposed to look this way with component cables.[/QUOTE]
It's the cables! What do you think component cables do? They bring out the crispness in the image. The PS2 does not have the AA power needed to clean up the image. Composite looks better because the image is not detailed enough where you can see the pixels stand out. So you can keep exchanging cables all you want but you will get the same outcome.

[quote name='Sockey']So people pay $20 to get a worse picture on their ps2?[/QUOTE]
No, the main focus of the image is indeed improved. The backgrounds and secondary stuff gets jaggy.

Like GT4 is a perfect example. The cars and immediate track looking stunning. The backgrounds and such look pretty bad, especially next to the main focus of the screen.

So its better yes, but not every part is improved.

[quote name='Sockey']So people pay $20 to get a worse picture on their ps2?[/QUOTE]
I assume that you are going to return or exchange the cables. I'm just telling you that is not the problem. This coming from experience. I have 2 LCD's and a plasma and have component cables that I bought and dont even use because S-Video looks better to me. The only system that I have components on is the Xbox. Even the "almighty" monster cables will not help you.

No I don't plan on returning them. Im just dissapointed after reading such positive reviews on amazon. Also, everywhere I've read that component is better than s-video...

[quote name='Sockey']No I don't plan on returning them. Im just dissapointed after reading such positive reviews on amazon. Also, everywhere I've read that component is better than s-video...[/QUOTE]

Yes component is better than S-video, just not on a PS2.

Component looks frikkin awesome on a non-hd CRT tv though. I mean the improvement over Composite... even S-Video is really great for me. It's so much more crisp, the colors stay in place, and my favorite, the font looks amazing. M-azing in fact.

[quote name='Ravaged']Component looks frikkin awesome on a non-hd CRT tv though. I mean the improvement over Composite... even S-Video is really great for me. It's so much more crisp, the colors stay in place, and my favorite, the font looks amazing. M-azing in fact.[/QUOTE]

I did see an improvement using component on a non-HD CRT as well. R&C 2 and 3 especially look pretty nice.

You'll definitely see the jaggies while playing with component cables. I wish I knew that before I bought the cable. However, playing games with progressive scan enabled like God of War is just awesome.

bread's done
Back