Composite cable question

sportdan30

CAGiversary!
I just picked up a PS3 yesterday. I have an HDMI cable, but I'm assuming I need to purchase new composite cables (blue, green red)? Am I better purchasing one from monoprice or are they reasonable enough to pick one up from Target or Wal-Mart?

Thanks.

He might have one of those TV's that have a bad interaction with the PS3 HDMI, like some Samsung models (although those can be upgraded with a firmware update).

If I have a HDMI cable, am I good to go then? By using just the red, yellow, and white cables I'll still be gaming in HD?

Er, you're confusing things I think: the HDMI cable is the video cable.

Sadly most TV's and pretty much all gaming consoles aren't bad ass enough to support HDMI 1.3 which allows the sound to travel with the video signal (newer Samsungs are though).

YOu need the Red/White cable for Sound, HDMI for video in HD. If you get an Optical cable for Sound, then you'll get better sound (assuming you're receiver/tv supports that).

Thanks for setting things straight for me Meester. So, I'll just use the cables that came with the PS3, along with the HDMI for video. I do have an optical cable as well. I just need to set up my surround sound and I should be set.

Thanks everyone.

[quote name='meesterjojo']Sadly most TV's and pretty much all gaming consoles aren't bad ass enough to support HDMI 1.3 which allows the sound to travel with the video signal (newer Samsungs are though).[/quote]

This is completely and totally false. HDMI 1.1 can carry audio up to and including 7.1 channel, 24-bit/96khz PCM. DD and DTS are likewise no problem whatsoever. 1.3 is ONLY needed to transport advanced audio codecs (DD+, TrueHD, DTS-HD HR/MA) in their still-compressed form.

Pretty much every TV ever made that has an HDMI input is 1.1 compatible and hence supports audio.

Since nobody has corrected him yet....

The blue/green/red set of cables are called "component" cables

Composite refers to the single yellow plug.

if your TV takes HDMI then you're good to go, one cable and it solves your video and audio problems. Thats how my ps3 is hooked up.

[quote name='kleptoix']if your TV takes HDMI then you're good to go, one cable and it solves your video and audio problems. Thats how my ps3 is hooked up.[/QUOTE]

Same here, those crappy ol' red, white and yellow cables are still in their baggie.

[quote name='geko29']This is completely and totally false. HDMI 1.1 can carry audio up to and including 7.1 channel, 24-bit/96khz PCM. DD and DTS are likewise no problem whatsoever. 1.3 is ONLY needed to transport advanced audio codecs (DD+, TrueHD, DTS-HD HR/MA) in their still-compressed form.

Pretty much every TV ever made that has an HDMI input is 1.1 compatible and hence supports audio.[/quote]

QFT.

OP, if your TV supports HDMI, then use that only. It will carry both the audio and video signals.

If you have an HDMI receiver, you are in even better shape. I currently run my ps3 to my receiver via HDMI, then from my receiver to my projector via HDMI and from my receiver to my LCD TV via HDMI as well.

bread's done
Back