Compusa: Maxtor 160 Gig HD $80, perfect for PS2/HDLoader - in store only?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kev

CAGiversary!
I know the Hdloader only reads up to 120 gigs but this drive is cheaper than any 120 gig I've found on pricewatch.

160 gigs, 7200 RPM,8 MB cache (yay!) = $80.

There's no rebate, just $80 out the door. This will work in a PS2 according to http://ps2drives.x-pec.com/?p=list.

From what I can tell this is NOT offered online as I looked everywhere. I don't know if any other stores will price match this either but I'm going to check at Best Buy when I go today since it's closer than CompUSA.

I just got mine off of ebay from someone selling them buy it now for $29.70 (36.65 w/shipping) He had about 60 left. Might be able to get it slightly cheaper but it was easier for me since I had some paypal money to play with.

Are you running as a single partition? Exceeding the addressing limits of ATA100 was part of the motivation for ATA133.

Western Digital doesn't do ATA100 because they drank the Intel Kool-Ade and went straight to SATA. This is costing them sales among people who build their systems and in the ATA133 RAID sector which still enjoys a price advantage over SATA. A lot of these same people already avoid WD like the plague due to very high numbers of defective drives in the 90's. This may no longer be te case. All of my WD drives are fine but a lot of people still hold a grudge[/quote]

I hold a grudge because the ONLY HDD that I remember breaking down around here was a WD. I especially resent this because I'm gonna have to pay thousands of dollars to get a shitload of my material OFF the HDD. :x

[quote name='jkam']I just got mine off of ebay from someone selling them buy it now for $29.70 (36.65 w/shipping) He had about 60 left. Might be able to get it slightly cheaper but it was easier for me since I had some paypal money to play with.[/quote]

I got mine off of ebay also!, but a diffrent seller, he wanted 29.25+4.75 S/H... I also got a brand new ps2 NA model(35%off)+ the double pack of sony memory cards(60%off)

[quote name='zewone'][quote name='TiKi2']So where did you guys get your HDloader programs from???[/quote]

consolesource.com[/quote]

I just placed an order with them. I hope they're reliable. How long did it take to ship and get it?

Droide your order will be queued for a few days, don't worry it will ship eventually, you should have it close to within the 5 day range if you chose express shipping. I just got mine after 5 days.

BTW Anyone know if theres anyway to connect an SATA HDD to the IDE interface on the ps2 network adapter? I tried finding some sort of adapter but was unsuccessful.....thanks in advance

Consolesource.com is as good as it gets. They are very reliable and have great support. No worries. The only concern with such a hot item is that their supply may be really bombarded by the long queue of people eager to get their hands on this puppy.

Thanks for info on consolesource. I was a little worried because they're in Canada. And I've been in queue for over 24 hours (Their websites says ships in 24). I'm a little eager to test the hdloader out. I picked up the 160GB HDD from Compusa yesterday in preparation for it.

I went to Staples for a price match plus 10% off and I got this hard drive for $79.01. This is great!

I actuallly picked up 2 160gb's at compusa and a PS2 Online Pack at FYE for $119.99 after a $30 rebate. I still have a ton of FYE store credits that I need to use since the ink on the receipt is starting to fade.

so guys can you confirm if these hd's will work infact with hdloader.. i need to get a new hd for it..also can ff11 still be installed on it?? or will it only work with the 40gb...

and is there a link to buy from cuz im too lazy to go to a damn store..

[quote name='guyver2077']so guys can you confirm if these hd's will work infact with hdloader.. i need to get a new hd for it..also can ff11 still be installed on it?? or will it only work with the 40gb...

and is there a link to buy from cuz im too lazy to go to a damn store..[/quote]

Here's a list that has been going on for HD compatibility.
http://ps2drives.x-pec.com/?p=list.

The compusa retail boxed Maxtor HD should be model no. L01P160. At least that's the retail version I got. 160GB, 7200RPM, 8MB Cache, Ultra ATA/133.

yea thx i saw list but does anyone know where to get one on that list at a deal price....comp usa kinda far and im positive they run out of stock by now

This is the best deal I know of this week. Maybe something will pop up next week. You can check store inventory at compusa.com

[quote name='guyver2077']damn kool thanks... the one closest too me says in stock...

its a mission to go to comp usa but i just might go...its $80 right?[/quote]

[quote name='Sheik Rattle Enroll']I'd actually reccommend a samsung drive, they're much quieter, faster, and cooler running than the maxtors. You can pick up an 80 gig SP0802N from newegg for $65.[/quote]

If you don't want to go to CompUSA you could grab this 80 gig drive. I ordered one yesterday. Not as much storage but a little cheaper. No tax in some areas although I got hit with it and free shipping. It is on the compatibility list as well.

LINK

Can't wait until all my stuff arrives!

Same I ordered that Samsung drive yesterday morning and this morning I got my tracking number for the fed ex package. Alot faster than I thought figuring 24-48 hours before it ships.

My shipment from consolesource.com should be here soon. Hopefully by Sat everything will be here.

well i went to compusa but they were all out....but i did get the last one at bestbuy and did a pricematch....so im happy i got it......

now i jsut need to decide what to do since the loader only reads up to 120. if my current 120 hd in my computer works with the loader (western digital i think) can i clone my current hd onto the 160 and use the 120 for the hdloader??

I just tried the hd loader yesterday. I loaded about 3 games onto the thing with the 160 gb maxtor that compusa has. It works fast and fine. The hd loader read the hdd as being 127 gb.

[quote name='Gosha']I just tried the hd loader yesterday. I loaded about 3 games onto the thing with the 160 gb maxtor that compusa has. It works fast and fine. The hd loader read the hdd as being 127 gb.[/quote]

Thanks for the info

Oh, btw, if anyone else uses the hdloader, can you try out Capcom Vs. SNK 2. I loaded a legit copy of it onto the thing, but for some reason the music doesn't work. I tried enabling the modes, etc..., no luck though. I emailed the people at hdloader.com about it.

How would I pricematch this? Just print out the online ad, bring it the front desk of staples and ask them to pricematch it? THanks for any help.

Mildly off topic, but here's a good tip for those of you with hdloader: before playing a game, hit install and then cancel, that way your dvd drive won't keep spinning, which it does most of the time otherwise for some crazy reason.

the dude at staples was giving me mad sas, first he was like it doesn't apply with instant rebate. I then replied saying that the policy didn't say anything about instant rebates. Then the guy took my ad and went into the back for 40 minutes and "called" compusa. He finally came out and told me that the competitor has to have the item in stock too. So, any other ideas?

I just picked mine up from Staples with no problem. Total was $72.99 with 110% Price Guarantee and no sales tax since I'm in Oregon. The guy gave me no crap and even said "That's a nice deal!"

[quote name='jkam']I just got mine off of ebay from someone selling them buy it now for $29.70 (36.65 w/shipping) He had about 60 left. Might be able to get it slightly cheaper but it was easier for me since I had some paypal money to play with.[/quote]

I bought mine from the same guy, bought and paid paypal on monday. Now i just need to buy a hard drive. :p

120 gigs = 27 games! Sweet

unless they are dual layer games.

[quote name='$hady'][quote name='jkam']I just got mine off of ebay from someone selling them buy it now for $29.70 (36.65 w/shipping) He had about 60 left. Might be able to get it slightly cheaper but it was easier for me since I had some paypal money to play with.[/quote]

I bought mine from the same guy, bought and paid paypal on monday. Now i just need to buy a hard drive. :p

120 gigs = 27 games! Sweet

unless they are dual layer games.[/quote]

You should be able to get a lot more than 27 games on there. Most games don't even come close to filling a DVD-5. In fact, if you examine the back of the boxes you'll see that many PS2 games, Ico and Maximo for example, are not on DVD but use CD instead.

One interesting aspect of the power of current generation consoles is that quite a lot of animation that would once have been streamed from the disc is now performed with real-time animation. This takes up a lot less space than compressed video files. So a game laoded with cinematic sequences can fit in a smaller spae than the same game on PSone relying on FMV to deliver acceptable animation quality.

The prerendered stuff is still much better looking, of course, but games like FF X offer some very encouraging ideas of what the next generation will offer.

[quote name='maxgle']I checked the site
obvious this 160G hd only works for Version 7 PS2 and mine is V4 according to
http://www.whitedog.co.uk/ps2-version.shtml

has anyone test this HD on different version adn work?[/quote]

Although I don't know the answer to your question...wouldn't it be safe to assume as long as it fits and works with one version of the PS2 it would work for all of them? I say this because it says on the hdloader site the only versions of the PS2's that don't work are the first three japanese models.

Sold out here, sold out online, BB, Staples won't pricematch because they are not in stock at Compusa. I guess it just wasnt meant to be. Maybe next time.

[quote name='maxgle']you are right, forget all that, I am just going to buy the HD[/quote]

You could also ask Gosha what version PS2 it is.

[quote name='Gosha']I just tried the hd loader yesterday. I loaded about 3 games onto the thing with the 160 gb maxtor that compusa has. It works fast and fine. The hd loader read the hdd as being 127 gb.[/quote]

Word.

[quote name='CocaineReaver2k']How would I pricematch this? Just print out the online ad, bring it the front desk of staples and ask them to pricematch it? THanks for any help.[/quote]

This what I did to get pricematch plus extra 10% off from CompUSA's price at Staples. I went to CompUSA store and get the printed ads in the entrance. Then I go to Staples and ask a guy who works there about the pricematch plus extra 10% off store policy, then the guy read the ads and thinks for few seconds. Then the guy said he will do it and he tells another clerk to give me pricematch plus 10% off (110% pricematch or something like that). He didn't even check if CompUSA has this hdd or not. Cool guy.

How did you guys get pricematch at bestbuy? I went to bestbuy and the guy I asked say bestbuy don't pricematch.

Anybody order from consolesource.com lately for the HDloader? I placed an order yesterday morning and paid for it PayPal and it still says "I" on my order history.

[quote name='PrinceNeil']Anybody order from consolesource.com lately for the HDloader? I placed an order yesterday morning and paid for it PayPal and it still says "I" on my order history.[/quote]

If you are worried, use their customer service system to email them (highly recommended). I ordered Monday morning, emailed them same day, got a response Wednesday, and it has shipped Thurday. It seems like it will take 3+ days to ship out, not 24 hrs like advertised.

EDIT: BTW, their toll free phone no. did not work.

I'm not home right now, but I think I have a v7 ps2. If I remember correctly, its the 310000R version. I'll look up the number when I get home.

I've heard of the hd loader having some problems loading imports with v9 ps2s. You can only load imports if your system is either modded, or with swap magic discs.

If you haven't got Hdloader yet, grab it quick!
Sony finally awoke from their slumber and supposedly going after anyone who sells the product with all its power.
I ordered one but haven't received a shipment or cancel notice yet.

I think they mentioned the cease & desist memo from Sony only restricts U.S.-based distributors, so places like ConsoleSource (located in Canada) can still operate like normal. Also, the list of problematic and non-compatible PS2 games is longer than expected (i.e. Arc the Lad, Devil May Cry, Contra, and some of the newer games...kinda disappointed)

[quote name='FatBoyInside']I think they mentioned the cease & desist memo from Sony only restricts U.S.-based distributors, so places like ConsoleSource (located in Canada) can still operate like normal. Also, the list of problematic and non-compatible PS2 games is longer than expected (i.e. Arc the Lad, Devil May Cry, Contra, and some of the newer games...kinda disappointed)[/quote]

It's not suprising that Sony is a bit bent...but if I actually rented games to copy I would be losing money considering I have been paying around $5 for new games. :D

Also (here) is what seems like a homegrown list of non-compatible games along with compatibility modes for other games.

[quote name='jkam']It's not suprising that Sony is a bit bent...but if I actually rented games to copy I would be losing money considering I have been paying around $5 for new games. :D
[/quote]

Not if you pick-up those "gamer pass" for unlimited rentals ($20 per month, or $50 for a 3-month pass). :wink: Oh the possibilities...but my BBV normally only have old games in stock.

[quote name='droidekaspam'][quote name='PrinceNeil']Anybody order from consolesource.com lately for the HDloader? I placed an order yesterday morning and paid for it PayPal and it still says "I" on my order history.[/quote]

If you are worried, use their customer service system to email them (highly recommended). I ordered Monday morning, emailed them same day, got a response Wednesday, and it has shipped Thurday. It seems like it will take 3+ days to ship out, not 24 hrs like advertised.

EDIT: BTW, their toll free phone no. did not work.[/quote]

I actually emailed them that same day that I purchased it because right after I paid with PayPal, it took me back to their(consolesource) site and gave me a failed payment error message. I checked my PayPal account and it went through just fine but I don't know about their end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back