CompUSA Red Star Inventory Blowout B&M YMMV

little_krampy

CAGiversary!
CompUSA has been clearancing some inventory for some time now. I don't know if this is a new promo that I stumbled upon or not. But I noticed on the website there is a red star thing going on right now where you save an additional 25% off the clearance price. AND you can check your local stores inventory online! Just looking through a few Wisconsin stores...which I'm not even close to unfortunately...I see some nice deals on hardware. Just thought I'd mention this so hopefully some of you CAGs can score some nice deals.

Link to store selection page
- Select your state
- then on the next page click on "See this store's listing of blowout items"

Examples from Brookfield location:
Norwood P42BSAT 42-inch Plasma EDTV $899.98 - $225.00 = $674.98 (2 in stock)
Game Boy Advance SP, Onyx $49.98 - $12.50 = $37.48 (2 in stock)
GameCube, Platinum Limited Edition $74.98 - $18.75 = $56.23 (4 in stock)

Examples from Madison location:
Magnavox 15MF150V/37 15-inch LCD TV $249.98 - $62.50 = $187.48 (2 in stock)
Xbox Console $99.98 - $25.00 = $74.98 (2 in stock)

Just looking through some other stores I've seen some of the following:
GB Micro Black for $69.98 - $17.50 = $52.48
DS Electric Blue for $119.98 - $30 = $89.98
PS2 Slimline for $129.98 - $32.50 = $97.48
PSP for $179.98 - $45 = $134.98

Might want to try using this too
$10 off $100 purchase

picked up a coolermaster Mars heatsink for $12 at the Paramus ,NJ compusa, funny since i just picked a Zalman heatsink for $70 at Microcenter and then i go to Compusa and find one that will fit even better with my Striker Extreme MB for only $12...sign said 2 days left

king of prussia, pa store will be closing monday and is at the 60-68% discount level. PC games and movies at 70%. Most movies are $3, lots of copies of final fantasy movie but at $6. Not many console games left (many more pc games at this point), but they are 60% off. Some 360 accessories/360 monster cables.

Computers all gone (except for some junky ancient computers). Couple of tv stands left. Lots of monster cables left plus other random accessories. GPS's gone. Few cheap satellite radios left.

CompUSA as a whole is going to end up going under and you'll see Circuit City follow suit. Basically speaking Best Buy's "instant rebates" are murdering both and you might well see other regional chains die as well. A friend (loosely) of mine was an assistant regional manager for Circuit City (he now works for Macys). He told me nearly 6-8 months back that CompUSA was dead and CC will follow. Basically some "third parties" are responsible for the Best Buy rebate ability. In other words instead of Best Buy investing your rebate dough drawing interest the "rebate dough" comes from third parties though he refused to mention from where when I asked.

The instant rebates are far more attractive to customers thus for the items where CC and CompUSA can make real money they are unable to compete. Video games do not make these places real money in comparison to most other forms of merchandise. Gamestop for example will actually make more money reselling used recent releases than they do nearly anything else in the stores. From what I heard about Gamestop they are concerned now that the aquisition of EB Games may well result in both ending up dead and out of business. MANY (many) people who shopped at EB are now shopping online as "the deals" pretty much went out the window. I was at a EB last week where I have known the manager for years. I asked "Where have all the specials gone" (I only shopped at Gamestop basically for those "Reg/Green Tag" specials, 20% off, 30% etc.) and EB games had them show up after GS aquired them.

He told me that all the "Tag Specials" have been done away with and that GS aquiring EB Games has resulted in stymied competition where consumers will now shop online and places like Best Buy, Target etc. for new releases. Basically rather than going to EB or Gamestop where you might have bought a new release and checked out some discounted or used/closeout people are no longer doing so. Guess time will tell on this one.

[quote name='portnoyd']Informative post. I hope it turns out true. Viva la mom & pop game stores? >.>[/quote]

No. They're even less profitable than GS or CC. This will mean death to deals. Best Buy will leave games at full price longer since there will be less competition to drive prices down.

Circuit City is actually on the rebound around here (Jacksonville, FL) whereas Best Buy has lost quite a bit of business. They've built one new Circuit City and renovated another in the past year, and they always have better deals.

The two CompUSAs in town are both rather shitastic, though, and they always have been. I mean "shitastic" not only in terms of prices, but the stores literally smell like shit too.

[quote name='rgtss']CompUSA as a whole is going to end up going under and you'll see Circuit City follow suit. Basically speaking Best Buy's "instant rebates" are murdering both and you might well see other regional chains die as well. A friend (loosely) of mine was an assistant regional manager for Circuit City (he now works for Macys). He told me nearly 6-8 months back that CompUSA was dead and CC will follow. Basically some "third parties" are responsible for the Best Buy rebate ability. In other words instead of Best Buy investing your rebate dough drawing interest the "rebate dough" comes from third parties though he refused to mention from where when I asked.

The instant rebates are far more attractive to customers thus for the items where CC and CompUSA can make real money they are unable to compete. Video games do not make these places real money in comparison to most other forms of merchandise. Gamestop for example will actually make more money reselling used recent releases than they do nearly anything else in the stores. From what I heard about Gamestop they are concerned now that the aquisition of EB Games may well result in both ending up dead and out of business. MANY (many) people who shopped at EB are now shopping online as "the deals" pretty much went out the window. I was at a EB last week where I have known the manager for years. I asked "Where have all the specials gone" (I only shopped at Gamestop basically for those "Reg/Green Tag" specials, 20% off, 30% etc.) and EB games had them show up after GS aquired them.

He told me that all the "Tag Specials" have been done away with and that GS aquiring EB Games has resulted in stymied competition where consumers will now shop online and places like Best Buy, Target etc. for new releases. Basically rather than going to EB or Gamestop where you might have bought a new release and checked out some discounted or used/closeout people are no longer doing so. Guess time will tell on this one.[/quote]

I find it hard to believe circuit city is going to follow the paths of circuit city. Besides, comp usa was easyy to see as a business to go under eventually. It doesn't take a regional manager to figure that out.

Came from the Edison, nj one, 3 days left and its up to 80% off there now (gaming is 60% off) but not much left really worth it but i got lucky on getting loco roco and gunpey for psp from there.

[quote name='rgtss']He told me that all the "Tag Specials" have been done away with and that GS aquiring EB Games has resulted in stymied competition where consumers will now shop online and places like Best Buy, Target etc. for new releases.[/quote]
This, of course, from the business journal "Duh". No competition and suddenly no good prices. Oh well :(

SI

With 2 CompUSSRs in my local shopping area, I did not purchase a single item from these closing stores. Not a single thing. I would go by every once in a while, looking for a deal, but I was never satisfied with the pricing. Oh well. I hate the stores so I'm looking forward to whatever new will be moving in.

[quote name='daria19']king of prussia, pa store will be closing monday and is at the 60-68% discount level. PC games and movies at 70%. Most movies are $3, lots of copies of final fantasy movie but at $6. Not many console games left (many more pc games at this point), but they are 60% off. Some 360 accessories/360 monster cables.

Computers all gone (except for some junky ancient computers). Couple of tv stands left. Lots of monster cables left plus other random accessories. GPS's gone. Few cheap satellite radios left.[/QUOTE]

I ended up getting a few games from that store yesterday:

Yakuza - $15.99
Samurai Warriors 2: Empires (360) - $15.99
Nacho Libre (DS) - $7.99

They still had a fair amount of PSP games when I left.

[quote name='depascal22']No. They're even less profitable than GS or CC. This will mean death to deals. Best Buy will leave games at full price longer since there will be less competition to drive prices down.[/QUOTE]

Wal-Mart will exist as long as BB does, and that's all the competition they need.

When I said viva la mom & pop, it wasn't in regards to deals; moreso better places to shop. Ever been to the Digital Press store in Clifton, NJ? That's what I'm talking about.

It's amazing how dumb people are when it comes to clearances. I went back to my CUSA since I knew games would be 70% off now and sure enough, there was basically nothing left. This fat, hairy odd looking guy had a stack of games in his grasp and he was getting them just because they were 70% off. And these were CRAP games too. I ended up with one copy of FMA DS for $9. Woohoo.

[quote name='shrike4242']Ran by the Sunset Hills, MO store yesterday, and they were already closed. I'm guessing the other two stores in the St. Louis area should also be closed, though I'll need to try and check the other two stores today.[/QUOTE] Ballwin is also closed, but Bridgeton is open until Monday. If you have any interest in a laptop, go ASAP. I got a great deal on one for 40% off and they still have a decent selection.

[quote name='rarebucky']It's amazing how dumb people are when it comes to clearances. I went back to my CUSA since I knew games would be 70% off now and sure enough, there was basically nothing left. This fat, hairy odd looking guy had a stack of games in his grasp and he was getting them just because they were 70% off. And these were CRAP games too. I ended up with one copy of FMA DS for $9. Woohoo.[/QUOTE]

That's what I don't get. Since when does 15% off (when most of my closest CompUSA's games went for the hills) count as a deal? That barely covers NJ tax...

Unless the employees are hoarding the good shit until the last day. Can't say that I blame them nor would not do what they did.

Went to the Paramus CompUSA on Route 17 in NJ today. They have 3 days left after today. They were pretty cleaned out though. Games were 60% off and were pretty cleaned out. Also hit the one on Route 46W (Forget which town) and today was their last day. They didn't have much either but I did get a nice Belkin laptop dock marked down from $200 to $40. I also picked up Bionicle and Farcry for 360 and Legend of Heroes 3 for PSP.

[quote name='portnoyd']Wal-Mart will exist as long as BB does, and that's all the competition they need.

When I said viva la mom & pop, it wasn't in regards to deals; moreso better places to shop. Ever been to the Digital Press store in Clifton, NJ? That's what I'm talking about.[/QUOTE]

I understood what you meant. We have a local place called Game Craze that I prefer over EB or GameStop now. Never been a big GameStop fan to begin with but I liked EB Games until Gamestop took over and the deals (what there were of them) went away.

One poster said Circuit City is doing fine. They in fact are not. People forget that a month and a half back Circuit City planned to lay off thousands of employee's and then hire them all back at lesser wages to boost their bottom line (http://biz.yahoo.com/bizwk/070329/mar2007pi20070328712708.html?.v=1).

Electronics retailers face many issues indeed.

However, Best Buy's clear advantage in the technology retail sector is the rebate issue. I'm not a big fan of Best Buy either though they have worked hard to get "good floor staff" and have them follow real doctrine now and it shows. The fact however that most (all?) Best Buy rebates are instant is just a HUGE advantage over CC and CompUSA.

I bought two PC's a few years back at Circuit City and literally had to call corporate and file a complaint with our State Attorney General to get my rebates. Corporate did not respond nor return my calls and the local stores were useless in assisting me. After the State Attorney General contacted THEM then they made the effort to contact me. I actually picked up my rebates at the local CC in "cash". The State AG said at the time it was not uncommon and numerous complaints were being addressed. Basically CC saying, "We never received your mail in rebate". The State AG advised that ANY mail in rebates from ANY retailer be sent via certified or delivery confirmation mail.

Best Buy's instant rebate is far more attractive to consumers. If CC or CompUSA has "Item X" and its say $999 - $250 in total mail in rebates and Best Buy has the same item with a $200 instant rebate I will instantly get it at Best Buy rather than either of the other two. Money in the hand is better than waiting that simple for most consumers. It took me nearly 9 months to get the issue settled with Circuit City and they have lost many a lawsuit now trying to find ways to boost bottom lines. For example not paying overtime to employee's and via the employee contract stating that if employee's engage in arbitration (for any reason) that they must PAY CC! Unreal. So your boss harasses you, you want get the matter dealt with via arbitration and you need pay CC to do so! Illegal and they have been hit for it, again, few years back. This company also disallowed (or tried) by contract class actions via employee's, again, illegal.

Point all being however that none of these companies are friendly period. Its about money. They'll be nice nice to you as you have money in your pocket and rights as a consumer. None are too fond of "bargain shoppers".

Like I said, I'm not a Best Buy fan either. I bought a PC there last year as it was a store display. HP 3700+ Athlon w/ a GB Ram, ATI Vidoe, 200 GB HD etc etc. $279 and I whipped out some "Gift Cards" which they initially refused to honor. It was again like pulling teeth to even get the PC at the price noted. Later I found out that a store employee wanted it due to the 3700+ chip, I guess it was a "Hi performance version" of it. Turns out the PC has a 3800+ chip in it, so, he swiped the one that was in it. I really dont care in that it's not a game PC per se. But, this stuff goes to show you.

I like Target, decent deals, aggressive policies when it comes to closeouts and they can do it, they are a company that knows how to treat consumers and be profitable. Walmart is just a money muncher and with so much money they never concerned themselves. They are now word has it getting concerned due to Target.

See... its like this. Target will write off loss against taxable revenues. This is how your closeout game that was $49 is not $12.98. What is left that is warehoused or still full cases (in stores) they will return to the distributor for price protection (in the case of Video Games). Price protection means its returned for credit in "easy terms" of this particular example.

Walmart on the other hand will not do this, they will return each unit for price protection or liquidate (not to end consumers) any units that are damaged and even at times new etc. Walmart will happily take a FULL write off against cost of goods as well if thats financially better. In other words, if "Game XX" is worth more to the company as a tax write off they will liquidate it (again, not to end consumers but to wholesalers/liquidators) rather than sell it direct to you (like Target does AS POLICY). Walmart is more savvy one might say at making sure every red cent of profit and "good finanance" usage comes their way. For example, if its wiser when reviewing costs of returning some game to a distributor a publisher uses vs going liquidation to a liquidator they will do just that or visa versa.

Target one might say is more consumer centric in that they will do REAL closeout deals. They assume that the consumer will appreciate Target's way of doing business and come to Target .vs. Walmart and/or other retailers for future purchases and at least for me, that works. When I wanted a new Gas Grill I went there. When we buy toys for our dog it tends to be there.

You'll notice however that things such as music CD's or DVD's at Target seldom if ever closeout. On these items MUCH more often than you'll ever see in games or software for example the contracts do not allow for closeout. In other words, they are very very concerned that a place like Target might through closeout impact Walmart ordering from them.

These things are often easy to see if you open your eyes. Go to Walmart late at night and you'll see boxes and boxes of stuff usually in the front of the store. Lots of it are returns, lots are not. All that stuff is slated to go to liquidators and those liquidators then sell via tractor trailer loads to other places. Eventually the crap makes its way to shops or eBay etc.

Long and short of it however is how businesses compete against businesses of similar genre goods. Best Buy's instant rebate ability beats CompUSA/Circuit City hands down and thats just an ENORMOUS advantage.

Duluth, GA is very picked over. As far as games go: Only Tony Hawk 8 xbox was in the cage for 70% off 40. They had Madden 07 and NCAA2k7 both for 360 as well. For PC, Doom 3 80% of 50!, had King Kong and the movies. Tried to buy 2k7 (which was my main target in coming back) which I swear was price checked at 30 on Wednesday and it rang up 55 before 70% off. Said no thanks and some other fool swooped on it. Good riddance.

I'll miss the occasional killer advertised deals, manager's specials and blowout clearances as I picked up quite a few good deals and PMed even more, but I won't miss the awful service and overall high prices. Or the game cover printouts in plastic boxes in the game section. WTF!

Ended up getting Legend of Heroes III and Romance of the 3 Kingdoms XI for $12 apiece today. That was after visiting 4 stores, most of which didn't have a single game left. People really bought lots of junk at this sale at awful prices.

Picked up Rag Doll Kung-Fu (Black Belt Edition) for $4 and a PS2 Memory Card adapter for PS3 for $3. (and I don't even have a PS3)

The Novi store did have a 50" Zenith plasma still there for only $600 - if you don't mind that fact that the screen was smashed and there was a note on it saying "warranty will not cover damage".

So long, CompUSA...

The Melbourne store closed Sunday...

best deals (!) were the 150 watt power supplies that were marked 39.99 and the 15 inch CRT's for $149.

I was in the White Plains, NY store at around 6 PM on the day of close. One of the liquidation people announced that everything left was now 95% off.

There wasn't much, of course, but I managed to score 6 City of Villains 60-day time cards ($1.50 each), as well as 3 copies of D&D Online: Stormreach (also $1.50 each), and Prey for Mac ($2.50). Things that won't be going on eBay include two PS2 controller extension cables (.05 each), a Chromehounds strategy guide (.25), and a time card for RYL, a game I'd never even heard of (.15). After my purchases, there weren't any games left in the store.

It's kind of sad to see any store close, especially at the end, when it's in a shambles.

[quote name='yyr']I was in the White Plains, NY store at around 6 PM on the day of close. One of the liquidation people announced that everything left was now 95% off.

There wasn't much, of course, but I managed to score 6 City of Villains 60-day time cards ($1.50 each), as well as 3 copies of D&D Online: Stormreach (also $1.50 each), and Prey for Mac ($2.50). Things that won't be going on eBay include two PS2 controller extension cables (.05 each), a Chromehounds strategy guide (.25), and a time card for RYL, a game I'd never even heard of (.15). After my purchases, there weren't any games left in the store.

It's kind of sad to see any store close, especially at the end, when it's in a shambles.[/QUOTE]

I figured that's what happened last monday at the fairfax Compusa. I was getting a colonoscopy and endoscopy during that time. oh well 95% king kong... whoopie :)

bread's done
Back