CompUSA Store closing-no specific deals YET(Syracuse, NY)

I was up in the Syracuse area on Tuesday for business(auto auction) and took a spin up the road to the Carousel Center. Normally, I don't pay much mind to the stores in there, save for maybe CC and BB, but I notice the CompUSA store is closing there.

Nothing really spectacular at this point, as I think the going out of business sale just started.

If any CAGers in the Syracuse area get to the Carousel anytime soon, please help keep this updated, as I'm not up there EVERY week for business.

Yup, it's part of the 15 CompUSA stores closing across country, lucky for you if you're in the area.

LOL Lucky for me?? Only game I wanted from the closing thus far is Star Trek Shattered Universe, but $14.99 is STILL too much for that game IMO.

And actually, I'm about an hour and a half from the store/mall, I was only up there with a relative who went to the auto auction in Lafayette, NY. Thank GOD though that once we got there, he said I could take off to the Carousel for a spin.

I guess you could say that CAG has ruined me as a consumer for ANY store, even on closing sales, as I wait till the last possible day to see what the final percentage off will be.

If we head back to there prior to the stores actual closing, I may see if anything is left, but I doubt I'd buy a game unless it was UNDER $5 anymore.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']

If we head back to there prior to the stores actual closing, I may see if anything is left, but I doubt I'd buy a game unless it was UNDER $5 anymore.[/quote]

LOL, well then, you're one true CAG, live by CAG attitude and die by CAG attitude.

I went to one yesterday and picked up four copies of Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (the original, not the Greatest Hits version) in addition to some other stuff.

Yea, the lombard store is closing by me and games right now are 10% off. Which is pretty sweet since they have tons of those $5 games left. The only bad thing is without warning before buying the games cut the upc out of it or just but a huge slit in the games upc....

Let me tell you I was very pissed off as I was buying some of those games for my little cousins.

anybody from California able to tell me about the Chino Hills or CIty of Industry CompUSA because I've never seen either one and the website doesn't have those store numbers?.

I know the Lombard, IL is closing, but why is the Naperville store not found in the website? I live like 5 minutes away, and I didn't see signs of it closing, although....you never know.

[quote name='Stoneage']I know the Lombard, IL is closing, but why is the Naperville store not found in the website? I live like 5 minutes away, and I didn't see signs of it closing, although....you never know.[/quote]

If it's not found on the site, that means it's closing.

The one Torrance, CA, next to the Del Amo mall is closing as well though there is like nothing left.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I was up in the Syracuse area on Tuesday for business(auto auction) and took a spin up the road to the Carousel Center. Normally, I don't pay much mind to the stores in there, save for maybe CC and BB, but I notice the CompUSA store is closing there.

Nothing really spectacular at this point, as I think the going out of business sale just started.

If any CAGers in the Syracuse area get to the Carousel anytime soon, please help keep this updated, as I'm not up there EVERY week for business.[/quote]

Damn, im like 2.5 hours away from Syr. :( So i cant just drive down there. Post a list of any good games. Shipping would be really quick (and cheap) if there was anything there that you could pick up (if you're feeling generous ;))

I was in Syracuse last week so I took a look. Most items were a measly %15 off and they announced that it was as low as they were gonna go. I was ready to bite on a 360 but the girl said that she sold the last one a half hour before I asked.

All of the stores closing (for people who can't view pdf's):
Roswall, GA
Lombard, IL
Irving, TX
Bloomfield, MI
Independence, MO
Del Amo (Torrance, CA)
Chino Hills (Chino, CA)
City of Industry, CA
Beverely (Los Angeles, CA)
Memphis, TN
Metro Center (Phoenix, AZ)
Stevens Creek (San Jose, CA)
Stonestown (San Fran., CA)
South Hill (Pullayup, MO)
Syracuse, NY

[quote name='Grifter']I was in Syracuse last week so I took a look. Most items were a measly %15 off and they announced that it was as low as they were gonna go. I was ready to bite on a 360 but the girl said that she sold the last one a half hour before I asked.[/QUOTE]

Hmm that seems kinda strange since the CompUsa here that is closing is going to eventually hit 80% off. At least thats what someone high up in CompUsa told me. So maybe reaching that much off is YMMV???

Well, I'm about 10 minutes away from the Independence, MO Compusa. I may just give it a look tonight. Hmmm, I'd love to get a discount on some Apple products. Too bad they always seem to be exluded from these sales.

EDIT: Also, I realize this isn't a "sale," however, I have a feeling all Apple products will get pulled from the shelves.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I was up in the Syracuse area on Tuesday for business(auto auction) and took a spin up the road to the Carousel Center. Normally, I don't pay much mind to the stores in there, save for maybe CC and BB, but I notice the CompUSA store is closing there.

If any CAGers in the Syracuse area get to the Carousel anytime soon, please help keep this updated, as I'm not up there EVERY week for business.[/quote]

Thanks for the heads up! I live about 5 minutes away from the mall. Heck, I was there last weekend, but I rarely go down to the basement so I had no idea about this.

BTW, besides BB and CC, there's a decent used game store on the 2nd floor near BB called Game Craze, incase you're ever looking for old-school games. It's a local NY chain, and this one is pretty decent. prices can vary from cheap to outrageous, but a good search will usually net you a good deal here and there.

[quote name='mattcube64']Well, I'm about 10 minutes away from the Independence, MO Compusa. I may just give it a look tonight. Hmmm, I'd love to get a discount on some Apple products. Too bad they always seem to be exluded from these sales.

EDIT: Also, I realize this isn't a "sale," however, I have a feeling all Apple products will get pulled from the shelves.[/QUOTE]

All the apple products were only 10% off at my Compusa. So that might save you a trip.

[quote name='mattcube64']Well, I'm about 10 minutes away from the Independence, MO Compusa. I may just give it a look tonight. Hmmm, I'd love to get a discount on some Apple products. Too bad they always seem to be exluded from these sales.

EDIT: Also, I realize this isn't a "sale," however, I have a feeling all Apple products will get pulled from the shelves.[/quote]

Living in Lawrence, I'm curious as to what you find if you head to Independence. Might be worth the drive out there.

SI

[quote name='Xexyz']Thanks for the heads up! I live about 5 minutes away from the mall. Heck, I was there last weekend, but I rarely go down to the basement so I had no idea about this.

BTW, besides BB and CC, there's a decent used game store on the 2nd floor near BB called Game Craze, incase you're ever looking for old-school games. It's a local NY chain, and this one is pretty decent. prices can vary from cheap to outrageous, but a good search will usually net you a good deal here and there.[/quote]

Actually, I was shocked to NOT find a Gamestop or EB in the Carousel Mall the first time I went there. And really, since I became a CAG, I know that I could get many of the games they have in stock at Game Craze for WAY cheaper at Sears or Kmart. So, sadly, that kind of clinched it being a good store for me.

I did, however, find out by checking EB/GS's site that there is one of their stores within like 5-10 miles of there, so next time I'm up there I'm going to see if I can find it.

As for the %'s off not going higher than 10-15%, I find that to be untrue at most store closing sales, but by the time the percentage hits a DECENT amount(which IMO is about 45-50%), most of the good stuff is GONE.

Hell, a couple local Radio Shacks closed around here, I went in within their last week or two of operations and asked if they had anything GOOD left. People seem to go nuts once the % hits 20, which if you ask me is just plain stupid. Of course in most cases, they may transfer alot of better merchandise(computers,other larger items) to other stores NOT closing, to avoid having to sell them for even 5-10% off.

I may be headed back up Syracuse way on Tuesday, if my cousin doesn't sell his vans in Fairfield, NJ at the auction. But, I'll be stuck in Lafayette, so I won't be able to grab anything from the Carousel.q

Well, I just hit the Indpendence, Mo location. Deals were:

10% off computers
40% off books/mags/guides
20% off just about everything else

If you were in the market to make a big purchase, such as a TV or game console, it would be a great deal. I was eyeing some of the monitors for my computer, but at only 20% off, it's really just a small discount after tax.

I'll wait and go every few days to see if the discounts increase. However, the store was really busy, and so most the good stuff will probably get bought before then.

[quote name='mattcube64']Well, I just hit the Indpendence, Mo location. Deals were:

10% off computers
40% off books/mags/guides
20% off just about everything else

If you were in the market to make a big purchase, such as a TV or game console, it would be a great deal. I was eyeing some of the monitors for my computer, but at only 20% off, it's really just a small discount after tax.

I'll wait and go every few days to see if the discounts increase. However, the store was really busy, and so most the good stuff will probably get bought before then.[/quote]

Thanks for the update :)

SI

[quote name='SonicPower']If it's not found on the site, that means it's closing.

The one Torrance, CA, next to the Del Amo mall is closing as well though there is like nothing left.[/quote]

I can confirm that the Naperville store along Route 59 is closing. I picked up Lumnies there earlier today (one or two more copies were still there) for $15 – 15% discount = $13.75. DS games were pretty much all cleared out, but there was still a fair amount of PS2, Xbox, 360, and PSP games remaining. I saw two PSP systems there are well, though all other systems were gone.

[quote name='Zebulunite']I can confirm that the Naperville store along Route 59 is closing. I picked up Lumnies there earlier today (one or two more copies were still there) for $15 – 15% discount = $13.75. DS games were pretty much all cleared out, but there was still a fair amount of PS2, Xbox, 360, and PSP games remaining. I saw two PSP systems there are well, though all other systems were gone.[/QUOTE]

Sweet, going there tomorrow. Thanks for letting me know that.

fuck... stuck here in Bloomington till the end of the week... can't believe the Naperville store is closing after all these years.

My CompUSA isn't on the list of closing stores but it sure looks like they're done carrying video games. They have 0 new release GBA, DS, GC, XB, PS2, PSP games and only a handful of Xbox 360 games. Pretty much all the games they do have on are on manager special. I bought a big stack of games for $5 each and 1 game (Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories) for $10.

I also got a 7" portable DVD player for $30, which I don't think was a manger's special but a national reduction.

By the way, doesn't this thread belong on the regional board?

Went by the CompUSA in Irving, TX earlier. They had a truckload of "meh" games at 20% off. I don't think they're going anywhere for a while, so I'm gonna check back in a couple of weeks to see if the discount has steepened to pick up some of the sweeter titles.

Went to the one in Independence, MO and picked up Lotr: Third Age for $15 - 20%. More importantly, talked to the guy working there. He said they do clearance updates typically on Wednesday and it's by department so it's not a universal drop (ie everything at 10% goes to 20%) but it does go by bunches of stuff (ie all monitors go from 20% to 30%- that kind of thing).

SI

Yeah, the Syracuse, NY Comp USA store lost a ton of business after we came in. Best Buy is still going strong, but they have noticed a big hit in their numbers as well. BB isn't going anywhere anytime soon and neither are we (CC).

However the games don't follow the same prices as the other stores. For example the the clearance of NCAA MVP 06 at some stores for $9ish isn't applicable at this location. NHL 2k6 and NBA 2k6 were at $39.99

bread's done
Back